• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I've got an integrated HD Graphics 4000 with 6 GB of ram between video and system. You guys think that will be enough to run Deus Ex Human Revolution reasonably well?

lolmoose

Neo Member
What's youse guys' favorite Total War game that's not Shogun 2? Is there one to avoid? Never tried any of them.

You really cant go wrong with either Rome or medieval total war 2. I personally loved both of them, just depends on which setting you prefer.

If you're into muskets, naval warfare,line infantry and whatnot then empire total war is pretty epic.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wonder if there are new games coming on up Amazon's 2012 Editor's Choice, because nothing in there calls to me, and I have two 5 buck codes to use.

I mean, Kingdom's of Amalur and DLC for 10 buck doesn't sound that bad, but they're not steam-registrable keys... :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've got an integrated HD Graphics 4000 with 6 GB of ram between video and system. You guys think that will be enough to run Deus Ex Human Revolution reasonably well?

Depends on the particular model of the GPU. If it's anything less than a Mobility 4870, I wouldn't bother.

Edit: Oh, that's righit, HD Graphics 4000 is Intel. Yeah... nah.

Koroviev

Ooh, really? I bought the bundle kinda blindly the other day and haven't had the chance to play yet. My expectations have been raised a bit!

Keep in mind that it is a shooting gallery. A shooting gallery with encounter variety, an excellent licensed soundtrack, and nice visuals (because a desert setting doesn't mean everything needs to be brown). And if I go any further you won't be going in blind.

Eusis

Is it true a quad core drastically increases performance in Crysis 2? I thought games weren't really optimized for them yet. My PC does run Warhead decently though, and its got an SSD.
Possibly late, but that was only true back in, uhh, 2008 I think. GTAIV ran best with Core i7s, Dragon Age had a huge boost, Witcher 2 almost literally needs them, and I believe in general most games are just happier if you give them at least three cores now.

So, yeah, you may want to look into a Core i5 for your next upgrade.

Thanks for letting me know. $5 for Spec Ops sounds good to me.

I'll just say this.

Spec Ops is a "modern" shooter first and foremost. If you go into it expecting anything different you will not have a good time and will just be pushing through to the end. Even then it is "short" but not "short enough" to be played in that way.

If you actually like shooters and want something a bit special on top, it'll probably be worth the time.

Toki767

I'll just say this.

Spec Ops is a "modern" shooter first and foremost. If you go into it expecting anything different you will not have a good time and will just be pushing through to the end. Even then it is "short" but not "short enough" to be played in that way.

If you actually like shooters and want something a bit special on top, it'll probably be worth the time.
It's basically all the shooting portions of Uncharted games with partner AI that will actually kill enemies.

statham

For comparison, I can run Witcher 2 at a playable FPS with everything on low.
one of my graphics card died, and just for fun I tried MW3 on high and was getting 5-10 fps @900p not playable but on low w/720p it could probably pulled off 30fps.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Dawn of War Franchise Pack for $9.99 is a steal if you don't own them. Big steal.

oipic

I wonder if there are new games coming on up Amazon's 2012 Editor's Choice, because nothing in there calls to me, and I have two 5 buck codes to use.

A month is a long time in the digital retail space, so I'd wager it's likely that some other things may pop up in the coming weeks with which these $5 discounts might apply - particularly given how willing Tony appears to be to price-match etc... but we'll see.

Jaxter09

I'll just say this.

If you actually like shooters and want something a bit special on top, it'll be worth the time.

It is a terrible shooting game, but still worth playing. I would recommend putting it on easy.

Dawn of War Franchise Pack for $9.99 is a steal if you don't own them. Big steal.
I'm trying to think of reasons not to buy 2 copies for me and a friend. Is it a good coop series?

JaseC

I disagree. There's at least 1-2 full servers with a few others partially filled every night here in Australia.

Just because it doesn't attract 60,000 users per day doesn't mean it's dead. I actually prefer it over Counter-strike too.

I said "All but dead", in reference to the fact it doesn't show up in the Top 100 (i.e. less than 1k players worldwide), not Top 10.

Koroviev

It's basically all the shooting portions of Uncharted games with partner AI that will actually kill enemies.

I gotta admit, the AI for Spec Ops is good. They actually do something! Its not your typical shooter.

The AI still has its moments, particularly Adams, who will waste a seemingly endless number of bullets *not hitting* an enemy and stand in front of cover instead of behind it, even if you haven't given him any directions to misinterpret.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
community keeps voting for it. I really think there are a lot more people that use steam occasionally that don't know the sale system, therefore don't know bl2 has been on sale already
Which of the three hadn't been on sale before? There are only two options: vote a repeat, or don't vote at all.

Koroviev

It is a terrible shooting game, but still worth playing. I would recommend putting it on easy.

I'm trying to think of reasons not to buy 2 copies for me and a friend. Is it a good coop series?

How is it terrible? Adams' finer moments aside, it's a pretty standard affair. I had no outstanding issues playing through it on normal, some fiddly encounters with the cover mechanics notwithstanding.

JaseC

Wow,and it's only online right? No campaign?

Yeah, MP-only. You may be able to use the Steam server browser to check server popularity in your region (although I'd presume you need the game added to your account for it to show up in the list).

Edit: Failing that, you can use one of these.

How is Day of Defeat source?

Here's a screenshot of the server list in Steam right this very minute. Plenty of players. While it doesn't have as many daily users as other games, I've found the community to be very consistent and the population never really changes.

Edit - screenshot removed due to player numbers being skewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom