• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sorry to drag us back to the JRPG/WRPG argument, but I think it's basically the same divide you see every time genre comes up. Some people define genre as being very literal, i.e., "the rhythms work like this, the guy sings in this key, etc.," while others define genre as a sum of all parts, from the feel and artistic intent to the actual history and scene something is a part of.

So half the time we're just not talking about the same thing. From my perspective, the Breath of Death/Cthulhu/Penny Arcade games are definitely JRPGs. Much like Dragon's Dogma is a Japanese take on a WRPG. They're specifically tapping into a heritage that isn't from their own countries.

Dark Souls is its own thing, much like King's Field was its own thing. There's nothing specifically western or eastern about those games (I often think of early Zelda and Ultima Underworld, yet neither of those really encapsulate what the Souls games are), they sort of exist in their own bubble. Most of FROM's games seem like they ignore their contemporaries as a rule.
Yeah, we share pretty much the same views.

JRPGs and WRPGs have a lot more to do about design paradigms (structured, combat-oriented, linear character-driven storylines versus open ended, systems heavy, player agency-driven storylines) than country of origin.

Dark Souls is kinda its own thing, though.

Whooter

I've checked and I have a key for King's Bounty: The Legend for those who are interested in it.
All you have to do is post a picture of what you consider to be your own personal 'King's Bounty'. I'll let me cat decide (I don't have a cat).

WPUFU.jpg

Wolfie5

Spent so far
Day 1: 0€
Day 2: 21,82€

Orcs Must Die 2 - Complete Pack -- 5,74€
Splinter Cell: Conviction -- 2,49€
Darksiders Franchise Pack -- 13,59€

My wishlist went down from 14 to 11. Not bad, 3 games I wanted. Bring on day 3.

Dingotech

Bought Dishonored off of GMG for $31. That's as cheap as it's going to get it seems seeing how absurdly high the Australian price for it is.

Why not get it gifted from somebody here for $29.99 off Steam? $1 man!!!!

Also it has been $21 on GMG before, maybe it will drop somewhere before the end of the holidays.

Smash88

Banned
For anyone on the fence about "I Am Alive". The game is pretty decent for the price.

It's like a cheap "The Last of Us" if you want to compare it to something.

It's not amazing, but it's a great substitute and a decent platformer/survival game. If want something that scratches your survival + "The Last of Us" itch, then it's worth the $5.

Otherwise, if you are looking for a well thought out substantiated game, this isn't what you are looking for.

Smash88

Banned
It seems wrong to call it a cheap "The Last of Us" since no one has played The Last of Us.

It may be wrong, but that's what I can compare it. Plus that game is widely known, and gameplay footage has been shown, so they have a sense of what to expect without me writing paragraphs upon paragraphs of it's game mechanics and what the game is like; when I can easily compare it to "The Last of Us."

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I give up. thahrfasfiouahiufhasiufhasiuhfiuashnfasfasfasfas

Amzin

It sounds like X-COM: Enemy Unknown would be right up your alley. Tactical battles with a strategy lair to improve your gear so you are better in those tactical battles basically.

The predecessors to Kings Bounty are called:

Ascension to the Throne and
Ascension to the Throne Valkyrie

Crude graphically given their age but they're all character and class based recruiting and turned based tactical battles. Very much enjoyed the first, will buy the 2nd from Amazon for $5. You might need a work around to get them running, see the comments on the Amazon page.

Thanks for the recommends. I had tried the demo of Armored Princess which just made it seem like HM&M, but I can give the older ones a shot or just give in and grab the full game. And hadn't even thought of looking at X-Com, will try that demo now too!

Might have already been mentioned but I was working and don't feel like going through the pages to see:

Stealth Bastard Deluxe is 50% off on GetGamesGo.

$5.00.

Darknight

So are the Splinter Cell games been cheaper than $2.50 or is this the cheapest it'll get? Now that I got a proper rig, I can replay these games how they were meant to look n play. (was a console only player not too long ago)

If so have they aged good?/does the MP still work? and finally should I buy them @ $2.50 a pop?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I highly recommend both Ys games, they're absolutely fantastic experiences.

Miker

Okay, I'm gonna buy Oath in Felghana for $3.74 and if I like it, buy Origin in another sale. Is that a smart thing to do, or should I go for Origin only? I don't think I want to buy both.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ys Origins is fantastic

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom