• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah I could have gifted you AW Memes, unfotunately I gave it to a buddy a day ago. :(

And would darksiders 2 be worth picking up if it goes on sale?

If it doesn't just buy the THQ bundle its the better deal. Or alternatively wait, because they might put the Darksiders II bundle back up.

Trust me on this... :(

Nabs

Worked great on my 69502GB recently. No issues at all and smooth as butter maxed.

Nice. Is it worth 5 bucks?

Good to know, I hear the ending is pretty amazing, looking forward to beating it.

I really liked it. I played online co-op (up to 3 players) and had a lot of fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
Look guys, I think you're missing my intention here.

This started with a discussion of whether Max Payne or Max Payne 2 has a good story.

I contend that Max Payne, like any game with attention to detail and atmosphere, tells its story through the gameplay. The rest of it does not matter to me.

Do I think making game stories is a worthwhile pursuit? Sure. Does it happen 99.99999% of the time? No.

But again, I didn't start this. My comment was merely a response to the idea that Max Payne 2 or its predecessor has a bad story.

If Max Payne's story is bad, as one side contends, then I don't see it being any worse than the typical video game standard for stories.

If Max Payne's story is good, it has very little company.

I said "Game stories are crap."

Perhaps a lazy generalization on my part, but does the medium really have the ammunition to strike that claim down?

What if every game story is good when a developer simply tries? That would, on its face, make any discussion as to the merit of one good game story versus another pointless.

It sounds like people want to call up another discussion without any consideration to the context of my original comment.
Your original comment contains no such thing as context or explanation. It's literally "all games stories are crap". You might want to expand on the things you're declaring next time you throw away stuff like that, specially if you're gonna be as reductive as you were.

As for gameplay narrative versus traditional narrative, that's your choice, I enjoy it best when games do both well, and while the games that do are far in between, it's not just a matter of willpower, but of expertly execution that happens rarely in pretty much all media, albeit even rarer in videogames.

I'll trade you Alan Wake franchise for Dead Space franchise.... Assuming Dead Space franchise even goes on sale. :(

I was just joking about having someone gift me a game. I'm set on great games this holiday season.

But if dead space goes on sale on the us store at a price you can afford just let me know if you need help.

Instro

This may be some sort of new year melancholy, but I don't think I'll need to buy any games in 2013.

iVcJ2mswqP4u8.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up qube and to the moon.
Bummed I missed mirrors edge, I want to replay that.

cicero

This may be some sort of new year melancholy, but I don't think I'll need to buy any games in 2013.

Scrolling (and scrolling) through my Steam library has reminded me of just how many great must-play games I've accumulated through the past year or two of sales - I should really stop coveting and just play what I have.

Must stay away from this thread - I love you all dearly, SteamGAF, but in the words of Sir Mix-a-Lot: baby got back(log).

Missed Witcher 2 the other day though, stupidly (it'll return, right?). I should probably try FTL, too, and if a good price pops up again for Sleeping Dogs, that would be tempting as well...

Who are you kidding? You are going nowhere but here...

Wolfie5

I would think twice before buying Deadlight. Played and finished it a few days ago.

Positive:
Looks good
Took 3-4 hours to finish it. Glad it didn't take longer finish.

Negative:
It simply was not fun. Have a hard time seeing anyone replaying this somewhat frustrating game.

I really like zombie games, which is why I had some expectations, as it looked really good and it had 2D gameplay. Some might think it was allright, but I don't think many will praise this, in my opinion, boring game.

Do not recommend buying this crappy game.

Torchlight 1 for me was just boring .... so .... how is the sequel ? Is torchlight 2 significantly better and more fun to play ?

I am kinda in the mood for a game diablo-style, but it must be fun.......

squidyj

So I can just like beg for Dark Souls?

Either gifting or whatever or if someone wants to help me out with their amazon credit that would be super.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, my favorite has always been the first, so I'm not gonna bother much with the second.

I do strongly disagree with:
a) MP1&2 writing being appaling: it's not, it had style and flair and it was goofy, but in a way that was immensely enjoyable and gripping. It wasn't Tolstoi but it worked really, really well.
b) Dan Houser is an improvement: no, in no fucking way, and I'm actually surprised you're citing the first two as student film wannabes, when the first two actually embraced the gaming medium with little to none cutscenes, and using a comic book aesthetic that was very unique and was very forward-thinking compared to what games used to be, had a literary quality that few games would ever reach, even if, again, it wasn't Tolstoi, it worked great. And then you had in-gameplay dream sequences, TV shows, enemy dialogue and other very videogame details that made it a very gamey experience.

Now compare that to Max Payne 3, which feels like it needs a cutscene to show that Max opened a door or flipped a switch or sees an enemy.

Max Payne 3 is the real student film wannabe, and it's a shitty movie with social commentary that goes nowhere because not even the Housers know what the hell they were meaning to say, and that destroys a beloved character by turning him into an emo guy depressed about the thing that cost him two games to get over. R* had a clean slate to start with, Max was over his family's death and ready to break new frontiers, and R* just decided he should become a drunk and have a depressive relapse because, hey, that Man on Fire movie was really cool!

MP1/2 needed a professional editor/writer to forcibly edit the script after Sam Lake submitted it to the rest of the developers. As it is, it reads like Lake didn't have a grasp on what constitutes a good script, so he overloaded it with melodrama and a overbearing amount of abstract analogies for simple descriptions/ideas in lieu of good pacing. It is a prime example of student film quality work.

The blood dream with the crying baby was both terrible game design and suffered from the same issues with pacing/brevity that plagues the entire game. The concept was interesting but the execution was poorly thought out and the gameplay mechanics were extended way too far.

In terms of using cutscenes instead of gameplay, MP3 actually follows the format of MP1/2 pretty closely. Houser is more direct with his language, and while it won't win any awards, it effectively moved the story along without the pretentious padding of Lake. Lake watched the noir films and tried to replicate the settings with the subtlety of a hammer and the deftness of someone learning on the job. Houser captured the essence of Man on Fire (brevity of dialogue outside mission information and base story elements) while still retaining the narrative style of the previous games.

The TV shows were comic relief so they really don't count toward or against the game.

Doesn't seem the same to me, the girl on the cover gets held hostage in a bunch of pictures, but that's not the actual girl that's taken hostage in the game.

Random hot girl on a cover on a GTA game makes sense in the way that you know you will not play as her or any story will be about her.

With few exceptions everyone on a GTA cover is usually a character in the game. The other girls are eye candy to catch the attention of casual fans/gamers.

Who actually -- honestly -- wants to play Frozen Synapse? As in, you've tried the demo and you're like damn I want this game? I tried to see if someone wanted to trade anything for it a few times now but there seems to be no interest so I'm just going to hand it out because fuck it

Koroviev

Who actually -- honestly -- wants to play Frozen Synapse? As in, you've tried the demo and you're like damn I want this game? I tried to see if someone wanted to trade anything for it a few times now but there seems to be no interest so I'm just going to hand it out because fuck it

It was featured in a Humble Bundle for as little as a dollar and it comes with a second key if you buy it through Steam. Or it did, not sure if it still does...

But anyway, I think most people already have it is the problem.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeah but surely there's someone... if not I'll just gift it to someone on my friend list but I'll give it a little while first.

I'm interested. Never played the demo, only seen the video. The concept looks great. But I will only take it if you don't find someone that really wants it.

Lingitiz

Look guys, I think you're missing my intention here.

This started with a discussion of whether Max Payne or Max Payne 2 has a good story.

I contend that Max Payne, like any game with attention to detail and atmosphere, tells its story through the gameplay. The rest of it does not matter to me.

Do I think making game stories is a worthwhile pursuit? Sure. Does it happen 99.99999% of the time? No.

But again, I didn't start this. My comment was merely a response to the idea that Max Payne 2 or its predecessor has a bad story.

If Max Payne's story is bad, as one side contends, then I don't see it being any worse than the typical video game standard for stories.

If Max Payne's story is good, it has very little company.

I said "Game stories are crap."

Perhaps a lazy generalization on my part, but does the medium really have the ammunition to strike that claim down?

What if every game story is good when a developer simply tries? That would, on its face, make any discussion as to the merit of one good game story versus another pointless.

It sounds like people want to call up another discussion without any consideration to the context of my original comment.

I think it's just insanely reductive to call all game stories crap, and then to say that writing between games is not a worthwhile comparison. Both of your comments are broad generalizations that don't even really address the original context. It's easy to go out and say that 99% of game stories are shit, but is the split really that bad? I don't think so.

And no, not every game is good when it attempts story. That's another flawed generalization, since there are definitely examples of poor writing in games (ex. Heavy Rain) that aren't simply par for the course in the medium, but downright terrible in many facets. The same goes for the Mass Effect 3 ending. Point being, just because a story is bad doesn't make it not worth discussion. These games that heavily rely on story deserve to be critiqued because it's a large part of the overall product. This is getting a little off track so I'll refrain from saying anymore.

Is Towns any good? I was thinking about picking up a city builder before Simcity.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So I think the damage is done for this year. Here is the damage:

0bce15841353c6e9fe7cacc4c9d7d568b965171e.jpg

About every DLC for Sleeping Dogs outside of the free ones and the Nightmare one are basically skins or pointless weapons that unbalance the game. Other than that really good haul!

Wow... works on Steam?

It's usually found on steam for $10.00 every few months. Also, I'm pretty sure that the codes are only for Origin not steam.

Hidden Deals
Since the other thread is now locked and I haven't saved the code I can't add anything to that list. But I think it is pretty much complete by now.
So check it.
You may find a good deal.

Thanks!, but no Revelations 2012? It's everybody's most anticipated game, just like Bad Rats!

Shepard

Guys, I have a quesiton regarding Amazon: I tried to order Dark Souls but for the second time this year my credit card blocked the transaction. First time it happened it took ~1 week for them to sort it out. My Amazon order is "still pending", my question is: If I'm only able to fix this by later this week, will the product price be the same by then? Or it will be readjusted, as the product will only be 17,99 till Jan 5th?

Is Towns any good? I was thinking about picking up a city builder before Simcity.

I can't speak for the games quality as I haven't played it, but there's been a lot of anger directed at both Valve and the developer [and rightly so] for not stating the game is currently incomplete [in beta - a fact subtly hidden by the phrasing on the store page].

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I would think twice before buying Deadlight. Played and finished it a few days ago.

Positive:
Looks good
Took 3-4 hours to finish it. Glad it didn't take longer finish.

Negative:
It simply was not fun. Have a hard time seeing anyone replaying this somewhat frustrating game.

I really like zombie games, which is why I had some expectations, as it looked really good and it had 2D gameplay. Some might think it was allright, but I don't think many will praise this, in my opinion, boring game.

Do not recommend buying this crappy game.
From your opinion, looks like a $2.50 kind of game. If I'm too impatient I may pick it up when it reaches $5, but doesn't seem like it's worth its current sale price.

So I think the damage is done for this year. Here is the damage:

0bce15841353c6e9fe7cacc4c9d7d568b965171e.jpg
Sonic AdventureS? Seriously Valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom