• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

Less percentage and monetary discount than previous years. If you really need definitions, you can certainly research the previous Steam sales and compare them to the current sale.

okay, i was just reaffirming your rather broad definition of 'extremely lackluster'. surprised at how blunt you're admitting to it's hyperbole, but it seems to go around in this thread.

1-D_FTW

Didn't other people in this thread say that amazon sold it for 7.50?!

WB offered it for 7.50 on the 24th - 26th on Amazon. And you also got a 5 dollar credit for Amazon's January sale.

It's entitlement to demand games drop to 75 percent after 1 month. But if a publisher is going to do it on one service, then it's fair game to criticize Steam for this. They should have just told WB to not even bother and refused them a spot for it.

buhdeh

Can you please cite where I said they owe me anything? I believe you'll be hardpressed to find any citation.

I do want FTL, but not enough to only pay 50% of the MSRP during the "best sale of the year" for the platform I prefer.

"FTL should be at least 66% off"

I have a free Cave Story+ code and a Basement Collection code.

For Cave Story + : Guess my favourite Metroidvania game.

For Basement : Guess my favourite Mcmillen game.

Wthermans

Banned
"FTL should be at least 66% off"

I don't feel that Valve owes me 66% off, just that as a consumer who has bought many indie games through their previous sales, the 50% off for FTL does not equate to a good value given the other recently released indie games they have advertised on their sales.

The official website has FTL for 5 $ as well and you get the DRM free version and a steam key: http://www.ftlgame.com/

Shh...that's entitled.

inky

Can you please cite where I said they owe me anything? I believe you'll be hardpressed to find any citation.

I do want FTL, but not enough to only pay 50% of the MSRP during the "best sale of the year" for the platform I prefer.

50% off a $10 game that is relatively new is a perfectly acceptable discount. Come on.

The official website has FTL for 5 $ as well and you get the DRM free version and a steam key: http://www.ftlgame.com/

Oh, I should've bought that for the DRM free version to carry it in my laptop. Oh well.

WB offered it for 7.50 on the 24th - 26th on Amazon. And you also got a 5 dollar credit for Amazon's January sale.

It's entitlement to demand games drop to 75 percent after 1 month. But if a publisher is going to do it on one service, then it's fair game to criticize Steam for this. They should have just told WB to not even bother and refused them a spot for it.

Eh, I don't know if it's completely fair. Different services have special promotions with publishers all the time, not every sale will always been on every service provider. It's never been that way and never will be.

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with consumer tendencies. Tell me why I would spend more than I value on a game? Especially on an indie game that is more likely to increase my backlog than actually provide me enjoyment? The fact of the matter is that this Steam sale DOES suck compared to previous sales. Gone are the standard 75% off sales we had in years past. Instead we're left with standard 50% off sales with the random 66% off while we search GMG, GOG, Amazon and the other DD sources out there. As another poster said, Steam is getting to be the PSN/Xbox Live of PC sales.

It is about entitlement. In your second sentence you present the straw man that you shouldn't be made to spend more on a game than you want to, but that's not what your post is really about. Your post is about how the publishers are charging too much for the game because of how little you value it. You demand that games are sold well under what any reasonable person would say they are worth, because of your fucking backlog? You don't have time to play a game, so it should be sold cheaply enough that you can just buy it anyway and not play it? You just want to have your cake and eat it too.

This sale was still amazing just like every Steam sale. Having slightly less steep discounts than a previous sale does not make it "lackluster", nor does your nonsense logic about why games should be discounted.

cicero

Then don't buy the game. Valve doesn't owe you anything. Why are you even complaining that a game you don't even want isn't cheap enough?
Because it most likely WOULD have been cheaper during a previous sale, and if he didn't want it, Valve would have MADE him want it through a meta-game that required it for an achievement. And quite frankly, because this is the internet, vocalizing criticisms or complaints is what is done here, especially when there are high standards that are seemingly no longer being met or cared about.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Have you seen an EA sale? Last week, it was buy a full price game, get its prequel, which coincided with Steam making a mockery of it by sticking a "everything involving Crysis" bundle for 25% of the asking price of EA's version. EA is worse than Sony when it comes to sales.
I don't know, they gave me Dragon Age 1&2 (and the expansion), Mass Effect 1&2, Mirror's Edge (plus DLC), Darkspore, Burnout Paradise, NFS Undercover & Hot Pursuit and Battlefield 1942 & Bad Company 2 for free. So they aren't that bad, actually :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Glancing through the comments there seems to be no mention of activated keys being revoked.

This was also pointed out:

Prices GamersGate reserves the right to change the price and availability of any products at any time without notice; provided, however, such price change will not affect your purchase price for orders that GamersGate has already received from you and processed.

Everybody that got keys got their orders processed. People that just paid after the fact (and only had the bundle on their list, and not the games), I'd argue that's not a processed purchase, even if you paid.

People that got keys? That's a processed order if I've ever saw one.

M.D

The Bethesda collection is now gone from my library, but still not email (got no email when I purchased it as well) or refund on PayPal

Should I be worried?

At this point I wouldn't trust them much. Technically they can but I think this might be a problem with that famous EU law.

Yup I don't trust in Gamersgate anymore, but I hope they does not revoke any of those activated keys, I think that they should honor the price, because that was their mistake, it's just like EA, they did honor it's "mistake"!

Where does it say anything about revoking keys?

Also, this guy has the right idea

No, I just want to post it because it seems that GG will be cancelling the Borderlands 2 - 4 pack purchases

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This was also pointed out:

Everybody that got keys got their orders processed. People that just paid after the fact (and only had the bundle on their list, and not the games), I'd argue that's not a processed purchase, even if you paid.

People that got keys? That's a processed order if I've ever saw one.

Agreed.

didamangi

No surround audio support for The Walking Dead, that's disappointing.

But then again Telltale games audio quality have always been mediocre, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised :(

Wthermans

Banned
It is about entitlement. In your second sentence you present the straw man that you shouldn't be made to spend more on a game than you want to, but that's not what your post is really about. Your post is about how the publishers are charging too much for the game because of how little you value it. You demand that games are sold well under what any reasonable person would say they are worth, because of your fucking backlog? You don't have time to play a game, so it should be sold cheaply enough that you can just buy it anyway and not play it? You just want to have your cake and eat it too.

This sale was still amazing just like every Steam sale. Having slightly less steep discounts than a previous sale does not make it "lackluster", nor does your nonsense logic about why games should be discounted.
I don't demand anything. I just won't purchase the game if it's outside of the value I perceive. I have that right as a consumer. Just like I have the right to say this sale is lackluster compared to previous years.

That said, YES, having a lower percentage of discounts compared to previous years DOES make the current sale lackluster compared to the previous sales. It has little to do with consumer tendencies and moreso the raw data you compare from previous sales to the current ones.

Is this sale impressive compared to normal prices and Midweek/Weekend Steam sales? Sure! Is this sale impressive compared to the Summer/Autumn and previous Holiday sales? Not in the least. You don't have to like that ideal, but if you look at the numbers, it fully supports my viewpoint.

Well the bundle I purchased as a gift is gone and refunded, but my main one with some activated games is still there. Has Gamergate refunded any purchases after handing out keys?

PaulLFC

Found this on Reddit re: Amazon sales, not sure if it was already known but I know some were asking about the Secret World so:

"Kingdoms of Amalur bundle will be 14.99 soon
The Secret World will be $17.99 in the Editors Choice sale."

So that should make The Secret World $12.99 with the voucher.

That doesn't make sense, what would be the point of them pushing Steamworks as a DRM solution then? So you think the Publishers, after having been sold on digital copies of their product being pushed with Steamworks, are going to suddenly revert back to physical only copies with activation codes, or propping up Steam alone and turning them into a monopoly overnight? A monopoly that would then control and pressure the publishers?

No, those other stores can sell DD versions of their own. They just wont activate through Steam. If you want a copy that activates on Steam then you buy it through Steam. This already happens for some games, just not any Steamworks games. Valve need to leverage their advantage as DD leader. You think Amazon doesnt do things to leverage other parts of their business with publishers (guarantee to buy a certain number of disc console games in exchange for a certain price on D keys, product placement, advertising placement, etc). Why shouldnt Valve use their own leverage? As I stated, these other companies can easily undersell Steam since they dont have to worry about bandwidth costs on Steamworks titles.

cicero

Profiteering assholes got what they deserved. Oh well.

hmm. Does this "Profiteering asshole" bit go for anyone selling or trading any of the keys they got in those GamersGate bundles? Or is it merely reduced down to Bethesda Pack key flippers who are different, for some unmentioned reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom