• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

It actually feels more like a burden to me

Selling games is faster and easier than playing them.

I mean, if that's really how you feel ;)

I can relate when it comes to $40-60 console releases, but my solution has been to simply buy less. I don't care if I have 100+ Steam games. A lot of it is indie/bundle stuff anyway.

Grief.exe

GAF is amazing.

So this Christmas season I made two posts asking if people would like to sell their games to me.

In the first one, I asked if someone would like to sell me their Legend of Grimrock key from the bundle.

In the second one, I asked if someone had an extra Amazon $5 coupon so I could get Hotline Miami for $2.50.

In both these cases I got hooked up with the game for free by some amazing Gaffers. I'm a poor college student and a little bit of extra money goes a long way! Thanks guys

HoosTrax got me Legend of Grimrock.

image.php

Dreamfall got me Hotline Miami!

image.php

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the generosity! I will enjoy both games and I will pay it forward down the road!

Derrick01

Banned
About to pull the trigger on Dead Island.

Is the game any fun?

Nope. It's a wannabe RPG with mediocre melee combat and it goes on about 15 hours longer than it should have. It has nothing but fetch quests and poorly thought out RPG-lite elements like just about every game that tacks XP and skill trees on anymore.

MRORANGE

Nope. It's a wannabe RPG with mediocre melee combat and it goes on about 15 hours longer than it should have. It has nothing but fetch quests and poorly thought out RPG-lite elements like just about every game that tacks XP and skill trees on anymore.

I think it's important to mention if you've played by yourself or not.

IN most cases Dead Island is a lot of fun with friends.

Derrick01

Banned
I think it's important to mention if you've played by yourself or not.

IN most cases Dead Island is a lot of fun with friends.

I don't understand why. Having another person there doesn't make any of those problems disappear other than possibly making the game a little quicker.

MRORANGE

I don't understand why. Having another person there doesn't make any of those problems disappear other than possibly making the game a little quicker.

The game had co-op in mind, you would not play L4D, Magicka, Borderlands...etc* by yourself, I could argue the same points you are making for any other co-op game if I was playing by myself.

elfinke

I played Dead Island entirely in single payer first time through and enjoyed it a lot, well worth the couple bucks I bought it for. MP just adds a stack of terrific chaos (ie the Giantbomb TNT). A neat game. The only part of Derrick's comment that rang true with my experience is that it does overstay its welcome a little.

zkylon

zkylewd
Unless you play it with friends, in which case it turns a contest of "who can kick that beheaded zombie corpse the most!".

Really only buy it if you're gonna play it with friends.

Nabs

Eh I'll see if I have time to make a list, I know Toma and Mavromatis has a good list of must buy games for this sale already.

If anyone wants to recommend game under the $2/$5/$10 range category drop their thoughts here or send a pm.

My amazing sub-$1.99 list: Toki Tori, Cthulhu Saves The World/BoD Pack, Sequence, Chime, Critter Crunch.

If you have a group of friends willing to try shit, games like Iron Grip: Warlord and Madballs are surprisingly fun. I don't recommend them to everyone, but they are a blast with the right crowd.

Audiosurf ($2.49) is still one of the best games on Steam. Everyone who is into music should give it a shot.

That's my list.

Row

Banned
My amazing sub-$1.99 list: Toki Tori, Cthulhu Saves The World/BoD Pack, Sequence, Chime, Critter Crunch.

If you have a group of friends willing to try shit, games like Iron Grip: Warlord and Madballs are surprisingly fun. I don't recommend them to everyone, but they are a blast with the right crowd.

Audiosurf ($2.49) is still one of the best games on Steam. Everyone who is into music should give it a shot.

That's my list.

I second critter crunch, beautiful artstyle and fun gameplay, it's a steal

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's youse guys' favorite Total War game that's not Shogun 2? Is there one to avoid? Never tried any of them.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm the worst kind of impulse buyer. I see what I want, wonder about it for days on end filling my mind with guilt for not being able to control myself, stay true and steady until there's like 5 minutes for the offer to end, pat myself in the back, then two minutes later randomly buy it and the next day it goes cheaper on sale.

Remove zombie from that statement and you just described Chivalry
So unfortunate, then, that I have no friends :(((

That might be true, but just like Deus Ex HR that doesn't mean you can't have a few hours of fun out of it. Full price? No. But good cheap fun.

What's youse guy's favorite Total War game that's not Shogun 2? Is there one to avoid? Never tried any of them.

I still like Medieval 2 because of the setting. In my opinion they are all good, but not that different. One is enough.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I had forgotten how awful the combat sections were in PoP: Sands of Time. A lot of enemies, surrounding you and piling on you, hitting you from all sides, not giving you time to get up, and sometimes even killing Farah, which you have to defend from time to time.

It's still one hell of a game, but I don't recall the combat being this terrible. Oh well, nostalgia's partially ruined.

Koroviev

Eh I'll see if I have time to make a list, I know Toma and Mavromatis has a good list of must buy games for this sale already.

If anyone wants to recommend game under the $2/$5/$10 range category drop their thoughts here or send a pm.

Does it have to be purchasable through Steam? Because I think Spec Ops is 100% worth $10, but it's only available for that price through Amazon in a bundle with the BioShock games. And it does register on Steam.

statham

I can't remember from last year or summer, does the sale usually end with a boom or just the regular same deals?

j-wood

How many times has Borderlands 2 been discounted now? I think I remember quite a few. Sigh.

community keeps voting for it. I really think there are a lot more people that use steam occasionally that don't know the sale system, therefore don't know bl2 has been on sale already

Exuro

Does it have to be purchasable through Steam? Because I think Spec Ops is 100% worth $10, but it's only available for that price through Amazon in a bundle with the BioShock games. And it does register on Steam.
Thanks for letting me know. $5 for Spec Ops sounds good to me.

lexi

Banned
community keeps voting for it. I really think there are a lot more people that use steam occasionally that don't know the sale system, therefore don't know bl2 has been on sale already

I think people just vote for games they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom