• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Thank you good sir!
Ma'am. I don't usually correct "dude", or "bro" for that matter (it's more awkward to be called "sis"), but I draw the line at sir :p.

---

HOMM VI looks identical to HOMM V...I wonder if the AI takes almost a minute for each faction to takes its turn like it did in V. M&M CoH is pretty fun (made by Capybara, of Critter Crunch fame), although it does get a little samey after a while. The soundtrack for CoH is a remix of the themes from HOMM V, so it's a nice nostalgia trip.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
glk.jpg

Never change Steam, never change.

Ma'am. I don't usually correct "dude", or "bro" for that matter (it's more awkward to be called "sis"), but I draw the line at sir :p.
nomaam2.jpg

And that reminds me that it's been a long time since I last watched that show.

I got critter crunch earlier in the sale and it seems ok, but COH really takes the concept and does something with it.

I'm not far in critter crunch, though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I really want Back to the Future. Don't have the money at the moment. It is $5 right now. I have a few items I could trade for. PM if you are interested.

Anyone? Throw in BioShock. Even though everyone pretty much has it.

Thank you Miss :p.

matmanx1

Finally got Torchlight II yesterday for 50% off and then went for Magika and Painkiller: Black Edition today which cost me a total of about $5 for both. Been a pretty good 24 hours for rounding out my Steam collection.

HoosTrax

Sell me on Clash of Heroes.

The last M&M game I enjoyed was Heroes III.
Clash of Heroes is nothing like HOMM. At it's core, it's a match-3 style puzzler game with some unique mechanics (it's substantial more complex than Bejeweled obviously).

It's set in the same universe as M&M, and chronologically, it's a prequel to HOMM V in terms of timeline. The characters you get are younger versions of the heroes from HOMM V.

Nope. Think more like Puzzle Quest.
HOMM is an SRPG. M&M CoH is like Puzzle Quest.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone use GameMaker Studio? Is it a competent platform for making games? Is it worth $16, or am I better off looking elsewhere?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
clash of heroes is awesome but I don't even know what might and magic is.

I've only played a couple hours of CoH, but my first impression is that I prefer Critter Crunch's scaled back approach. I don't really like the story stuff or having to navigate the map, I just want straight up puzzles. Plus I also strongly prefer CC's art. I need to spend more time with CoH, though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Is HoMM5 any good for someone who completely loved King's Bounty Armored Princess?

Exuro

Really tempted to get gamemaker. Seen my little brother mess around with it and it looks pretty nifty. $17 seems like a good deal as well.

Jedi2016

When does the sale actually end? Midnight on the 4th, or all the way through the 5th? I want to make sure not to miss the last-day pickups of stuff that doesn't hit the dailies.

Oh god DMC 3 has got to be the worst port i have ever seen. Man people really weren't kidding. It starts windowed and it looks washed out,low option and has screen tearing. What a shame.

HoosTrax

I would never say 5 or 6 suck, but none of them are great compared to II/III.
The one thing that really annoys me about the modern chapters of long-running strategy franchises, whether it be HOMM, XCOM, or CIV, is that they devote way too much time and effort to fancy effects and animations. Drives me crazy when turns take three times as long due to animations. Latest offender is XCOM, and the "encounter" cut scene that plays every single time you find a group of enemies.

Anyways, I thought 5 was fine for the most part, but it didn't seem well optimized at the time. (which is probably not an issue for modern machines). Sort of like Shogun 2 today. I'm not sure if 5 supports widescreen. The core game is fine, minus my pet peeves about modern strategy games in general.

I said it before and I'll say it again: There will be an influx of Fallout: New Vegas (And fallout 3 for that matter) GOTY keys for sale in mid-to-end of January, once the Bethesda Pack keys are given by GamersGate.

So unless you're really desperate to play it anytime soon, i'd wait until the end of the month

There's always the chance that they won't fulfill the sales, but I doubt that.
It's $7 on GMG today. Sale for $9.99 plus their 30% off coupon code.
(I picked it up on Nirolak's repeated recommendation for my style of game. =P)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Oh, and is it recommended to play Hotline Miami with a controller or keyboard/mouse?

Giran

Is HoMM5 any good for someone who completely loved King's Bounty Armored Princess?

Battles are basically the same but Heroes games include turn based logistics, resource gathering and town management as well. Much slower paced games, but if you loved KB it's a safe bet you'll like this too.

HoosTrax

Oh, and is it recommended to play Hotline Miami with a controller or keyboard/mouse?
kbm imho . I've never found twin stick style shooting to be as accurate, but ymmv.

Sure. It's a very similar style of game, athough it uses square grids instead of hex grid. And it takes itself more seriously than King's Bounty's tongue-in-cheek approach.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'll pass on GameMaker Studio. Tried some games in the Workshop and they're a stuttery mess. If I make a game I need an engine that will allow me to delivery a smooth game.

Anyone use GameMaker Studio? Is it a competent platform for making games? Is it worth $16, or am I better off looking elsewhere?

I'll defer to nicoga3000's recommendation in the indie game development thread. RangerX had good things to say too.

It's been used for a few well-known indie games (Hotline Miami, Cook Serve Delicious!, the original Spelunky) so it can be a plenty capable platform in the right hands. I think it gets a bit of a bad rap due to a lot of the games being made by absolute beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom