• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Burnburn

In the options you can set 'Cancel Skip/Auto Mode for phone triggers'. But this should be on by default. This worked perfectly for me.
Maybe you are using 'forced skip' instead of the regular skip? In case this makes any difference.

I was using regular skip yes, it stopped doing it now, I think I'm going crazy .

Where did you read that the vita version had issues? AFAIK it doesn't.
But yeah, skip with Start, not R.

I read there were parsing issues (which I'm also experiencing). So I thought there might be more that's a little bit off. Think I read it on the first few pages of this thread (or another thread on GAF)?

Man, selecting the right options for the right paths is always such a hassle in VN's, time for Faris's route though.

Edit: Also this has to be mentioned at the top of the page (to make my post a little less shit); the voice acting in this game is amazing.

Prelude.

Or use the superior Type B control scheme that don't even have Force Skip ;)
I remember that there was something missing and I didn't use it, maybe it was that.

I was using regular skip yes, it stopped doing it now, I think I'm going crazy .
Unless I'm mistaken, the mails that get skipped by the skip function aren't important, like Moeka's spammy mails. You can't reply to those to begin with. Everything tied to any kind of unlockables or progress stops the skip.

I read there were parsing issues (which I'm also experiencing). So I thought there might be more that's a little bit off. Think I read it on the first few pages of this thread (or another thread on GAF)?
Oh that, yeah. It's both on PS3 and Vita.

Omikaru

Can anyone here recommend a good step-by-step guide? I unlocked an ending (
Suzuha's
), and then I took a look at the widely-linked flowchart to see what I'd have to do, and I got annoyed reading it. It seemed overly complicated, and I don't much like flowcharts.

I'd much prefer a step-by-step guide that just tells where to save, what texts to reply to, and which saves I should load to get the endings.

I looked at this one, but it seems to be related to a janky-ass fantranslation, and I'm worried I'll screw up by misreading something. Someone also linked me to this one, but I prefer the simple tabled layout of the first one with the clear divisions between character endings.

Is there a guide I'm missing?

Suzuha's
), and then I took a look at the widely-linked flowchart to see what I'd have to do, and I got annoyed reading it. It seemed overly complicated, and I don't much like flowcharts.

I'd much prefer a step-by-step guide that just tells where to save, what texts to reply to, and which saves I should load to get the endings.

I looked at this one, but it seems to be related to a janky-ass fantranslation, and I'm worried I'll screw up by misreading something. Someone also linked me to this one, but I prefer the simple tabled layout of the first one with the clear divisions between character endings.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/steinsgate-complete-walkthrough-get-all-the-endings-and-achievements

Firestar

Suzuha's

I just 100% it using the first guide you linked for save points and also looking at the flowchart. After like, maybe chapter 5 I caught on to the flowchart though and realized it's actually quite simple after you kind of understand the flow of the game. Use them side by side and you'll be fine.

Prelude.

Suzuha's

I had the same reaction, remembered that the ibm5100 guide (that I used originally) is shit and then went back to the flow-chart. It's easier to read than it looks, just check the first "guide" page and try to use it a bit. You'll understand how it works soon enough.

Btw,
you got Suzuha's ending because you didn't pick up your phone manually to send the d-mail, you can quick load and keep going from there if you send it.

Omikaru

I just 100% it using the first guide you linked for save points and also looking at the flowchart. After like, maybe chapter 5 I caught on to the flowchart though and realized it's actually quite simple after you kind of understand the flow of the game. Use them sidebyside and you'll be fine.
That sounds more complicated than just using the flowchart.

When I said I didn't want to use the thing, I meant it, sorry. Nothing will convince me to use that flowchart. I have a pathological hatred of them, and I just get frustrated when I see them. That's not necessarily related to this game specifically, but in almost any instance in anything I do.

I feel they try to communicate information in a simple way, but by abstracting certain things to colour codes, dotted lines, and different coloured shapes, they wind up making the process more complicated than it should be.

I'll take a look at this one, however. Thanks!

Just got my plat... Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! That final CG. Manly tears, all throughout. Now to get my wife to watch the anime.

Edit: I paid $50, for my vita version. Gonna pick up a U.S. Version also, bring on the science adventure!

Just got my plat... Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! That final CG. Manly tears, all throughout. Now to get my wife to watch the anime.

Edit: I paid $50, for my vita version. Gonna pick up a U.S. Version also, bring on the science adventure!

The feels upon that first true ending completion.

Vanguard

Completed it for first time last night and got
Mayuri's
ending. I couldn't leave it at that and had to finish it all. So this morning I did everything else and got the plat. Absolutely loved this game, personally my goty so far.

Whoa, the moment you know you're on the True route is so awesome
with the credits rolling back.

Watching the anime probably spoiled the experience for me but I feel the latter half of the game is so much better than the first half, which is a really slow burn.

Prelude.

Finished it again, it took a bit less than 30 hours this time.
The true ending unlock got me again, it's SO GOOD.

Comparing my old clear list screen to the new one I noticed they removed quite a bit of tips.
Also a bit sad this stuff didn't unlock in the end, I had a glimmer of hope it would.

Finished it again, it took a bit less than 30 hours this time.
The true ending unlock got me again, it's SO GOOD.

Comparing my old clear list screen to the new one I noticed they removed quite a bit of tips.
Also a bit sad this stuff didn't unlock in the end, I had a glimmer of hope it would.
What is your old clear list from? I remember comparing the TIPs to the JAST release and noting that the only difference was that Hater (Anti) was changed to Anti (Hater) for some reason, which may have been a programming mistake.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I've just started my copy of Steins;Gate (Vita version if that makes a difference) and I was surprise that you seem to play a lunatic. I also was surprised about the lack of localisation. Sure, everything is translated to English just fine, but this game feels extremely Japanese, something that I didn't experience as much in other games from Japan, usually they adopted the games more towards a "western behaviour".

I see the game has multiple endings, but the discussions in that regard are always filled with black bars. Can someone give me a spoiler-free explanation on what I have to do to get to the right ending / explore all endings? Does it go like Virtue's Last Reward where you can go back to your branching point and choose a different option next time, is it like 999 where you need several complete playthroughs, or is it something in-between where I need to store safe files of various points in the game? I really hope for the VLR-model to be honest, because then I'm quite sure nothing goes wrong, the 999 style filled with redundancy and the save-state-preserving option seems tedious.

cj_iwakura

I've just started my copy of Steins;Gate (Vita version if that makes a difference) and I was surprise that you seem to play a lunatic. I also was surprised about the lack of localisation. Sure, everything is translated to English just fine, but this game feels extremely Japanese, something that I didn't experience as much in other games from Japan, usually they adopted the games more towards a "western behaviour".

I see the game has multiple endings, but the discussions in that regard are always filled with black bars. Can someone give me a spoiler-free explanation on what I have to do to get to the right ending / explore all endings? Does it go like Virtue's Last Reward where you can go back to your branching point and choose a different option next time, is it like 999 where you need several complete playthroughs, or is it something in-between where I need to store safe files of various points in the game? I really hope for the VLR-model to be honest, because then I'm quite sure nothing goes wrong, the 999 style filled with redundancy and the save-state-preserving option seems tedious.

They did as well as could be expected localization wise, especially with the 4chan references. S;G is deeply steeped in otaku content, so it's best to just roll with it. They made the really obscure stuff as palatable as possible.

Yoshi

They did as well as could be expected localization wise, especially with the 4chan references. S;G is deeply steeped in otaku content, so it's best to just roll with it. They made the really obscure stuff as palatable as possible.

I'm not complaining, I can totally live with that, but it seemed strange to me and I guess more casual players without any connections to Japan might be freaked out by the (by western standards) strange behaviour of the characters in the game. It actually seems to be quite the nerd-game - moreso than visual novels I've played before were already.

Glad to see it finally get a Western release on consoles. Steins Gate has some of the best-written science fiction storytelling I've seen in any medium. Highly recommended for any science fiction fan.

I'm not complaining, I can totally live with that, but it seemed strange to me and I guess more casual players without any connections to Japan might be freaked out by the (by western standards) strange behaviour of the characters in the game. It actually seems to be quite the nerd-game - moreso than visual novels I've played before were already.
Well, much of the cast are nerds. Okabe and Makise are science nerds. Daru is an anime/computer nerd. Faris is a cosplay nerd. Mr. Braun is a CRT nerd. And so on.

OMG Aero

All of the endings apart from two are decided right before they happen and unless you disable it the game autosaves at the start of each chapter so you can always reload your save without having to worry about keeping your own save points throughout the game.
The other two endings require you to do various things throughout the whole game but don't worry about getting them on your first playthrough, just play the game how you want to play it and see what happens. Then if it turns out you don't get those endings you have to playthrough the game again but there is a skip feature that speeds through the game while stopping at the points where you see new dialogue or have the option to do something so if you look up a spoiler free guide of what to do it's really fast and painless to get those endings.

Omikaru

There are six "True Ending" flags that need to be triggered. It's almost impossible to find them without a guide (or lots of trial and error).

As far as hoping for a VLR model, sorry to say, but nope! Thankfully, Steins;Gate doesn't have as many branching paths as VLR. There are a lot of choices to make, but much of it is related to easter egg content (like wallpapers/ringtones for your phone). The game mostly follows a single thread that has a few deviations before going back onto the main path again.

There are a few parts where the game forks, but those mostly lead to endings very quickly and even if you didn't save at the point where the decision was made, the game quicksaves at the start of every chapter so you can just rush through it to the point where the story deviated last time using the skip function (it is smart, and knows when to stop at important moments).

Really, the only time where you will be doing a 999-style retread from (almost) the beginning of the game is if you're out to unlock the true ending flag, or you're trophy hunting and want to get every last wallpaper/ringtone/CG and so on.

Yoshi

All of the endings apart from two are decided right before they happen and unless you disable it the game autosaves at the start of each chapter so you can always reload your save without having to worry about keeping your own save points throughout the game.
The other two endings require you to do various things throughout the whole game but don't worry about getting them on your first playthrough, just play the game how you want to play it and see what happens. Then if it turns out you don't get those endings you have to playthrough the game again but there is a skip feature that speeds through the game while stopping at the points where you see new dialogue or have the option to do something so if you look up a spoiler free guide of what to do it's really fast and painless to get those endings.

So I won't have to click through hours of known text just to get to the remaining endings then? I'm relieved!

@Omikaru: I'm not interested in ring tones, but I certainly want to see the true conclusion of the story.

cj_iwakura

So I won't have to click through hours of known text just to get to the remaining endings then? I'm relieved!

@Omikaru: I'm not interested in ring tones, but I certainly want to see the true conclusion of the story.

Heh, Okabe's default ring tone(Village) has been mine ever since I played it.

Omikaru

Nope, no clicking through hours. Just press "Skip" and it'll do all that for you. And if you make different choices at one point or another and the game takes you off in a slightly different direction, it will stop at text/scenes you've not seen before. It works really well!

There is a 100% completion flowchart you can follow that I personally found frustrating, but it highlights all the True Ending flags. The trophy guide I'm following has also had me going around unlocking ringtones and so on to get trophies, but it's relatively simple to identify and skip much of that stuff, and I've personally given some of it a miss and just got on with the story stuff. Though I did skip the "true ending" flag where it told me to (
Chapter 4
) and instead I just saved at that point so I will reload and rush through it once I've unlocked all the other endings that I can on my current path.

Personally I prefer the step-by-step guide (I irrationally hate flowcharts), but other people prefer the abstract flowchart where they can see everything visually.

Yoshi

As a computer scientist I have no problems with flow charts, but this seems a bit convoluted. I guess I'll just play through the game once, take a look at the flow chart and the trophy guide and then decide which one seems simpler. Reading any of this in advance probably puts me at risk of spoiling the story, which would suck for a visual novel.

cj_iwakura

As a computer scientist I have no problems with flow charts, but this seems a bit convoluted. I guess I'll just play through the game once, take a look at the flow chart and the trophy guide and then decide which one seems simpler. Reading any of this in advance probably puts me at risk of spoiling the story, which would suck for a visual novel.

There's no need to stress it,play at your own pace and you'll see 90% of the content. If you miss the true end, you can easily blitz the main game in a matter of minutes to get what you need.

BTA

I finally finished Chaos;Head and I'm even more hyped for this! I want a break before I play another VN so I'll be waiting for the physical US release, but it's gonna be hard; every time this OT pops up on the first page I get a little jealous.

(And I guess I'd no longer be disappointed if they bring over Noah as their next release; though it took a good
chapters for shit to hit the fan, once it I did I was totally sold on reading more of that game, and I'm no longer reluctant about replaying for those new endings. I really hope Steins does well and we finally get the rest of these games in English officially!)

I'd just like to confirm one thing, though: are any of Steins;Gate's endings as annoying to get as Chaos;Head's B ending? Because that was pretty annoying to get; carefully waiting through all the autoskipping, which would skip through the choice points, to make very specific choices with no clear reason as why those were relevant beyond the guide I was reading was pretty draining and a bit of a waste of time.

I'd just like to confirm one thing, though: are any of Steins;Gate's endings as annoying to get as Chaos;Head's B ending? Because that was pretty annoying to get; carefully waiting through all the autoskipping, which would skip through the choice points, to make very specific choices with no clear reason as why those were relevant beyond the guide I was reading was pretty draining and a bit of a waste of time.

Not even remotely. S:G's skip function stops at any decision points and there's nothing nearly as convoluted as Chaos:Head's B ending.

I think I heard somewhere that autoskipping decision points was a bug in the translation patch or something. Also, the reason to make those certain choices was simply
Whose eyes are those eyes?

Whoa, the moment you know you're on the True route is so awesome
with the credits rolling back.

It's a good thing I checked this spoiler the other day...

I went and got all the true ending flags, reached the credits and after 10 seconds thought that I'd missed something and just got the fake ending again so I simply switched the game off.
Only afterwards did I see this post and just went back to truly finish things today.

Prelude.

It's a good thing I checked this spoiler the other day...

I went and got all the true ending flags, reached the credits and after 10 seconds thought that I'd missed something and just got the fake ending again so I simply switched the game off.
Only afterwards did I see this post and just went back to truly finish things today.

You didn't notice
the different song?

Jazzem

Funnily enough, I had a strangely opposite thing with the true ending reveal:
after getting the Mayuri ending, I was following a guide haphazardly to get the true ending. As the credits rolled, I was so shocked at how sad it was that I questioned whether I had followed the guide correctly, or if it would really end so bittersweet...

...needless to say, when it started to rewind I laughed hysterically :p Such a great moment, and I'm glad I got to experience it as a proper stinger. However, I thought I should go back and get the Kirisu ending, which I didn't realize was just the true one cut short.

As such, I went back through chapters 7-10, making sure to miss a few true ending flags. When the credits started to roll, I turned the system off thinking I had done something wrong! It's only because I'd played other visual novels with true endings cut short that I thought to try it again :p

In any case, I absolutely adored Steins; Gate. I'm so happy it got localized with an excellent translation and that it was released for Vita, as these visual novels are a perfect fit for handhelds. Even with the slow opening hours and Okabe's 'chuunibyou' tendencies grating at first, the payoff was so spectacular that it's become one of my favourite narratives of any medium in recent years. Such a spectacular journey, I just hope I can convince some friends to play it, or at least watch the show.

Speaking of which, I'm of course going to watch the anime next, though I hear it condenses quite a bit of the VN's material? Will still be a treat to see a lot of key scenes animated, though I'll miss the gorgeous detail of the character portraits.

So, Had one ending. To get others i should just use R and it will stop skip only for important choices ? Will it auto open emails with a story-trigger ?

So, Had one ending. To get others i should just use R and it will stop skip only for important choices ? Will it auto open emails with a story-trigger ?

With control type A, use Start to skip, or with control type B, use R. Under the default settings, it will stop whenever you receive an email (that doesn't open automatically as part of the story), a phone choice comes up, or you reach text you haven't read yet. The main annoying part is getting all those mails from Moeka that you can choose whether to open or ignore.

BTA

I think I heard somewhere that autoskipping decision points was a bug in the translation patch or something. Also, the reason to make those certain choices was simply
Whose eyes are those eyes?

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a bug, but the skipping was annoying regardless. Glad to hear that there's nothing like that in Steins.

Also, I somehow only just remembered that Huke did the art for this thanks to posts earlier in the thread. I actually have an art book of his thanks to being sorta into BRS way back when; it'll be interesting to look at the art from this in it with an actual connection to the game in mind.

Speaking of which, I'm of course going to watch the anime next, though I hear it condenses quite a bit of the VN's material? Will still be a treat to see a lot of key scenes animated, though I'll miss the gorgeous detail of the character portraits.

Yeah, the art is a huge step down from the VN and unfortunately the White Fox adaptation is just ugly all around.

Top Bottom