• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

My hotline is broken. Error and it gets past no sound. Tried the spooler, reinstalling, verifying and rebooting. No dice.

mrgone

I think we can add They Bleed Pixels to the list.

And Super Hexagon is a great game, though I can only play it in short bursts. Dat music.

They Bleed Pixels is pretty great! It's like N+ with knife violence and air combos. Great soundtrack, too. One of my favourite games of the sale.

It is unskippable, but only the first time. I guessed it was masking some installing/caching process.

Next flash sales? I predict:

Terranigma
Borderlands 2
Hotline miami

Instead it is:

Dead Island 66% $6.79
Overlord Complete Pack $4.99
AvSeq $1.24

hotline miami is currently an active flash sale:

dead island? really?
It was the community vote not too long ago.

also whether or not NVegas from GMG is GOTY, should stop you from jumping in (in the hope of wanting to score a great deal on steal - I don't think its going to happen). Even the vanilla FONV is hours and hours of play and $7? A steal. Well worth it.

Recall

These package prices make no sense, the 4 game heroes of might & magic deal costs a lot less if you buy them seperately :/

zkylon

zkylewd
Its this awesome puzzle-strategy-RPG thing. Its like a match-three puzzler turned into a full fledged strategy game and its really really good. Its also beautiful. A lot better, IMO, than Puzzle Quest, which I never got into.

I really highly recommend CoH
Thanks for your recommendation, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

One thing, I don't get what some of the unit stats mean. Like the hourglass I get means time to attack and the sword means damage, but no idea about the arm (defense? but don't they die in one hit if they're idling?) and the wall (more defense? lol).

That Tomb Raider collection is very nice, it's just a shame that every Tomb Raider game I've played hasn't been able to hold my interest for more than half an hour. I want to buy them because of the price but I probably wouldn't even play them.

Dr Dogg

Belated Happy New Year GAF! Seams I haven't missed much and now the only thing left I want in the sale is New Vegas which is now on sale over at GMG. What was the price it was during the previous sales if someone remembers please?

Lucifon

also whether or not NVegas from GMG is GOTY, should stop you from jumping in (in the hope of wanting to score a great deal on steal - I don't think its going to happen). Even the vanilla FONV is hours and hours of play and $7? A steal. Well worth it.

If you then buy all the dlc on steam at their current sale price it is cheaper than the ultimate edition, however it depends whether you want to hold out for a daily...

I find it odd how the Ultimate Edition has been on sale many times recently but not once so far in this holiday sale. Believe it went to £10 in the Autumn Sale?

I liked AoD a lot when I played it back then (not to completion, mind you), but the consensus is that it sucks. You know what I say? Fuck the consensus, it's a good game!

What about Chronicles? I'm watching some Youtubes of some of the installments I've never played, and it looks really cool and atmospheric.

Lucifon

Wait... Just realised on Steam if you buy NV + all the dlc it's £2 cheaper than to buy the Ultimate Edition at the moment. Whuhhhh

If you then buy all the dlc on steam at their current sale price it is cheaper than the ultimate edition, however it depends whether you want to hold out for a daily...

I find it odd how the Ultimate Edition has been on sale many times recently but not once so far in this holiday sale. Believe it went to £10 in the Autumn Sale?

I got it for £7.49 during the summer sale. I find it hard to recommend the vanilla version given how cheap the ultimate version may drop to at any time now.

Rainy Dog

Does anyone know why I can only install certain Steam games to my C:\ drive?

I have Steam itself installed in the usual C:\Program Files\ location, but I keep all games on a seperate, larger storage drive. I've set this up in Steam as a library folder and with most games the first pop up option is to choose where I want the game installing to.

But I've come across a couple of games where it doesn't give me this option and I seemingly have to download and install onto my C:\ drive.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

I have Steam itself installed in the usual C:\Program Files\ location, but I keep all games on a seperate, larger storage drive. I've set this up in Steam as a library folder and with most games the first pop up option is to choose where I want the game installing to.

But I've come across a couple of games where it doesn't give me this option and I seemingly have to download and install onto my C:\ drive.

I noticed this as well, and couldn't find a fix for it. Only thing I could recommend trying is running steam as an administrator, but I don't think that'll work if you're only getting the option of one drive already (that fixes an error for me where Steam offers both drives but won't allow installing to one).

derExperte

Not all games are already converted to the magical "new content system" (or what they officially call it) that is needed to choose the install location. Don't know if eventually everything will be ported over or if some games are incompatible for whatever reasons.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
They Bleed Pixels is pretty great! It's like N+ with knife violence and air combos. Great soundtrack, too. One of my favourite games of the sale.
I never played N+, but you're right about TBP being a great game. It's too hard for me though, I'd put it at the same level as Super Meat Boy: I can struggle past a level if I try hard and long enough, but I end up completely exhausted, and don't even tell me about getting all the bandages/best ranking/coins/scrolls or whatever to get the highest score.

One day I should try and beat all these games. Luckily I was able to finish Hotline Miami, without getting all the masks, weapons, A+
and secret ending
, of course!

These package prices make no sense, the 4 game heroes of might & magic deal costs a lot less if you buy them seperately :/
Welcome to the Winter Seal 2012! This isn't the first time something like that happens, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Try the GameMaker pack: they charge you $40 more for the complete pack than the DLC bundle, even though they have exactly the same content. The same happened with the Bit.Trip pack (the bundle was $5 more than getting the games individually), and Far Cry franchise (though I've heard it came with the Deluxe edition of FC3, which may justify the price discrepancy of 7 bucks).

wazoo

use steammover

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What about Chronicles? I'm watching some Youtubes of some of the installments I've never played, and it looks really cool and atmospheric.
Played it on PS1 back then, it was rather good too, but I had to resort to a guide often (I'm terrible at almost anything puzzle-related). I think I got to the final chapter, but found it incredibly hard and stopped playing. I don't think you could go wrong by getting it, but I have no idea if it has aged well. If you ask it nicely I may even fire up my PS1 tonight and let you know how it holds up :p

mrgone

I never played N+, but you're right about TBP being a great game. It's too hard for me though, I'd put it at the same level as Super Meat Boy: I can struggle past a level if I try hard and long enough, but I end up completely exhausted, and don't even tell me about getting all the bandages/best ranking/coins/scrolls or whatever to get the highest score.

One day I should try and beat all these games. Luckily I was able to finish Hotline Miami, without getting all the masks, weapons, A+
and secret ending
, of course!

I'm not too far in TBP yet, but it's already getting pretty relentless - it's definitely approaching Super Meat Boy levels, judging by the unfailing validity of pure statistical science (shouted curses per minute). :)

I really love how the Hotline Miami designers motivated the hunt for all the secrets by couching them in game-affecting things like the mask abilities and the end puzzle, though. One of the only games this year that I jumped right back into after completion as a result of those touches.

I know that feel! It's just sitting in my Library, taunting me. That 35-ish GB download will not be happening anytime soon for me :/

BUT~! These Flash deals strike with a new vengeance soon! And I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on CS:GO!

Edit: Why am I still awake?!

Why am I still awake?

Anyway, just spent the last four hours playing it. Worth every GB.

M.D

So did we get any good deals the last couple of days? I didn't really pay attention after getting XCOM and Civ 5

So did we get any good deals the last couple of days? I didn't really pay attention after getting XCOM and Civ 5

depends if you though the deals were good the first couple days

Seems to be a lot less variety and a lot more repeated deals that previous sales.

tmarques

Closest they've come is having BioWare points on sale on Origin for 66% off. I bought $60 worth for $20 at the time. Sad part is, I haven't played any BW games since -- I still need to finish ME 2 -- so I haven't redeemed them yet!

Wish I had looked into this before buying the PC version of ME3. I remember buying all of the ME2 DLC on the Xbox at a discount.

Tizoc

Anyone have any images of what Tomb Raider Legend looks like on PC with highest settings+mods? Tempted to get it @ $2.49.

Bought Might & Magic Clash of heroes after playing the demo. HOMM VI will have to wait for a better sale.

Clash of Heroes is my Civilization V, especially when I'm playing a new game and am working at leveling units up. It's so fun and addicting XD.

Speaking of which, if anyone is unable to get the game due to monetary issues or whatever, I've made a give-away-

Midou

I'm still holding out for The Secret World until the end, I really thought if Amazon could sell it for $15 (50% off), that somehow Steam would eventually do it too.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Oh yeah. People should buy Dark Messiah.

Try the demo and see if you don't enjoy kicking orcs a whole lot.

Tizoc: It ends on the fifth.

Volcynika

Oh yeah. People should buy Dark Messiah.

Try the demo and see if you don't enjoy kicking orcs a whole lot.

Tizoc: It ends on the fifth.

It's through the fifth at least so I'm pretty sure the last dailies will end on Monday (as they last two days), but the other games will go off sale on Sunday at 1PM EST or something. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom