• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
games impression add:

BINDING OF ISSAC

weird, endless dungeon crawler with random combat (its sort of arcadey) and I can't get to the end level boss yet. Its kind of random in terms of items and power up and I had to google joy to key to make it work with the joypad.

fun though.

was going to buy rage off sarcasm's post - then I realised I bought it:

probably going to add:

torchlight2
and
maxpayne3 for $10 from amazon.

zkylon

zkylewd
Rage is kinda cool, but I'd rather it were a straight up shooter. Maybe something like Crysis, expansive environments but in a linear sequence and just a lot of room to playing around with the game's mechanics.

MP1/2 needed a professional editor/writer to forcibly edit the script after Sam Lake submitted it to the rest of the developers. As it is, it reads like Lake didn't have a grasp on what constitutes a good script, so he overloaded it with melodrama and a overbearing amount of abstract analogies for simple descriptions/ideas in lieu of good pacing. It is a prime example of student film quality work.

The blood dream with the crying baby was both terrible game design and suffered from the same issues with pacing/brevity that plagues the entire game. The concept was interesting but the execution was poorly thought out and the gameplay mechanics were extended way too far.

In terms of using cutscenes instead of gameplay, MP3 actually follows the format of MP1/2 pretty closely. Houser is more direct with his language, and while it won't win any awards, it effectively moved the story along without the pretentious padding of Lake. Lake watched the noir films and tried to replicate the settings with the subtlety of a hammer and the deftness of someone learning on the job. Houser captured the essence of Man on Fire (brevity of dialogue outside mission information and base story elements) while still retaining the narrative style of the previous games.

The TV shows were comic relief so they really don't count toward or against the game.
I really am having trouble accepting how opposite your opinion can be of mine, but I guess that's life.

Sure, MP1/2 had its share of being pretentious and overwrought, but the games were quirky and had mystery and suspense, and took inspirations from all over the place, from John Woo films to The Matrix to Film Noir, David Lynch, classic gaming tropes, nordic mythology and packaged them into something very cohesive with itself. It wasn't afraid to be weird or funny and the story actually moved his character forward and tried new stuff. How often do we get love stories in videogames?

It's flawed but it had ambition and heart in spades, two things I think Max Payne 3 severly lacks, and it shows compared to the first two.

Max Payne 3 is what? A side story at best? In Man on Fire Creasy actually grew as a character, based on a child that made him see the good in life and gave him the way to redeem himself from his past. In Max Payne 3 Max re-recovers from a depression that was resolved at the end of MP2, and gets over a sudden alcoholism just because he has to save a bunch of horrible Dan Houser people no one can possibly like, just because it's his job.

And seriously, Badgad with G-Strings is the worst line I've ever heard in gaming history.

Fewr

1. When do these deals end?
2. Has The Secret World been on a Flash/Daily/Vote sale yet? If not, how likely is it that it'll appear as one?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So does Crysis 2 run well on PC? I've got a Core 2 Duo with Radeon 5770.

Depends on how you define "well". Your CPU is going to hurt performance more than your GPU, but as long as you're not expecting 60fps, you should find the game's performance to be acceptable.

Groggy

Neo Member
Is it true a quad core drastically increases performance in Crysis 2? I thought games weren't really optimized for them yet. My PC does run Warhead decently though, and its got an SSD.

1. When do these deals end?
2. Has The Secret World been on a Flash/Daily/Vote sale yet? If not, how likely is it that it'll appear as one?

If you have the steam client its on the front store page. As for your second question I'm not sure.

ZySuG.jpg

Fewr

If you have the steam client its on the front store page. As for your second question I'm not sure.

Ah ok, thanks for the responses.

For a second I thought we'd still have more deals for a few more days. Time to buy Ticket to Ride and the Comedy Club game then.

No, and it's looking unlikely considering the game didn't appear in time for this promotion

True. Still, I had hope it would reach USD$15 to get more people playing, and gain a bit of momentum.

squidyj

Hmmm... I'm really turned off by their terrible awful no good pc porting but I do want to play Dark Souls.... decisions.

Koroviev

Yes very much. Kept waiting for a little red dragon or something.

I need to give it more time, but the art style and that lady's voice are distracting. I feel that the game would have been better served by some over-the-top Asian movie sensibilities.

squidyj

It takes 30 seconds to fix almost everything.

mouse and keyboard controls? it's also the principle. rewarding a good for nothing no work port with money seems like a bad idea.

It's available from Amazon for $13 provided you purchased a DD game during December.

I did not which means it would be 18, if I had the 5 credit I would have already bought the game.

CatPee

mouse and keyboard controls? it's also the principle. rewarding a good for nothing no work port with money seems like a bad idea.

I did not which means it would be 18, if I had the 5 credit I would have already bought the game.

You're rewarding them much less by buying it for cheap at Amazon. :D

chixdiggit

Yeah, but you could easily play two dozen games from your backlog with the time Civ 5 will consume.

Pretty much this. I already sunk way too much time into Civ 5. Gods and Kings is really great but I should have held off on buying it until i played through some of the other stuff I bought.

Koroviev

Pretty much this. I already sunk way too much time into Civ 5. Gods and Kings is really great but I should have held off on buying it until i played through some of the other stuff I bought.

If you're enjoying Gods and Kings, then just roll with it. Your backlog is a library, not an obligation. Even if you don't get around to playing all or even most of your games, at the very least you've supported the types of games that you like and so will continue to see them in the future.

I need to give it more time, but the art style and that lady's voice are distracting. I feel that the game would have been better served by some over-the-top Asian movie sensibilities.

I agree and it has made me skip any of the "story" type parts. Which hasn't really helped me enjoy it too much (just not getting sucked in yet)

If you're enjoying Gods and Kings, then just roll with it. Your backlog is a library, not an obligation. Even if you don't get around to playing all or even most of your games, at the very least you've supported the types of games that you like and so will continue to see them in the future.
It actually feels more like a burden to me

Hmmm... I'm really turned off by their terrible awful no good pc porting but I do want to play Dark Souls.... decisions.

Didn't the PC version do well enough that From/Namco's actually putting good effort to the sequel?

I'd rather have a PC version than no version at all. DSfix fixes everything but the sloppy multiplayer that's present in every version.

Grief.exe

Both of the major issues were actually fixed by modders either right after release or shortly before. The game does look amazing with downsampling, SSAO, and SSMA after the Durante fix. And from what I hear the mouse patch is great, though I use a controller which works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom