• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

stuminus3

tahrikmili said:
Is Dirt 2 worth it? I hated the physics of the first one..
Good gravy, yes. The only problem with Dirt 2 is there's a lack of focus on pure old-fashioned rally, in favor of lots of different race modes and X-games logos plastered all over the place. Otherwise it's the sexiest racer you'll ever spend $5 on. It's much better than the first Dirt, if that's your concern.

Oh man, the Dirt 2 Demo is gorgeous. Since throwing in another stick of RAM that thing runs at like 100FPS in game on my rig now. Fun to play too. I think I'll hit the gas on this deal.

Scotch

Mount and Blade: Warband - €5
Star Wars: KOTOR - €2.25
Dirt 2 - €5
Just Cause 2 - €5.88
Trine - €1.99

Total: €20.12

Not too shabby. There were a bunch of deals I was interested in but they didn't hit the sweet spot (around €5 for me). Hopefully I will pick them up this Christmas.

I'm not a big fan of the indie packs by the way. I hate buying a pack for only one or two games I'm interested in, and having three games I'll never play clutter up my library. I'd rather pay €2 per game.

Dirt 2 is amazing. Don't even hesitate if you're thinking about it. It's my first and only Codemasters racing game, too. Certainly not the last.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
DiRT 2 is pretty good, except that these days it runs like absolute shit for some reason, I used to be able to max it out and have pretty damn good framerates, even with the novelty tesselation effects. These days? Nope.

I blame ATI and their shitty drivers.

Edit: Yes I am an angry man[/Edit]
stuminus3 said:
My 5770 runs it very well on high at 1600x900 (well over 30fps on average for sure) so you should be good, you've got the better GPU. It runs pretty well on very high too but there's a few scenes with this crazy volumetric lighting that just kills it, and as far as I know there's no way to turn that one single effect off. There's two DX11-exclusive effects that can be turned on separately, those murder the framerate too (some advance DOF effect, and tesselation, though the latter isn't so intensive). Yes, it still looks sexy.
I bet you have a better CPU than I have, hence me worrying, I'm on an aging dual core after all :D.

Fireflu

Right finally managed to get the final bulk of the goodies off steam, total damage comes to...:

- Deus Ex 1
- Deus Ex 2
- Borderlands
- Batman: AA
- Kane & Lynch 2
- Torchlight
- GTA Episodes
- Galcon Fusion
- Just Cause 2
- Osmos
- Trine
- Lead & Gold
- Dirt 2
- Metro 2033
- KOTOR
- Indie Pulse Pack
- Indie Puzzle Pack
- Indie Air Pack

...Gorram it steam! Backlog eternal!!!

Flunkie

Banned
:( I want all the Indie Packs back!! I want all of them now! :(

Do you guys think the Indie Packs will return for the Christmas sale?

Fredescu

Dirt 2 is great. I'm not a hardcore rally fan, so I loved that there was a good mix of race modes. I'm a little disappointed that Dirt 3 is going to head further in the rally direction than 2. I would love a sequel or spinoff to Dirt 2 to use the handling and visuals and take the rest of the game in an even more arcade racer direction. I'm told to wait for the Grid sequel for that.

Anyway, rambling about that aside, I'm not a huge racer fan, but Dirt 2 is really fantastic. It looks great, and the handling is such that once you have a feel for it you can really get into it. It sort of reminds me of a good platformer in that respect, in that getting a feel for the motion is really rewarding, and it becomes better as you get better at it. I've heard a lot of sim guys complain about the handling, and that's fine I guess if that's what you're into. If you're not normally a racing or driving game fan, you should really give Dirt 2 a shot. At $5 it's amazing. Buy!

As for Metro 2033, if they removed the monsters from that game and left the rest it would probably be a pretty good game. As it is, I'm not much of fan. The atmosphere is nice, and I really like the way they present the story. The combat is fun when you're fighting humans. It's just, the monsters, bleh.

Spwn

I knew I was gonna pick some indie games this weekend, but Steam blew me away.

And Yet It Moves
Puzzle Agent
Jolly Rover
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
World of Goo
Iron Grip: Warlord
Eufloria
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
VVVVVV
Machinarium
Rhythm Zone
BIT.TRIP BEAT
The Polynomial
Gratuitous Space Battles
DogFighter
Plain Sight
Flotilla

17 new games to play. This is madness!

stuminus3

Easy_D said:
I bet you have a better CPU than I have, hence me worrying, I'm on an aging dual core after all :D.
True, I have an i5 750, not exactly high end but still a quad. I don't think Metro is so CPU intensive though.

Raxus

Joe Molotov said:
moYsu.jpg
I am saving this for the Christmas sale coming up.

mantidor

god damn steam I was expecting to not spend so much, but you had to make those indie packs, didn't you? at least I was strong enough to not get the pulse pack, I already have most of the games except for polynomial and I didn't like the demo of that one.

stuminus3

HixxSAFC said:
Quick question: the widescreen 'fix' for KotOR won't get my Steam account... banned or anything will it?
It's technically possible for them to know what you've got in that folder, but they'll never in a million years ban you for it, the uproar would be epic. It's not Valve's style to care.

KaYotiX

Banned
was gonna buy alot of games this weekend but im gonna wait for the Xmas sale like i did last year. I think i spent $100 in games that lasted me all this year easy :D

LOVE STEAM!!!

zugzug

Forkball said:
How many times is KotOR going to go on sale? Does it have to reach a certain number of sales before we finally get KotOR II on Steam?

I still cannot get it to run properly on my windows 7 64x system $2.50 dud purchase for me. tried changing a few thing and setting it to run under winxp mode no luck

Hixx

stuminus3 said:
It's technically possible for them to know what you've got in that folder, but they'll never in a million years ban you for it, the uproar would be epic. It's not Valve's style to care.
John said:
Rufus said:
I don't see why it would...

Cheers lads. Just booted it up to test it out and for a 7 (has it really been that long?!) year old game it looks awesome with the wide-screen patch.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Picked up:

Batman
Kane & Lynch 2
Splinter Cell
Lara Croft
Kings Bounty: Crossworlds

Wonder when I'll get round to playing them, all I've been playing recently is WoW and SC2.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I got Lara Croft (awesome, never would have thought how good it is) and Bit.Trip Beat (omgz), that's it.

Anyone still searching for someone taking one of their gift pack games?

Damn it. I ended up buckling and buying KoTOR and Monkey Island 2, despite already owning them on XBox and XBLA, respectively. In all fairness though, £3.50 for both isn't a lot, and it will be nice to play them on a PC.

All in all, these are the games I've bought since downloading Steam only five days ago (man, I sure as hell chose a bad week for it):

Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
Cogs
Droplitz
Eufloria
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Left 4 Dead 2
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Mount and Blade: Warband
Poker Night at the Inventory
The Polynomial
Portal
Puzzle Dimension
Rhythm Zone
Sam & Max 301: The Penal Zone
Sam & Max 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak
Sam & Max 303: They Stole Max's Brain!
Sam & Max 304: Beyond the Alley of the Dolls
Sam & Max 305: The City that Dares not Sleep
Shatter
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Super Meat Boy
Team Fortress 2
Tidalis
VVVVVV
World of Goo

That's £46.41 in total. The only reason I downloaded Steam at all was to get Super Meat Boy!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know this is going to be a big barrier for Gaf to overcome as people don't seem to be familiar with the basics of getting help for issues on a computer game that runs on their personal computer but for fucks sake just list the goddamn specs on your machine so we can figure out why KOTOR is having issues. Don't PM me about it, I don't have some bullshit dark magic hacks up my sleeve to get it working. For the record I have played the game on an Intel Q9400, 4 gb of DDR3 ram, a 5850, and win 7 64-bit. The widescreen hack worked just fine as did the fixed hud. The game didn't crash at all and allowed me to force disgusting amounts of AA without any graphical glitches. I was up to date on drivers for ATI so it has been tested at the very least up to the 10.9's. Oh yeah I was also able to profile the game in Alchemy for my Sound Blaster Audigy card so I could get those sound settings.

Tonight I will try the game out on my current rig, i5 570, 4 gb DDR3 ram, and a nv 460 and win 7 64-bit.

In the mean time bitch about how you wasted 2.50$ one some fucking words in your steam game list. I mean you didn't even get a disc as a coaster so you should have a suitable amount of rage pent up.

Mairu

Total purchases from steam during holiday sale:
Aliens vs Predator
Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Indie Air Pack
Star Wars: KOTOR
Indie Puzzle Pack
Just Cause 2
Mount and Blade: Warband
Osmos
Indie Pulse Pack
Lara Croft GOL
King's Bounty: Collection
Red Faction Guerrilla
NyxQuest
Puzzle Quest 2
Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
Freedom Force
Indie Clever Pack
Indie Story Pack

Don't feel like calculating the total cost of all that, but it's a hell of a lot than it would've cost without all these sales :lol

Baha

Picked up:

Alpha Protocol
Defense Grid
Kane & Lynch 2
Indie Story Pack
Indie Clever Pack
Just Cause 2

Also got gifted Osmos (thank you Speculawyer)

Decent haul and I didn't spend too much. Bracing for the Christmas sale :D .

D3RANG3D

My Steam deals damage is:

All Five indie Packs

Dirt2

Metro 2033

AVP

Machinarium

Torchlight

Orangebox

Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light.

An-Det

Finally, an Indie pack that I dont have any games for already. Totally bought.

I bought every Indie Pack during this sale, so totaling those plus the rest, I bought:

Defense Grid Map Packs
Gish
And Yet it Moves
Puzzle Agent
Jolly Rover
Recettear
Audiosurf
Machinarium
World of Goo
Eufloria
VVVVVV
GTA: Episodes From Liberty City
Rhythm Zone
Beat Hazard
BIT.TRIP.BEAT
The Polynomial
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
King's Bounty: The Legend, Armored Princess, Crossworlds
Altitude
Gratuitous Space Battles
Dogfighter
Plain Sight
Flotilla
Droplitz
Cogs
Tidalis
Puzzle Dimension

Remember kids, buy as much as you can on Steam. Once you do the power of sales over you are meaningless since you already own it all.

Got:

Deus Ex
L4D2
And Yet It Moves
Doc CLock
Gish
VVVVVVV
Recettear
Eufloria
Iron Grip
Jolly Rover
Puzzle Agent
World of Goo

Not bad for about $17.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dirt 2 and Metro get.
Now where can I get info about that HDD Linking thing :lol :lol Will install my TB HDD for this, need the space.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Holy shit, AvP is 15 gigs...

Anyways, my pickups:
Alpha Protocol
ARMA 2 Combined Ops
Tropico 3 w/ Absolute Power
Indie Puzzle Pack
L4D2
Aliens versus Predator

Tropico 3 is awesome, btw. I feel sorry for everyone who missed the deal and didn't already have it.

Dennis

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Holy shit, AvP is 15 gigs...

Anyways, my pickups:
Alpha Protocol
ARMA 2 Combined Ops
Tropico 3 w/ Absolute Power
Indie Puzzle Pack
L4D2
Aliens versus Predator

Tropico 3 is awesome, btw. I feel sorry for everyone who missed the deal and didn't already have it.
ARMA 2 and its expansions are some of the best gaming ever made. Its just......different. Really different. For some people it just clicks immediately for others they kind of have to give it time.

UrbanRats

Ok, i'll post mine:

NyxQuest.
Lara Croft Guardian of Light.
Machinarium.
Rhythm Zone.
Beat Hazard.
Bit Trip Beat.
The Polynomial.
Metro 2033.
Dirt 2.
Super Meat Boy (forgot about it XD)

And from Gamers Gate, Still Life 1&2.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
DennisK4 said:
ARMA 2 and its expansions are some of the best gaming ever made. Its just......different. Really different. For some people it just clicks immediately for others they kind of have to give it time.
I have a dual core and the game refuses to run well on it, so I'm going to wait until I upgrade my CPU to really get into it.

Dennis

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
I have a dual core and the game refuses to run well on it, so I'm going to wait until I upgrade my CPU to really get into it.
Yeah its a fucking beast.

It can't be maxed out.

When you set the View Distance slider to maximum and enable the in-game SuperSampling AA you will get a slideshow. And when you enter an urban area your rig catches fire :lol

Red

tahrikmili said:
Is Dirt 2 worth it? I hated the physics of the first one..
It is an incredible game. My only problem with it is you're frequently stuck having to sit through extended "sticker slapping" screens after races, showing you all these bars you're filling. I've played it for a few hours and still haven't discovered how to skip them. They're a huge pain in the ass, but the game proper is certainly worth $5. It's great.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
During the sale, picked up
King's Bounty Platinum 7.00$
Chaos Rising, 5$
Nxyquest 1.5$
Mount and Blade Warband, 5.84.$

Now even 20$ and I pretty much got everything I want. Don't know what I'm going to do when the winter sale comes. I may have to actually.... play what I bought :O

Ledsen

BobsRevenge said:
:lol :lol :lol

So true. Even on my 5850 I was getting lots of fps issues. The game hates AMD.

But Cryostasis kept you moving and the game had a great tension to it. Any enemy could fuck you up if you weren't careful, and the health mechanics put a forward momentum on it all. The story was also oddly involving because it almost made sense, and I kept wanting to get some new pieces to try to get it to fit altogether. By the end it sort of made sense, and then it fucking blows your mind.

With Metro there is less forward momentum. The story sucks, the characters don't have any development and are incredibly unimportant, and the combat is basically obnoxious. It's like a mildly improved STALKER molded into a COD game that takes away almost all the good things about STALKER.

The insanely awesome atmosphere alone makes Metro 2033 at least an 8/10, and on top of that it's actually a very good, tense game. You didn't mention the atmosphere at all though. The graphical/sound effects when putting on the gas mask instantly made me fall in love with the game :D Then again, I'm an atmosphere whore and games like Far Cry 2 and Metro (they are similar in many ways) are some of my favourite games ever. Personally I also love the shooting mechanics, and was really surprised when after I finished the game and read about it on GAF, I found out that apparently some people don't like the controls.

Friend and I picked up Operation: Arrowhead. Really enjoying it so far, forgot how great ARMA is, and I'm digging the visual look of OA. For some reason, just looks a lot "cleaner" than ARMA 2.

Top Bottom