• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

I'm not sure why they have refunded me the money for the Bethesda Pack but not Borderlands 2. Anyone else seeing this as well?

Just got the chance to get home and say thanks!!

VBO4C.png

You rock! <3

I've said something similar before, that Amazon, GMG, and Mr. Mistake over at GG need to push for the deeper discounts being relatively new players, but publishers can get away with more modest prices on Steam because of the sheer size of its active userbase. You could argue that Valve should be pushing for deeper discounts, but when its own sales data suggests to publishers that this isn't necessary, they're not exactly inclined to listen.

I wonder how much longer that will last though if the current trend continues. I mean some of the discounts are massive in difference. Lego LOTR is $20.xx on steam right now and was $7.50 on amazon. The only thing I've bought from steam recently is stuff that is still only on steam. If it was a buck or two I don't think it would matter but some are becoming pretty large differences in price that are no longer negligible.

REV 09

Yes. Presently, there's nothing to suggest GG will go after retrieved keys.

i'm not even sure how they could..?

i was able to get about half the games redeemed from the Bethesda pack. Still a great deal since i got what i wanted from it.

Dammit there's two games I really want from this sale, alpha protocol and AC3. I haven't seen a single sale anywhere for AC3! I'm starting to think we won't see any sales for it.

That being said. Got awesome deals on XCOM and Dishonored so I guess that's good for now.

M.D

Sent one asking why the collection was appearing on my shelf without any games in it 4 days ago, no response. Though I guess it's good if i didn't get an automatic refund like some people.

I sent one 4 days ago about the same issue as well, got a quick response offering me a refund, explained the situation better thinking they may have misunderstood me, but n response since. Still no refund.

Thanks for the XCOM answer guys. I guess I'll just buy the game when it's $20-25, if it's getting so much praise, it's gotta be good.
Does it play anything like Company of Heroes? I got that from the Humble Bundle, but couldn't play for more than 5 minutes. too much things for me to handle.

i was able to get about half the games redeemed from the Bethesda pack. Still a great deal since i got what i wanted from it.

Well, if they're steam keys I guess they could get steam to deactivate them but I would be absolutely floored if that happened. That would be so much more damaging than the small amount that were actually given keys.

PaulLFC

The majority of my purchases so far have been from GMG and Amazon. I imagine GMG must be making some serious money with that voucher turning many of their discounts into great deals.

Picked up Worms Revolution + DLC, RE5, DMC4, Dungeons Collection and Borderlands 2 season pass from them, and I don't think I spent much over £20 for the lot.

Enco

They should have 3 or 4 games on spotlight and just put the 'secret' sales there. Rotate it out every few hours or so.

Would get more sales and make the sale seem more alive. Makes NO sense not to do that.

Gamersgate refunded the 2 bethesda bundles I got but I've already given away 2 skyrims and 2 dishonored and activated hunted, rogue warrior and doom: bfg edition for myself.

Oh well, free games.

dangeROSS

I just got an E-mail and a refund for my Bethesda pack on Gamersgate as well. It's too bad, but I don't think you can blame them for having to fix the mistake. Ah well.

The majority of my purchases so far have been from GMG and Amazon. I imagine GMG must be making some serious money with that voucher turning many of their discounts into great deals. .

I doubt it since that voucher is probably their entire profit margin on the games gone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Contact Valve and say they were provided in error, essentially. IGN did this with GameStop and EA/Origin when a Prime deal was buggered and went viral, allowing even non-Prime members to snag a free copy of Battlefield 3. Of course, the waters are muddied when you consider that the GG keys have been bought and paid for.

mr_toa

From a technical perspective there shouldn't be much to hinder a key revoke request from a trusted 3. party to be executed more or less automatically on Steam. I'd be inclined to think such a setup should be in place to mass blacklist and revoke keys which has been stolen or such.

I'm starting to slide into the "This Steam Sale sucks" crowd. Was expecting more sales for 75%+ off like previous years instead of the predominate 50% we're receiving. FTL should be 66% at the least IMO.

GTFO. It's three months old.

Seriously, there's a definite stench of entitlement hanging over this thread. "Oh, I want this popular indie game that was released three months ago for three bucks!", "Oh, I will QQ if I get an automatic refund on a blatant pricing error!", "Oh publishers are ripping us off by not charging the same price on any website!". Please, just get out. (Especially the last complaint. There's literally no reason other than sheer laziness and your bank being dicks to not just buy on the cheapest site especially if the game comes in the form of a Steam key)

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
One problem I definitely have during Steam sales is that I have a hard time not buying junk DLC I probably won't use just to feel like I've got a complete experience. Damn OCD.

GTFO. It's barely three months old.

Seriously, there's a definite stench of entitlement hanging over this thread. "Oh, I want this popular indie game that was released three months ago for three bucks!", "Oh, I will QQ if I get an automatic refund on a blatant pricing error!", "Oh publishers are ripping us off by not charging the same price on any website!". Please, just get out. (Especially the last complaint. There's literally no reason other than sheer laziness and your bank being dicks to not just buy on the cheapest site especially if the game comes in the form of a Steam key)

Calm down buddy. Some people like to use paypal which amazon doesn't support, or bought steam wallet gift cards before the sale.

Unicorn

Should I get FTL and Worms Revolution?

I bought Inversion 2 and Hotline Miami last night. Only played them about 30 mins apiece.

I have sooooo many games in my backlog and I'm about to start school again, full time... while working full time as well, so my free time is about to dissolve.

I may have answered my own question, but I seem to be a bite-sized player theses days. Playing a bit of everything, so I guess I wouldn't mind adding to that mix.
KuGsj.gif

tl;dr

Sell me on FTL

tjohn86

GTFO. It's three months old.

Couldn't agree more.

JaseC

I wonder how much longer that will last though if the current trend continues. I mean some of the discounts are massive in difference. Lego LOTR is $20.xx on steam right now and was $7.50 on amazon. The only thing I've bought from steam recently is stuff that is still only on steam. If it was a buck or two I don't think it would matter but some are becoming pretty large differences in price that are no longer negligible.

I suspect we'll see stiffer competition next year.

Prelithe

Gamersgate refunded the 2 bethesda bundles I got but I've already given away 2 skyrims and 2 dishonored and activated hunted, rogue warrior and doom: bfg edition for myself.

Oh well, free games.

Wow. I thought they were only going to refund packs that didn't access any codes... Now this, they're actually going to lose even more.

ZenaxPure

Bah, I was alright missing Alan wake on GMG because the stupid gambling thing since it was so cheap on the steam deal but xcom bums me out, I bet it will be much lower tomorrow than it is on steam right now, either way unless Amazon goes crazy again I assume this is the cheapest I will be able to get xcom.

Haunted

Space Marine 4,99€ now?

Already bought it on GMG for 4,20€ earlier! You lose Steam!
Activated on Steam anyway.

Madouu

Just to let people know that I bought both the Bethesda bundle and Football Manager from Gamersgate only to have my account deleted with only an email notice after it had been done. I have contacted their support three days ago and I still haven't received a response with any reasons to why they have locked my account. But I am willing to be patient since this is a holydays period.

I was able to grab my FM key as well as 3 Bethesda keys before they closed my account and they are working fine. I assume I'm at the risk of having them disabled any time though.

Meanwhile, I have also received a refund (which I didn't ask for) for my football manager payment. I have not received any refund for the Bethesda bundle.

The way they handle their business seems amateurish to me, and I must say that I regret now having bought anything from them.

I will keep you posted.

JaseC

From a technical perspective there shouldn't be much to hinder a key revoke request from a trusted 3. party to be executed more or less automatically on Steam. I'd be inclined to think such a setup should be in place to mass blacklist and revoke keys which has been stolen or such.

Indeed there is: Activision had Eastern Euro MW2 keys removed from Steam accounts not based there, although I assume this applied only to those who'd played the game online as my copy is still intact.

I get the feeling like the Game of Thrones games are actually these secretly good games that everyone hated for odd reasons.

Maybe it's the God Hand of RPG/RTS games.

then again, it's game of thrones so wouldn't people exalt it just because cheeto dust

If you want a Game of Thrones game, buy Crusader Kings II and download the Game of Thrones mod.

Can't be that much otherwise they wouldn't do it. They've run vouchers before, plenty of times. If it wasn't good for them as a business then they wouldn't do it.

Profit is not the only thing a business needs, especially when you are just starting. 30% is a typical profit margin for these stores, and I can imagine them completely pass on it to build a large userbase. It seems like it's working so far.

If this FTL price is too much for you then go play the games in your backlog and wait for another sale.

If you have no games left in your backlog, then buy FTL. It's 50% off.

Win/win situation here, folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom