• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't get past more than 30 minutes of The Secret World. I love the subject matter but it just feels so bland. I'd rather they just do it as a single player story with all the bells and whistles.

Speevy

Banned
What? It's true.

There's no scale that correctly defines where game writing exists in relation to other game writing.

It's either compelling or it isn't. You're lucky if it has a story at all.

Good to see Deadlight up there again, I missed it the first time around. Might buy it, but after that, I'm done, I've spent $72 this time around. Not too much damage.

Lingitiz

What? It's true.

There's no scale that correctly defines where game writing exists in relation to other game writing.

To say they are all crap is discrediting the really great stuff like The Witcher games, Planescape Torment, Fallout New Vegas, The Walking Dead, etc. It's not fair to make such a broad generalization.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Most of my friends already have it, but SPAZ (Space Pirates & Zombies) is definitely worth picking up for $2.50 if you don't. It also got a nice content update, which just makes it even more so.

zkylon

zkylewd
What? It's true.

What?

Then how can you say they're crap if you say they cannot be measured?

Also, why cannot they be measured?

Seriously what?

dani_dc

they were a flash deal before so wait for them to go back to 75% off before buying them
Actually, only the franchise pack was discounted, the individual games prices remained the same. So I don’t think we’ll see the individual TR games further discounted this sale.

Babalu.

starting to lose hope that evochron mercenary will become a flash deal....why oh why didn't i get it during the summer/thanksgiving sale or whenever i saw it last.

cmon steam i wannnnt it.

its the last game on my wishlist

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Most of my friends already have it, but SPAZ (Space Pirates & Zombies) is definitely worth picking up for $2.50 if you don't. It also got a nice content update, which just makes it even more so.

Not to mention there's a LOT of content. I have 45 hours played and I've barely scratched the surface.

Watevaman

starting to lose hope that evochron mercenary will become a flash deal....why oh why didn't i get it during the summer/thanksgiving sale or whenever i saw it last.

cmon steam i wannnnt it.

I wanted it to go lower too. Luckily I can wait for it.

Logged into my other Amazon account (don't ask me why I have two) the $5 is not applying to MP3. :(

Le sigh, they should have just sent everyone codes instead of this auto BS.

But it works when I add TSW...wtf charles?

Koroviev

Considering Dark Souls since I have the promo credit. My only concern is that I have a dual-core processor (3.0 GHz). Is that sufficient? (I'm not particularly concerned about my other hardware.)

Skyrim is a possible alternative if there are still cheaper, legitimate keys floating around.

Tc91

cmon steam i wannnnt it.

Same with me and the Ys games :/ should of picked them up when they were 75%

Speevy

Banned
To say they are all crap is discrediting the really great stuff like The Witcher games, Planescape Torment, Fallout New Vegas, The Walking Dead, etc. It's not fair to make such a broad generalization.

I'm not trying to discredit anything. I'm saying that whether or not good game stories exist, they're so few and far between (half-decades in between according to some of the responses I've heard) that it's not worthwhile to discuss what game stories are good.

When films are discussed, it's usually in relation to contemporary film. People don't compare "Lincoln" with a movie that came out 15 years ago. There's not a useful standard.

Have you played MOnkey Island games? Not great but jsut perfect for the game and setting.

I reiterate. Since the type of storytelling in that game isn't pervasive to other games, it is not useful to compare stories.

What?

Then how can you say they're crap if you say they cannot be measured?

Also, why cannot they be measured?

Seriously what?

They're crap in the sense that it is not a developer's aim to create a compelling story. I could list a thousand games which support this claim, and you would have the same dozen.

It is not useful to compare game stories.

zkylon

zkylewd
Considering Dark Souls since I have the promo credit. My only concern is that I have a dual-core processor (3.0 GHz). Is that sufficient? (I'm not particularly concerned about my other hardware.)

Skyrim is a possible alternative if there are still cheaper, legitimate keys floating around.
I'll figure if you can run Skyrim you can run Dark Souls.

Also, Dark Souls requirements on Steam: Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 GHz+ or AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0 GHz+

I reckon you'll be alright.

Runs fine on my dual core 2.7 Ghz and a 550ti. Use DSFix to unlock the framerate as in some spots it is capped at 15 FPS.

Koroviev

I'll figure if you can run Skyrim you can run Dark Souls.

Also, Dark Souls requirements on Steam: Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 GHz+ or AMD Phenom II X2 545 3.0 GHz+

I reckon you'll be alright.

I'm familiar with the requirements, but those aren't always the best indicator of actual performance, especially with respect to console ports.

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01: View Post
I understand you even less... :[
Originally Posted by Refreshment.01: View Post
But i can be bought for 10 dollars.
What a great f*cking typo, completly unintentional. And no, i dont think anybody would pay 10 for an useless piece of crap like me. Not even for shark bait.

Koroviev

oh man chivalry is hilariously hard.

I'm a little disappointed with the performance so far, but it might be my hardware or that I'm running Windows 8. It hasn't crashed or anything, but it feels like I'm moving through molasses, even though it's running at 40+ fps. It also doesn't seem very responsive to changes in graphical settings, so maybe it's a cpu issue?

Really disappointed in the Cave Story+ remake.. the graphics just don't gel with me. Although there is probably an "original" option, haven't checked for it yet.

PS. The game has an instant-achievement if you launch it in the holiday period, and unique holiday graphics.

Lingitiz

I'm not trying to discredit anything. I'm saying that whether or not good game stories exist, they're so few and far between (half-decades in between according to some of the responses I've heard) that it's not worthwhile to discuss what game stories are good.

When films are discussed, it's usually in relation to contemporary film. People don't compare "Lincoln" with a movie that came out 15 years ago. There's not a useful standard.

I reiterate. Since the type of storytelling in that game isn't pervasive to other games, it is not useful to compare stories.

They're crap in the sense that it is not a developer's aim to create a compelling story. I could list a thousand games which support this claim, and you would have the same dozen.

It is not useful to compare game stories.

You're acting as if games haven't changed in the last decade though. There are certainly many developers out there trying to write good stories. In the case of Max Payne 3, the cinematics are so prevalent that you would be crazy to think that they weren't at least attempting to tell a compelling story (regardless of the actual quality).

We have entire genres that live and die by story now. You can be certain that adventure games will be coming back in a big way thanks to the Walking Dead. There's already been a resurgence on the PC alone. Without a good story, that entire genre can fall apart. Then there's of course RPGs, where good writing is a huge pillar of the game's success. Even Uncharted 2, which is a pretty by-the-book action adventure story owes alot to strong narrative, and it was painfully obvious how badly the quality of that writing dropped in some parts of UC3.

To ignore criticism and comparison of writing in games because they are all "crap" seems ignorant. Games have changed alot, and story is a huge part of many of genres now. While I would agree that it can seem that truly well written games aren't numerous, there are certainly many developers striving to write better stories in games. Otherwise, we wouldn't see so much effort being put into expensive performance capture and the like. Even without that, a low budget indie game can still have strong writing despite it's low production values. If that effort is being put into making game stories, then yes it is certainly worthwhile to make comparisons between writing.

Also, someone PM me for Bioshock 2. Edit: taken

Oh well that's weird, my Visa gift cards I got for Christmas are no longer working. Called Visa and they said something about waiting 24hrs. I was wondering why I couldn't buy Hitman, fuck I don't get paid from work until the 3rd. Anyone wanna be awesome and gift HMA to me? :D Will totally turn some tricks for ya haha.

Amazon should have screwed up that Bioshock pack's pricing during normal awake hours.

You can get Bioshock/Bioshock 2/Spec Ops for 9.99, or 4.99 with the $5 off.

MRORANGE

Ok guys I'm out, not buying anything else, only have 5 items left on my wishlist anyway.

My biggest regret is not picking up Dishonred as I didn't know if I could run it on 2GB of ram with a Radeon 4850

So I picked up 31 games this holiday season, thanks for all the gift and prizes that everyone has given me, granted the sale was very lacklustre but I still picked up some great games :

jbxg9tCkOEKN5d.png

Good luck with those repeats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom