• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

stuminus3

~$120 for me this time. I didn't think I was spending so much. That's picked me up around 40 (!) new games though, $3 per game is much better than paying a full $50-$60 for a brand new game, considering the quality of the titles I've picked up this last week. These Indie bundles have been amazing but they sure do add to the backlog!

I spent about the same during the Halloween sale recently for far less games, so that's another plus for the Indie bundles.

Red

Sinatar said:
Yea I bought Flotilla back when it first came out, all excited over it since it had that Homeworld look to it. Terrible game. It's like someone decided to remake Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and suck all the fun right out of it.
I have 154 games on Steam and I'm pretty confident in calling Flotilla the worst, by a large margin :lol

Still, it doesn't really diminish the value of the air pack, which I still totally recommend.
Diablohead said:
Dear GAF, buy Dirt 2 and use some light mods I made to make your game look like this:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2vb7toz.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/9vjv2p.png[IMG]

That is all.[/QUOTE]
Source for these?

Askani

Sinatar said:
Yea I bought Flotilla back when it first came out, all excited over it since it had that Homeworld look to it. Terrible game. It's like someone decided to remake Strange Adventures in Infinite Space and suck all the fun right out of it.

Crunched said:
I have 154 games on Steam and I'm pretty confident in calling Flotilla the worst, and by a large margin :lol

Still, it doesn't really diminish the value of the air pack, which I still totally recommend.

You guys are depressing me. I was hoping Flotilla would be good. :(

ChoklitReign said:
Is Monkey Island 2 easier than the first one? I quit that one early because there was a route that I never would have guessed without a guide. I don't like adventure games that I need a guide to solve every puzzle.
Puzzle difficulty is subjective, but I would say it's harder. Most of the puzzles are fair though and the built-in hint system is helpful.

coopolon

Steam doesn't want me to buy Dirt 2. Tried installing the demo, when I launched it wanted to install something called Rupture3d, fine, let it install, then whenever I try to launch the game it just takes me to the Dirt 2 Steam Page. Weird.

Lumine

John said:
it's ok. very straightforward, a couple of memorable moments. i stopped when
the rolling exploding meatballs
popped up.

Thanks. That's kind of what I expected. Still contemplating.. but I guess I can wait for another sale in the future.

Red

Askani said:
Honestly I probably haven't played enough to have a valid opinion (just did the first couple stages). It's just very slow, needlessly so, and the camera keeps pointing away from the action randomly so that it's very difficult to see what's going on. Perhaps it gets better, but after ten minutes with it I just don't want to play it anymore.

You can adjust the camera yourself, but for some reason it keeps getting "stuck" at odd angles, or behind geometry, so that no matter where I position it all I see is like a floating bubble or empty space.

Askani

Crunched said:
Honestly I probably haven't played enough to have a valid opinion (just did the first couple stages). It's just very slow, needlessly so, and the camera keeps pointing away from the action randomly so that it's very difficult to see what's going on. Perhaps it gets better, but after ten minutes with it I just don't want to play it anymore.

Meh. I was pretty much sold on the pack as soon as I saw GSB was in it, and I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of Altitude and Plain Sight (once my internet is back up at home). Not a make or break deal for this to be a buy, was just hoping for good things.

thundr51

Kinda interested in Dirt2 but a few questions...

1. Can I use my G25?
2. What kind of settings can I expect with a Nvidia 9600GSO?

Crunched said:

You can adjust the camera yourself, but for some reason it keeps getting "stuck" at odd angles, or behind geometry, so that no matter where I position it all I see is like a floating bubble or empty space.
The game is slow. I like that, but that's me. The only time the pace got frustrating was going through a big, slow battle only to be quickly defeated in one or two turns. I had no problems with the camera.

Schmattakopf said:
If anyone on my Steam friends list wants L&G, join a pack, and I will pay for you.

John

Lumine said:
Thanks. That's kind of what I expected. Still contemplating.. but I guess I can wait for another sale in the future.
if you expected rolling exploding meatballs then i don't know what to say

Rufus

cw_sasuke said:
Same here.... got two error messages while purchasing.
I use Click & Buy, PayPal didn't even work back when they still charged us in Dollars (oh, how I wish they still did). Never had any problems with their service.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Captain Blood said:
Well I officially made it through a Steam holiday sale without buying a thing. Bring on Christmas!!
2hmkjds.jpg

Salaadin

Prophet Steve said:
Should I run Metro decently with a AMD Athlon X2 at 2.0Ghz, 2GB Ram and a HD4770? I don´t think my CPU will let it play well.

Im reading that my HD5850 and i5 750 cant even handle it all that well on Highest

vocab

Salaadin said:
Im reading that my HD5850 and i5 750 cant even handle it all that well on Highest

That's my system, and it can handle just fine on Dx 10 on 1080p high.

Dx11, and Very high Dx10 (playable, but I prefer the fps of high) is where the problems start to happen because of the ridiculous effects they got going on.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, that's the Indie Air pack bought. I thought I was going to get away with not buying anything today but Gratuitous Space Battles intrigued me, the only thing putting me off was the price.

Anyway, you win this round Steam, just wait until the Holiday sale, I promise you I wont buy anything.

Until the servers stabilise after they inevitably fall over at 6pm each day.

vocab said:

Dx11, and Very high Dx10 (playable, but I prefer the fps of high) is where the problems start to happen because of the ridiculous effects they got going on.
Think I´ll try it then, it´s on XP anyway. And I´ll probably upgrade my PC ever.

Salaadin

vocab said:

Sounds good. I didnt want to jump to a conclusion until I tried it myself. At least now I know where to begin..thanks :D

This sale isn't half bad. I'll probably get in on some pack action for lead and gold and the new Monkey island pack is a deal(I'm never gonna finish this franchise at the rate I'm purchasing haha).

Also, flotilla has criminal space cats on the lamb from the coppers so the indie air pack is a gogogo!

The only thing that kinda sucks is that metro2033 doesn't scale well at all. It really puts me off and I was really excited about it before hearing those things. Maybe in a spring or summer sale.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Last day of sales are really awesome. I think I'll pick up metro 2033, dirt 2 & monkey island 2. My dad and brother will be pleased.:lol

vocab

Salaadin said:
Sounds good. I didnt want to jump to a conclusion until I tried it myself. At least now I know where to begin..thanks :D

New drivers gave the game the boost it needed to run better. At release it kind of felt sloppy.

The only thing that would interest me is Monkey Island and I already have it. Is Metro 2033 any good? A guy owns me 10$, I guess I could use it on Metro or Iphone apps.

Smash88

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
The only thing that would interest me is Monkey Island and I already have it. Is Metro 2033 any good? A guy owns me 10$, I guess I could use it on Metro or Iphone apps.

Metro if you have the graphics card for it. Amazing visuals, as well as some good gameplay.

Flotilla and Void are the two games I wish I could send back.

There's a germ of something fun there, and maybe I just need to learn it better, but I am just bored most of the time.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, anyone who didn't see something they wanted during this sale must have some weird tastes.

I'll definitely be picking up Dirt 2 a little later.

Wallach

Sgt.Pepper said:

My brother let me play it and I was not super impressed with the gameplay. Gorgeous graphics and excellent environment design, though. I don't think I'd have a problem paying $10 for it.

Crunched said:
Source for these?
My HDD :lol I play around with the lighting quite often, sometimes I get good results and lots of times I get some funky weird ugly shit going on. The 2nd image there was from a good tweak I made but I lost the files, i'm sure I could make it again in about half a day when I get time.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Eh, this sale has been a bust for me (which is good, wallet-wise). Only thing of interest today is Metro 2033 and I'll wait until that's in a THQ-package before I buy it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Geoff9920 said:
Come on, man. You can't just drop gorgeous screens like that and not tell us where to get the mods. That shit ain't right! :p
I agree. It came with my videocard a long time ago. I want those mods.

diztrukted said:
amazon.com (for 34.95 i think)
http://www.impulsedriven.com/daultimate (for 24.97)
I'm quite torn about adding a second service and having my library split. That and RE5 for $10 are quite tempting, and I mean I really want Dragon Age. I never finished it on PS3 and I know the improvements of PC over that version. But still, splitting the library would be irritating, and I have confidence that Steam will last as a
(fantastic)
service, but don't know about Impulse. It will no doubt go on sale eventually... gaaahhhh what to do...

Top Bottom