• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happens ramdomly and changes if I reload the page:

xqekk.jpg
lIdPJ.jpg

US, it just flipped back to 50% again.

And I just bought it.

mxsR4.png

Maybe it's symbolic, like they're testing your twitch reflexes for the game, and if you don't react fast enough, you don't deserve the extra 25% off?

cicero

I got impatient and just bought Unity of Command and Silent Hunter IV yesterday. Which of course means that both will now be on some sort of deal. Though, the way things are going I'm fairly confident they won't be. SHIV is really freakin' cool. I might have to pick up the expansion before this sale is up.

Did you get that new Unity of Command DLC too?

Crub

Has anyone mentioned Hotline Miami and Darkness 2 for $2.5 and Dark Souls for $12.5 on Amazon? $5 is removed from the games on checkout.

I think too many people assume that everyone has the $5 promo credit on Amazon for some reason. Every time I see something like "hey guys Dark Souls is only $12 on Amazon" I get excited but then I'm like oh they must mean with the $5 promo credit.

I don't have $5 in Amazon credit

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. The games were 75 percent off for the first time ever. Sucks if he missed it. But if you saw the prices and still waffled... well, don't do that again.
I don't want them, as I didn't like Ys Origin demo, but I think I should get it only to make the demo disappear from my games list in my Steam profile.

Why did I have to download it? It'll haunt my account forever.

Shoogoo

Meh, I bought M&M:CoH after trying the demo, but my game disappeared and I have to start from the beginning, annoying to go through all the tutorials and shit :<

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Has anyone mentioned Hotline Miami and Darkness 2 for $2.5 and Dark Souls for $12.5 on Amazon? $5 is removed from the games on checkout.

Don't forget Spec Ops at 2.50 after voucher.
Not only is it mad-cheap, it helped me save a further ~30 bucks I was about to spend on BF3: PE by making me physically sick at the thought of playing and perpetuating the MMS standard.
Cheers, Yager.

tjohn86

I think too many people assume that everyone has the $5 promo credit on Amazon for some reason. Every time I see something like "hey guys Dark Souls is only $12 on Amazon" I get excited but then I'm like oh they must mean with the $5 promo credit.

I don't have $5 in Amazon credit

Yeah I got excited until I realized I don't have a code.

Alien8

US, it just flipped back to 50% again.

And I just bought it.

mxsR4.png

Maybe it's symbolic, like they're testing your twitch reflexes for the game, and if you don't react fast enough, you don't deserve the extra 25% off?

Yes, it fixed here too... and I bought it too!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I'm completely unfamiliar with first-person shooters. Pretty sure the only one I've ever played is Goldeneye 64, and I don't know if I ever tried anything but multiplayer. It's been a loooong while.

I'd like to give the genre a shot, so should I pick up SS3?

Momentary

Banned
317 games in my library... What... have... I... DONE!!! Only game I'm waiting for to go onsale is Street Fighter X Tekken. I made a specific list with specific games and now I've bought 5 times the amount of games I originally decided on. I think I need to go some kind of support group.

1-D_FTW

I'm completely unfamiliar with first-person shooters. Pretty sure the only one I've ever played is Goldeneye 64, and I don't know if I ever tried anything but multiplayer. It's been a loooong while.

Is SS Serious Sam 3?

If so, god no. If you haven't played an FPS since Goldeneye, the world is your oyster. Don't play that crap.

EDIT: What type of FPS would you like to play? Tactical? Mindless? Story driven? Point in the direction and we can do much better than that.

Oh my, no.

In all seriousness, TF2 was my gateway drug. It's a lot more complex now than it started (mostly because there's all sorts of new items you have to learn to counter or watch for, not necessarily that you have to use them), but I think I'd still recommend it as a starter FPS.

One of the nice things is that the classes all play so uniquely, and some of them allow you to be strategic in lieu of having instant pin-point reactions.

Oh, and it's totally free to start with. If you have Steam, you own the F2P version right now. If you want more item drops and trading, then you just have to buy one tiny thing from the shop, whatever you feel like. (You could buy a key for example, then immediately trade it to someone else for a load of weapons, or some crafting metal, or one of the cheaper hats.)

derExperte

No. SS3 and the SS series in general is an acquired taste. I kinda like them and had no big qualms with 3 but I wouldn't start with them. Maybe get one of the classics like Half-Life 2 and the episodes?

tmarques

GAF should claim all the new ones suck and to get the old ones.

DRM doesn't make 6 bad, slow, plodding gameplay with h poor changes does.

Just realised HoMM III isn't available on Steam. Can it be bought anywhere? I'd rather buy a digital copy than try and unearth my physical one.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Is SS Serious Sam 3?

If so, god no.

No. SS3 and the SS series in general is an acquired taste.

Oh my, no.

Haha, I see! I figured I'd pick up SS3 because it seemed very straightforward (pick up gun, shoot things) and is currently 85% off...the latter being a pretty big factor.

I guess I'm looking for something without a whole lot of cruft (i.e. collectables, experience points) and enough of a single-player mode to cut my teeth on. I'd rather be punished for my lack of skill and forced to improve than given an easy out with items or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom