• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolaroo

No, sorry, I should have been more clear.

I don't think, gameplay-wise, Bastion is that impressive. What it does mechanically is no better than competent. But as an experience, everything comes together and it excels. It's very, very good. The core game, however, is quite simple. Which is all I meant by it.

Ah ok. Yeah alot of people didn't really like the gameplay a ton for this game but liked it overall. I find myself in the minority in that I like the personaly quite enjoyed the combat and mechanics.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How much better is the PC version of Dark Souls after the fixes and whatnot? Is it a drastic improvement over say the PS3 version visually?

It's literally a fixed version of Dark Souls. Visually and performance-wise it's a very big difference.

screenshot_2012-12-13b9jel.png

screenshot_2012-12-1398jbe.png

screenshot_2012-12-1675k40.png

feel

Yes, hyperbole, although it is a lot better visually. Saying that the console versions may as well not exist is a little silly though given that if you care about the multiplayer experience of the game you should really play it on consoles.
What is wrong with multiplayer on pc? I played through it recently and I kept summoning people, getting invaded, seeing signs and ghosts, etc, just as much as in the xbox version I played a while back.

Caerith

What is wrong with multiplayer on pc? I played through it recently and I kept summoning people, getting invaded, seeing signs and ghosts, etc, just as much as in the xbox version I played a while back.
Nothing wrong, per se, just it's a lot livelier on PS3 than on PC. Or so I hear.

Definitely not hyperbole. I'm amazed that people actually got through the console version, both in terms of terrible framerate and god awful IQ.

Blighttown and maybe a few other instances were bad, but I largely got through the game just fine.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions, just curious.

def sim

Yes, hyperbole, although it is a lot better visually. Saying that the console versions may as well not exist is a little silly though given that if you care about the multiplayer experience of the game you should really play it on consoles.

I've owned and played all three versions; the multiplayer community is well across the board. The PS3 certainly has the biggest, but it's only really obvious when solely focusing on PVP.

Tizoc

Gonna drop my family off at the airport, get back to check the daily repeats, have a late dinner then hit the sack. Will wait til the next daily goes up then make some main/final purchases.

1-D_FTW

I asked this before, but it wasn't really answered. Does the 60fps fix really remove the Blightown issues? Somebody said it was because it was hard capped at 15fps and that's the reason for the slowdown. True? Is this pretty much locked at 60fps with appropriate hardware?

Is all the hyperbole that gets thrown around for Civ 5 justified? I hear it's got terrible a.i. and doesn't require any strategy. I've never played a Civ game so Civ 5 being easy to get into is appealing, but if Civ 4 is the better game should I just get that one instead?

Get both honestly. Civ 5 is great, some parts aren't quite there (like the AI) but I would bet you would enjoy it (definitely get the Xpac). Civ4 according to many is the GOAT, so ya get it.

Stitch

Gold Member
Not sure if this means anything, but I was playing around with the daily deal banners URL and I found that Amnesia has one despite (as far as I can recall) not having been a daily deal yet:

It was in the Vote once so I guess it will also show up as a Daily.

AlexBasch

I'm almost about to finish Spec Ops The Line and christ, it gets very tiring.

Shooting section with lots of soldiers, advance a little, another series of soldiers, walk a bit more, oh yeah, another batallion of soldiers to kill.

I think I just killed the army of a small-regular sized country already. The story is good, but the shooting is a fucking drag.

It's kind of broken in the way that it was on the xbox and ps3 around launch. 9/10 attempts to summon people results in "Summoning Failed."
I've owned and played all three versions; the multiplayer community is well across the board. The PS3 certainly has the biggest, but it's only really obvious when solely focusing on PVP.
I also own and have played all 3 (100+ hours on 360, 50 hours on PS3, 200+ hours on PC) and can say for certain that there's a big difference between the multiplayer on PC and consoles. The community is bit smaller, but aside from that there's the connectivity issues I've mentioned above. Console versions had the same issue at launch but were fixed after 1.05. You don't see as many signs on PC, they fail most of the time, you don't get invaded nearly as much, and the forest/blade covenants take longer to invade another player. With all of the people who'd just bought it on sale there's probably a good number of people playing now to the point where it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but it's generally a much smoother experience on consoles.

God damn the store is loading like ass for me right now. First time this sale its done this.

You guys remember back a few years when these first started and you would get terrible download speeds during the sale and for like a week afterwards? Man those were the days *not*.

Torraz

Can't check out in steam atm. I either can't reach the payment screen or nothing happens after I click the green "for myself" button. Anyone else?

Zia

Civ V Game of the Year upgrade is a tremendous deal at $5 (especially if you have a few bucks sitting in your Steam wallet from flipping crates ; ) ). Little bitter they just give you the DLC and don't upgrade your license to GotY, though...

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Hm, To The Moon has been on my wishlist forever. Been meaning to play it but with my backlog refreshed I may just wait until it shows up in a bundle.

Go for GTA4, that was my GOTY 2009
VVV

Hmm... I kind of want to play modded GTAIV on PC, and the Episodes... but it's kind of too close to GTAV for me, especially considering my massive backlog.

baconcow

To anyone who is on the edge of To The Moon, it is worth it for anyone who loves story-based games. Has an amazing soundtrack matched with some great characters. About 4-6 hours long, and not for everyone as the gameplay is simpler exploration and puzzles, but the experience is quite something.

Lots of praise for it in the RPG Maker game topic as well.

I was going quickly through the long-play and it seems pretty bland. I didn't see any combat or anything to keep me interested. Took him 3 hours 53 minutes for the entire length of the video, including credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZFH0Jj8CQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom