• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaccard

If you ever need to be unsold on a game Derrick can tell you why it sucks, compared to game x made in the last y years, and detail why developer z need to do better.

Reven

Ah got it, thanks.

I might just wait and see if Steam has those games on sale again.

Even without credit specops is 10 on amazon with both bioshocks included. Hotline is 7.50 on amazon and FTL is 7.50 on the devs websites.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have a copy of Bioshock 2 to give away. I want you to use MS Paint, to draw Big Daddy at his other day job. I will be picking the winner based on humor, so the funnier the better. You have three hours to do it, 4:30pm est is the deadline for entries.

Last call. 22 minutes left.

vidcons

Banned
If you bought a digital game on Amazon in December you got a five dollar credit to use this month.

$5 to use on their choice of games with sale prices that were recently raised to compensate for their generosity.

Let me buy Far Cry 2 for $1.50, damnit. READ THIS, TONY.

zkylon

zkylewd
Max Payne 1 never had a good story line. And I LIKED the game. Max Payne 2 is WAY overrated. It's the same melodrama shit from Max, after he's killed those responsible for his Wife/kids death, for no reason. That combined with a plot wherein, the writers looked around at established side characters and then said, 'Fuck it, make them the villains this time. Also, Max is single so lets have a love interest."

Try Ritalin*. The cut scenes were an improvement over the comic slides, which were okay in 1 but overplayed in 2.
The story might not have been amazing in the first two, but at least they were consistent with themselves and its themes and the games are packed with personality, with actually likable characters, and small bits of the surrealism and humor. The writing is pretty ridiculously overwrought, but that's part of its charm.

Max actually had a story arc through the first two games. He blindly wanted revenge for his family in the first one, falls in love in the second game and by the end he managed to make peace with his family's death.

Max Payne 3 actually features Dan Houser oscar-worthy stuff like "San Paolo is like Bagdad with G-Strings".

So yeah, MP2 was freaking Hamlet by comparison.

Hixx

Fucks sake, using the Steam overlay in Darksiders 2 is buggy as shit. So many times I've went in to reply to a message and when I get back the 360 control pad inputs are bugged :(

Crap port all round (have to wait until after the opening cutscene to change resolution... but you still have to restart the fucking game for it to take effect!) but this is genuinely annoying.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with Max Payne 3 is less the story and more that unskippable cutscenes consist of about 40-50% of the playtime. I assume you can work out why people have a problem with that. I'll let Derrick list all the ways why Hitman Absolution has nothing to do with the previous Hitman games other than that the main character is Agent 47, but needless to say you're wrong on that front, too.

So I point out how the story of MP1/2 is overrated and your response is unrelated opinion that MP3 has too much story sections? And that makes my point wrong how?

Also, your being hyperbolic about the ratio of cutscenes to gameplay. A lot of the unbearable cutscenes (that RUINED THE GAME) are 2-7 second clips that show the arrival of new enemies to shoot or explain how Max is in the next section/ set up a new area/reason for the player to begin shooting more enemies.

Yeah and some people (a small vocal minority) got motion sick from the camera in K&L2. What's your point? I have a cousin who can't ride in a car going faster than 45 mpg or he starts puking. I liked the visual effect in MP3. It's is a rip on the stylings of Man on Fire. MP1/2 are a rip on cheesy student final Film Noirs. That thread is just the vocal minority bitching that a game going for a unique aesthetic manages to aggravate their rare disability/artistic predilections. If you have a disability or preferences opposed to what is given, life is harder. Tough shit. Personally, I loathed the story cutscenes in MP2, MP3 is infinitly better. My cousin moved to New York so he could live without cars. They'll live though it.

Again, I haven't played the majority of Absolution. But oh no, it moves away from the well thought out and written cannon that has always been the backbone of the Hitman series. Really, everyone always talks about how genre defying the overarching story lines Hitman is known for. And forget about the realism, I mean The Agency? Don't tell me that isn't just a wink and a nod to the CIA.
The story line in Hitman, what little there is, has only existed to provide interesting/oddball targets, and move 47 from one location to the next with a sense of continuity.

The story might not have been amazing in the first two, but at least they were consistent with themselves and its themes and the games are packed with personality, with actually likable characters, and small bits of the surrealism and humor. The writing is pretty ridiculously overwrought, but that's part of its charm.

Max actually had a story arc through the first two games. He blindly wanted revenge for his family in the first one, falls in love in the second game and by the end he managed to make peace with his family's death.

Max Payne 3 actually features Dan Houser oscar-worthy stuff like "San Paolo is like Bagdad with G-Strings".

So yeah, MP2 was Hamlet compared to MP3.

Max Payne 2's bread and butter was referencing the story/locals of Max Payne 1. The only thing it did originally was completely exhaust the remnants of mythos of the previous game, making any further retreads unnecessary. Also there was a generic noir love story that unsurprisingly did not end with rainbows and happily ever after for the two jaded characters; mind-blowing outcome. MP3 decently bridged the gap between the games with the Flashback sequences.

MP writing was always appalling. At least with Houser, it wasn't brilliant but, at least it rates better than a student film.

I'll have to pass on that. I've spent too much time and energy in the last 6 months detailing why that game was going to suck and why it did suck. It's come and gone, flopped in sales and reviews so I'm moving on. Mission accomplished.

Exactly, that's why every time it comes up, you don't fail to post how Absolution is terrible and BM is a better game in every way.

Decado

Can't make up my mind on Crysis collection. I could swear amazon had it for 12.50 a while back, but not the steam versions. I'm not sure the steam version will go much cheaper than this given EA's resistance to sales...

Nymerio

How is Ridge Racer Unbounded? I really like classic ridge racer and I know this is nothing like that.

Just tried the demo, had some weird slowdowns going on. Not that the framerate went down, just the game going really slow for a short time and then speeding back up. And it crashed after the race. Also, it's not really Ridge Racer if that's what you're expecting.

Is there anyway to skip the cutscenes in Max Payne 3? Was looking at GiantBomb's quicklook. It just looks painful to watch. Still got plenty of time to decide on MP3.

Nabs

Skipping Cutscenes isn't that big a deal on your first run. You can always shift+tab and browse gaf if you need to kill time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Shitty repeat deals. What a shock! Man this years sale is so dissapointing its not even funny.

That being said is Transformers Fall of Cybertron worth $30? Also are the items you get in the fury DLC pack for single player worth it?

Haven't played it on pc, so I can't comment on this version, but I thought FoC was incredible. The first few chapters are just ok, but then it's one great level after another. If you've always wanted that one great TF game, this is it. WfC was a step in the right direction, but FoC crushes it. Back in the day I thought the PS2 TF game was as good as it was gonna get, but FoC... oh man.

graywolf323

I have to say the thing I miss most this sale is the backgrounds getting uploaded to the community group formatted as wallpapers :(

Fuck it, I got Unbounded. Total damage this holiday:

Unbounded bundle | Fable - The Lost Chapters | F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn (DLC) | F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin | Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit | Upgrade to Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition | Assassin's Creed™: Director's Cut Edition | L.A. Noire | Driver San Francisco | Deadlight | Resident Evil™ 5 | Mark of the Ninja | Retro City Rampage | Dead Rising 2: Off the Record | Chivalry: Medieval Warfare | Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Insurgency Pack | Orcs Must Die 2 - Are We There Yeti? | Darksiders II - Argul's Tomb | Darksiders II - Death Rides | Darksiders II - Abyssal Forge | Darksiders II - The Demon Lord Belial | Bioshock 1 and 2 | Duke Nukem Forever | Renegade Ops | Risen 2.

Fuck money!!!!

edit: oh also: Lego LOTR | Scribblenauts Unlimited

evilhomer

Just got Max Payne 3 for 10 dollars from amazon, hard to pass on that deal. Thanks everyone for the heads up on the deal and 5 dollar promotion on it!

I'm a hardcore Ridge Racer fan and I'm really enjoying RR Unbounded. Runs super smooth downsampled from 1800p (Nvidia SLI), still adjusting to the drifting and it's tough as nails, but I really enjoy it; especially racing with the original RR car. Man I would so love to have a real next gen RR series on PC. I love the clean look of the world... RR Unbounded's world is a lot grittier, but you can still feel the RR DNA throughout.

baconcow

Has Dark Souls been a daily deal yet? I remember it being a flash and community deal.

It was on 50% off on the 26th and 29th. One of them was a voted win.

Is anyone doing a Monaco PC 4-pack pre-order? I am thinking of doing one, since it is 4 for $45 ($11.25 each, instead of $13.50... and pre-order gets you the prototype).

Fuck it, I got Unbounded. Total damage this holiday:

Unbounded bundle | Fable - The Lost Chapters | F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn (DLC) | F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin | Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit | Upgrade to Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition | Assassin's Creed™: Director's Cut Edition | L.A. Noire | Driver San Francisco | Deadlight | Resident Evil™ 5 | Mark of the Ninja | Retro City Rampage | Dead Rising 2: Off the Record | Chivalry: Medieval Warfare | Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Insurgency Pack | Orcs Must Die 2 - Are We There Yeti? | Darksiders II - Argul's Tomb | Darksiders II - Death Rides | Darksiders II - Abyssal Forge | Darksiders II - The Demon Lord Belial | Bioshock 1 and 2 | Duke Nukem Forever | Renegade Ops | Risen 2.

Fuck money!!!!

edit: oh also: Lego LOTR | Scribblenauts Unlimited

lol i feel your pain bro

alba

Little is the new Big
Just got Max Payne 3 for 10 dollars from amazon, hard to pass on that deal. Thanks everyone for the heads up on the deal and 5 dollar promotion on it!

I got it for 4.99 since apparently my promotion was 10 bucks, lol. Cheers, amazon!

zkylon

zkylewd
Max Payne 2's bread and butter was referencing the story/locals of Max Payne 1. The only thing it did originally was completely exhaust the remnants of mythos of the previous game, making any further retreads unnecessary. Also there was a generic noir love story that unsurprisingly did not end with rainbows and happily ever after for the two jaded characters; mind-blowing outcome. MP3 decently bridged the gap between the games with the Flashback sequences.

MP writing was always appalling. At least with Houser, it wasn't brilliant but, at least it rates better than a student film.
To be fair, my favorite has always been the first, so I'm not gonna bother much with the second.

I do strongly disagree with:
a) MP1&2 writing being appaling: it's not, it had style and flair and it was goofy, but in a way that was immensely enjoyable and gripping. It wasn't Tolstoi but it worked really, really well.
b) Dan Houser is an improvement: no, in no fucking way, and I'm actually surprised you're citing the first two as student film wannabes, when the first two actually embraced the gaming medium with little to none cutscenes, and using a comic book aesthetic that was very unique and was very forward-thinking compared to what games used to be, had a literary quality that few games would ever reach, even if, again, it wasn't Tolstoi, it worked great. And then you had in-gameplay dream sequences, TV shows, enemy dialogue and other very videogame details that made it a very gamey experience.

Now compare that to Max Payne 3, which feels like it needs a cutscene to show that Max opened a door or flipped a switch or sees an enemy.

Max Payne 3 is the real student film wannabe, and it's a shitty movie with social commentary that goes nowhere because not even the Housers know what the hell they were meaning to say, and that destroys a beloved character by turning him into an emo guy depressed about the thing that cost him two games to get over. R* had a clean slate to start with, Max was over his family's death and ready to break new frontiers, and R* just decided he should become a drunk and have a depressive relapse because, hey, that Man on Fire movie was really cool!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
pqN13.png

Always love doing these. Hopefully more people will add their drawings.

Congrats on the win fellas. :)

First to quote, gets Bioshock 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom