• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

ultra7k

Just noticed in some guides there were emails that I should have been able to respond to, but I wasn't able to? Like, the option simply wasn't there. Is that normal?

Just noticed in some guides there were emails that I should have been able to respond to, but I wasn't able to? Like, the option simply wasn't there. Is that normal?

I had this several times. I think it's because you're too late for the reply, try to reply the moment you get the mail.

Anyway, I got all the ending yesterday! It was a very pleasant ride for sure, but I would like to send a D-Mail to myself 1 year ago to prevent me from watching the anime first. A lot of the surprise from the true end route was ruined because of that...

Time to clean that trophy list ! Should be quick.

Well it's pretty obvious Chaos:Head is coming.
kbxihZN.png

Jakku

Reading Steiner is an extremely good source, and I mean, it does make sense. I'm very curious to see how Chaos;Head is received by a western audience, because not only was the anime adaptation for it bad, but the themes and pretty much everything about it is much harder to get in to for a westerner compared to Steins;Gate.

hamchan

Reached up to chapter 10 where you choose whether you go down the True route or not. The chances of reaching this route without a guide must be super duper low with how many choices you get in some of the mails.

Prelude.

Reached up to chapter 10 where you choose whether you go down the True route or not. The chances of reaching this route without a guide must be super duper low with how many choices you get in some of the mails.

Even if this was my second playthrough I got 0 true ending flags on my first "blind" run.

Reading Steiner is an extremely good source, and I mean, it does make sense. I'm very curious to see how Chaos;Head is received by a western audience, because not only was the anime adaptation for it bad, but the themes and pretty much everything about it is much harder to get in to for a westerner compared to Steins;Gate.
Please buy C;H everyone, I want to play R;N.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah the only spin-off I want at this point is Steins;Gate 0, but I'd take them of course but I'd prefer full game titles instead like C;H or something that isn't translated yet like Robotic;Notes Elite or Chaos;Child.

The Steins;Gate spinoffs are of pretty shaky quality, everyone beyond the original VN hasn't been very good. I'd rather just get more Science Adventure games.
Oh, I didn't realize that they weren't good. If that's the case, bring on Robotic;Notes and Chaos;Head/Child.
Though I'd really like if Steins;Gate 0 was released close to the Japanese release. I don't want to wait another 5 years to play it.

Oh, I didn't realize that they weren't good. If that's the case, bring on Robotic;Notes and Chaos;Head/Child.
Though I'd really like if Steins;Gate 0 was released close to the Japanese release. I don't want to wait another 5 years to play it.

I'd like to read Steins;Gate 0 too, I'm just hesitant based on the quality of Steins:Gate spinoffs available in English so far. Though a lot of that is tainted by White Fox's animation.

Jakku

I'd like to read Steins;Gate 0 too, I'm just hesitant based on the quality of Steins:Gate spinoffs available in English so far. Though a lot of that is tainted by White Fox's animation.

From what I've seen it's VERY closely following the Epigraph Trilogy, which is a series of novels/manga/drama CDs following the Beta Line, and they're supposedly pretty good, so I'm holding out hope. I enjoyed what I read of the manga, the quality is leaps and bounds better than the manga that followed Suzuha, which looked like it was drawn by an amateur.

hamchan

Finished it.

Is this one of the best time travel stories of modern times? Everything was so well thought out. Nearly every character had good character development. There were so many touching moments in this story. So many mind blowing moments in it. Everything paid off and was satisfying.

I loved the pacing with the first half of the game being a mostly slow, comedic build up, and then the turning point turns it into a non-stop roller coaster thrill ride.

Wow I love this game so much I feel like watching the anime to experience the story again in a different way.

Jakku

I loved the pacing with the first half of the game being a mostly slow, comedic build up, and then the turning point turns it into a non-stop roller coaster thrill ride.

I'm glad you think so. A common complaint is how slow the start is from a pacing point of view in both the anime and the game itself. But would the second half be half as effective without the slow slice of life build up as you get attached to everyone? Absolutely not.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Found the anime version to be absolutely BORING. I couldn't even bring myself to watch the final episode (yes, I stopped one episode before it ended) because I just couldn't bring myself to care about anyone. I'm guessing the game is the same situation as S;G to which it's better than the anime due to going into more detail?

Jakku

I'm guessing the game is the same situation as S;G to which it's better than the anime due to going into more detail?

Well the difference is the Steins;Gate anime is very decent even if you'd never heard of or cared for the game, the Chaos Head anime is just bad full stop. The game itself is an acquired taste though, it's much less grounded.

Zhao_Yun

Also watched the Chaos;Head Anime and was bored to hell. I heard that the VN is supposed to be much better though so I'd definitely buy a Vita version of it.

zadig

Neo Member
I've been reading this thread enviously, but finally gave in and ordered a copy. :D Can't wait till it gets here (in 1+ weeks). Though I probably shouldn't have watched the anime when I first heard this was getting a localization. Hopefully it'll mean I'll be able to navigate through the story to get all the endings without using a guide. :p

Flandy

Just got my first ending
Got the
Suzuhas according to the trophy data
So what do I know now? Follow a guide for the rest or something? Somebody tell me what to do :c Also a link to guide would be nice too

jonjonaug

Just got my first ending
Got the
Suzuhas according to the trophy data
So what do I know now? Follow a guide for the rest or something? Somebody tell me what to do :c Also a link to guide would be nice too
There's an indicator that should be showing up now that tells you when you can do stuff with your phone. Reload and send the D-mail to Suzuha this time.
Found the anime version to be absolutely BORING. I couldn't even bring myself to watch the final episode (yes, I stopped one episode before it ended) because I just couldn't bring myself to care about anyone. I'm guessing the game is the same situation as S;G to which it's better than the anime due to going into more detail?

The Chaos;Head anime is a terrible adaptation. As a game Chaos;Head isn't nearly as good as Steins;Gate (anime or game version), it lacks S;G's emotional weight and the characters are mostly pretty uninteresting, while the plot is pretty stupid. It's still entertaining and worth playing just for the delusion system that lets you screw with the protagonist's head, but don't get your hopes up for something that's on the same level.

Flandy

There's an indicator that should be showing up now that tells you when you can do stuff with your phone. Reload and send the D-mail to Suzuha this time.

Wait you mean
before the loop when he chickens out? I WAS ABLE TO PULL THE PHONE UP THEN?

jonjonaug

Wait you mean
before the loop when he chickens out? I WAS ABLE TO PULL THE PHONE UP THEN?
Yes. There are some places before that where you would have been able to pick up the phone too, although they don't have a major impact on the story. There should be an option in the menu to stop skipping text at these points if you want to go back and look for them.

Flandy

Yes. There are some places before that where you would have been able to pick up the phone too, although they don't have a major impact on the story. There should be an option in the menu to stop skipping text at these points if you want to go back and look for them.

I did the same thing my first time, I really liked that ending.

So I have to pull the phone up when
sending the d-mail then?Will that lead me to the real ending for her route?

jonjonaug

So I have to pull the phone up when
sending the d-mail then?Will that lead me to the real ending for her route?
What you already saw was the Suzuha ending. S;G doesn't have routes, just offshoots of the main story that are about an hour long each that result in an ending.

The Chaos;Head anime is a terrible adaptation. As a game Chaos;Head isn't nearly as good as Steins;Gate (anime or game version), it lacks S;G's emotional weight and the characters are mostly pretty uninteresting, while the plot is pretty stupid. It's still entertaining and worth playing just for the delusion system that lets you screw with the protagonist's head, but don't get your hopes up for something that's on the same level.

It really comes down to taste. I've heard varying opinions on which of C;H and S;G is better, from those who have read both. I won't make a judgment myself until I've read a proper translation with the extra routes in Noah, which give more development to the characters.

Burnburn

Just finished the game and I have nothing but praise for the game, well almost nothing but praise. Almost every second of the game was a delight, from the great opening to the true ending, I loved 99% of it. The characters were so well written, the interactions between them were so delightful, I never wanted it to end. Now, it has come to an end, and I'm a little bit sad that it has ended.

I went into the game completely blind, only knowing of the phones and that time travel was involved. I thought it would be a grand adventure with "set-pieces", for lack of a better word, but I was completely wrong. This game shines in how personal it is, it's not about the big picture, it's all about the interaction between the characters and how they're all dealing with the problems they face along the way. Every character has an unique personality that makes you want to know them. I only dislike one of the characters
Kurisu's dad
and that's just because we had to dislike him. In the end, Suzuha is my favourite character and when you were
given the option to go back with her to 1975, I would've taken that as my own "canon"

I, personally, found the pacing to be very good as well, it may have started slow, but it never bothered me. It was the perfect way to set the mood, to get to know these characters, so the interactions later on actually had meaning. There have been lots of games that tried to do it, but failed or only managed to make you love 1-2 of the characters. Steins;Gate manages to make you care about all of them. Every time
I had to sacrifice someone, I couldn't, it was just too hard
. I guess you could also call this "blessing" a "curse", since I wanted to learn even more about the characters than the game provides.

One little point of critique though, I found that the music was very good, but sometimes the wrong song played at the wrong time. Some examples; the opening song suddenly playing during a scene, which didn't fit at all and made the voice acting hard to hear. Or a moment that was clearly a happy one playing a "sad" song.

I think that
Mayushii's ending
would have been the perfect true end.
It was very sad and it felt, to me, like a great conclusion to the story. Okarin fighting and fighting to save someone, fighting fate but never succeeding. That was what I thought the last half of the game was about, what complications that would bring and sometimes, you don't always get what you want. The ending we got now was a bit too sweet for me. I had teary eyes during Mayushii's ending, but in the back of my head I kept repeating "this isn't the true end, everything will be alright". Which in the end it did. I think that if Mayushii's ending was the true ending, for the first time I would've shed a tear for a video game.

Anyway, Science Adventure Team got a new fan! Think I'm going to watch the anime next. What other works of SAT are worth checking out? I've seen C;H mentioned here a few times, but it doesn't have a good translation atm I see. Which of their works, preferably official translated, is worth checking out?

Edit: Also, what did you guys choose as ringtones? I have "GATE OF STEINER" when I get called and "Reunion" when I get mailed

Omikaru

Just finished the game, got the true ending.

Perfect.

All I can really say. But I'll add a bit more:

It turned out exactly how I wanted. After bombarding me with bitter ending after bitter ending, I think creating the blank canvas world with an indeterminate future, the Steins;Gate, was the perfect way to end it.

I'm also glad that Steins;Gate 0 doesn't follow that path. It's great that we get to decide what happens in the True End, and that it isn't sullied by the commercial desire for a sequel.

Anyway, Science Adventure Team got a new fan! Think I'm going to watch the anime next. What other works of SAT are worth checking out? I've seen C;H mentioned here a few times, but it doesn't have a good translation atm I see. Which of their works, preferably official translated, is worth checking out?

Edit: Also, what did you guys choose as ringtones? I have "GATE OF STEINER" when I get called and "Reunion" when I get mailed

Sadly, there's not very much Science Adventure content that's officially translated at the moment, but we're hoping that the console release of Steins;Gate will open the floodgates. So far the only other officially translated works are the anime adaptations of Chaos;Head (which should be avoided at all costs), Steins;Gate (which is a very decent adaptation, have fun with it!), and Robotics;Notes (which was okay, but the VN is supposed to be a lot better).

It's looking likely that we'll get an official translation of Chaos;Head Noah soon, which is the updated console port of the Chaos;Head VN with a lot more content. Also, the first volume of the Steins;Gate manga is coming out next month. I'll probably be buying it to support the series, even though it's nothing spectacular. I'm hoping for some of the spin-off manga series to come over.

As far as unofficially translated works go, there are some that one of the Steins;Gate VN translators worked on. There's Steins;Gate Drama CD Gamma, which some fans made into a VN-style video presentation
and it's the closest thing to a Moeka ending we have
. I also recommend the spin-off manga, Braunian Motion of Love and Hate, which features
Mr. Braun's past as a Rounder on the Alpha world line
. And there's also a short novel, The Distant Valhalla, which takes place
on the Alpha worldline after Mayuri's death

Edit: And I also chose GATE OF STEINER for the call tone, but Easygoingness for the mail tone. And you may have realized this already, but most of the unlockable ringtones and wallpapers are Chaos;Head references.

Burnburn

Sadly, there's not very much Science Adventure content that's officially translated at the moment, but we're hoping that the console release of Steins;Gate will open the floodgates. So far the only other officially translated works are the anime adaptations of Chaos;Head (which should be avoided at all costs), Steins;Gate (which is a very decent adaptation, have fun with it!), and Robotics;Notes (which was okay, but the VN is supposed to be a lot better).

It's looking likely that we'll get an official translation of Chaos;Head Noah soon, which is the updated console port of the Chaos;Head VN with a lot more content. Also, the first volume of the Steins;Gate manga is coming out next month. I'll probably be buying it to support the series, even though it's nothing spectacular. I'm hoping for some of the spin-off manga series to come over.

As far as unofficially translated works go, there are some that one of the Steins;Gate VN translators worked on. There's Steins;Gate Drama CD Gamma, which some fans made into a VN-style video presentation
and it's the closest thing to a Moeka ending we have
. I also recommend the spin-off manga, Braunian Motion of Love and Hate, which features
Mr. Braun's past as a Rounder on the Alpha world line
. And there's also a short novel, The Distant Valhalla, which takes place
on the Alpha worldline after Mayuri's death

Edit: And I also chose GATE OF STEINER for the call tone, but Easygoingness for the mail tone. And you may have realized this already, but most of the unlockable ringtones and wallpapers are Chaos;Head references.

Very informative post, thanks! Shame there isn't much officially translated, but if C;H is getting a translation and with VN gaining popularity in the west, it's likely we'll get more! Sounds like all the animes are "food after the VN", so to speak. Going to probably check out all of the unofficial stuff you mentioned too, they sound pretty good. I wish there was a work that would continue on
Suzuha's story though, hehe
!

Oh, and I did not pick up on the wallpapers being C;H references, did they mention that in the game? I'm guessing the frog is that game's Upa (Or the Upa is this game's frog, rather).

Oh, and I did not pick up on the wallpapers being C;H references, did they mention that in the game? I'm guessing the frog is that game's Upa (Or the Upa is this game's frog, rather).

If they mention that something happened in Shibuya a year ago, it's a Chaos;Head reference, e.g. the Gero froggies being popular. Also, FES (the singer of Phantasm) is a Chaos;Head character.

Burnburn

If they mention that something happened in Shibuya a year ago, it's a Chaos;Head reference, e.g. the Gero froggies being popular. Also, FES (the singer of Phantasm) is a Chaos;Head character.

Ah, right! I'll probably get them when I play C;H later on :)

Also, I think I might have encountered a glitch, just double checked and I don't think it's supposed to happen. I triggered it by quick saving, picking a load, then previewing a song and then going back to the quick save. The song keeps playing, in my case "GATE OF STEINER" when you go back to the quick save. I'm guessing this is not a feature, right?
It's actually pretty ironic, since
I'm not supposed to have a cellphone with me, I'm in the time machine with Suzuha.

BTA

Obviously I've only played Chaos;Head and not seen it (though I'm tempted to if only see how it messes things up, given that I only have a vague knowledge of that, and I'd be interested in seeing how Inoue writes a non-Rider show) and all my knowledge of Steins;Gate (both anime and game) comes from impressions without spoilers, so what I say here should be taken with a grain of salt.

Though I think it starts very slowly and I wish they cut a lot of the fluff out, I wouldn't call it boring. There's just a lot that's teased that's only explained in the last few chapters, and waiting through that time can feel a little annoying during the scenes that feel unnecessary. I liked most of the characters, though a lot of them don't have as much time actually exploring who they are as you'd like- I'm guessing Noah's endings will help with that. There's a few characters I disliked*, but that's mostly stuff I'm thinking about in hindsight, to be honest. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot even if it took a little too long to really get going. I'm guessing I'll enjoy Steins;Gate more given how it's been talked about, though, especially as it sounds it has certain sci-fi themes/concepts I'm really really into.

*(For the sake of clarifying to those who've read it- the only ones I disliked were
Ayase and Kozue: I thought Ayase believing everything was a fantasy plot yet still being right wasn't explained well, and Kozue's whole character type is annoying in general. And I guess it never really being explained why Seto arbitrarily knew so much, given that it clearly wasn't info from her father, is a little annoying but I found her to be decent otherwise. Actually, same goes for Ayase's knowledge- I find them being told about what their Di-Swords were really hard to believe even if they were forced into getting them to have their samples taken.
)

Chaos;Head is the reverse of Steins:Gate in that the last third of it is the worst part. It was far better as an unsettling psychological thriller/mystery than when the actual answers start coming and it tries to become more of an action story.

jonjonaug

For officially translated content there's basically nothing outside of the Chaos;Head anime, Steins;Gate anime, and Robotics;Notes anime, along with a sequel OVA and film for Steins;Gate (I'm not sure if Funimation has actually released the film yet or not). Of all that content only the sequel OVA is really worth checking out, it comes with the official release of the Steins;Gate anime on home media. The Chaos;Head anime is terrible, the Steins;Gate film is horribly unnecessary and goes around in circles to pad its length but has a few fun bits, and Robotics;Notes is kind of OK I guess but there's better things you can spend your time on.

For fan translations there's the Steins;Gate 8-bit game spinoff, which is worth checking out if only for the retro style. There's also various prequel/sequel/spinoff manga of Steins;Gate that has been translated, some of it is actually pretty good. There's also various drama CDs for Steins;Gate released after the anime came out, some of them being serious and some of them being comical "what-if" scenarios that you can probably still find translations of floating around, I remember them being all on Youtube but I'm not sure if they're still there. The 8-bit game and the drama CDs are almost certainly never ever coming out officially in English, so you probably shouldn't feel guilty for digging those up if you're worried about being a dirty pirate.

Chaos;Head has a fan translation that you could still find with some digging that's 99% finished (all game text is translated and edited, but images remain untranslated). The "official" download for a release candidate version of the fan patch was pulled once JAST started licensing Nitro+ games, but that never went anywhere. I'd recommend waiting for Chaos;Head Noah though (an expanded version of Chaos;Head for consoles with character routes and other additions) rather than digging this up, since it sounds like we're getting that probably before the end of the year anyway.

As for the ringtone: Gate of Steiner was my ringtone in the game. It is also my ringtone IRL because I am a big dork.

Bittercup

Yay post arrived and I got this figure:
OhnoRaptors1316577277.jpeg

I'll get Okarin probably next month.

I used the default ringtones but switched them around since I like Village more and you get hardly any calls compared to messages.
I use Village as my actual ringtone as well.

OhnoRaptors1316577277.jpeg

I'll get Okarin probably next month.

I used the default ringtones but switched them around since I like Village more and you get hardly any calls compared to messages.
I use Village as my actual ringtone as well.

I Need this for my family of figures.
Link?

Bittercup

I Need this for my family of figures.
Link?
Since the figure is some years old she's unfortunately no longer regularly available.
Some shops like Solaris Japan or Plamoya still sell her, but for quite a collector's price. Or keep your eyes open on Mandrake (search for 牧瀬 紅莉栖) for a used model.

Best figure.

This one's pretty cool too.
I like this version as well. Would look good with Okarin together, both in lab coat.

BTA

Chaos;Head is the reverse of Steins:Gate in that the last third of it is the worst part. It was far better as an unsettling psychological thriller/mystery than when the actual answers start coming and it tries to become more of an action story.

I honesty disagree with this a lot- I found the answers to be handled pretty well compared to the questionable dripfeeding of information before then, and the buildup to them dragged on so much that it was weirdly really really satisfying for things to come together. It also completely went against what I'd expected/feared what would happen, which was nice to see, and because Takumi was so pathetic for most of it, him being forced out of it into more action scenes actually kinda worked. And I feel like most of the more unsettling stuff only begins once the answers start coming anyway. But to each their own, I guess.

And the patch I had (though I'd downloaded them years ago, so I'm not exactly sure what I have installed) did have images translated too; the only issue was parts of the opening being untranslated (I had to watch an LP on YouTube alongside it to understand what was being said) despite
the same thing in the ending being translated fine
and one specific line that I can think of being left untranslated for no clear reason in the middle of a scene.

Also, as far as figures go, I have this one from a few years ago.

Burnburn

I want it too ;_;.

---

So one thing I thought went unanswered (or maybe I haven't noticed the answer), is
the fiber cable from SERN to the future gadget lab
. How did it get there? Was it Suzuha, Mr Braun? Also,
why did they never take the Phonewave?
. At first I was thinking
that Sern wanted us to teamleap, so they could experiment with it or something. That they were studying "Reading Steiner", but nothing really came from it.

Seems like Gate of Steiner is a popular ringtone, for good reasons obviously!

Bittercup

So one thing I thought went unanswered (or maybe I haven't noticed the answer), is
that Sern wanted us to teamleap, so they could experiment with it or something. That they were studying "Reading Steiner", but nothing really came from it.
I'm not sure but my speculation is, that SERN put it there. Suzuha said they used time travel to change the past to create this dystopia.
In this world lines the team of the future gadget lab gets captured/killed and SERN gets a functional time machine. But for the creation of the time leap extention the lab needs access to SERN for the LHC. The direct connection is probably just one of the preparations SERN had to do for their plan to succeed or else the world line would be different from what they wanted. Maybe SERN would have stuck with only being able to send d-mails.
Maybe the same situation with the Phonewave (name subject to change). SERN needs to capture the scientists before they go public with their invention but probably after they invent time leap. Stealing the device would probably change the outcome or is something like with the IBN 5100, where Okarin couldn't get it in this world line no matter what, even when he knew were it was or it is just not relevant for their plan and they don't need to take it.

Jakku

For your first question
absolutely not Suzuha. I figured that while obviously being for convenience purposes for the story, that it was the very early foreshadowing on Mr.Braun being involved with SERN, as before that point he's just this shopkeeper we don't know much about besides his loyalty to his daughter.

Second
story convenience basically. They were obviously going to grab it after they've done with the lab members, but they seemed to be focused on sorting that out, then they were going to carry the equipment out.

Burnburn

*spoilers*

Even more spoilers!

I find it a bit hard to wrap my head around it, but I mean,
SERN giving them the tools so they can invent the time leap machine makes sense. But if you go so far to change the future to your liking, why would you be so sloppy as to let Okarin time-leap again and again?

They also had enough times to actually capture Okarin, but every time they choose to let him time warp. I mean, in the scenes where you run away with Mayushii there seemed to be SERN everywhere, yet when Okarin takes a shitload of time to crawl to the lab, he seems to encounter none. The whole scene seems to say that they want Okarin to time leap, but what does SERN gain from it, it only makes Okarin go the the beta line.

Maybe I'm just thinking a bit too hard about a "convenient" plot point. But I find it a bit hard to believe that
SERN would go as far as to construct a direct fiber line, so you can invent a time leap machine, but then can't capture you or the machine. Seems a bit backwards, right?

Time to take a long shower and think about it, these are things you can only grasp when you're standing under a shower.

Top Bottom