• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Anniversary it's a remake from the PS1 and Legend was the first TR with better graphics and gameplay made by Cristal Dynamics, so I recommend to go for both, believe me, both games are fun!

Judging from the trailer, Legend appears to have more story, more non-cave settings, and more intense action? Is this accurate?

edit: just saw this
Both are worth playing imo, some people don't like Legend as it's fairly action heavy, I really enjoyed doing the timed level runs and finding all the secrets.

Anniversary is just brilliant in every way, arguably the best in the series.

I think I'll just get Anniversary, then. I'm looking to maximize the tomb raiding and minimize the story and clumsy third person action.

Lucifon

Just over an hour left to see if Fallout NV Ultimate Edition drops. Please drop :( Been checking every day since the start for this one. Ironic how low it's gone in previous sales then the sale where I finally decide I fancy picking it up, it shows no signs of dropping on any site.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Those considering Serious Sam 3 should be warned that, while the game can be mindless fun, the penultimate level drags on for far, far too long and will leave a sour taste in your mouth; set in a long, constricted canyon, the game throws literally thousands of enemies at you, which, in such a confined space, means you spend more time respawning than shooting. It took me and a mate at least an hour to slog through, and that's a generously low estimate.
Sounds exactly like The First Encounter, actually. The last levels featured more than 40 enemies at the same time, so you have to spam quicksave or have lightning fast reflexes if you want to survie. And that's on normal, mind you. Fun, but a little bit stressing.

Durante

So Fallen Enchantress is Stardock's broken Elemental game but all fixed and repackaged? Is it significantly better? I'm actually pretty interested.

I nearly pre-ordered the previous one but thankfully didn't. That game had a terrible release.
It's significantly better. I bought Elemental on launch and was really disappointed, but this almost lives up to the initial promise (and it helps that early Elemental adopters got it for free).

garath

It's significantly better. I bought Elemental on launch and was really disappointed, but this almost lives up to the initial promise (and it helps that early Elemental adopters got it for free).

I never played Elemental but I've been enjoying Fallen Enchantress. My only complaint so far is the tutorial was very bare bones and I've been discovering new things like all the time. For example, I had no idea you could buy items for your heroes. The menu for that is in their inventory. Where I would have never expected it to be...

Also just learned about enchanting my cities. Lol. 10 hours in an it feels like a brand new game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sounds exactly like The First Encounter, actually. The last levels featured more than 40 enemies at the same time, so you have to spam quicksave or have lightning fast reflexes if you want to survie. And that's on normal, mind you. Fun, but a little bit stressing.

Sam 3's variant is ridiculously over the top for nothing more than the sake of being ridiculously over the top and, consequently, it's a complete mess and simply not fun.

Tambini

All that was left for me to get was Hotline Miami but I ran out of money when I bought Deus Ex oops

I probably have too many games to play anyway ^^

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
After seeing everyone's comments here about XCOM, I might be picking this up in a couple of minutes via Steam. I'm going to wait a few minutes to make sure this isn't an impulse buy. I also usually game on consoles, but there are certain games that I feel should be played on PC and XCOM seems like one of those games.

Tizoc

I need Tomb Raider advice!

I have never been a TR fan but I'm thinking of biting on Anniversary or Legend. Would getting both be redundant or are they both worth playing? (Keep in mind I don't care about the fiction at all, it's the gameplay I'm focusing on.)

Are those two considered to be the best ones? (I'm not even considering playing the old ones because of how they look.)

I'm not a strategy gamer at all, never played original X-COM, and I'm only a little ways into the game, but it's engaging, intense, and fun. Even though I don't know what I'm doing.

Go for Ann., Legend and Underworld. Legend is the most different of the TR games, but is short and fun IMO.

I just got the Broken Sword Trilogy for $1.99.

I had no idea it was on sale but I decided to look up the series on Steam since I just finished Broken Sword 2 (got it free through an online deal) and absolutely loved it and wanted more. Seeing the 3 games for so cheap, I couldn't pass it up.

IIRC, this does not have the original BS1, as the remake omits a few minor stuff.
Non the less get it if you like Point n' Click games.

Jesus, I just missed the Clash of Heroes sale? :(

I made a give-away of it at the Steam Gifts thread:

Ugh I really wanna get the LoK on Gamersgate but that site SUUUUUCCCKKKSSSS.

It doesnt load and is so slow, tried Chrome and IE. Guess I'll pass on it

Mihos

Gold Member
After seeing everyone's comments here about XCOM, I might be picking this up in a couple of minutes via Steam. I'm going to wait a few minutes to make sure this isn't an impulse buy. I also usually game on consoles, but there are certain games that I feel should be played on PC and XCOM seems like one of those games.

Do it! My favorite pickup this year so far.

Dear god man wait for the daily deals!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh I really wanna get the LoK on Gamersgate but that site SUUUUUCCCKKKSSSS.

It doesnt load and is so slow, tried Chrome and IE. Guess I'll pass on it

Just try again later -- there are still almost 18 hours until GG updates its Dailies.

It's on sale at Amazon for $25 and depending on your recent buying history with Amazon you may have a $5 credit. So you can get it for $20 and it activates on Steam.

The_Monk

XCOM is so good but so good that the only bad thing right now is my lack of more time to play it.

I really need more time :(

I just did it. >_>

Downloading now.

I was weak. So weak.

Wait for... oh well. At least you are going to have some fun, enjoy it!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I tried gaf.

Wait for... oh well. At least you are going to have some fun, enjoy it!

I appreciate your efforts, next time I will have more will power to wait for the dailies. I just got tormented watching XCOM get "special mention" over the last day while I was watching various GotY videos for fun. I didn't trust Game Trailers though - their GotY awards are always a joke, but their opinion seemed to be reinforced.

I even watched a random video today and what did I see? XCOM as number one. I don't understand how a game so good apparently got under my radar.

WAIT FOR THE DAILIES!

Too late.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I appreciate your efforts, next time I will have more will power to wait for the dailies. I just got tormented watching XCOM get "special mention" over the last day while I was watching various GotY videos for fun. I didn't trust Game Trailers though - their GotY awards are always a joke, but their opinion seemed to be reinforced.

I even watched a random video today and what did I see? XCOM as number one. I don't understand how a game so good apparently got under my radar.

Now I extra want for it to be featured as a daily/flash/community vote deal to see you suffer.

I don't know, I guess i'm just a bad person.

Dunlop

Is X-Com really that good? It's on a whole lot of GotY lists and it was pretty much under my radar until I saw that. I might try to pick it up from Steam with any sale I can find.

Picked it up for $17.50 the other day from GMG, game is awesome

..unfortunately I developed a slight addiction to the Secret World (also from GMG sale) that has been monopolizing my free gaming time. Soon as I am tired of that I am back on X-Com :p

Dunlop

5 minutes until 5 repeats and 1 game no one cares about/cheaper somewhere else

I agree, but even with the shitty sales they have been having this is the second OT. Wheras GMG has been having some pretty awesome sales on recent games and gets very little attention.

Gabe realizes that people will just keep buying pretty much anything when it is $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom