• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
By the way, I'm missing two pieces of CG, page 2, the bottomright one and page 7, the last one. Does anyone have any clues where to get them? I've got all other achievements and don't really know what to look for.

Dunan

Yoshi, have you started a new game yet? I filled that part in that way, earlier today. Very pleasant surprise!

Husker, if you're interested in the OST-plus-drama CD set, I could snag that for you. Going to Akihabara on Sunday and will be visiting the shops.

By the way, I'm missing two pieces of CG, page 2, the bottomright one and page 7, the last one. Does anyone have any clues where to get them? I've got all other achievements and don't really know what to look for.

The last one you get
after getting all the others and going into the messages section of your phone. At the very bottom is an unopened message. There you get the last CG.

Yoshi

Yoshi, have you started a new game yet? I filled that part in that way, earlier today. Very pleasant surprise!

Husker, if you're interested in the OST-plus-drama CD set, I could snag that for you. Going to Akihabara on Sunday and will be visiting the shops.

Yeah, I needed to start a new game in order to get some of the achievements. The image I'm missing (besides the final one) is the
Mayuri yellywoman

OMG Aero

Yeah, I needed to start a new game in order to get some of the achievements. The image I'm missing (besides the final one) is the
Mayuri yellywoman
You should probably spoiler tag that.
I just had a look online and you get that CG after
Mayuri gets run over by Moeka. You're given the option to call or send a mail and you get that CG if you call Luka instead of Mayuri.

Yoshi

You should probably spoiler tag that.
I just had a look online and you get that CG after
Mayuri gets run over by Moeka. You're given the option to call or send a mail and you get that CG if you call Luka instead of Mayuri.

Thank you :). All done now, nice "game" overall, though the "gameplay" really sucks and basically enforces using a guide. I wouldn't have thought the above was spoiler-worthy, because it is not really a relevant plot-point, considering I didn't even see the picture while reaching all possible endings. Nevertheless, better safe than sorry.

zadig

Neo Member
Partway through Chapter 3 now, and Moeka is still my least favourite character. I don't like her at all. :( Conversely, I don't actually mind Okarin's crazy chuuni-ness since I've already witnessed his character development in the anime.

Also, is it possible to manage Save and Quick Save files? I'd like to delete some Quick Saves. At least with Save files you can overwrite the unwanted ones, but each Quick Save goes into a new slot.

Saw the UK version was only $40 on Amazon so I went ahead and got a copy instead of waiting for the NA release.

Only an hour in but I'm enjoying it. I loved the anime so it's nice to see what it's based off of. I know I'm going to adore this and I'm excited to see all the other endings they have.

zakujanai

Also, is it possible to manage Save and Quick Save files? I'd like to delete some Quick Saves. At least with Save files you can overwrite the unwanted ones, but each Quick Save goes into a new slot.

Once you get to the last quick save file it automatically overwrites the oldest one each time you save.

edit: typos

zadig

Neo Member
Once you get to the last quick save file it automatically overwrites the oldest one reach tone you save.

Ah, okay, thanks! Seems like there's 6(?) possible pages for Quick Saves though, so it might take me a while to get there. I just dislike having unwanted save files taking up space when the Quick Save page could be just Chapter beginnings. :D;

Yoshi

By the way, there is a movie / manga follow up of the main story of the game. Can I read / watch this without spoiling upcomming Steins;Gate games for me? In general I prefer visual novels over movies / mangas, but if said story is not told in Steins;Gate Zero (the only follow-up we can hope on getting anyway, right?), I'd like to read the manga.

jonjonaug

By the way, there is a movie / manga follow up of the main story of the game. Can I read / watch this without spoiling upcomming Steins;Gate games for me? In general I prefer visual novels over movies / mangas, but if said story is not told in Steins;Gate Zero (the only follow-up we can hope on getting anyway, right?), I'd like to read the manga.

The Steins;Gate movie doesn't actually have anything to do with the other followups.

OMG Aero

I randomly decided to look at the website for Steins;Gate 0 today while looking at other games 5pb have made and it turns out today is a special day:
MBfRlot.jpg

Mandelbo

I've neglected playing this for a while, but yesterday I continued from where I left off in Chapter 4. For all of Okabe's paranoia about "the Organisation" and becoming known to CERN, he doesn't seem too bothered about who uses the
Phonewave and what they send in their D-Mails. He hands out lab memberships like candy which is clearly not a good idea. He doesn't even really know Moeka very well and still made her a member, and didn't check what she sent in her D-Mail despite her insistence on wanting to have the IBN, blindly trusting her to send what she said she would even though he has no reason to do so and Moeka's explanation obviously being a lie. Surprise surprise, it's mysteriously vanished after she sent it.
He's gonna have to realise sooner or later that things have gotten serious quicker than he thought.

This is a borderline pointless question as it's obviously subjective, but do the characters get "better" as the game progresses?

I'm still extremely early, probably 3-4 hours in, but I keep bouncing off the game whenever I approach it. More than anything else, I just can't fucking stand Rintarou. It seems that they're trying to make him an asshole in the "oh, you!" way that's supposed to be funny and kind of endearing, but he just makes my skin crawl, and it doesn't help that so far none of the other characters are particularly interesting.

I know that the plot is supposed to get crazy, and I guess I don't necessarily need to love every character if the stuff happening around them is compelling enough (I really enjoyed DR and particularly 999/VLR even though both were [mostly] filled with people who were more archetypes than fleshed-out characters), but I have a hard time sticking with stories when I actively dislike the protagonist.

zadig

Neo Member
This is a borderline pointless question as it's obviously subjective, but do the characters get "better" as the game progresses?

I'm still extremely early, probably 3-4 hours in, but I keep bouncing off the game whenever I approach it. More than anything else, I just can't fucking stand Rintarou. It seems that they're trying to make him an asshole in the "oh, you!" way that's supposed to be funny and kind of endearing, but he just makes my skin crawl, and it doesn't help that so far none of the other characters are particularly interesting.

I know that the plot is supposed to get crazy, and I guess I don't necessarily need to love every character if the stuff happening around them is compelling enough (I really enjoyed DR and particularly 999/VLR even though both were [mostly] filled with people who were more archetypes than fleshed-out characters), but I have a hard time sticking with stories when I actively dislike the protagonist.

I don't think Okarin is meant to be endearing lol. Did you read the Tips description of chuunibyou? I was under the impression he was meant to be irritating. I would say, from the anime, that Okarin becomes less annoying and more likeable as the story progresses and the viewer/player gets to see more sides of his character.

I don't think Okarin is meant to be endearing lol. Did you read the Tips description of chuunibyou? I was under the impression he was meant to be irritating.

I wouldn't agree with this. Much of his antics are played for laughs. He's meant to be a sympathetic character even early on.

zadig

Neo Member
I wouldn't agree with this. Much of his antics are played for laughs. He's meant to be a sympathetic character even early on.

I agree his antics are an act he puts on, but perhaps I'm lacking in sympathy, I don't find him sympathetic in the beginning at all. :D; I don't find chuuni behaviour anything but irritating (especially when the subject is obviously past the middle school age), so in the beginning he came across as crazy and also a bit immature to me.

I agree his antics are an act he puts on, but perhaps I'm lacking in sympathy, I don't find him sympathetic in the beginning at all. :D; I don't find chuuni behaviour anything but irritating (especially when the subject is obviously past the middle school age), so in the beginning he came across as crazy and also a bit immature to me.
He'd be irritating as hell in real life, but in the game it's mostly used in comedic scenes or to make fun of Kurisu, which I found pretty entertaining. It helps that the other characters constantly call him out for his nonsense.

hamchan

I found Hououin Kyouma funny right from the start. I don't think he's supposed to be a sympathetic character until later in the story, when the tone shifts from humorous to a super serious story.

zadig

Neo Member
He'd be irritating as hell in real life, but in the game it's mostly used in comedic scenes or to make fun of Kurisu, which I found pretty entertaining.

Yeah, it is funny. I liked how he always got ignored or cut down by Daru and Kurisu. And how Faris would take his stories and make them even more incredible. :D

Mandelbo

On Chapter 5 now, and Okarin's received
two threatening emails now. They're just about to attempt a time-leap, but I suspect things are gonna turn for the worst fairly soon. I also think that there is more to Faris than meets the eye. Is she really just playing along with Okarin, or is there some truth to her words? She's certainly one of the more mysterious characters, at least.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm having a hard time getting along with this game. I'm not a fan of most of the cast, and It also feels like you have very little agency over the plot. I'm a big fan of Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa, but that's the limit of my experience with visual novels - I wasn't expecting this to be as absolutely on rails as it is (up tho this point anyway).

I'm at the start of chapter 4 at the moment, and the only tolerable characters are Kurisu and Daru. Luka and Suzuha have barely been in it, Faris and Rintaro are irritating, and I hope there's an ending where Mayuri dies.

Mandelbo

I'm having a hard time getting along with this game. I'm not a fan of most of the cast, and It also feels like you have very little agency over the plot. I'm a big fan of Phoenix Wright and Danganronpa, but that's the limit of my experience with visual novels - I wasn't expecting this to be as absolutely on rails as it is (up tho this point anyway).

I'm at the start of chapter 4 at the moment, and the only tolerable characters are Kurisu and Daru. Luka and Suzuha have barely been in it, Faris and Rintaro are irritating, and I hope there's an ending where Mayuri dies.

You've probably made a few choices already without realising it. The game doesn't explicitly tell you when you've reached a branch in the path, iirc.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Apart from apparently trying to destroy the relationship between Luka and his father, I can't see how any responses I've given to emails up to this point could have any tangible influence on the plot.

The thing is, despite the characters, I'm actually really interested to see where this goes. The central story/concept is really interesting, I'm just worried that developments concerning the main characters are going to fall flat because I don't particularly care about them.

You've probably made a few choices already without realising it. The game doesn't explicitly tell you when you've reached a branch in the path, iirc.

With the exception of some of the emails needed for the true ending, the game telegraphs branch points really blatantly.

Apart from apparently trying to destroy the relationship between Luka and his father, I can't see how any responses I've given to emails up to this point could have any tangible influence on the plot.
At this point they haven't.

hamchan

Look forward to the rest of the game!

I wonder if anyone is planning on working on an official localized release of Steins;Gate Zero.

Or are we going to do the fan-translation dance for years again like with the original game.

Oh shit, PS4, PS3, and Vita onry at release? I didn't realize this.

Damn, Chaos;Child is also not on PC. This is an uhm interesting new strategy for 5pb.

At least there's an anime planned :(

New strategy? 5pb. has always been primarily a console developer. It was only the involvement of Nitro+ that put the original version of Chaos;Head on PC, as well as porting Steins;Gate (which was originally on Xbox 360). Since then, the role of Nitro+ has diminished.

On the other hand, the positive reception of the PS3/Vita ports of Steins;Gate might mean good things for the future of the series in the west.
Please PQube, I need that new announcement already...

On the other hand, the positive reception of the PS3/Vita ports of Steins;Gate might mean good things for the future of the series in the west.
Please PQube, I need that new announcement already...
This is what I'm hoping for. It seems to be selling well in Europe and is getting great reviews. Hopefully PQube has a nice announcement on July 28th.

ZeroX03

Banned
I finished this last week, incredible story, one of my favorite VN's. I already feel depressed, wish I can erase my memories of the game to play it again.

Interested to hear what they will announce.

Yoshi

I didn't like him much either, but I liked Suzuha and Makise. He does get a lot better though, when you learn why he acts like he does. Sadly, Myuri stays insufferable until the end and Daru is just embarassing, never funny.

Luigi87

Watched the anime for this back when it aired.
Bought the physical LE of the PC ver. last year, but never played it.

Been plaything through these last few days, a lot, and am addicted. Nice to be able to see Moeka's constant emails for one thing.

Top Bottom