• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I THINK HIB doesn't take a cut larger than the very basic service costs so they can support the bandwith and whatnot. I think I heard Jonathan Blow say something like that last year when he came to Argentina, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's definitely a flat 15%. Play around with your donation amount and calculate the percentage. ;)

Edit: This post seems weird now that you've replied to mine. :p

I think that may have been their intention in the beginning, but you have to wonder if seeing all of these other sites take advantage of the 0%/100% profit of Steamworks keys to undersell Steam might have Valve reconsidering.

Almost every new game (except UBI and EA) is playable through Steam ONLY. They've become the de facto PC gaming platform. Why would they want to go back on that. They're losing a little bit of profit for a huge amount of mindshare.

We, as in the people actively searching for these really good deals, are a relatively small group compared to the entire PC gaming community.

1-D_FTW

Valve/Steam owe nothing to the consumer in terms of setting sales. There are different ways to express your disappointment at the sales. If you are screaming to the heavens about how expensive the games are compared to other vendors; why are you complaining? Buy it elsewhere and be grateful that you have the opportunity to buy it for that price at all. It's not an issue unless it doesn't have Steamworks, and arguably not even then. Claiming that this sale is 'unacceptable' as you have 'high expectations' doesn't justify your behaviour. Yes, you might have had 'high expectations', and rightfully so; but when the sales do not reach those expectations, that doesn't mean that you are owed a lower price. The fact that they hold these sales multiple times a year is crazy. The sense of entitlement displayed by some here is absurd, and I think some perspective is needed.

What behavior? Is anyone rioting in the streets? It's harmless ranting in the backstreets of the internet. It's all meaningless.

That people feel the need to rigorously defend Steam no matter what they do is fanboyism. I thought PC gamers hated fanboys?

And with that, I'm out for the day. Back tomorrow for regularly scheduled broadcasts. For today, Steam did nothing to earn my money and therefore are entitled to zero cents.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's definitely a flat 15%. Play around with your donation amount and calculate the percentage. ;)

Edit: This post seems weird now that you've replied to mine. :p
I think that's even worse.

I mean, if HIB got 15% off the base price, I think it's still pretty steep but well I can understand it, but having them "tax" the donations is actually a terrible, terrible thing.

Next time I'll just send them a check or something lol.

Well Valve takes about that anyway for indies... weird.

It makes sense. Andy Schatz is going all out on Humble Payments before the Steam release. He seems to think it's better for him.
Yeah I was always a believer of the idea that the HIB payment was all about giving the indies an easy and cheap platform, not some weird actual for-profit indie store.

I THINK HIB doesn't take a cut larger than the very basic service costs so they can support the bandwith and whatnot. I think I heard Jonathan Blow say something like that last year when he came to Argentina, but I'm not 100% sure.

Humble takes whatever cut you give them, no?

PaulLFC

So I thought I'd finally play some of the games I've got in this and past sales, launched Stranger's Wrath and it just crashes after displaying the first screen with the developer logos. Could be Windows 8 related I guess :/

I think these shitty sales at the end of 2012 are Valve's way of breaking everyone from the habit of only/habitually purchasing during the sale periods.

They've just been that atrocious.

mavs

I think that's even worse.

I mean, if HIB got 15% off the base price, I think it's still pretty steep but well I can understand it, but having them "tax" the donations is actually a terrible, terrible thing.

Next time I'll just send them a check or something lol.

Yeah I was always a believer of the idea that the HIB payment was all about giving the indies an easy and cheap platform, not some weird actual for-profit indie store.

Technically you're the one giving HIB 15%, they aren't taking it.

I did all I can people:
zq0C5.png

But Steam Support gave me the cold shoulder. It seams that future sales will suck as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Aren't they going to end up with less money this way? Seems crazy but can't really complain about a free game.

Yeah, but I suppose, at the end of the day, it's easier than dealing with what would've likely been a boatload of "entitled" support requests for a refund of the unused keys.

I wonder how they'll recall the keys from UK consumers. I'm probably reading/understanding the law wrong here, but once you buy something in the UK it is yours. If the retailer sold it at the wrong price, it doesn't matter, they have to honour the price point shown/advertised.

So I can't imagine they'll be allowed to revoke the keys so easily.

vidcons

Banned
i need to own games
but i can't buy them based on these low digit discounts
if i buy any higher i'll have to take out another mortgage on my home

but how will i live without all of these games

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Also about the Bethesda game pack. I redeemed a few games but didn't get my Elder Scrolls keys. I still have my games on the shelf, no email about refunds and no actual refunds...

ShaneB

images

So I've created a Private Steamgift giveaway for 2 copies of FTL. The url is hidden in this post. It ends in 90 minutes at 4pm est. I'll periodically repost this.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
well fuck me

I don't even remember buying the season pass for DS2...then I go and buy it again on GMG.

Mother....

Fucker...

edit: @Dynamic3 yes you can. Just select buy as gift option

Just glad that other DD sites are giving same/better deals as Steam. Competition is good for us. Even if the steam sale is lacking most games on my list

...Most of the indie titles on my wishlist are 50-75% off. But if you explicitly expect all indie titles to drop to 75%, you're embodying a downward shift in consumer expectation that simply wasn't sustainable in the long run anyway.

This always seemed like it was on the bubble. Have developers finally reached the point where history sufficiently dictates that "they will buy it on Steam, anyway" and this is the way going forward with slightly less, though still so delicious discounts via Steam? I have no problem with any of it, personally, though I am a predominantly wait it out for $4.99 or 75% off customer who enjoys the thrill of the hunt as much as a chunk of the games in my bloated library.

cicero

No, those other stores can sell DD versions of their own. They just wont activate through Steam. If you want a copy that activates on Steam then you buy it through Steam. This already happens for some games, just not any Steamworks games. Valve need to leverage their advantage as DD leader. You think Amazon doesnt do things to leverage other parts of their business with publishers (guarantee to buy a certain number of disc console games in exchange for a certain price on D keys, product placement, advertising placement, etc). Why shouldnt Valve use their own leverage? As I stated, these other companies can easily undersell Steam since they dont have to worry about bandwidth costs on Steamworks titles.

Again, why would Valve restrict Steamworks versions to only physical copies or copies sold through Steam? The whole idea was to create it as an industry standard and solution, now you want to restrict it in some kind of effort to "leverage their advantage as DD leader". What benefit is there to Valve to destroy or cripple their own apparent designs with Steamworks, and how does that benefit Publishers to a degree that they would agree with such a restrictive and monopolistic move that will eventually impact them?

Necrovex

FTL looks awesome, I'll pick it up even though I am not usually a major fan of rouge-like. Also, could anyone link me that image of FTL that relates it to Battlestar and terms of experience (i.e., the five, 10, 15 minute image)? That may convince some of my friends to give FTL a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom