• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also about the Bethesda game pack. I redeemed a few games but didn't get my Elder Scrolls keys. I still have my games on the shelf, no email about refunds and no actual refunds...

It seems like they're not refunding the packs which at least got some of the keys. I only saw one or two cases so far where that happened.

Gintoki

Gamersgate is just killing my Borderland 2 order :D. Got a refund...

I received their email, they've removed three copies of the four. I gifted myself one of those and its showing for me next to the copy I bought that wasn't part of the 4 pack. Weird.

Petrie

Banned
Again, why would Valve restrict Steamworks versions to only physical copies or copies sold through Steam? The whole idea was to create it as an industry standard and solution, now you want to restrict it in some kind of effort to "leverage their advantage as DD leader". What benefit is there to Valve to destroy or cripple their own apparent designs with Steamworks, and how does that benefit Publishers to a degree that they would agree with such a restrictive and monopolistic move that will eventually impact them?

You thought the point was to create a standard and not to exploit it to make more monies?

LMFAO

desu

I received their email, they've removed three copies of the four. I gifted myself one of those and its showing for me next to the copy I bought that wasn't part of the 4 pack. Weird.

Just like mine, my gifted copies remain in my account so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably going to take the plunge on Alice.

How is CS:GO?

That's a loaded question. I happen to consider the game, at its core, a good amalgamation of CS 1.6 and Source. Sure, it needs work and was undoubtedly released early (where's my silencers, Valve!?), but where others believe it a failed mistake, I see it as a perfectly serviceable alternative that'll surely get better with iteration. Even in its current form, while GO falls short of 1.6, it's better than Source.

Haunted

FTL looks awesome, I'll pick it up even though I am not usually a major fan of rouge-like. Also, could anyone link me that image of FTL that relates it to Battlestar and terms of experience (i.e., the five, 10, 15 minute image)? That may convince some of my friends to give FTL a try.
Always happy to pimp Toma's and my picture. :p

ylW2S.jpg

I just wante to thanks all the fellow gaffers that spare keys, I can't wait to receive my paycheck and spread some love here :)

thanks Madouu, Baconsaurus and SenshiManny, thanks so much for being so kind!

zkylon

zkylewd
Good dig and fuck this sale...

I bought RAGE from Gamersgate and Spec Ops off Amazon, and bought only a couple gifts from Steam because I didn't want to give away keys...

edit: speaking of keys... anyone wants my spare Bioshock 1? first quick mspaint doodle of a big daddy gets it. If no one then I'll just give it to the first who asks.

edit2: gone to a good home!

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Found this on Reddit re: Amazon sales, not sure if it was already known but I know some were asking about the Secret World so:

"Kingdoms of Amalur bundle will be 14.99 soon
The Secret World will be $17.99 in the Editors Choice sale."

So that should make The Secret World $12.99 with the voucher.
Looks like I'll be trying out TSW before GW2.

1-D_FTW

LOL, oh wow.

Please come back and tell me what Steam did.

I really want to hear it.

Fanboyism? Defending Steam 'no matter what they do'?
Please, don't resort to this nonsense.

There's no problem with this. Should there be?

If I'm not replying to multiple quotes, what's the point of deleting parts of a quote?

And if you must know, and I thought it was obvious enough, the comments are directed at all the warriors throwing about the entitlement word. It's stupid and ridiculous. And after a while, it does just look like fanboyism. Entitlement is not applicable because Valve is not giving these games away for free. They're selling them. And as such, it's up to them to earn sales. If people think they suck and aren't wow'd by them, that's capitalism and not entitlement.

And now I really am out for the day. Unless somebody selects 1 sentence to quote and goes on a rant.

Jackl

Whats this about deal quality?

I bought Dark Souls for half off, should I file a ticket because the price was still double digits?(HOW ABSURD! The nerve I tell you!)

cicero

It goes for anyone who chooses to profiteer from those mistake bundles instead of spread the love around GAF, especially at the holidays.
I guess I have to agree with drizzle here.

Petrie is mad at everybody that got any keys and it's selling it for more than their actual cost.

In this instance, he's mad at anybody selling Bethesda Bundle individual keys for more than 2.50 (11 games divided by 27 dollars).
I am somewhat loath to be public about it, but apparently I was a "profiteering asshole" when Petrie came asking about buying two Borderlands 2 keys for $10 each and I agreed. Value was initially found to be quite good for both parties, I didn't realize that he was the childlike innocent, and I the "asshole" though. But I'm sure it would have been ok had he done it, or just profited by it through a reduced purchase himself.

Cheddahz

Banned
images

So I've created a Private Steamgift giveaway for 2 copies of FTL. The url is hidden in this post. It ends in 90 minutes at 4pm est. I'll periodically repost this.

Well I just entered it, hopefully I win a copy of it, heard FTL is suppose to be amazing

Considering the Counter Strike pack since I'll get CS:GO and I can have all the stuff from Source for Garry's Mod. How is Zero Mission? I probably won't play 1.6

Necrovex

FTL bought. Picture been sent to three of my friends, hopefully they will check out this game. Game installed. Time for my 30 minute bike ride (cardio!), defeat a boss in P3P, and then I shall try out FTL (though I should probably play X-com soon).

Wthermans

Banned
If you're disinclined to purchase more games due to the size of your backlog, why are you bothering to complain about their high prices anyway? "Why won't Steam price games that I won't even play low enough that I'll buy them anyway?" is a pretty strange complaint, and one which speaks more to your lack of impulse control than a failure of publisher's pricing strategies. You're basically explicitly saying you want to make lots of meaningless impulse buys but Steam is making it hard to do so. Er....OK?

Right. And the point is, saying that not getting regular discounts of 75% off (especially on popular titles) is lackluster, especially when discounts that high have been readily available on other sites with Steam codes, is definitely a step up on the entitlement scale.

Most of the indie titles on my wishlist are 50-75% off. But if you explicitly expect all indie titles to drop to 75%, you're embodying a downward shift in consumer expectation that simply wasn't sustainable in the long run anyway.
I'm disinclined to purchase games at full price or normal discounts due to the size of my backlog, yes. I still have a right to state my opinion of the "special" discounts though. Why do you have a problem understanding that?

Most of my buys on Steam ARE impulse buys. When a game releases or hits my radar, I (like most consumers) typically provide a pricepoint or base value for the game. Once the game approaches that pricepoint, I will re-evaluate my value of that game and determine if the current pricing is equivalent to my evaluation.

Also, having an understanding of how Steam conducts their sales assists in this, if something is a Dailies > Flash > Regular Steam sales. If something hit a Daily or Flash, it's likely that will be the lowest you can expect the game to drop.

For example, FTL is 50% off and likely won't drop further. This price is equivalent of Direct Digital Distribution from the developers which allows you to support the developers even further than a Steam purchase. Given those facts, the current FTL Steam sale is lackluster. Why would I purchase a game through a third party site that takes more money from the people that actually made the game? There is no reason to. Instead, Steam should alter their sale to offer more value or a lower price than the competitor they have. Regardless of WHO sets the pricing, as a consumer, the value of the Steam sale is reduced.

It also doesn't help that in years past, there were tons of Indie titles that were offered from 66-90% off. FTL is not a major release. Most video game users don't even have a clue what it stands for. As a consumer, why would I pay 50% off for an Indie title that will likely approach a standard MSRP of 50% with sales that approach 75-90% of the current pricepoint?

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with the current PC gaming industry and the pricepoints current being demonstrated.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I am somewhat loath to be public about it, but apparently I was a "profiteering asshole" when Petrie came asking about buying two Borderlands 2 keys for $10 each and I agreed. Value was initially found to be quite good for both parties, I didn't realize that he was the childlike innocent, and I the "asshole" though. But I'm sure it would have been ok had he done it, or just profited by it through a reduced purchase himself.

So he's mad about people selling Skyrim and/or dishonored for 10 bucks. when it cost them 2,50 per game. (26 dollars for 11 games). Full disclosure, I did that. I sold Skyrim and Dishonored from my bundle.

However, not so mad about people selling Borderlands 2 for 10 bucks when it cost them 1.40 per game (5.60 for 4 games). A "deal" he apparently took advantage of?

Interesting.

Whoa. Just received GG email about Bethesda refund, though no refund yet and library remains unaffected. Received BL 4Pk refund, though no email about it yet and library remains unaffected. I guess it is just a matter of time for it all to flow through the systems. I was in very early on both of these and thought I was in the clear.

Petrie

Banned

I don't recall calling you a profiteering asshole.

And getting a reduced purchase myself isn't profiting from it. Apparently you don't know what profit means in this instance.

Also, I did not expect people to sell individual keys for $2.50, but those getting the bundle then selling Skyrim and Dishonored keys to Gaffers who couldn't checkout on GG for $20 a piece were profiteering assholes.

And if they sold them without even having the keys yet and will now lose money on the transaction, that's awesome, and brings a huge smile to my face.

So he's mad about people selling Skyrim and/or dishonored for 10 bucks. when it cost them 2,50 per game. (26 dollars for 11 games). Full disclosure, I did that. I sold Skyrim and Dishonored from my bundle.

However, not so mad about people selling Borderlands 2 for 10 bucks when it cost them 1.40 per game (5.60 for 4 games). A "deal" he apparently took advantage of?

Interesting.

I got mad at users selling them for $15-$20 each.

Also, note that I didn't take advantage of BL2 once I realized what the price of the bundle had actually been. I don't support people profiteering that way.

The Bundle clearly isn't "$2.50 per game", as some are worth more than others, but trying to get another Gaffer to essentially buy your bundle for you that way makes people jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom