• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

baconcow

Valve hates me. Never wants to put on sales from the obscure games of my wishlist items. Should get Sleeping Dogs. On my wishlist, but am unsure. Steam users hate me because they never voted for Dirt. Is there any chance of a Dirt 2 sale during encore? Any chance of Wargame: European Escalation? I missed out on these. Same with the X-COM Collection... nothing.

:(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been curious, seeing the numerous and expensive expansions, does The Sims give you missions? Like I play Pharoah and Zeus and they give me goals to attain. Does The Sims have something similar among its more open gameplay? I can't imagine myself playing such a thing for long without something like that.

The Sims can be played in a lot of different ways, but I would considering leading your Sims towards their life/career goals as a quest of sorts. There's a lot of steps to mark your progression (leveling up skills, promotions at work, aging etc) and it takes a lot of work to make your Sim's very successful.

So neither AoW: Shadow Magic or Fallen Enchantress will run on my laptop (at least not until I figure out why they don't run and fix it). This is why I took up console gaming.

Sigh...

At least Spec Ops runs and after gunning through the first 30 minutes or so I can tell I'm gonna like it. And for only $2.50! Thanks, Amazon!

Reven

So neither AoW: Shadow Magic or Fallen Enchantress will run on my laptop (at least not until I figure out why they don't run and fix it). This is why I took up console gaming.

Sigh...

At least Spec Ops runs and after gunning through the first 30 minutes or so I can tell I'm gonna like it. And for only $2.50! Thanks, Amazon!

I finished Spec Ops today. It is a surprisingly great game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why couldn't the Lego games get a daily or something? D: I just need to get Lego Star Wars 3.

Just buy it now. Only a few of the Lego games have been more than half off (SW3 isn't among them) and this is exceedingly rare, plus Amazon doesn't sell a DD version of SW3 for the PC.

graywolf323

The Sims can be played in a lot of different ways, but I would considering leading your Sims towards their life/career goals is a quest of sorts. There's a lot of steps to mark your progression (leveling up skills, promotions at work, aging etc) and it takes a lot of work to make your Sim's very successful.

that or you can turn it into a murder simulator

where'd the pool ladder go? oh noes :p

J-Tier

I bought, downloaded and installed Sims 3 (more than a year ago), but I've yet to play it. How is the aging system? I hate seeing my characters die (from something outside my control) and I feel like that's what I'm going to hate most.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

The pool trick is too merciful. I'm all about slowly starving them in tiny, walled off rooms.

That or kenneling them in the back yard.

313978B6C861C56F0090A803579B975DDAE01A95

I bought, downloaded and installed Sims 3 (more than a year ago), but I've yet to play it. How is the aging system? I hate seeing my characters die (from something outside my control) and I feel like that's what I'm going to hate most.

The Sims without aging or death just wouldn't be the same. It's something you gotta accept.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Dupy is a great guy. He gifted me Driver: San Fran during the summer sale.

I only played that game for a few hours but it was pretty rad.

I like popping in during the big Steam sales. Everything is so cheap that I can gift to lots of people:)

baconcow

Oh well, maybe Steam hates me, but I don't hate you all. Quote to find a key for Stellar Impact. I'm sure it could benefit someone else more than me.

Helmholtz

Just wanted to say that, as long as you don't run into any save game bugs (which are apparently fairly common, although I didn't), the Walking Dead is amazing and anyone interested in games with great stories and characters should grab it. It's a steal at that price.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
That fucking helmet on the kid lol.

I kinda wanna torture people in The Sims 3 now. Gotta stay strong doe.

baconcow

Valve hates me. Never wants to put on sales from the obscure games of my wishlist items. Should get Sleeping Dogs. On my wishlist, but am unsure. Steam users hate me because they never voted for Dirt. Is there any chance of a Dirt 2 sale during encore? Any chance of Wargame: European Escalation? I missed out on these. Same with the X-COM Collection... nothing.

:(

What happened? It won't activate on your account or something?

Nah, just Steam wanting to kill me with lack of wishlist 75%'s. Stellar Impact is just a tiny gift for someone interested.

JaseC

"It's too risky! It's too risky!" -Smeagol

It's a pity there isn't a demo so people can gauge how the game will react to their setup. There are few things worse than spending money on something that doesn't work as intended.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
LOL That helmet. I wasn't really paying attention the first time, but makes me really want to be an asshole to him.
But could you live with the guilty conscience? The poor kid was minding his own business, when suddenly a magic flying cursor appeared out of thin air and created a waist-high fence around him, which he could not escape from, and so he died of starvation.

The Sims is a mass-murdering simulator. It should be banned.

Rorschach

Kinda debating whether to get Dishonored, Tropico, and/or TWD, but I seem to remember TWD and Dishonored having better deals. Did they? I might wait for the rehash sale.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
But could you live with the guilty conscience? The poor kid was minding his own business, when suddenly a magic flying cursor appeared out of thin air and created a waist-high fence around him, which he could not escape from, and so he died of starvation.

The Sims is a mass-murdering simulator. It should be banned.

Actually, I let him out of the kennel on and off for several years until his mom had to make room for a new baby so they burned him alive.

Kinyou

Wow, some people are addicted to gifting. Not that it's a bad thing but don't forget to buy some stuff for yourselves.

JaseC

Should I get Lost Planet 2 now or wait? This is the cheapest I have seen it on Steam.

Despite Lost Planet 2 not being discounted by more than 50% since 2011's Winter Sale, it's seen a general sale discount in every Winter and Summer Sale since the Winter Sale of 2010, so if you do wait, there's a very good chance it'll show up at half off again in ~six-months time. Basically, you need to ask yourself if LP2 is something you want to play right now or can wait ~six months for -- there's a chance it'll be cheaper at one point during this year's Summer Sale, but it's ever-so-slim.

Steamprices says it was $10 on the 20th

Check the year. ;)

Fantomex

Dupy gifted me Sleeping Dogs. What a fine chap man. Thanks a ton! But we have a problem Gaf, he has no games on his wishlist. He wants to win at not having a backlog. We can't let this happen!

I wish 2k would have put the slingshot pack on sale. hell man even 20% would have been awesome.
I love the game to death, but the Slingshot DLC really isn't worth what they're asking. I was underwhelmed. It also throws the alien progression out the window (you can encounter certain units
Chryssalids, Mutons
within the first couple of months). I guess if you're looking for an extra challenge it is ok. It's something to be aware of when deciding to purchase.

Havent actually played the game yet. Was waiting to buy the extra missions before I jumped in and I've also gotten pulled into Dark Souls. Thanks for the heads up though, makes me feel like I'm probably not missing much by going ahead and diving in without the extra missions.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Might as well ask this here, even though it's a little off topic: Is The Walking Dead still glitched as far as PC saves? I got it via the Steam sale, but I really hope that they fixed it by now. I don't want to run into it.

JaseC

Might as well ask this here, even though it's a little off topic: Is The Walking Dead still glitched as far as PC saves? I got it via the Steam sale, but I really hope that they fixed it by now. I don't want to run into it.

Yes, although if you're lucky you won't encounter the issue.

Dupy gifted me Sleeping Dogs. What a fine chap man. Thanks a ton! But we have a problem Gaf, he has no games on his wishlist. He wants to win at not having a backlog. We can't let this happen!
I was actually going to return the favour when he gave me Driver San Fran during the summer sale, but alas hit the same conundrum. It's like he has no weakness!

There is supposed to be a way around it where you make a copy of the saves in some other folder or something. I dont know what it is but someone else on here was mentioning it (in the other steam sale thread). I've also heard that if you play up until the first autosave in the next chapter you wont lose your progress. In other words dont stop playing at the end of a chapter, keep going into the next chapter until you get to the first save spot.

JaseC

There is supposed to be a way around it where you make a copy of the saves in some other folder or something. I dont know what it is but someone else on here was mentioning it (in the other steam sale thread). I've also heard that if you play up until the first autosave in the next chapter you wont lose your progress. In other words dont stop playing at the end of a chapter, keep going into the next chapter until you get to the first save spot.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37049

The root cause seems to simply be that the game saves and looks for prefs.prop in two different locations, switching between them in either case willy-nilly. Completely ridiculous that Telltale hasn't and apparently won't patch it.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I can't believe you don't have a wishlist. o_O

Honestly I have so many games in my backlog (console, portables, PC, mobile) that I don't need others adding to it:)

Seriously if I do want something (like a DOTA 2 key that Liferebooted so generously gave me) I'll let you guys know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom