• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadstar

I'm starting to slide into the "This Steam Sale sucks" crowd. Was expecting more sales for 75%+ off like previous years instead of the predominate 50% we're receiving. FTL should be 66% at the least IMO.

I'm sure Valve will see that less people are buying things this sale compared to previous years and hopefully they'll revert back to great sales in the summer and next winter.

Danj

I'm starting to slide into the "This Steam Sale sucks" crowd. Was expecting more sales for 75%+ off like previous years instead of the predominate 50% we're receiving. FTL should be 66% at the least IMO.

ROFL what? FTL is one of the best value sales so far, it's all the others that have been rubbish.

Don't worry people. I asked Steam Support to improve the sale. Hold tight while we get amazing sales tomorrow!
WuR81.png

Petrie

Banned
Obvious to who? They can either honor it or give a refund. The same as the others who sold their bundles here. They also told everyone they would honor it in mid January and have since rescinded.

If you claim you think they meant to sell that bundle for that price, you're full of shit.

I don't recall them saying they'd honor it. I recall them saying they'd have more keys for the bundle in January. Perhaps I am mistaken in that regard.

ShaneB

There's lots of gifting stuff, but please feel free to do your own thing.

and give me one

Thinking I might go the Steamgift route, just so more people can enter instead of doing a first to quote thing, but I don't like the idea of people waiting around for it, since they should be playing the game asap! :p

Row

Banned
No, GG posted an obvious price error. They aren't even obligated to honor such an obvious pricing error.

reading all the posts whining because they may no longer be able to turn a big profit from exploiting an obvious mistake has been both sad and hilarious

Zimbardo

those lackluster steam sales. its gotta be because the publishers want to try and leech as much as they can from steam customers. they know steam has the highest user base, so they wanna keep the prices higher to make more profit.

and gamersgate taking back the bethesda collection, etc? that's some bullshit right there ...if an order went through, that should be the end of it. you win.

Decado

how do season passes work? If I buy a season's pass when there is already DLC out, do I get the current DLC?

Also, Green Man Gaming is tearing it up this season. Boarderlands 2 for 21. Would bite, but I want to play it co-op and the constant pumping of DLC is annoying. Will wait for a GOTY edition next year.

how do season passes work? If I buy a season's pass when there is already DLC out, do I get the current DLC?

Also, Green Man Gaming is tearing it up this season. Boarderlands 2 for 21. Would bite, but I want to play it co-op and the constant pumping of DLC is annoying. Will wait for a GOTY edition next year.
Depends on the game really.

Petrie

Banned
reading all the posts whining because they may no longer be able to turn a big profit from exploiting an obvious mistake has been both sad and hilarious

Yup. Frankly I hope those who were trying to flip keys they didn't even have for a profit do end up losing money.

Fuck em.

buhdeh

c'mon guys let's not forget all that valve/steam has done for us. i have enough games to play for the next 2 years thanks to steam sales.

Nabs

those lackluster steam sales. its gotta be because the publishers want to try and leech as much as they can from steam customers. they know steam has the highest user base, so they wanna keep the prices higher to make more profit.

and gamersgate taking back the bethesda collection, etc? that's some bullshit right there ...if an order went through, that should be the end of it. you win.

Of course.

If you claim you think they meant to sell that bundle for that price, you're full of shit.

I don't recall them saying they'd honor it. I recall them saying they'd have more keys for the bundle in January. Perhaps I am mistaken in that regard.

They didn't say that they'll honor it, they just heavily implied it.
vW28D.png

I knew it was a mistake, but maybe others didn't? There have been some really great sales on PC games lately in case you haven't noticed.

You are mincing words here. Saying they will have more keys for people who purchased the bundle is saying they are honoring it effectively. It means the same thing.

Nymerio

lol at the Lego LOTR price. I think I got this from Amazon for 7.50. FTL price is ok though, such an amazing game, you'll definitely get your money's worth from that one.

I wouldn't even mind the bad prices, if we had the meta game going. I was so looking forward to that.

vidcons

Banned
I get the feeling like the Game of Thrones games are actually these secretly good games that everyone hated for odd reasons.

Maybe it's the God Hand of RPG/RTS games.

then again, it's game of thrones so wouldn't people exalt it just because cheeto dust

Petrie

Banned
They didn't say that they'll honor it, they just heavily implied it.
vW28D.png

I don't see anything telling me they had decided one way or another. I see them telling you you can get a refund if you don't want to wait and see what they'll do.

This is how crazy deals work.

I knew it was a mistake, but maybe others didn't? There have been some really great sales on PC games lately in case you haven't noticed.

You are mincing words here. Saying they will have more keys for people who purchased the bundle is saying they are honoring it effectively. It means the same thing.

This wasn't a great deal, it was a very obvious error, beyond any of the typical "great deals".

It doesn't say they will get more keys for those who purchased the bundle though.

Just sounds like they want people to know they aren't selling the bundle anymore because of a lack of serials. No promise of anything.

Deadstar

Any thoughts on worms? And is the season pass worth it

I have the base game and it is pretty fun. I have only played a few matches. I wouldn't say it's better than Armageddon (there's less tile sets, voice banks) but the weapon list is pretty good and the 2.5 d backgrounds are really cool. I would say this is the second best worms game, behind worms armageddon. I've had fun with it so far. They introduced worm classes that mix up the gameplay a bit if you choose to use them. One worm can jump farther than the rest, another is bigger and gets knocked around less.

Kinyou

I wonder why telltale games are still so expensive. I mean I love the guys but 15€ for Sam & Max season one seems ridiculous. And for something like 5€ I'd even take a look at Jurassic Park, but 14€? no way

M.D

Anyone here who bought the Bethesda bundle, have not taken any of the keys, and still haven't got their money back?

Asking again since no one answered

Also, does the XCOM demo do a good job showing off the game? I'm hearing so much good stuff about it, but I'm not sure if I'll like it.

The demo is 5.8GB, I'll guess I guess I'll just have to download it :/
I could actually buy the PS3 version for $25, but I just know I won't like playing this sort of game on console

cicero

Just got my money back from the Bethesda thing. Didn't ask to cancel or anything. Oh well, I really only wanted Dishonored, and the rest was just gonna be a bonus.

Sucks that they said they'd have more keys in a few weeks, and then just up and cancel. But I'd rather them do that than have to go out of business over it.

I would rather that they had a competent digital distribution service that didn't make mistakes and then punish people for them. I would have bought at least one of those games elsewhere, I verbally gave five of those games as Christmas presents that would be belated. I already gifted two of the copies I had of Borderlands 2 as christmas presents after getting the recipients to create accounts so they could redeem them. All this was their fault because they never fixed their system to deal with issues like these. They have been having those pricing errors at MANY various times throughout the years and still they continue on. Either be competent with their service, or suck it up and take the damages due to their own mistakes/neglect, or pull the purchases creating the greatest incentive for me never to purchase from them in the future. Why put myself through the hassle of potentially having my purchases deleted?

I keep wondering, wth didn't they just yank the product pages to begin with? Is there literally no one watching the store for hours at a time, and specifically right after new deals are put up? It is ridiculous.

vidcons

Banned

Also, does the XCOM demo do a good job showing off the game? I'm hearing so much good stuff about it, but I don't sure if I'll like it.

The demo is 5.8GB, I'll guess I'll just have to download it :/
I could actually buy the PS3 version for $25, but I just know I won't like playing this sort of game on console

No, the demo is very scripted in fucking you over. The main game is a more open, which does get a little stale once you figure out how to handle all of the maps.

Wthermans

Banned
ROFL what? FTL is one of the best value sales so far, it's all the others that have been rubbish.

Value has little to do with my purchasing habits. I put over 1000 hours into a F2P game and spent less than $5 on microtransactions. Given the size of my backlog (both Steam, non-Steam and 360/PS3/Wii---not to mention the classic consoles), there is no reason to spend more than $5-10 on a game.

Looking at FTL specifically, it's a game that I've heard excellent things about but ultimately would play for maybe 10-15 hours. At the 9.99 MSRP, I can't see myself spending more than $3.50 on it. In years past, a game of this nature would easily hit the 66% off goal. Instead we're seeing the current lackluster sales (compared to competitors and past Steam sales) and it's likely I'll skip on it. Yeah it's only $1.50 difference, but I can easily wait until for the Steam sales in 2013 and the pricedrops FTL will receive in 2013. And honestly, I'm not really missing out on much in those 6 months that I'm waiting.

masterkajo

Also, does the XCOM demo do a good job showing off the game? I'm hearing so much good stuff about it, but I don't sure if I'll like it.

I wouldn't say so. The demo is totalyl hand holding you and only two short missions. It is the first and second mission in the tutorial AFAIK. The game is much much more open and far far less handholding (hardly any cutscenes etc).

jediyoshi

It's a pretty bad demo. Bit too much hand holding, plays more like just an extended tutorial

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've said something similar before, that Amazon, GMG, and Mr. Mistake over at GG need to push for the deeper discounts being relatively new players, but publishers can get away with more modest prices on Steam because of the sheer size of its active userbase. You could argue that Valve should be pushing for deeper discounts, but when its own sales data suggests to publishers that this isn't necessary, they're not exactly inclined to listen.

gabbre

Who already activated the Steam code of Borderlands 2 bought on Gamersgate is fine right? How could one know that the 75% discount was a mistake.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Who already activated the Steam code of Borderlands 2 bought on Gamersgate is fine right? How could one know that the 75% discount was a mistake.

Yes. Presently, there's nothing to suggest GG will go after retrieved keys.

MNC

I'll ask again. Has Dark Souls been a past GMG deal during this winter? If yes (and it won't come by anymore) Can anybody help me with the Amazon deal? I do not have a creditcard. I can pay through paypal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom