• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Problem is I think VPN-shenanigans on steam for regional bypass is a thing of the past. Now you will need to use VPN each time you start a game.

I'm not aware of this being the case outside of belated region-specific release dates (i.e. you need to use a VPN to change the "Pre-load" button to "Play").

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I seem to recall that is the game where you first open the door to the house by burning some squirrels whilst playing the ukulele with your feet and riding a unicycle...except the unicycle has to be constructed first out of mud from the creek bed.

It is full of stuff like that right?

that is the greatest description of any game.

Forkball

Wasn't there a Dynasty Warriors game for PC? I thought I saw one on Gamersgate but I can't find it. Google yields nothing. Did I hallucinate this?

Also FFS I have too many games from the past few weeks. I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED SOME OF MY SUMMER PURCHASES. FROM 2010.

In what way? Because the thought of having to run an external software every single time I want to try a specific game sounds like a hassle I can do without :(

Not an issue in the loveable steam "never going to play the games anyway" kind of way.

4075224_o.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm not aware of this being the case outside of belated region-specific release dates (i.e. you need to use a VPN to change the "Pre-load" button to "Play").

Sadly I learned this the hard way. Even pressing play will give me the 'region-error' text.

In the loveable steam "never going to play the games anyway" kind of way.

4075224_o.gif

Bazinga!

Echoplx

Darkness isn't region locked, I bought from Amazon a while back and activated just fine in Australia, why do you think it is?

Wasn't there a Dynasty Warriors game for PC? I thought I saw one on Gamersgate but I can't find it. Google yields nothing. Did I hallucinate this?

Also FFS I have too many games from the past few weeks. I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED SOME OF MY SUMMER PURCHASES. FROM 2010.

I think there was Dynasty Warriors 5 for PC. I played it back in 2005-06 i think.

Corky

Which game/s?

Dishonored, saw the price on some shady site and bought it before I realized it was the Russian version.

Darkness isn't region locked, I bought from Amazon a while back and activated just fine in Australia, why do you think it is?

Well I'm gonna buy it regardless considering the price. I don't know why I believe it's regionlocked, just assume the worst like I always do.

JaseC

Dishonored, saw the price on some shady site and bought it before I realized it was the Russian version.

That makes sense, then, since Bethesda (and 2K, and Activision) have been dissuading foreigners from purchasing Eastern European versions of their games for some time now, dating back to Activision and Modern Warfare 2. If you're still not at ease, consider that The Darkness II has no US-specific sub in the registry, meaning Amazon's key will unlock the ROW version.

Corky

If you're still not at ease, consider that The Darkness II has no US-specific sub in the registry, meaning Amazon's key will unlock the ROW version.

Sounds good then :)

So Jan 2nd for the super-rebate then?

Giran

Dynasty Warriors 4, 5, 6 and 7 Xtreme Legends are on PC. As well as Samurai Warriors 2, Warriors Orochi and Warriors Orochi Z. DW5, 7XL and Warriors Orochi Z are Japanese only though.

Not sure why Koei refuses to use digital distribution for them.

JaseC

Cheers, one last question :

"Example Spec Ops: The Line and The Darkness 2 will both be $2.49 after coupon on 1/2."

This coupon, is it available to anyone?

Yes, in a sense: If you purchased any DD title from Amazon during December, you were given $5 of promotional credit.

dreamfall

How do people feel about Ridge Racer? I love the city backdrop- but I don't think I've played enough NFS: Most Wanted to justify a purchase (bought that months ago!).

Do they play similarly? It looks beautiful!

How do people feel about Ridge Racer? I love the city backdrop- but I don't think I've played enough NFS: Most Wanted to justify a purchase (bought that months ago!).

Do they play similarly? It looks beautiful!

No. I'd argue that Unbounded has more in common with TrackMania than Most Wanted, given that all of the events in Unbounded are closed tracks made using blocks and that it's very much about the racing first and foremost. Do note that the drifting system is weird (AFAIK you have to hold down the brake or something non-intuitive like that and the game never tells you).

baconcow

Thanks guys. Guess I'll settle for 7.50 then :D

Many people on CAG were selling it for less than $5 because they received it with Duke Nukem Forever and Borderlands GotY for $5. I'm sure there is still a $5 copy floating around. I would have bought that 3-pack, but I only wanted Darkness II.

No. I'd argue that Unbounded has more in common with TrackMania than Most Wanted, given that all of the events in Unbounded are closed tracks made using blocks and that it's very much about the racing first and foremost. Do note that the drifting system is weird (AFAIK you have to hold down the brake or something non-intuitive like that and the game never tells you).

The drifting system is so different from the previous RR games it messes me up at times. It's even radically different from any Arcade racer when it comes to controls. Its a mix of sim and Arcade...Very strange. The cars with 3 level drift feels very Arcade like, and very ridge. I'm getting use to the other cars, but is strange at times when I go from Blur, Driver and NFS:HP. I love the game, but wish it had that classic arcade controls and some colorful stages :)

Track editor you say?

Sold!

I like Trackmania (for the track building) but find the driving too arcadish. Always wanted more of a Need for Speed with a track editor (I was a huge fan of Stunts years ago).

Danielsan

Really regretting not picking up Thirty Flights of Loving for €2,50 when it was on sale. Especially after seeing it make David Jaffe's number one spot on his top 10. Hopefully it will go on sale again within the next 5 days.

Track editor you say?

Sold!

I like Trackmania (for the track building) but find the driving too arcadish. Always wanted more of a Need for Speed with a track editor (I was a huge fan of Stunts years ago).

Track editor is indeed present. As I said, it's closer to being a more realistic TrackMania than being yer Need For Speeds (or Ridge Racers).

(Spoiler: it's not particularly realistic. One of the most prominent gimmicks in the game is boosting through buildings, for example)

Jenks

Banned
Just got Bang Bang Racing of GMG for £1.40 dont know anything about it, then after activating it on Steam i realised theres a bloody demo on Steam.

Munin

So the Far Cry pack is actually cheaper if you buy each item individually instead of the pack (37.49 + 2.49 + 2.49 vs. 49.99). Seriously has Valve hired drunken chimpanzees for this sale?

Volcynika

So the Far Cry pack is actually cheaper if you buy each item individually instead of the pack (37.49 + 2.49 + 2.49 vs. 49.99). Seriously has Valve hired drunken chimpanzees for this sale?

The pack apparently has the deluxe edition of Far Cry 3, which make it about the same price as buying them individually.

MNC

Man. I just want to... buy stuff. I don't need... But it needs to be terribly low priced... I have problems...

Edit: DMC4!? WELP. BOUGHT. Can the GMG code be used multiple times?

Derrick01

Banned
So people say Thief holds up fairly well?

Thief 2 is still one of the top 3 stealth games of all time because the gameplay only got worse in games as time went on. Obviously it's pretty ugly now, but the stealth is still top notch.

If you meant 1 then I'm not as sure since I haven't played it in years.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Thief 2 is still one of the top 3 stealth games of all time because the gameplay only got worse in games as time went on. Obviously it's pretty ugly now, but the stealth is still top notch.

If you meant 1 then I'm not as sure since I haven't played it in years.
How does it compare to Deadly Shadows? It's sitting in my backlog.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Just started Thief Gold this morning. Haven't been this excited about playing a game in ages. Thief 2 is one of my all time favourite games, but I never touched 1 so the environments will be mostly all new to me. As for how it holds up, I actually like the way it looks and plays. It's old and it looks it, but it's not off putting. The controls are missing a decade or so of streamlining, but they're manageable. I can't seem to bind crouch to my right control key though, which is a bit irksome. I can bind other controls to that key, but not crouch... [Ninja edit: I can bind crouch to it, but it doesn't actually work]

Derrick01

Banned
How does it compare to Deadly Shadows? It's sitting in my backlog.

Deadly Shadows is the streamlined go-for-the-console-crowd game in the series, although it wasn't nearly as bad as others like Hitman Absolution, Splinter Cell Conviction, Deus Ex Invisible War. The Xbox's limited power really hurt the design and level size so Thief 1 and 2 are much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom