• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
vocab said:
First one to quote this post gets to either choose to get a free copy of KOTOR or Monkey Island 2.

QUICK
Oh nice, KOTOR on my PC!

... if you still have it?

Nabs said:
It'll eat it for dinner. Buy now.
i now have a racing game, damn :lol

overall the games i bought from this sale:

Indie Puzzle Pack

Indie Pulse Pack

Orange Box

Dirt 2

Supreme Commander 2

King's Bounty collection

All in all around 33$.

not bad for my first Steam purchases, it will continue during the Christmas, i still didn't reach my limit so i am looking forward to it.

SilverLunar said:
i now have a racing game, damn :lol

All in all around 33$.

not bad for my first Steam purchases, it will continue during the Christmas, i still didn't reach my limit so i am looking forward to it.

Good list. Could have done without Supcom 2 though.

Yeah, I got it too.

ZZMitch

Do I need to play the original Monkey Island to play this one on sale?

I don't know anything about the series, have 2.50$ left on my budget and it looks interesting so....

Hixx

Batman GotY
GTA 4: EFLC
KoTOR
DiRT 2

£17.

And apparently the christmas sales are even better? Damn.

My backlog is now larger than it has been in ages.

Does anyone have a leftover copy of Recettear from their indie pack that they bought? I missed that deal because I wasn't near a computer and it kills me. I wanted to play that game and $5 was a sweet spot for me. I'll gift swap a copy of KoTOR or something for it.

Fireflu

Steam still wont let me buy my stuff : ((!

Please steam, you should have my money, i know i need it but i think you should take it anyway D:>

ZZMitch said:
Do I need to play the original Monkey Island to play this one on sale?

I don't know anything about the series, have 2.50$ left on my budget and it looks interesting so....
do you like adventure games?? i did try all kind of critically acclaimed ones like Broken Sword, Myst, Monkey Island, 7th Guest....and non of them really clicked with me, i think the genre isn't for me.

so if you like the genre go for it, it is cheap afterall.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Metro 2033... heard a lot about it. Is it like Stalker? (didn't dig it at all).

Beat Hazard also seems interesting for some quick dumb co-op fun. Can it be played with 2 360 controllers? =P

ZZMitch

SilverLunar said:
do you like adventure games?? i did try all kind of critically acclaimed ones like Broken Sword, Myst, Monkey Island, 7th Guest....and non of them really clicked with me, i think the genre isn't for me.

so if you like the genre go for it, it is cheap afterall.

I have actually never really played any point and click adventures... I did buy Machinarium and I guess I will buy this one as well. I just wanted to know if I should play the first one before I play this one.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is it terrible that I'm tempted to double dip on KotOR despite having owned a physical copy for years?

No takers on the Bioshock trade from last page and I'd rather someone play it than sit in my gifts queue, so...

The Buffalo Sabres have had the last two consecutive AHL Rookie of the Year in their system. Who were they?

Player 1:
Player 2:

First person who names both players gets a copy of Bioshock.

Hint: Small

Nabs

gregor7777 said:
No takers on the Bioshock trade from last page and I'd rather someone play it than sit in my gifts queue, so...

The Buffalo Sabres have had the last two consecutive AHL Rookie of the Year in their system. Who were they?

Player 1: Tyler Ennis
Player 2: Nathan Gerbe

?:lol

ZZMitch

gregor7777 said:

Player 1: Tyler Ennis
Player 2:Nathan Gerbe

?

edit- nooooooo
:lol

verbatimo

Damages to my wallet:

Alpha Protocol
Warhammer 40,000 DOW II - Chaos Rising
Puzzle Quest 2
Mount and Blade: Warband
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
-------------
22,99€

Damn you steam.

Aon

Relix said:
Metro 2033... heard a lot about it. Is it like Stalker? (didn't dig it at all).

Sorta, Metro plays like Half Life but treats itself like STALKER narrative and setting wise.

Joe Molotov

- Alpha Protocol = $7.50
- Indie Energy Pack = 4.99
- Indie Story Pack - 4.99
- Prototype = 14.99
- CitiesXL 2011 = 9.99
- Blur = 14.99
- Arma II: Combined Operations = 22.49
- Patrician IV = 10.00
---------------------------------------------------
Total = 89.94

And my bank account survived intact...this time.

ZZMitch

Well this was my first Steam Sale with a gaming PC :lol

Here were my gains-
Borderlands - 10$
Machinarium - 5$
Defense Grid - 2.50$
Left 4 Dead 2 - 5$
Lara Croft - 7.50$
Galcon Fusion - 2.50$
Pulse Pack - 5$
Cod4 - 15$
Puzzle Pack - 5$
Dirt 2 - 5$
Metro 2033 - 10$
KOTOR - 2.50$
Monkey Island 2 - 2.50$
Half Life 2 - Free (Thanks thundr51 :D )

Budget - 70$
Final Price - 77.50$

oops

Almost doubled my Steam game count though!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Aon said:
Sorta, Metro plays like Half Life but treats itself like STALKER narrative and setting wise.

Nah setting and narrative didn't turn me off from Stalker, it was the game play and, surprisingly, the open-endness. I like my FPS to be a bit more linear, Half Life was PERFECT for me. If this is like Half Life in that sense then auto-buy for me. Is it?

amrod

You now own Lead and Gold - Gangs of the Wild West, Aliens vs. Predator, Aliens vs Predator, Aliens vs Predator Dedicated Server, DiRT 2, Altitude, Gratuitous Space Battles, DogFighter, Plain Sight, Flotilla, Monkey Island 2: Special Edition, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Metro 2033.

You now own Osmos, Mount & Blade, Mount and Blade: Warband, Shatter, Droplitz, Cogs, Tidalis, Puzzle Dimension.

You now own Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City, NyxQuest, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, King's Bounty: The Legend, King's Bounty: Crossworlds, King's Bounty: Crossworlds Editor, Audiosurf, Rhythm Zone, Beat Hazard, BIT.TRIP BEAT, The Polynomial.

You now own Blur, Machinarium, World of Goo, Iron Grip: Warlord, Iron Grip: Warlord Dedicated Server, Eufloria, Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time, VVVVVV.

You now own Puzzle Quest 2, Alpha Protocol, DeathSpank, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days, Gish, And Yet It Moves, Puzzle Agent, Jolly Rover, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale.

You now own Sam & Max 301: The Penal Zone, Sam & Max 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak, Sam & Max 303: They Stole Max's Brain!, Sam & Max 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls, Sam & Max 305: The City that Dares not Sleep, Shank, GridRunner Revolution, BRAINPIPE: A Plunge to Unhumanity, QuantZ, Galcon Fusion, ProtoGalaxy.

Total spent... I dont even wanna know lol

Joe Molotov

Ifrit said:
I really want to say no to MI2:SE but I can't

*takes out wallet*

Fuck you Steam

moYsu.jpg

stuminus3

I thought this Steam Wallet business would be good for managing myself during sales... better to manage a budget, and better to have a lump sum available instead of freaking out my credit card company with lots of little Steam purchases (they have actually shut down my card for this, lol)... I figure going forward I could just throw a few bucks in every couple of months and be fine with that...

...but now I have $39 just sitting there and it's driving me crazy. :lol

Joe Molotov

stuminus3 said:
I thought this Steam Wallet business would be good for managing myself during sales... better to manage a budget, and better to have a lump sum available instead of freaking out my credit card company with lots of little Steam purchases (they have actually shut down my card for this, lol)... I figure going forward I could just throw a few bucks in every couple of months and be fine with that...

That sounds like a good idea, but I would just spend it all immediately. Once real money has been turned into fake spacebucks, then in my head it's like the games have suddenly become free. :lol Every time I have a XBLA point card, I blow through it in like 5 minutes and end up buying stupid stuff on impulse like avatar clothes.

benjipwns

Banned
Indie Packs were so awesome. Got 18 games for $20. (Already had two of them from one of those pay what you want Indie packs. I think I've bought World of Goo three times now.) Most of which I can play on my cheapo laptop, so yay! (Also picked up Cities XL 2011 because of that stacking error that made it 75% off, can't figure it'll be cheaper than $10 for a while since it just came out and the original game didn't go down in price for years. Too bad it's already crashed once on me. :lol)

Iron Grip: Warlord might be the surprise win out of the packs for me. Especially since there's apparently a big update on the way.
Ben2749 said:
Is there anything particularly amazing in the Indie Air Pack? Nothing jumps out at me, which I'm actually pleased about, as I've spent too much money as it is. And since I already have other means of playing the other games that interest me (Monkey Island 2, Peggle, and KoTOR), I won't have to spend any money at all today if I'm not missing out on much with the Indie Air Pack.
Try the Altitude, Dogfighter and Gratuitous Space Battles demos. I knew nothing about them, but after playing around in the demos and tutorials for 15-20 minutes I could see getting at least a dollars worth out each of them. And I've seen positive stuff about Flotilla and Plain Sight so I bought it.

Altitude is really fun, more so than I thought it would be, I missed all the free weekends but I can see playing it for a few hours which at a buck is great. GSB looks like a game I could get lots of time out of. Dogfighter was just silly fun to play, might get a couple hours out of it too, I loved Crimson Skies on Xbox and it plays a bit, to me at least, like a less realistic version of that when using the 360 pad.

Dambrosi

Banned
My second Steam Sale, and I got all these:

Indie Story Pack (mainly for Recettear...oh okay, ONLY for Recettear)
King's Bounty Platinum Collection
Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light
Beat Hazard

...that's it? I thought I'd bought more :lol

Total cost £18.23.

Would have gotten Metro 2033, but I ran out of cash - besides, I've barely played STALKER yet! :lol

ZZMitch

stuminus3 said:

Where does one find their steam wallet/add money too it? :D

edit- nvm found it

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
After being there every day for 5 massive Steam sales over the past years, I've learned to restrain myself pretty well, considering I haven't touched three quarters of the games I've bought since January. Super happy with what I got, and what I spent:

Lara Croft: 7.50
Monkey Island 2: 2.50

That's it! And I'm playing Lara Croft right now! I'm a changed man.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Asked this last time Metro 2033 was on sale but I dunno if I got an answer or not.
Will it run at a E8500 C2D @ 3.16ghz without looking like butt?

GPU is a HD5870 so that's no issue really.

stuminus3

Joe Molotov said:
Every time I have a XBLA point card, I blow through it in like 5 minutes and end up buying stupid stuff on impulse like avatar clothes.
Yup. :lol

This is why XBL cards are worth allards and not dollars and why the number of points on them never exactly jive with the cost of things on XBL. Don't let Microsoft ever tell you otherwise because they are liars!

I'm just thankful I've got $39.75, I'm 24 cents off being able to waste it all on a single $39.99 game. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Easy_D said:
Asked this last time Metro 2033 was on sale but I dunno if I got an answer or not.
Will it run at a E8500 C2D @ 3.16ghz without looking like butt?

GPU is a HD5870 so that's no issue really.

Yes. Should be able to run at 1080p with most stuff on medium and a decent framerate.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Stumpokapow said:
Yes. Should be able to run at 1080p with most stuff on medium and a decent framerate.
I assume Medium in Metro 2033 terms is still pretty sexy? I'll also assume decent framerate means at least 30 frames per second?

Or does Metro run so bad it has its own scale of what's decent or not? :lol.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Yeah will get Metro. Sounds Half Life, with worse shooting mechanics and a better atmosphere. What can go wrong :lol

stuminus3

Easy_D said:
I assume Medium in Metro 2033 terms is still pretty sexy? I'll also assume decent framerate means at least 30 frames per second?

Or does Metro run so bad it has its own scale of what's decent or not? :lol.
My 5770 runs it very well on high at 1600x900 (well over 30fps on average for sure) so you should be good, you've got the better GPU. It runs pretty well on very high too but there's a few scenes with this crazy volumetric lighting that just kills it, and as far as I know there's no way to turn that one single effect off. There's two DX11-exclusive effects that can be turned on separately, those murder the framerate too (some advance DOF effect, and tesselation, though the latter isn't so intensive). Yes, it still looks sexy.

Top Bottom