• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
I guess I'm looking for something without a whole lot of cruft (i.e. collectables, experience points) and enough of a single-player mode to cut my teeth on. I'd rather be punished for my lack of skill and forced to improve than given an easy out with items or whatever.

SS3 is perfect for you then, 100% mowing down hordes of enemies with zero stat upgrades along the way. If you don't get better, the game sure as hell doesn't help.

I paid full price for the deluxe edition at launch and loved every second of it, at $10 $6 (woah, that's cheap) it's an absolute steal. Also consider SSHD 1st & 2nd encounter if they're on sale (edit: they are, stealth sale), though I'd recommend 3 first to ease you in to the gun play, it's a little more new-player friendly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Jesus, I just missed the Clash of Heroes sale? :(

Haha, I see! I figured I'd pick up SS3 because it seemed very straightforward (pick up gun, shoot things) and is currently 85% off...the latter being a pretty big factor.

I guess I'm looking for something without a whole lot of cruft (i.e. collectables, experience points) and enough of a single-player mode to cut my teeth on. I'd rather be punished for my lack of skill and forced to improve than given an easy out with items or whatever.

Left 4 Dead 2
Half-Life 2
Bulletstorm
Bioshock

All are good choices and all are old enough to be really cheap at this point. Amazon has some really good deals on Bioshock + other games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Those considering Serious Sam 3 should be warned that, while the game can be mindless fun, the penultimate level drags on for far, far too long and will leave a sour taste in your mouth; set in a long, constricted canyon, the game throws literally thousands of enemies at you, which, in such a confined space, means you spend more time respawning than shooting. It took me and a mate at least an hour to slog through, and that's a generously low estimate.

Momentary

Banned
Serious Sam Complete Pack ended up in my cart somehow... The only way I'll ever complete my backlog now is if a nuclear war were to occur and game developers stopped developing games. Hopefully that can wait until Metro Last Light hits Steam.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I just got the Broken Sword Trilogy for $1.99.

I had no idea it was on sale but I decided to look up the series on Steam since I just finished Broken Sword 2 (got it free through an online deal) and absolutely loved it and wanted more. Seeing the 3 games for so cheap, I couldn't pass it up.

I just got the Broken Sword Trilogy for $1.99.

I had no idea it was on sale but I decided to look up the series on Steam since I just finished Broken Sword 2 (got it free through an online deal) and absolutely loved it and wanted more. Seeing the 3 games for so cheap, I couldn't pass it up.
The first one is still the best, the characters and dialogues are awesome.

biocat

So Fallen Enchantress is Stardock's broken Elemental game but all fixed and repackaged? Is it significantly better? I'm actually pretty interested.

I nearly pre-ordered the previous one but thankfully didn't. That game had a terrible release.

Lucifon

should get new ones today (in theory). today might be the last day though. tomorrow might be like a recap day or something

edit : counters say 48 hours of deals left...take that how you will

AFAIK January 5th will be the last day of sales. So still probably 2 more days of 'new' sales then a recap one. I live in the UK and the sales refresh at 6pm, but in Valve time that's 10am. So I believe the Winter sale will come to a close at 10am PST on 6th.

Am I right there?

You're a horrible person. Stop doing this to my backlog.

I only played the original. Liked it, but not as much as the Lucas Arts and Sierra classics. Are the sequels worth it?
The second one is also good, but they ruined everything with the third game, IMO. The game is in 3D with awful controls, full of "push the block" puzzles, a few QTEs and lame stealth sections. The voice acting is still good.

Tomodachi

Well, that is quite the difference. Is it a good RTS game?
I only played a bit of AOE3 years ago, but AOE2 was very good back in the days.
Still not pulling the trigger on AOE3 on Steam since it's so damn expansive for a 7 years old game. And beware of the official screenshots on the store's page, they're the very definition of bullshots: game looks nice but not that nice.

therapist

bump for new page.

Its a good SP game , but prepare for a stupid amount of cutscenes.

The gameplay that is there is quite good , but cutscenes ruined it for me.

Once sp finished u can play arcade mode i think its called , qwhich is no cutscenes.

Id probably wait for 10$ , but 15 isnt bad.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Broken sword games are adventure games, right?

If so, are the puzzles semi logical?

Yes they're adventure games. I can only speak on the 2nd one, but yeah I felt the puzzles are logical. One thing I really liked about it (versus other adventure games I've played) is how it's based in reality. There's some mysticism in the game, but the things your characters are doing don't really involve magic, more MacGyver style stuff. The characters are awesome too. I thought I wasn't gonna like the main character, but he won me over quickly with his sense of humor.

I watched that hour long GB ql last night on Miasmata and am now desperate it goes on sale again.

Looks like a fun game to just wander around aimlessly in.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Is X-Com really that good? It's on a whole lot of GotY lists and it was pretty much under my radar until I saw that. I might try to pick it up from Steam with any sale I can find.

tjohn86

Is X-Com really that good? It's on a whole lot of GotY lists and it was pretty much under my radar until I saw that. I might try to pick it up from Steam with any sale I can find.

I haven't played an XCOM game before (despite owning them all dammit steam) and I loved it. Great game. GOTY material for sure.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I need Tomb Raider advice!

I have never been a TR fan but I'm thinking of biting on Anniversary or Legend. Would getting both be redundant or are they both worth playing? (Keep in mind I don't care about the fiction at all, it's the gameplay I'm focusing on.)

Are those two considered to be the best ones? (I'm not even considering playing the old ones because of how they look.)

I'm not a strategy gamer at all, never played original X-COM, and I'm only a little ways into the game, but it's engaging, intense, and fun. Even though I don't know what I'm doing.

Struct09

Yes. Having never gotten into an XCOM game before, Enemy Unknown became my GOTY.

I need Tomb Raider advice!

I have never been a TR fan but I'm thinking of biting on Anniversary or Legend. Would getting both be redundant or are they both worth playing? (Keep in mind I don't care about the fiction at all, it's the gameplay I'm focusing on.)

Are those two considered to be the best ones? (I'm not even considering playing the old ones because of how they look.)

I'm not a strategy gamer at all, never played original X-COM, and I'm only a little ways into the game, but it's engaging, intense, and fun. Even though I don't know what I'm doing.

Anniversary it's a remake from the PS1 and Legend was the first TR with better graphics and gameplay made by Cristal Dynamics, so I recommend to go for both, believe me, both games are fun!

Shoogoo

Somehow, GMG website is too slow for my phone, or maybe it's the opposite.

Could anyone tell me what are today's deals?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Maybe get one of the classics like Half-Life 2 and the episodes?

Left 4 Dead 2
Half-Life 2
Bulletstorm
Bioshock
I figured I'd get a lot of recs for HL2, but should I play HL1 before that? I hear they're pretty story-driven games.

...Haha, I wish I'd thought to ask about this at the beginning of the sale. Most of the games mentioned have already been a daily or flash deal, IIRC.

Has Retro City Rampage been on sale yet?

RCR was a flash. 50% off.

Amneisac

XCom is definitely great, but it's best with Iron Man enabled (so you can't alt+f4 or reload a save when someone dies, it has permadeath after all) - but at the same time this can cause major nerdrage.

I was 15 hours in and got to a mission and had a few missed shots at over 80% hit rate and then had an area where an enemy could shoot through a wall and I lost a few colonels and really had a hard time progressing at that point.

I loved it though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm completely unfamiliar with first-person shooters. Pretty sure the only one I've ever played is Goldeneye 64, and I don't know if I ever tried anything but multiplayer. It's been a loooong while.

I'd like to give the genre a shot, so should I pick up SS3?
Please, PLEASE do yourself a favor and pick up F.E.A.R. next time it goes on sale. You can't go wrong with the whole franchise (as long as you understand that the third game is an abomination not as good as the rest), but if you're unsure just get the first one.

Regarding Serious Sam, I have the franchise pack, but so far I've only played The First Encounter Classic. It's a fun, mindless shooter, but don't expect any depth at all.

Prey is also a great game, but you can't get it from Steam, you'll have to buy a retail copy and redeem it on Steam, or digitally from GamesPlanet (which gives you 2 Steam keys for 7 bucks, totally worth it).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I figured I'd get a lot of recs for HL2, but should I play HL1 before that? I hear they're pretty story-driven games.

You learn what you need to of the original throughout Half-Life 2's campaign, but I'd recommend playing it anyway as it's still a fantastic if somewhat dated FPS experience. If you'd prefer a more modern take, there's the fan-made recreation Black Mesa, although at present it lacks the final act of the game (i.e. the Xen levels).

Yasir

HUGE HUGE Thank you to a fellow neogaf member (going by 'confused' on steam). Received a message from him with a code for Hotline Miami.

Absolute legend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom