• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

FTL.. yes please.

Was about to buy the game from the official website. Good to see it on steam on sale.

wait...Its the same price on the main site as on Steam right now.

Why not buy it from the site and give the developers a bigger cut?

You get a Steam key either way...

everyone and their mother better get FTL

Buy it here: http://www.ftlgame.com/

You get the choice of a Steam key or a DRM-free version as well.

No, those other stores can sell DD versions of their own. They just wont activate through Steam. If you want a copy that activates on Steam then you buy it through Steam. This already happens for some games, just not any Steamworks games. Valve need to leverage their advantage as DD leader. You think Amazon doesnt do things to leverage other parts of their business with publishers (guarantee to buy a certain number of disc console games in exchange for a certain price on D keys, product placement, advertising placement, etc). Why shouldnt Valve use their own leverage? As I stated, these other companies can easily undersell Steam since they dont have to worry about bandwidth costs on Steamworks titles.

But Steam WANTS for people to activate their games through Steam, so people use the client and buy stuff they see on the store. That's the whole point of Steamworks.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
hmm. Does this "Profiteering asshole" bit go for anyone selling or trading any of the keys they got in those GamersGate bundles? Or is it merely reduced down to Bethesda Pack key flippers who are different, for some unmentioned reason?

Petrie is mad at everybody that got any keys and it's selling it for more than their actual cost.

In this instance, he's mad at anybody selling Bethesda Bundle individual keys for more than 2.50 (11 games divided by 27 dollars).

1-D_FTW

Then don't buy the game. Valve doesn't owe you anything. Why are you even complaining that a game you don't even want isn't cheap enough?

It's a message board. This is what we do. And it's the fun of these events. We like to bitch about everything.

But don't go with that entitlement bullshit. Cause that works both ways. Stores aren't entitled to our purchases. Just because they got our sales in previous years, doesn't mean they're entitled to them now. And if we wanna bitch about them being barely better than PSN (after destroying them like a Death Star for a couple years), we're entitled to do that too.

Torraz

Found this on Reddit re: Amazon sales, not sure if it was already known but I know some were asking about the Secret World so:

"Kingdoms of Amalur bundle will be 14.99 soon
The Secret World will be $17.99 in the Editors Choice sale."

So that should make The Secret World $12.99 with the voucher.

Could anyone assist me with that Secret World sale, please? Don't have a credit card, can prepay via paypal.

:edit: Ah, the editors choice sale is only in January? I think TSW was offering additional free content if purchased before the new year.

More money to the devs, Steam redeemable, you get it DRM-free too. win-win-win.

Considering you get a Steam key I'm sure Steam gets a cut, albeit smaller.
Wish I knew about this earlier. Humble takes a cut probably. I prefer to buy direct though.
Some Cave Story+ in this post for someone that somehow still doesn't have it. Just please let people know if you take it

Grabbed this one, thanks.

Wthermans

Banned

More money to the devs, Steam redeemable, you get it DRM-free too. win-win-win.

Considering you get a Steam key I'm sure Steam gets a cut, albeit smaller.

So you agree that the devs get a larger cut by purchasing through them directly instead of purchasing through Steam's lackluster discounts?

Because it most likely WOULD have been cheaper during a previous sale, and if he didn't want it, Valve would have MADE him want it through a meta-game that required it for an achievement. And quite frankly, because this is the internet, vocalizing criticisms or complaints is what is done here, especially when there are high standards that are seemingly no longer being met or cared about.

I dont remember any major games that were only 2 months old ever being 75% off in any previous sales.

Grabbed Binary Domain from GMG for $4.37 (steam redeemable). Hopefully it is better than the demo indicates.

Most people have said it's much better than the demo and most impressions of the game when amazon had it on sale for $10 months ago seemed suggest it's worth it for the price. I got mine earlier today too and hoping it's worth it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This needs to be posted more. If you want FTL, get it from the devs. Steam isn't discounting enough to afford them a cut of the developer profits.

smart tip for euro folk. it's 4.99Ebux on steam, at the dev link it's 4.99Americadollars.

Cost me 3.90Euro

jediyoshi

hmm. Does this "Profiteering asshole" bit go for anyone selling or trading any of the keys they got in those GamersGate bundles? Or is it merely reduced down to Bethesda Pack key flippers who are different, for some unmentioned reason?

The Bethesda had a higher discount, so there's probably a distinction made in the amount it's flipped for relative to whatever the person bought it for

Petrie

Banned

It goes for anyone who chooses to profiteer from those mistake bundles instead of spread the love around GAF, especially at the holidays.

But clearly they aren't AS great as they were, and then add in the removal of their achievements/meta-game and you have the recipe for an inferior sale that isn't nearly as fun or exciting as previous sales.

I agree it's less exciting and less of an event, but some people in here sound suicidal over the fact that deals are 10-20% less than they used to be.

Getting 50-75% off a game is a great thing, and if you can get better elsewhere then awesome, definitely buy that instead, but every sale it seems more and more people are all doom and gloom about what is, ultimately, fucking cheap games all round.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This needs to be posted more. If you want FTL, get it from the devs. Steam isn't discounting enough to afford them a cut of the developer profits.

Depends on your region. In Brazil, buying it on Steam is 1.50 USD cheaper than buying on their website.

Yeah, it's a low amount. Still...

How about no?

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with consumer tendencies. Tell me why I would spend more than I value on a game? Especially on an indie game that is more likely to increase my backlog than actually provide me enjoyment?
If you're disinclined to purchase more games due to the size of your backlog, why are you bothering to complain about their high prices anyway? "Why won't Steam price games that I won't even play low enough that I'll buy them anyway?" is a pretty strange complaint, and one which speaks more to your lack of impulse control than a failure of publisher's pricing strategies. You're basically explicitly saying you want to make lots of meaningless impulse buys but Steam is making it hard to do so. Er....OK?

The fact of the matter is that this Steam sale DOES suck compared to previous sales. Gone are the standard 75% off sales we had in years past. Instead we're left with standard 50% off sales with the random 66% off while we search GMG, GOG, Amazon and the other DD sources out there. As another poster said, Steam is getting to be the PSN/Xbox Live of PC sales.
Right. And the point is, saying that not getting regular discounts of 75% off (especially on popular titles) is lackluster, especially when discounts that high have been readily available on other sites with Steam codes, is definitely a step up on the entitlement scale.

I certainly plan to wait. Just like I have done for every game release since the original Steam Holiday Sale started. FTL is not a major release and that was the only title I cited. I don't expect Xcom/Dishonored or Hitman to be more than 50% off, but I do expect an indie title to drop to 75% off since there have been many others that have in previous sales. Combined with the fact that FTL is not a game that I would normally play and you can certainly see my apathy towards the current sale.
Most of the indie titles on my wishlist are 50-75% off. But if you explicitly expect all indie titles to drop to 75%, you're embodying a downward shift in consumer expectation that simply wasn't sustainable in the long run anyway.

The difference between the two is that the key flippers are arseholes who made a profit, hence "profiteering arseholes". Especially if it was the Bethesda bundle or the Borderlands 2 pack, where it was a blatant price error.

M.D

Does PayPal actually help in cases like this? Bethesda collection is no longer in my library, but still got no refund or an email

Valve/Steam owe nothing to the consumer in terms of setting sales. There are different ways to express your disappointment at the sales. If you are screaming to the heavens about how expensive the games are compared to other vendors; why are you complaining? Buy it elsewhere and be grateful that you have the opportunity to buy it for that price at all. It's not an issue unless it doesn't have Steamworks, and arguably not even then. Claiming that this sale is 'unacceptable' as you have 'high expectations' doesn't justify your behaviour. Yes, you might have had 'high expectations', and rightfully so; but when the sales do not reach those expectations, that doesn't mean that you are owed a lower price. The fact that they hold these sales multiple times a year is crazy. The sense of entitlement displayed by some here is absurd, and I think some perspective is needed.

But Steam WANTS for people to activate their games through Steam, so people use the client and buy stuff they see on the store. That's the whole point of Steamworks.

I think that may have been their intention in the beginning, but you have to wonder if seeing all of these other sites take advantage of the 0%/100% profit of Steamworks keys to undersell Steam might have Valve reconsidering.

Does PayPal actually help in cases like this? Bethesda collection is no longer in my library, but still got no refund or an email

Ask GG support and wait for them to respond. It may tale a while because of the holiday and the mistakes. You shouldn't really do anything else at this point.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wish I knew about this earlier. Humble takes a cut probably. I prefer to buy direct though.
I THINK HIB doesn't take a cut larger than the very basic service costs so they can support the bandwith and whatnot. I think I heard Jonathan Blow say something like that last year when he came to Argentina, but I'm not 100% sure.

So you agree that the devs get a larger cut by purchasing through them directly instead of purchasing through Steam's lackluster discounts?
Well yeah?

I don't understand you.

Humble takes 15%.
Well Valve takes about that anyway for indies... weird.
I THINK HIB doesn't take a cut larger than the very basic service costs so they can support the bandwith and whatnot. I think I heard Jonathan Blow say something like that last year when he came to Argentina, but I'm not 100% sure.

It makes sense. Andy Schatz is going all out on Humble Payments before the Steam release. He seems to think it's better for him.

Danielsan

Just bought FTL for myself from the website. Wish I had know about this before. I just traded FTL for a copy of Alice and I bought that copy of FTL for €4,99 on steam rather than €3,90 from the site. Ooh well.

M.D

I'm assuming you're asking here because support isn't getting back to you?

They're support center is not working half the time :/

[User Error]: Unable to connect to Database. Please verify the username, password, grant permissions and the database status. (library/class.SWIFT.php:641)

Madouu

I'm giving away two Gamersgate Bethesda deal keys for the following: (please only take if you haven't played the games)

-Oblivion GOTY.
-Skyrim GOTY.

Quote with what you want.

Petrie

Banned
I'm giving away two Gamersgate Bethesda deal keys for the following: (please only take if you haven't played the games)

-Oblivion GOTY.
-Skyrim GOTY.

Quote with what you want.

Skyrim

Hmm, did I get it? lol

At least I'm finally the first to quote something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom