• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

I still can't believe I lost the Monkey Island flash deal. -___-

I even voted for it yesterday and had to leave. When I woke up there were 3 minutes left. Tried to buy it via mobile app but it fucking crushed/bugged or whatever and I lost it.

I'm so angry at myself for oversleeping.

Take heart, chum. It will be on sale again, possibly during this sale.

I have a dollar to spend on a gift, I was thinking Zeno Clash but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Nope. Zeno Clash is about the best way you can spend one dollar these days.

dorkimoe

really wish they did the christmas achievements ;(

I hope fortix 2 goes on sale, i had fun with the demo, its only 10$ but i feel like it will/should go to like 3 since all the other indie games are

Footos22

Buy Devil may cry guys. my laptop aint exactly the best but its maxing the shit out of it at a rock solid constant 60fps even at berial.

I can never look at the console version ever again, its gorgeous and yours for just £1.20

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So guys, Orcs must die 1 and 2.
Yay or nay?

Ive been interested since some time becuase it looked really cool and fun, but im not that much innto tower defense games.
Is theere a single player?
ALso if they are that good, do you reccommend me 1 or 2, 1 and 2 or the whole pack with DLC? Are there much difference between both or are they both really good so its good to get both?

There's a demo for 2. Play it.

KarmaCow

Buy Devil may cry guys. my laptop aint exactly the best but its maxing the shit out of it at a rock solid constant 60fps even at berial.

I can never look at the console version ever again, its gorgeous and yours for just £1.20

Where is DMC4 £1.20?

Seems kind of unfair. Of course jrpgs are outdated when the second they stop being turn-based, they don't count anymore.

Are you saying turn based is outdated? The fuck?

nexen

Seems kind of unfair. Of course jrpgs are outdated when the second they stop being turn-based, they don't count anymore.

There are plenty of JRPGs that aren't turn based.
To me it is more art style, storytelling style, and (unfortunately) menu based combat.

No one is restricted to make games in only one genre anyways. If a developer is feeling a genre is outdated...stop making games in that genre perhaps?

Sulik2

I recommend picking up OMD1 just for the bonus maps in OMD2 if nothing else. OMD2 is great but even better with a co-op partner. The DLC is decent if you get it on sale, just adds a few more levels/items/monsters.

I ask this periodically, always hoping someone will know a hidden gem: I'm looking for games in the style of Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, that new Ragnorak PSP game, but on the PC. NOT like Heroes of Might and Magic, King's Bounty, etc. I would rather avoid the city/world building and just focus on the characters and battles. Fallen Enchantress looks like maybe kinda close, anyone have any other suggestions?

It sounds like X-COM: Enemy Unknown would be right up your alley. Tactical battles with a strategy lair to improve your gear so you are better in those tactical battles basically.

sleepykyo

Where is DMC4 £1.20?

Are you saying turn based is outdated? The fuck?

Depends on the context.
When it comes to dismissing jrpgs? Yes.
When it comes to King's Bounty or HoMM? No.

There are plenty of JRPGs that aren't turn based.
To me it is more art style, storytelling style, and (unfortunately) menu based combat.

No one is restricted to make games in only one genre anyways. If a developer is feeling a genre is outdated...stop making games in that genre perhaps?

Or they could push the genre. Most games are currently blending multiple genres anyway. I can't remember the last shooter that is devoid of lite rpg elements.

nexen

When it comes to dismissing jrpgs? Yes.
This is a weird place and time to activate JRPG defense mode.

Or they could push the genre. Most games are currently blending multiple genres anyway. I can't remember the last shooter that is devoid of lite rpg elements.
I'm totally lost here. I was just trying to narrow down the guy's tastes so I could recommend some turn-based RPGs to him. He specifically requested turn-based.

Salsa

JRPG = possibly but not necesarelly turn based, random encounters, linear story.. (FF, Tales, big etc)

WRPG = mostly real time combat, conversation trees, sidequests.. (Fallout 3, KOTOR, Daggerfall, etc)

that's how I look at it anyway, and I like both if they're good.

nexen

JRPG = possibly but not necesarelly turn based, random encounters, linear story.. (FF, Tales, big etc)

WRPG = mostly real time combat, conversation trees, sidequests.. (Fallout 3, KOTOR, Daggerfall, etc)

that's how I look at it anyway, and I like both if they're good.

Yeah, I second this. This is a better categorization than mine. Like any other generalization it can get blurry when you get down to specific examples anyways.
edit: also the definitions morph over time as well. WRPGs used to be pretty much all turn based until the early 90s.

HoosTrax

Yes, right!

JRPGs:
Cthulhu Saves the World
Breath of Death 6
Penny Arcade Adventures x3

Roguelikes:
Hack, Slash, Loot
Dungeons of Dredmore

WRPGs:
Avernum series
Geneforge series
Eschalon series (not turn based)
Where does Dark Souls fit into this I wonder.

HoosTrax

I'd say it is either a Japanese-developed WRPG or an action game with RPG elements.

Or a puzzle game with ARPG elements.
Or a hidden object platformer/racing game.
Yeah it's one of those things that doesn't neatly fit into a mold. Technically, it's a "J"-RPG, but visually and gameplay-wise, it's more like a western ARPG.

nexen

Curious about the HAWX games. How do they compare to the early Ace Combats?

HAWX is Ace Combat with goofy Japanese storytelling replaced by MURICA!!!
Also grating voiceovers.

...and did I mention that the planes fly like shit?

Yeah it's one of those things that doesn't neatly fit into a mold. Technically, it's a "J"-RPG, but visually and gameplay-wise, it's more like a western ARPG.

I honestly don't think it fits the JRPG mold at all, except that it was made in Japan.

Anyone know about Divine Divinity? I have this in my wishlist, but forgot why.

It is a Diablo-alike with heavier emphasis on storytelling. It is a bit rough around the edges and really shows it's 'B'-tier quality but IMHO it is more than the sum of its parts and is a fun little ARPG. I recommend it.

sleepykyo

why not say why? its obviously not as black and white and they're blending all the time, but what makes you disagree?

Because that view doesn't account for blending. It was noted, (strict) turn-based has gone out of style, random encounters have largely disappeared, etc.

This isn't the thread, so I'll just leave it as I disagree.

Wolfie5

Just saw the new deals. Am i reading it right? Darksiders 2 for 17€ or Darksiders Franchise pack for 13,59€. What a weird deal. The pack seems like a good deal, even though I have the first game.

Orcs must die 2 is a given. Really enjoyed playing the first one.

Was hoping for a better deal on Dishonored. Think I will pass on that one.

nexen

Dark Souls kind of carved its own genre-niche, but it's definitely more WRPG.

You could also call it a Metroidvania.

Yeah. Even though I have a hell of a time getting into it and actually enjoying it, I think Demon's Souls is one of the most innovative games to come out of the mainstream industry in a long time. Such a great atmosphere as well.

Type2

I would like to do a little giveaway.
I have 3 Brazen Prototypes (2 Left)
Wizorb, BIT.TRIP.RUNNER, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Jamestown(one steam key)GONE
Metro 2033GONE
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of ChernobylGONE
Critter Crunch GONE
Red Faction Guerrilla GONE

Feel free to PM me with any of these in the title. First one for each game gets the key!
Happy Holidays to Steam GAF =]

Update: Super Hexagon GONE and To the Moon GONE are also up for grabs. Both of these games are fantastic!

I was really hoping that XCOM would see a good price. Like 50% off. Any word on what Amazon might have it for? That's usually a pretty good indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom