• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm a little disappointed with the performance so far, but it might be my hardware or that I'm running Windows 8. It hasn't crashed or anything, but it feels like I'm moving through molasses, even though it's running at 40+ fps. It also doesn't seem very responsive to changes in graphical settings, so maybe it's a cpu issue?
Specs? The game is GPU limited on my i5-750 rig.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not trying to discredit anything. I'm saying that whether or not good game stories exist, they're so few and far between (half-decades in between according to some of the responses I've heard) that it's not worthwhile to discuss what game stories are good.

When films are discussed, it's usually in relation to contemporary film. People don't compare "Lincoln" with a movie that came out 15 years ago. There's not a useful standard.

I reiterate. Since the type of storytelling in that game isn't pervasive to other games, it is not useful to compare stories.

They're crap in the sense that it is not a developer's aim to create a compelling story. I could list a thousand games which support this claim, and you would have the same dozen.

It is not useful to compare game stories.
"If 99% of videogame stories suck, then why bother with the remaining 1%?"

I seriously cannot understand how that line of thought leads to that conclusion, specially when you do agree there are games with compelling stories.

It should be the other fucking way around, since 99% of videogame stories suck, just suck that 1% dry and live and breath by it!

You really make no sense to me.

Kinyou

Stop looking at me like that Empire.

empi9fzg.jpg

Stop it!

JustinBB7

So, you noticed Rockstar does the same thing to Max Payne's covers that it does to GTA's?.

Doesn't seem the same to me, the girl on the cover gets held hostage in a bunch of pictures, but that's not the actual girl that's taken hostage in the game.

Random hot girl on a cover on a GTA game makes sense in the way that you know you will not play as her or any story will be about her.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Same games on flash sale again???? Are you kidding me!!!!!!!

Game publishers have grown tired of making money off their old titles so they only pimp their new ones every single day.

oipic

This may be some sort of new year melancholy, but I don't think I'll need to buy any games in 2013.

Scrolling (and scrolling) through my Steam library has reminded me of just how many great must-play games I've accumulated through the past year or two of sales - I should really stop coveting and just play what I have.

Must stay away from this thread - I love you all dearly, SteamGAF, but in the words of Sir Mix-a-Lot: baby got back(log).

Missed Witcher 2 the other day though, stupidly (it'll return, right?). I should probably try FTL, too, and if a good price pops up again for Sleeping Dogs, that would be tempting as well...

feel

If someone wants to use my Amazon $5 coupon, just PM me. I can buy the game or bundle for you on Amazon and you can just pay me with paypal.

Fou-Lu

This may be some sort of new year melancholy, but I don't think I'll need to buy any games in 2013.

Scrolling (and scrolling) through my Steam library has reminded me of just how many great must-play games I've accumulated through the past year or two of sales - I should really stop coveting and just play what I have.

Must stay away from this thread - I love you all dearly, SteamGAF, but in the words of Sir Mix-a-Lot: baby got back(log).

Missed Witcher 2 the other day though, stupidly (it'll return, right?). I should probably try FTL, too, and if a good price pops up again for Sleeping Dogs, that would be tempting as well...

I know what you mean... I feel the exact same way, even your spoiler speaks to me... Haha.

I don't know how I went from not having a steam account to having over three hundred games in 15 months.

I haven't spent very much in dollars this year, but between the last few Humble Bundles, GOG, and Amazon sales for Steam codes, I've probably added another 15 titles to my backlog for less than $30.

Omega

Banned
Would someone be willing to get me Dark Souls from Amazon for that $12.99 price? Most I can do right now is gift a game from Steam around of equal value.

I shouldn't have wasted my money on a steam card =/

ShaneB

Are we seriously discussing the writing in a video game?

They're all crap. ALL. OF. THEM.

I'm a little late to this, but as been mentioned there are great examples of extremely well written stories in video games. The problem is that the bar is set so low, most games are created with the intent that story doesn't matter, because we're being trained that all video game stories have been awful, and that totally impedes progress in getting any sort of quality.

hlhbk

How is the port for Fall of Cybertron? I know with War for Cybertron you had to download a trainer to get the game running at 60 FPS. Is this still the case in FOC?

StAidan

I think I'm about done. I won a ton of great games (and bought a few) during last year's holiday sale, so there wasn't a lot to tempt me this time around.

The damage was pretty minimal:
- Home
- Half-Minute Hero
- Tropico 4

and, gifted by a friend,
- Torchlight II

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Picked up MP3, I really have to beat 2, I bought it day one, and then rebought the steam version and still have yet to beat it, or even get very far into it. :/

Also, is the first Transformers game not controller compatible? It doesn't say so on Steam, almost bought it but held off, no way I will play a game like that with M&KB.

Deadbeat

Banned
Its pretty interesting how chivalry has had multiple sales at 50% off and is currently 33% yet is still selling better than War of the Roses when its a daily deal.

Kammie

Deadlight looks awesome, but I can't justify spending 7.50 on yet another game. Adding to my wishlist and will wait for it to hit 5 on the next sale.

maty

Oh hell there's nothing wrong with it at all. I think it's awesome. I just don't think I could ever do it, despite how many times the thought has crossed my mind. :p

Don't worry, I'm just like you. In fact, I've never even taken a free code given here. :p

Nabs

Its pretty interesting how chivalry has had multiple sales at 50% off and is currently 33% yet is still selling better than War of the Roses when its a daily deal.

That's because Chivalry is better.

Picked up MP3, I really have to beat 2, I bought it day one, and then rebought the steam version and still have yet to beat it, or even get very far into it. :/

Also, is the first Transformers game not controller compatible? It doesn't say so on Steam, almost bought it but held off, no way I will play a game like that with M&KB.

Transformers has controller support. I don't remember if it had proper button prompts, but it's pretty easy to figure out.

MP2 is a pretty quick game. I think it took me around 6 hrs.

squidyj

That dark souls on amazon looks pretty decent. if I had the 5$ credit I'd go for it. I also feel like a fool for picking up BF3 Premium not long ago.

cicero

Is there anyway to skip the cutscenes in Max Payne 3? Was looking at GiantBomb's quicklook. It just looks painful to watch. Still got plenty of time to decide on MP3.

Actually, you have until they decide to push the price back to normal once the Steam sale ends. Or you have until they run out of keys, which probably is a good possibility given the apparent widespread interest in this deal.

Speevy

Banned
Look guys, I think you're missing my intention here.

This started with a discussion of whether Max Payne or Max Payne 2 has a good story.

I contend that Max Payne, like any game with attention to detail and atmosphere, tells its story through the gameplay. The rest of it does not matter to me.

Do I think making game stories is a worthwhile pursuit? Sure. Does it happen 99.99999% of the time? No.

But again, I didn't start this. My comment was merely a response to the idea that Max Payne 2 or its predecessor has a bad story.

If Max Payne's story is bad, as one side contends, then I don't see it being any worse than the typical video game standard for stories.

If Max Payne's story is good, it has very little company.

I said "Game stories are crap."

Perhaps a lazy generalization on my part, but does the medium really have the ammunition to strike that claim down?

What if every game story is good when a developer simply tries? That would, on its face, make any discussion as to the merit of one good game story versus another pointless.

It sounds like people want to call up another discussion without any consideration to the context of my original comment.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Assuming Dead Space franchise even goes on sale. :(

It has to, right? DS2 is one of the games I've been holding out for, and I'm sure it's been on sale (either on it's own or with DS1) in the past.

gilljoy

So its my birthday today Gaf,

I got some money and I'm thinking of picking up some stuff on steam.

Torchlight 2 worth a purchase at £7.50?

And would darksiders 2 be worth picking up if it goes on sale?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Worth it, loved that game.

Do you have an ATI card though? That game had major problems with ATI cards last time I checked. It never worked right when I had my HD 5870, but ran well I switched to a GTX 670

Worked great on my 69502GB recently. No issues at all and smooth as butter maxed.

Transformers has controller support. I don't remember if it had proper button prompts, but it's pretty easy to figure out.

MP2 is a pretty quick game. I think it took me around 6 hrs.

Nice. Is it worth 5 bucks?

Good to know, I hear the ending is pretty amazing, looking forward to beating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom