• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Quick question from someone who is inexperienced with the Mass Effect franchise. I love science fiction based games. The world of Mass Effect is endlessly appealing from that perspective. I've heard quite a few misgivings regarding Mass Effect 3 but it hasn't killed the appeal of the series and I still want to experience the franchise as a whole. Mass Effect through Mass Effect 3.

If I purchase the franchise pack currently on sale through Steam, as well as the Origin version of Mass Effect 3, will it be difficult to continue save progression from Mass Effect 2 to 3? I guess I'm just asking from a technical point of view, will I encounter difficulty, whether that's in the form of glitches, bugs or save errors, from playing on two different digital services?
The saves are local, not cloud, so the only problem you'll have is your choices not mattering in the third game.

Not entirely sure, but I think that if you buy the games on Steam you can register them on Origin, but ask someone to confirm that.

Thanks. It doesn't bother me to have them registered on separate services. I just want to know if there are known issues transferring saves/progression from Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3, given the two different services.

The saves are local, not cloud, so the only problem you'll have is your choices not mattering in the third game.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Does that mean that I can't actually carry my save file into Mass Effect 3 (Origin) if I purchase the first two games on Steam?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Quick question from someone who is inexperienced with the Mass Effect franchise. I love science fiction based games. The world of Mass Effect is endlessly appealing from that perspective. I've heard quite a few misgivings regarding Mass Effect 3 but it hasn't killed the appeal of the series and I still want to experience the franchise as a whole. Mass Effect through Mass Effect 3.

If I purchase the franchise pack currently on sale through Steam, as well as the Origin version of Mass Effect 3, will it be difficult to continue save progression from Mass Effect 2 to 3? I guess I'm just asking from a technical point of view, will I encounter difficulty, whether that's in the form of glitches, bugs or save errors, from playing on two different digital services?

I don't think you'll have any problem transferring the savegames. I've played ME1 and ME2 and they are both very good games. Can't speak for ME3 though.

Kritz

Banned

Anecdotally, it works fine. The saves get put into your Documents folder and regardless of the DRM you launch the game through the game still looks in that same place for the saves.

I went from retail -> steam -> origin through playing the trilogy and didn't encounter a single problem.

No. Whether using Origin or Steam, the games save in the same location (Documents/Bioware/Mass Effect/Saves IIRC) so all ME3 does is look for a save in that location. Origin & Steam make absolutely no difference to the save.

*Edit - Ninja'd.

Row

Banned
unless there's an incredible deal coming up I thinks I'm done, got a ton of great stuff for barely more than what a new game at retail would cost me

Durante

Huh, i'm on Win8 and it seems to work fine? With DSfix.
It's not that it doesn't work for everyone (or even the majority of people), it's that Windows 8 seems overrepresented as the OS in problem reports (particularly regarding startup crashes, which mostly seem to happen due to a GFWL version incompatibility issue).

Have you received a paycheck from From already? I believe a great amount of the sales of the PC port were because of you.
I got a lot of donations actually. Though mostly when the game was initially released, I guess people buying it during sales don't have that much money to spare ;)

I don't think Namco or From ever made any statement about the mod in any official (or unofficial) capacity. I can understand why they didn't though.

Thanks. It doesn't bother me to have them registered on separate services. I just want to know if there are known issues transferring saves/progression from Mass Effect 2 to Mass Effect 3, given the two different services.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Does that mean that I can't actually carry my save file into Mass Effect 3 (Origin) if I purchase the first two games on Steam?

Well, I was not sure whether you started yet, so I thought you could just start the series on Origin. But maybe I misunderstood.

It's not that it doesn't work for everyone (or even the majority of people), it's that Windows 8 seems overrepresented as the OS in problem reports (particularly regarding startup crashes, which mostly seem to happen due to a GFWL version incompatibility issue).

I got a lot of donations actually. Though mostly when the game was initially released, I guess people buying it during sales don't have that much money to spare ;)

I don't think Namco or From ever made any statement about the mod in any official (or unofficial) capacity. I can understand why they didn't though.

I doubt it has to do with money to spare. It is just that you had more exposure earlier on game websites and such. Now most people just go through Nexus and download it there, never seeing the site so unlikely to donate. Glad you got a lot of donations though.

derExperte

What he means is that the story in ME3 won't change much, so whatever supposedly meaningful choices you made during the first two games don't matter.

dreamfall

I played the Sniper Elite V2 demo- it was enjoyable. I can see it getting slightly repetitive, so I'll probably hold off. And just pass time with the ridiculous bullet camera from the demo, several times over.

Alright, here's hoping new Flash deals are something. Rounding up some GOG love before that sale ends.

hes saying that it'll work while jabbing the choices in ME3. should be fine :D

edit : b10

I played the Sniper Elite V2 demo- it was enjoyable. I can see it getting slightly repetitive, so I'll probably hold off. And just pass time with the ridiculous bullet camera from the demo, several times over.

I basically felt the same way about the game, still holding off since release, not buying until sub-$5.

Anecdotally, it works fine. The saves get put into your Documents folder and regardless of the DRM you launch the game through the game still looks in that same place for the saves.

I went from retail -> steam -> origin through playing the trilogy and didn't encounter a single problem.

Yep works fine. This isn't the walking dead or something.

Kong

Banned
unless there's an incredible deal coming up I thinks I'm done, got a ton of great stuff for barely more than what a new game at retail would cost me
Still hoping the new Sherlock Holmes game goes to at least half off. I need to get my point and click on.

Sniper Elite V2 is enjoyable if you like the 3PS action genre and/or enjoy WW2 era games. Worth the price if you can affirm to the former or the latter.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
May I hear some opinions about The Longest Journey franchise? They seem interesting enough, are they any good?

May I hear some opinions about The Longest Journey franchise? They seem interesting enough, are they any good?

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall differ in a variety of ways.

The Longest Journey is a classic PC adventure game. Fixed Camera angles and a strong focus on [some insane] puzzles. The series has acquired heavy praise for its narrative, and it's the first game that praise usually [and possibly unfairly as both games are stellar in this regard] focuses on.
Dreamfall was an attempt to alter the traditional adventure game formula [something we're seeing more of from titles like The Walking Dead...not that this is anything like that]. It's in full 3D, with a third person camera and a focus on action set-pieces alongside more simplistic puzzle solving. The action is...fairly terrible, with stealth sequences and terrible combat making appearances - the general consensus is that these segments mar an otherwise interesting experiment.

If you plan to buy [and I recommend if you are at all interesting in adventure games you do] note that the series was planned as a trilogy and these are the first two games. Dreamfall ends on a cliffhanger that fans still haven't had answered [although if I recall a new game is in development].

epmode

Dreamfall is so, so good. It's more visual novel than real adventure game though!

Speaking of which, I may have to get that Blackwell Bundle before this sale is over!

I really like the Blackwell series too. They start off pretty good and turn into some of my favorite adventure games since Lucasarts.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The Longest Journey and Dreamfall differ in a variety of ways.

The Longest Journey is a classic PC adventure game. Fixed Camera angles, a strong focus on [some insane] puzzles. The series has acquired heavy praise for its narrative, and it's the first game that praise usually [and possibly unfairly] focuses on.
Dreamfall was an attempt to alter the traditional adventure game formula [something we're seeing more of from titles like The Walking Dead...not that this is anything like that]. It's in full 3D, with a third person camera and a focus on action set-pieces alongside more simplistic puzzle solving. The action is...fairly terrible, with stealth sequences and terrible combat making appearances - the general consensus is that these segments mar an otherwise interesting experiment.

If you plan to buy [and I recommend if you are at all interesting in adventure games you do] note that the series was planned as a trilogy and these are the first two games. Dreamfall ends on a cliffhanger that fans still haven't had answered [although if I recall a new game is in development].
That part about the complicated puzzles in the first game scares me. I've heard about a specific puzzle involving a duck, that it's pretty much impossible to solve. I'm usually bad at point & click adventure games, will I have too much trouble with it? I don't want to be looking at a guide every 5 minutes xD

But from what you say they sound like good enough games. I'm still not sure if they're for me, though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, out on a whim, I just bought the Dreamfall bundle and The Darkness II from Amazon.

This sale is going to be an expensive one! 99 usds down the hole so far.

epmode

That part about the complicated puzzles in the first game scares me. I've heard about a specific puzzle involving a duck, that it's pretty much impossible to solve. I'm usually bad at point & click adventure games, will I have too much trouble with it?

Yes. Some of the puzzles in The Longest Journey are out of control. Even for people who like that stuff. I still think the game is worth playing with a guide so long as you're not using it for every puzzle.

Dreamfall goes in the other direction. Except for one poorly-telegraphed puzzle, it practically plays itself.

The real reason to play these games is the world-building and story. ..even though The Longest Journey is really heavy-handed with the infodumping.

Do I sound down on TLJ? I like it for sure but I think I appreciate it for being so massive in scope rather than the traditional adventure game stuff.

Do I sound down on TLJ? I like it for sure but I think I appreciate it more for being so massive in scope.

I agree with the sentiment. As games they are frustrating and badly designed, despite being almost polar opposites of one another. They also offer one of the most intriguing narratives in gaming, and there are some moments of brilliance that take full advantage of the medium. [John Walker of RPS fame has written a couple of times about a specific scene in Dreamfall that affected him.]

SparkTR

TLG is one of my favourite games, they created a fantastic world with great characters. It's a ridiculously long adventure game (took me around 22 hours to finish) but it flows so well you'll enjoy your time with it. The puzzles aren't THAT hard, I consider myself bad at adventure games and I found this one pretty straightforward apart from a few sections, there's never an abundance of scenes around so the item you need is always easy to find. Overall it's one of gaming's best experiences in my opinion.

I really disliked Dreamfall. It felt 'fake', like a poor imitation of the world they created in TLG. That coupled with the awful action and stealth sections made me never want to play it again and at times forget I even played it in the first place. It left a bad taste in my mouth with the franchise, and I'd be more content having just played the first.

epmode

I really disliked Dreamfall. It felt 'fake', like a poor imitation of the world they created in TLG. That coupled with the awful action and stealth sections made me never want to play it again and at times forget I even played it in the first place. It left a bad taste in my mouth with the franchise, and I'd be more content having just played the first.

See, that's what I always read about Dreamfall. So when I got a chance to play the Xbox version a few years ago, I was expecting something terrible. It's now one of my favorite adventure games ever, and it's all due to the story stuff.

I think I just love how Dreamfall is such a thoughtful continuation of the story from the first game. The world has changed in meaningful and believable ways. More importantly, characters have moved on with their lives and some of their personalities have changed accordingly. This sort of thing almost never happens in videogames.

Sure, the stealth and combat are crap. But it's easy crap, and it's over quickly. And there's still a ton of stuff to LOOK at (my favorite part of adventure games!), the new locations are great, the voice acting and dialogue are vastly improved and you don't have to waste your time with terrible adventure game logic.

And I think I <3 Zoe.

HoosTrax

Dark Fall lost Souls?
That would be something, if someone bought Dark Fall thinking they were getting a great deal on Dark Souls.

Btw, that made me curious and got me to go hunting for this mystery 30 min long video in the Dark Souls Steam folder. I did find the intro video, but that's only 3 min :\

TLG is one of my favourite games, they created a fantastic world with great characters. It's a ridiculously long adventure game (took me around 22 hours to finish) but it flows so well you'll enjoy your time with it. The puzzles aren't THAT hard, I consider myself bad at adventure games and I found this one pretty straightforward apart from a few sections, there's never an abundance of scenes around so the item you need is always easy to find. Overall it's one of gaming's best experiences in my opinion.

The Longest Gourney

Yanksfan

I really like the Blackwell series too. They start off pretty good and turn into some of my favorite adventure games since Lucasarts.

Damn, and here I have been sitting on them, waiting for a rainy day to finally dig in. Going to have to make sure I actually do so soon now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Some of the puzzles in The Longest Journey are out of control. Even for people who like that stuff. I still think the game is worth playing with a guide so long as you're not using it for every puzzle.

Dreamfall goes in the other direction. Except for one poorly-telegraphed puzzle, it practically plays itself.

The real reason to play these games is the world-building and story. ..even though The Longest Journey is really heavy-handed with the infodumping.

Do I sound down on TLJ? I like it for sure but I think I appreciate it for being so massive in scope rather than the traditional adventure game stuff.

I agree with the sentiment. As games they are frustrating and badly designed, despite being almost polar opposites of one another. They also offer one of the most intriguing narratives in gaming, and there are some moments of brilliance that take full advantage of the medium. [John Walker of RPS fame has written a couple of times about a specific scene in Dreamfall that affected him.]
I'm even more scared than before, lol. But fine, I'll accept the challenge and get them. If you think that what matters is the experience as a whole, I think I'll be able to accept that the gameplay and puzzles aren't that good, or easy.

I feel a little more relieved now. Stop playing with my emotions guys, please!

What bothers me a little, more than Dreamfall being different, is hearing that it ends on a cliffhanger. Hopefully it's true that they'll make a sequel, but at least I won't go in blind to that fact.

And bought. I hate how Steam makes it easy to spend all my money on games I don't know when if I'll play. You won this round, Garry!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I really want Back to the Future. Don't have the money at the moment. It is $5 right now. I have a few items I could trade for. PM if you are interested.

epmode

What bothers me a little, more than Dreamfall being different, is hearing that it ends on a cliffhanger. Hopefully it's true that they'll make a sequel, but at least I won't go in blind to that fact.

The sequel is in pre-production now. It'll probably be a Kickstarter project once they have something to show. I fear for my bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom