• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

This sale season is done. GMG no longer has the 30% off coupon, AFAIK. Steam won`t have anything of note for the next few days and I used my Amazon credit towards MP3.

I just need to pick up Freespace 2 on GOG and JA2 and I`m done. Expensive season, though I didn`t buy a lot on Steam itself.

EDIT: SHIT! I thought GOG sale was still on today. :(
oh no. That sucks. Freespace 2 is still a wonderful game at $6 though. I paid full price for it and thought it was a great deal at that price. All that fantastic extra user created content should make the extra $3 hurt much less!

I own both games, but haven't played more than an hour or so of the first one. It would be wrong to give you any kind of recommendation based on that, outside that it's amazingly fun to kick around one of your minions because you're the boss.

At any rate, both have demos on Steam so you might want to give them a try.

Wolfie5

Wow, all six are repeats. Not a single new deal. What the hell happened to Steam sales?

Guess we should stop with the wait the for the daily deal rule and wait for that Amazon/Gamersgate/etc. deal instead.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
But what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
Now I'm afraid that this IS actually the Groundhog day, and even if Garry tries to kill the sales they'll be alive again the following day. Imagine this: the same dailies and flashes and choices, each and every day, for the rest of our lives. It's enough to drive a man insane, I believe.

Juice

I previously had Civ 5 + Gods & Kings, but I was missing the other micro-DLC along the way. Gladly dropped $5 for the GOTY edition "Upgrade" on my vanilla copy. That should be nice.

Recall

Are there any must have indie games? Everyone already has Super Meat Boy, FTL, Hotline Miami, Binding of Isaac etc etc but are there any overlooked indy games worth picking up?

Doomrider

Are there any must have indie games? Everyone already has Super Meat Boy, FTL, Hotline Miami, Binding of Isaac etc etc but are there any overlooked indy games worth picking up?

It depends on what games the "etc etc." represents. If you haven't played the likes of Superbrothers S&S EP, Eversion, Machinarium or Dustforce, you should, because they're all worthwhile games in one way or another.

kurahador

I previously had Civ 5 + Gods & Kings, but I was missing the other micro-DLC along the way. Gladly dropped $5 for the GOTY edition "Upgrade" on my vanilla copy. That should be nice.

GOTY edition is still not complete btw.
You still lack Korea & Wonders DLC.

cicero

You guys haven't talked Age of Empires 3, not your cup of tea?
Not with a ridiculous $40 base price. Once it hits a proper 75% off sale with a reasonable base price of $20 it will be an insta-buy. Until then I will be playing my physical copy bargain bin version with XP support of the superior AoE2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Honestly, browse the entire catalogue A-Z and add anything interesting to your wishlist. Ten people could give you 100 different answers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Here's hoping the Thief games work on Windows 8!

With I Am Alive returning, I'll take this time to remind everyone that there's a pretty neat color mod out there: http://steamcommunity.com/app/214250/discussions/0/864945865138023200/

FB15B73EEFB9C43B750EC964EA9F0D9F6213F519

2DD7BBEDB5D49C744530D20912CA968C2ED8105F

Note: The screens appear darker than they actually are in game. Something strange about the screenshot process, and the adjustments that the color mod makes. Also it appears you can tweak certain color values, if it's too much saturation.

I'm about halfway through the game and am enjoying it. The combat's not the best, but there are some really good ideas there. The lack of plentiful resources makes things tense.

Check it out, while it's 5 bucks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
From what little I played, They Bleed Pixels is pretty good. The Bit.Trip saga is excellent, even if the last 2 games haven't been released on Steam yet. NightSky is a short but interesting puzzle/platformer. Limbo and Braid are both great, though I haven't played them since I got them on Steam. I don't know what else, Audiosurf? Picked it up on the Autumn sale and it's nice. Super Hexagon is fun in short bursts. Mark of the Ninja is praised a lot around here, I got it on the last sale but didn't play it yet.

Wok

Yes.

1. A Virus Named TOM: a cleverly designed action-puzzler
  2. Blocks That Matter: a puzzle-platformer
  3. Hamilton's Great Adventure: a challenge for people aiming for the leaderboard
  4. Faerie Solitaire: an addictive solitaire
  5. Vessel: an okay platformer
  6. Revenge of the Titans: a nice strategy game
  7. English Country Tune: so mind-bending
  8. Vertex Dispenser: my head hurts
  9. Solar 2: I have had fun with this one for 9 hours
  10. Adventures of Shuggy: a really well-designed platformer
  11. BEEP: a relaxing platformer
  12. Critter Crunch: disturbingly fun
  13. Osmos: the hardest game ever
  14. Pid: the platformer
  15. The Tiny Bang Story: hidden objects
  16. Gateways: clever

datamage

I own and have extensively played all of the Civ games. IMHO, the order of ranking is:

Civ IV > Civ V > Civ II > Civ I > Civ III

Civ IV with all the expansions is still my favorite Civ game to date, it's just a complete, enthralling, awesome thing to play. That said....

Civ V is the version I play today. It has the best interface and graphics, although I greatly miss the charts and diplomacy screens from IV. I feel that after another expansion or two V will surpass IV as the best Civ game. God's & Kings made V much better, and I've now pretty much shelved IV for good.

Civ I was orgasmically awesome back in 1994, mine is on a single 1.44MB floppy, but by today's standards its very dated and only good for nostalgia.

Civ II was an improvement over Civ I in every way, it's even good today IMHO.

Civ III is in my opinion the worst game of the series. That's not to say it's bad or even terrible, it added some real nice things to the franchise, it just fell short on the fun factor and always seemed lacking to me. I eventually abandoned Civ III and went back to Civ II before Civ IV came out.

IMHO, don't bother with III, you won't be missing much.

Just curious, as someone that just recently got into Civ V, what did Gods and Kings include to make it better? (I know religion was missing at first...)

Fantomex

Not with a ridiculous $40 base price. Once it hits a proper 75% off sale with a reasonable base price of $20 it will be an insta-buy. Until then I will be playing my physical copy bargain bin version with XP support of the superior AoE2.

I think im finna swoop in at 9.99

Decado

oh no. That sucks. Freespace 2 is still a wonderful game at $6 though. I paid full price for it and thought it was a great deal at that price. All that fantastic extra user created content should make the extra $3 hurt much less!

It's $10 and I already own it. I just wanted a digital version. :p

It's been ages since I tried the source project. I need to find some good, recent youtube videos of it in action for inspiration.

Coop

I hope Primordia is on the next flash sales. I know it was up for voting a week ago for 50% off but i dont think it's been on sale for that yet.

MNC

I'm going to be devestated if I can't pick up Sleeping Dogs for a very sexy price ( I missed out on GMG).

Caerith

Would be funny if instead of having new deals every day then a recap day at the end, this time is two weeks of recaps then the last day is exclusively new deals.

kami_sama

I hope Primordia is on the next flash sales. I know it was up for voting a week ago for 50% off but i dont think it's been on sale for that yet.
It's the only game I want to buy now.
Played (almost) every wadjets eyes point and click game except Primordia and Blackwell Deception. The second one I've won on the giveaway, so I only need the first one.

Caerith

It's the only game I want to buy now.
Played (almost) every wadjets eyes point and click game except Primordia and Blackwell Deception. The second one I've won on the giveaway, so I only need the first one.
I've only played the first three Blackwell games from Wadjet Eye. How does their other stuff compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom