• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
I remember a lot of people saying Max Payne 3 was a big disappointment in some other thread. This true?

I really liked the first 2 MP games on PC, but haven't been following the third one. Is it a good PC port? If you have any impressions, please share.

LuffyZoro

I have a copy of Bioshock 2 to give away. I want you to use MS Paint, to draw Big Daddy at his other day job. I will be picking the winner based on humor, so the funnier the better. You have three hours to do it, 4:30pm est is the deadline for entries.

pqN13.png

I remember a lot of people saying Max Payne 3 was a big disappointment in some other thread. This true?

I really liked the first 2 MP games on PC, but haven't been following the third one. Is it a good PC port? If you have any impressions, please share.

I just got MP3 a week or two ago.

The story isn't as good as 1 or 2 and the amount of cutscenes are simply jarring in how frequently they interrupt you.

BUT, its one of, if not the best, feeling shooter I've played in a while. You shoot a guy and they react really well to getting shot. The physics they have for that sort of thing are great. It feels like Bullet time is a bit stingier and wears off quicker than 1 or 2, which sort of forces you to use cover more. But for $15 or $10 its plenty fun. I've been enjoying it anyway. The soundtrack is really good too. I do wish there was a Dead Man Walking mode, like Max Payne 2 had.

As a PC port it seems pretty much fine too. It runs quite well on my old 5770 and mouse and keyboard controls in gameplay are fine.

Grief.exe

The general consensus is its a great port, great 3rd person shooter, and a solid game overall, but not necessarily a great Max Payne game.

Obviously subjective and the opinion will vary from person to person. Does sound like a good pick up though.

Derrick01

Banned
You can quit now. What I played of Absolution is pretty good, and better thought out/ executed than missions in Blood money. It's been too long for a list of specifics, but BM has a lot of design issues that are readily apparent on the first playthrough.

Hahaha this is great.

Risgroo

I have a copy of Bioshock 2 to give away. I want you to use MS Paint, to draw Big Daddy at his other day job. I will be picking the winner based on humor, so the funnier the better. You have three hours to do it, 4:30pm est is the deadline for entries.

Business is slow for Big D, as he struggles to match his competitors' prices. Hurhur so funny.

What have I done

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

No, they're just being melodramatic about how MP3 doesn't continue to retread the same tired storyline for the third time. MP1 had interesting mechanics and a decent (not great) story and setting to back it up. The story and setting in MP2 was a sad rehash of MP1 with some sloppy noir tidbits thrown in as the only saving grace.

The story in MP3 is really different, but the thing is that there was little else to be said about the MP1/MP2 story line outside of the vignette section that WAS in MP3. Everyone just refuses to let it go.

cicero

How nice of Amazon to pick up where Steam dropped off. Max Payne 3 is mine, and I still have 11 coupons left. This should be a good January.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ridge Racer Unbounded any good?

I've read the PC port is sloppy, with few graphic options, non-configurable controls, microstutter on Nvidia cards. I don't know if it's been patched since then.

The game itself is a decent arcade racer, better than average, but no Burnout.

filipe

I've read the PC port is sloppy, with few graphic options, non-configurable controls, microstutter on Nvidia cards. I don't know if it's been patched since then.

The game itself is a decent arcade racer, better than average, but no Burnout.

Mmm ok, maybe I'll just until wait Burnout Paradise is on sale again.

cicero

Is there an amazon deal on max 3?

Amazon price matched Steam's current $15 price, but then they put it into the 2012 Editor's Choice Digital Games selection, which means that anyone who bought a game this past November-December from Amazon got a $5 off coupon specifically for this Editor's Choice Selection in January now. This brings Max Payne 3 down to $10 once the coupon is automatically applied during checkout.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FPV88U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

masterkajo

Steam just have one Trails game? That is Trials second edition. Or is a regional thing and i can't see the other one.

Afaik, it is the only one. But they are working on a new Trials Gold Edition for PC (is in Beta right now) which consists of Trials HD and Trials Evolution from Xbox Live Aracade. I am eagerly awaiting it.

You can quit now. What I played of Absolution is pretty good, and better thought out/ executed than missions in Blood money. It's been too long for a list of specifics, but BM has a lot of design issues that are readily apparent on the first playthrough.

No, they're just being melodramatic about how MP3 doesn't continue to retread the same tired storyline for the third time. MP1 had interesting mechanics and a decent (not great) story and setting to back it up. The story and setting in MP2 was a sad rehash of MP1 with some sloppy noir tidbits thrown in as the only saving grace.

The story in MP3 is really different, but the thing is that there was little else to be said about the MP1/MP2 story line outside of the vignette section that WAS in MP3. Everyone just refuses to let it go.

Nice bit of satire there, I laughed.

To be serious here: Max Payne 3 is Unskippable Cutscenes: The Game and Hitman Absolution is actually a Splinter Cell game, and not a particularly good one at that (although better than Conviction. Which on reflection is really not saying much). If you have to decide between the two, the correct answer is "neither".

Speevy

Banned
Amazon price matched Steam's current $15 price, but then they put it into the 2012 Editor's Choice Digital Games selection, which means that anyone who bought a game this past November-December from Amazon got a $5 off coupon specifically for this Editor's Choice Selection in January now. This brings Max Payne 3 down to $10 once the coupon is automatically applied during checkout.

Well I'm out of coupons.

Anyone feel like gifting me a copy of Max Payne 3?

Thanks.

hlhbk

Shitty repeat deals. What a shock! Man this years sale is so dissapointing its not even funny.

That being said is Transformers Fall of Cybertron worth $30? Also are the items you get in the fury DLC pack for single player worth it?

Anyone?

Hmph. I already used my coupon but I would have used it for Max Payne 3 if it were priced that way whenever I made my purchase earlier. It's in the top three of my wishlist.

PaulLFC

The Secret World's downloader/launcher is possibly the worst download program I've ever had to deal with. It's awful. Left it on while I was out, speed had been constantly changing but could reach around 600kb/s at times (my max speed is around 900kb/s).

I get home to find out it's downloading at approximately 20bytes/s (yes, bytes), despite everything else (Steam, Youtube, etc) seeming to indicate no problems with the connection. WTF?

I posted this in the BFG Doom 3 thread but it's fallen to page three already with no response so I thought I would try here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I obtained Doom 3 BFG via Steam and am curious if it can now accept previous mods intended for vanilla Doom 3.

I read a wiki that says that it can:
Compatible with existing texture and sound Doom 3 mods
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_3_BFG_Edition

Is this incorrect or can the BFG edition now use the high-resolution texture mods? I believe one of them is called Sikk mod.

BFG edition also comes with Doom and Doom II, and according to the wiki, the wad files from this release will work with Zandronum and ZDaemon as well as with Doomsday and ZDoom. Though to be honest, I'm not sure which of these I need to use.
It's a shame about the removed content (Hitler portrait/Nazi signs/Red Cross med pack/Tower of Babel construction image).

I haven't tried it out yet, so maybe I'll dig it. The last time I played Doom 3 was at launch on a top of the line PC I built specifically for it. 1600x1200 resolution and all of that shadowy goodness. I've heard nothing but bad things about BFG edition. How textures don't look good and some shadows have even been removed.

Please help. Thanks!

Addnan

The Secret World's downloader/launcher is possibly the worst download program I've ever had to deal with. It's awful. Left it on while I was out, speed had been constantly changing but could reach around 600kb/s at times (my max speed is around 900kb/s).

I get home to find out it's downloading at approximately 20bytes/s (yes, bytes), despite everything else (Steam, Youtube, etc) seeming to indicate no problems with the connection. WTF?
It's terrible. When I got it the other other day I was getting 400KBs max. Although yesterday when updating I got acceptable speeds, like 4MBs.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha this is great.

It's also true. Harping about how GREAT AND WONDERFUL BM is and how its THE LAST GOOD Hitman(tm) is disingenuous and quite sad. Giant open world maps for each section are not a prerequisite to success. BM's maps were full of empty/generic badly designed portions. Anyway, unnecessarily large areas are not efficient, especially if you want any kind of meaningful story.And the story of BM was marginally more coherent and memorable than the story in Deus Ex. The beginning of Absolution seems to be better thought out. And no, just because the game takes away the ability to kill all targets for story purposes, does not make it bad*.

*I only heard about this. I haven't played that far into Absolution yet so I can't comment on the totality of the release.

Nice bit of satire there, I laughed.

To be serious here: Max Payne 3 is Unskippable Cutscenes: The Game and Hitman Absolution is actually a Splinter Cell game, and not a particularly good one at that (although better than Conviction. Which on reflection is really not saying much). If you have to decide between the two, the correct answer is "neither".

Max Payne 1 never had a good story line. And I LIKED the game. Max Payne 2 is WAY overrated. It's the same melodrama shit from Max, after he's killed those responsible for his Wife/kids death, for no reason. That combined with a plot wherein, the writers looked around at established side characters and then said, 'Fuck it, make them the villains this time. Also, Max is single so lets have a love interest."

Try Ritalin*. The cut scenes were an improvement over the comic slides, which were okay in 1 but overplayed in 2.

I haven't even approached the end of Absolution...so yeah.

*Edit: okay, a lot of the later cutscenes should have been gameplay instead.

There's been a couple of times where TSW's downloader has glitched out on me, for example downloading more data than said download required. Quite literally giving it 200%.

is this a deal
-bioshock
-bioshock 2
-borderlands goty
-darknes 2
-DNF
-specops

all for $10??? deal of the decade lol
amazon steam roling steam

Torraz

There's been a couple of times where TSW's downloader has glitched out on me, for example downloading more data than said download required. Quite literally giving it 200%.

TSWs downloader went over 100% for me. In the time that it worked correctly, however, it ran at full speed.

'Shitty repeat deals. What a shock! Man this years sale is so dissapointing its not even funny.

That being said is Transformers Fall of Cybertron worth $30? Also are the items you get in the fury DLC pack for single player worth it?'

Anyone?

It's good, if you are a Transformers/just general 3rd person shooter fan then it is well worth it. I'm finding it a little variable, some of the guys you play as are just sorta dull but the stand out guys like Vortex and Megatron are amazing to just roll about with and kick some butt (in fact I think the game is getting better the further I play into it). It ain't perfect, but if you are looking for a fast paced shooter then it is well worth the price.

Concerning the DLC, I haven't touched the multi, so I can't comment on the value of that. But in regards to the new guns, the game has a lot of guns, it doesn't feel at all like I am being held back because I am missing those two.

Xyber

Yeah, it's pretty bad when it comes to speed. At least I got about 4 MB/s but that's not really that great when I should be getting ~14 MB/s. But I can't complain since I never got anywhere near your speed.

PaulLFC

is this a deal
-bioshock
-bioshock 2
-borderlands goty
-darknes 2
-DNF
-specops

all for $10??? deal of the decade lol
amazon steam roling steam
I assume you bought the Crazy Action Pack and Desert to Sea bundle and used $5 credit on each of them? Or is there a bundle with all of those for $10 without using credit?

Edit: yep, just saw above post.

I see, not a bad deal. How's multiplayer for this thing and how much does the story mode lasts?
Afaik, it is the only one. But they are working on a new Trials Gold Edition for PC (is in Beta right now) which consists of Trials HD and Trials Evolution from Xbox Live Aracade. I am eagerly awaiting it.
It's a fantastic and so well executed concept. Probably one of the best games of all time because how engaging this is. I stumble upon the game because i always found the real sport fascinating (even thought im not a fervient follower) and it was on disscount.

I really recomend it to everyone else.

Thanks to both for being so informative XD

Risen 2 is $7.48 at Gamersgate.

I don't know..
I liked the first game well enough (despite the disappointing last 1/3rd) but I've heard the sequel is pretty much worse in every way.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How is Ridge Racer Unbounded? I really like classic ridge racer and I know this is nothing like that.

I assume you bought the Crazy Action Pack and Desert to Sea bundle and used $5 credit on each of them? Or is there a bundle with all of those for $10 without using credit?

Edit: yep, just saw above post.

its awesome deal especially i haven't played non of these games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom