• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Bittercup

Chapter 8 is actually boring the hell out of me, so tired of playing a dating sim.
While I like the science and conspiracy parts of the game I think it's good,
that some of the later chapters focus on the characters instead and what impact the whole changing world-lines has on their lives and the impact when reversing. I don't feel that dating was actually a major topic in the game. It's just there mainly in Faris and Luka's chapters and there more like a frame for the actual themes.

TheChaos0

Re chapter 10, still got 2 more endings but something bothers me.

Why does deleting the IBN 5100's database in the present has any effect on the timeline? I also thought SERN knew about Okabe pretty much immediatly, I thought they would need to figure out how to delete the message/database pretty much straight after it was sent.

Of course, this could be explained the idea that SERN or someone else from the future have been messing with the timeline in this time or in the past. We already have Suzuha, for example. So deleting database now would mean SERN never completes their time machine and Suzuha would never travel in time and would never aquire IBN 5100, Okabe would never find it...that would be a paradox. So the timeline gets reconstructed.

Re chapter 10, still got 2 more endings but something bothers me.

Why does deleting the IBN 5100's database in the present has any effect on the timeline? I also thought SERN knew about Okabe pretty much immediatly, I thought they would need to figure out how to delete the message/database pretty much straight after it was sent.

Of course, this could be explained the idea that SERN or someone else from the future have been messing with the timeline in this time or in the past. We already have Suzuha, for example. So deleting database now would mean SERN never completes their time machine and Suzuha would never travel in time and would never aquire IBN 5100, Okabe would never find it...that would be a paradox. So the timeline gets reconstructed.
One of the endings will explain
what happens when they delete the message. I haven't seen the ending in the game yet, but it shows what happens in the anime.

Finished it an hour ago (true ending)

It was definitely a good and enjoyable game yet I still think that the first 5 chapters (some great plot aspects aside) are poorly paced and relatively weak. I can definitely see people giving up on the game because of that.

The true route was on the edge of sanity but unlike Danganronpa and 999, it still remained relatively down to earth and wasn't so heavy on the mindfuck. Actually, I was rather impressed that the game does not celebrate its twists with a huge fanfare.

It is incredibly carefully written. There are stereotypes sure, but they are all self-aware and I was impressed how well the game handles rather difficult topics such as transgender. Plus it remains interesting while not relying on cheap mindfuck twists like the other localized VNs (yeah I was always let down by how ober the top they became towards the end)

Pacing issues and Faris aside (what an awful annoying character), it was a cool and interesting game. The last scene of the true ending was touching.

Question about getting the endings...
So I have the Kurisu and true ending left. Can I just use the skip function to get to the emails and calls that I need to get the correct ending? Or will that cause me to miss stuff?

OMG Aero

Question about getting the endings...
So I have the Kurisu and true ending left. Can I just use the skip function to get to the emails and calls that I need to get the correct ending? Or will that cause me to miss stuff?
Yes, by default skip mode stops whenever you get to text you haven't seen before or you get a message or call to your phone you can reply to.

I'm trying to get platinum and am wondering if I could get some help. According to the trophy scree in the game I have 99.04% of CGs, 38.46% of RaiNet episodes and 50% of the songs. Is there anyway to tell which ones I'm missing?

Bittercup

I'm trying to get platinum and am wondering if I could get some help. According to the trophy scree in the game I have 99.04% of CGs, 38.46% of RaiNet episodes and 50% of the songs. Is there anyway to tell which ones I'm missing?
I don't think so. I followed this guide:
http://steins-gate.wikia.com/wiki/Steins;Gate_100%_Completion_Walkthrough
Just save when the path splits so you don't have to replay whole chapters and skip through the game until you have all of them.

OMG Aero

You can check your CGs in the menu after finishing the game once can't you?
I don't think there's any way of telling with the rainet summaries and songs (you could check which songs you have in your phone since those are saved like wallpapers, but I don't know if there's a list anywhere of which texts give what songs) but just to give you a pre-emptive heads up when you do try to get the rainet summaries and songs, you are sometimes sent multiple summaries/songs in one text and unless you actually look at the other attachments it doesn't count as you getting them.

I didn't realise this was the case and had to repeat chapters multiple times because whenever I read through a summary or listened to a song, I pressed circle to back out when what you have to do is press X which will open the next summary/song if you have been sent more than one and there is no indication if you are sent multiple attachments at once.

saturnine

I'm pondering getting a Lab Member Edition from Rice. Did anyone got one? Do you have to enter the t-shirt size as a coupon code or something ? Not used to those multiple-choice purchase.

Zalman

I got my first ending.

Irreversible Reboot (the one where Okabe goes back in time with Suzuha). That was such an abrupt ending, I was so surprised to see the credits.
This game constantly has me on the edge of my seat. Can't wait to see the other endings too.

quabba

Got my first ending tonight,
mayuri
. No idea how to trigger the true ending though.

Are there any hints to get it or is it so obtuse you won't find it without the flowchart?

Reloading my saves to get a few of the endings that I think I know how to get.

I definitely enjoyed the story, despite the pacing. It hasn't been as fantastic as I was led to believe but I feel like it hasn't paid off unless I get that true ending.

Jakku

Got my first ending tonight,
mayuri
. No idea how to trigger the true ending though.

Are there any hints to get it or is it so obtuse you won't find it without the flowchart

None. There's honestly no chance that you'll accidentaly come across it. There's so many messages you need to answer in a certain way, and if you give ONE text that's wrong, you can't get it, I just looked it up.

If you're interested in seeing the other endings, I heavily recommend making a save everytime
you're asked if you want to send a message or not in the later chapters as you're going through to the true ending. Each time they branch in to a different ending which is about an hourish long, and I mainly recommend it because I absolutely adored Suzuha's, it was wonderfully bitter sweet

quabba

None. There's honestly no chance that you'll accidentaly come across it. There's so many messages you need to answer in a certain way, and if you give ONE text that's wrong, you can't get it, I just looked it up.

If you're interested in seeing the other endings, I heavily recommend making a save everytime
you're asked if you want to send a message or not in the later chapters as you're going through to the true ending. Each time they branch in to a different ending which is about an hourish long, and I mainly recommend it because I absolutely adored Suzuha's, it was wonderfully bitter sweet

Hmm ok ill just use a guide then. Im currently going down the
faris
ending and I made saves at all the choices I think... I'm guessing it's best to get the other endings first and finish off at the true ending.

You can check your CGs in the menu after finishing the game once can't you?
I don't think there's any way of telling with the rainet summaries and songs (you could check which songs you have in your phone since those are saved like wallpapers, but I don't know if there's a list anywhere of which texts give what songs) but just to give you a pre-emptive heads up when you do try to get the rainet summaries and songs, you are sometimes sent multiple summaries/songs in one text and unless you actually look at the other attachments it doesn't count as you getting them.

I didn't realise this was the case and had to repeat chapters multiple times because whenever I read through a summary or listened to a song, I pressed circle to back out when what you have to do is press X which will open the next summary/song if you have been sent more than one and there is no indication if you are sent multiple attachments at once.
Ah crap... Ok. I probably pressed circle to back out.

Just got mine delivered in the mail....looking forward to playing it...Anything I should expect? any tips?

CI1A5b1WUAAJrIC.jpg

Bittercup

Just got mine delivered in the mail....looking forward to playing it...Anything I should expect? any tips?
Just go in blind. That's the best way to approach the game.
One thing though that I had missed the first time because the story progresses for the most parts on its own: When the main character wonders whether he should make a call/send a mail or not, that's usually meant as a decision for the player what you want to do. Not doing anything is a valid choice as well. Same thing when people call you. You can answer the phone but you don't always have to.

Any chance the side games will ever be released in English?

I'd say there's definitely a chance, considering how well this one is being received. Timeframe, on the other hand? No idea. I'd say it's looking more likely that we'll be getting more main games from the series for now, which I have absolutely no complaint with.

I'd say there's definitely a chance, considering how well this one is being received. Timeframe, on the other hand? No idea. I'd say it's looking more likely that we'll be getting more main games from the series for now, which I have absolutely no complaint with.
By main games do you mean Chaos;Head, Chaos;Child and Robotic;Notes?

i'm contemplating to buy the anime. Is it worth it? After all, I know the complete story but I'm still kind of interested to see everything in motion.

Oh...has it the same pacing issues?

StereoVsn

i'm contemplating to buy the anime. Is it worth it? After all, I know the complete story but I'm still kind of interested to see everything in motion.

Anime is very good but the first few episodes do have a slow start.

So is pre-order available yet on Best Buy or Amazon?

Scavenger

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the anime adaptation isn't good. The VN has its slow moments, but I think the anime goes way too fast and lacks the emotional impact of the VN. Maybe bumping the episode count up from 24 to 30 would have made the anime better, but series of 30 eps are pretty much non-existent in the anime industry.

jiggles

Banned
I've been playing this for what feels like forever.

I got my first ending last night:

Where Faris is your girlfriend and nobody else knows you. The game really seems to go out of its way to make me love it and hate it in equal measure. Imagine that was where I stopped playing. Just fucking imagine it.

Trying to save Mayuri, Suzuha goes back in time to get us a IBN5100, so I just say fuck it, go to a card battle tournament to see some punks take on my cosplaying cat friend, things escalate at a ludicrous rate and then I jump to being her amnesiac boyfriend and shrug. Credits roll.

I only stopped her from sending her DMail because I couldn't understand why the fuck I'm undoing everyone else's changes before going straight to Moeka, who is not only the prime suspect for foiling my plans, but has been so blatantly the reason the IBN has gone missing since she sent the DMail.

I also worked two of Suzuha's twists well in advance (she came from the "satellite" time machine and Daru was her father), so I was a little disappointed in having to wait for the story to catch up there.

But yeah, I hate these kinds of "alternate endings" that are basically just 15-minute long game over screens. It's less of a "what if" and more like reader promply closing the book 10 chapters from the end and spouting whatever idea first pops in to their head before declaring "the end". I see there's 5 more to get and I hope they're better thought-out and conclusive than what happened in this one.

But I'm not even sure how to go back if I missed one. It was just by chance I saved just before that last decision, as I've only been saving once every 3 hours or so. Worried I might end up stuck having to replay from the very beginning.

OMG Aero

I was thinking that I'd get the true ending done tonight but it seems to be a lot substantial than I thought it would be.
I really love
the fake out they do with the credits though.

saunderez

But I'm not even sure how to go back if I missed one. It was just by chance I saved just before that last decision, as I've only been saving once every 3 hours or so. Worried I might end up stuck having to replay from the very beginning.

The game quick saves at the start of every chapter. You only have to go back a few chapters to get the 4 obvious endings.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm thinking of maybe important this, because it won't release physically here in Germany, however I'm still a bit unsure because I cannot find out much about the gameplay without risking getting spoiled. I really love science-fiction (but I mean political, social and scientific stuff akin to Star Trek for instance, not action like Star Wars or Voyager) and I love Virtue's Last Reward, so story-wise I guess I should like it?

But how's the gameplay, what do you do in the game besides the reading? Do you solve puzzles? I fear there might be romance / social life stuff ala Danganronpa, Fire Emblem Awakening, or, worse, Persona in it? Of the visual novels I've played over the last few years my ranking would be:
1. Virtue's Last Reward
2. Ace Attorney series
3. Danganronpa 2
4. 999
5. Danganronpa
Should I expect something similar to any of those gameplay-wise?

Zhao_Yun

I'm thinking of maybe important this, because it won't release physically here in Germany, however I'm still a bit unsure because I cannot find out much about the gameplay without risking getting spoiled. I really love science-fiction (but I mean political, social and scientific stuff akin to Star Trek for instance, not action like Star Wars or Voyager) and I love Virtue's Last Reward, so story-wise I guess I should like it?

But how's the gameplay, what do you do in the game besides the reading? Do you solve puzzles? I fear there might be romance / social life stuff ala Danganronpa, Fire Emblem Awakening, or, worse, Persona in it? Of the visual novels I've played over the last few years my ranking would be:
1. Virtue's Last Reward
2. Ace Attorney series
3. Danganronpa 2
4. 999
5. Danganronpa
Should I expect something similar to any of those gameplay-wise?

Of all the titles you've mentioned Steins;Gate definitely has the lowest amount of "gameplay". For the most part it consists of reading the text. Sometimes you will have the opportunity to answer phone calls or reply to mails from your friends and that's basically it. At certain points you will be able to make certain choices but I won't tell how the game does it to prevent spoilers. There are no puzzles in this game at all.
While romance is present in the story, it is not similar to FE:A or Persona at all.
I'd just give it a try especially since you said you like the scientific aspect of science-fiction.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Of all the titles you've mentioned Steins;Gate definitely has the lowest amount of "gameplay". For the most part it consists of reading the text. Sometimes you will have the opportunity to answer phone calls or reply to mails from your friends and that's basically it. At certain points you will be able to make certain choices but I won't tell how the game does it to prevent spoilers. There are no puzzles in this game at all.
While romance is present in the story, it is not similar to FE:A or Persona at all.
I'd just give it a try especially since you said you like the scientific aspect of science-fiction.

Well, less gameplay is better than shit gameplay, I was fearing simulation-like interactive romance stuff. Some romance stuff in the story (if it's not too intrusive) I can live with if I have to...

Did anyone that ordered from GAME still haven't received their copies yet?

Got mine from GAME and they somehow gave me the LE version which surprised me.

Game itself i am instantly hooked. The story seems very interesting and i think i am roughly half way through chapter 1.

Has anything been announced yet at Anime Expo? Hoping for Steins;Gate 0 game and anime coming to the US. Also wouldn't mind announcements that the other Science Adventure games are coming to the US too.

OMG Aero

Last night I got the true ending and man I enjoyed my time with this game.
It took a really long time to get going but once it did I was hooked until the end, I think one of my favourite things was how they developed Okabe as a character.
He's incredibly annoying at the start of the game with his dumb delusions and comes off as an extremely unlikeable character, but when you make your way through the game you realise that he doesn't actually believe what he's saying and it's just a mask to make Mayuri (and others) happy, then when Mayuri dies for the first time he pretty much drops the act and becomes way more likeable. By the end of the game you know what Okabe is actually like and instead of being annoying it's great when he actually goes into Hououin mode again.

There's one thing I still don't get though even after getting all the endings and I can't tell if it's a plot hole or if I'm just missing something,
I don't understand how using the IBN 5100 to delete the first D-Mail from SERN's servers causes the word line to change. By that point SERN are already aware of the Phonewave and it's not like they are stopping the D-Mail being picked up by SERN in the first place, they are just deleting the record they have of it. Is the implication supposed to be that even though SERN's computers picked up the D-Mail no-one actually sees it until the day that Moeka's raid happens, so as long as the D-Mail is deleted before then no-one at SERN even realises the D-Mail has been there for a month and half?
I'm kind of bummed now that I've finished the game and it's all over, so I guess I'll give it a few days then crack into this:
Hopefully Steins;Gate 0 gets localised too, but when I was looking for some news on that I saw some internet comments that said it's apparently set after
the Kurisu ending and not the true ending which would be really disappointing if true

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else running into bugs that stop you from receiving important messages that are required to get the true ending? In chapter 8 (not sure this is a spoiler, but I'll spoiler tag it anyway)
I need to get two messages from Kurisu that triggers the fourth True Ending Flag, but the problemi is, I never receive the second message. I've tried reloading and resetting the game but nothing works. Are there any solutions to this problem? I'm playing on PS3 BTW.

Zalman

Is anyone else running into bugs that stop you from receiving important messages that are required to get the true ending? In chapter 8 (not sure this is a spoiler, but I'll spoiler tag it anyway)
I need to get two messages from Kurisu that triggers the fourth True Ending Flag, but the problemi is, I never receive the second message. I've tried reloading and resetting the game but nothing works. Are there any solutions to this problem? I'm playing on PS3 BTW.
Try opening the message as soon as you receive it. This can be a bit difficult when you're using the skip feature, but if I remember correctly it's important to open them in a timely matter.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Try opening the message as soon as you receive it. This can be a bit difficult when you're using the skip feature, but if I remember correctly it's important to open them in a timely matter.

Yeah, I tried that. Unfortunately it didn't work. The only way I might be able to get around the problem is by restarting the game with a fresh save, but there's no guarantee that will work so I'm a bit reluctant.

TheChaos0

I've finally got through all the ending. A great VN but pacing is a bit uneven. Anyway, true ending.

No big twist but everything is pretty logical, however I though he would have to take it much further to deceive the world. I suppose Okabe did not observe any news about Kirisu dying, I'll let slide but it could have been interesting. It would take more preparation though and involvement of other lab mems, which I thought would happen. I also thought that saving Kirisu would not diverge the world enough, the thesis had to be destroyed but I thought the timeline would resist a bit more.

However some questions remain. Future Okabe said that the divergence for Steins;Gate would have to be -0.8% yet the meter read 1.1%. So did they reach it or not, my gut says they did not based on everything that happened before. I feel like Okabe still dies in 15 years and there's still a world changing incident in the future. All that has changed is avertion of time travel technology.

Why did Okabe had that fever when he was a child. I felt like this was the reason for his abnormally power Reading Steiner.

What were the two nightmares were about? Were they just regular nightmares. Kirisu's one seemed to foreshadow his failure to change the timeline (might be misremembering things) and Mayuri's one implied of outside interference. This of course could have been the fate of Okabe from the original timeline? Seems like a risky way to erase a person though.

Stardust Handshake. Okabe was going to ask why Mayuri kept doing it but he never did. Even if it was her otaku thing, strange that she never got a chance to explain.

Why did Mr Braun join the Rounders. Saying that it was "complicated", only invites an explaination.

Why is he still an owner of the building? Since Suzu never travelled back in time, she never would own the house and never help Mr Braun... Is it just the convergence at work?

Finally what will Steins;gate 0 be about? 0 as a prequel or 0 for 0%th convergence?

Top Bottom