• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Mista

Banned
If you can't wait, just import the European version. It works on US systems.

I was really thinking of that man but I need to learn how to wait and be patient
Apart from that im on an MGS marathon getting ready for MGSV so I guess that will make me wait?
*opens amazon uk*

Shizuka

Rice Digital has Steins;Gate (PAL) on sale, just U$32 with free worldwide shipping. Not that I'd personally recommend it if you live in a country like mine, since they don't offer a tracking code.

theeraser

I finished this game yesterday and haven't been able to get it out of my head since. Definitely the best VN I've ever played (read?). Are the other Science Adventure games of similar quality?

Shizuka

I finished this game yesterday and haven't been able to get it out of my head since. Definitely the best VN I've ever played (read?). Are the other Science Adventure games of similar quality?

Danganronpa, 999, Corpse Party. Similar, but not quite science adventure.

The only other one available in English is Chaos Head and that's not of SteinsGate quality. ChaosChild seems to have been highly received though.

Anyone know how you can delete individual save files? There's an option called called 'Lock data' on the load and save screens, but I have no idea what that means.

It's August :(

You can't delete them manually, they get deleted automatically when you reach the max amount of slots.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I wanted to have some structure to my save files and clean things up a little, but if I can't do it then oh well.

Burnburn

Been "consuming" some more Steins;Gate related media the last couple of weeks. Been using this site for information. I have done the Drama CD gamma, the anime, the movie and the "Braunian motion" manga.

The anime was okay, but not really anything new or special. The drama CD gamma was neat, as I've said somewhere before in the thread. I did not like the movie at all, it kinda just reversed Okabe and Kurisu
now Kurisu has to decide whether or not she will move on while Okabe "dies" instead of Okabe deciding to move on while Kurisu dies. Then magically everything can be solved again

I loved the Braunian Motion manga and it really fleshes out what kinda
relationship Mr Braun and Suzuha had before the events of Steins;Gate
. Not only does it flesh that out, but it also gives Suzuha and Braun more personality. I would definitely recommend reading it, I enjoyed it a bunch and you can read it in like 45 minutes.

Next up will probably be the "Rebellion of the missing ring" manga.

Shizuka

Ahw, that's too bad :(. Can you atleast still get the limited edition from somewhere else?

Not really. I could get the El Psy Kongroo edition from Rice Digital, but they don't offer tracking either and I'm not about to go through the same thing once again, except now it'd cost double the price.

That totally sucks :(

Is there anything you can do?

Ask for a refund. I've done it late last week, just waiting to get a confirmation.

Burnburn

Not really. I could get the El Psy Kongroo edition from Rice Digital, but they don't offer tracking either and I'm not about to go through the same thing once again, except now it'd cost double the price.

"Funny" story, after loving the game so much I ordered the LE from Rice digital 2 weeks ago. I also ordered Persona 4 Ultimax 7 days ago and it arrived 3 days ago, the LE has not turned up yet. I figure a LE takes more time to deliver, but the no tracking is making me a bit nervous. So yeah, not ordering there would be a wise choice, heh.

Skii

Managed to buy Steins;Gate for the Vita yesterday on Amazon. Got it today and can't wait to play it! The box art looks fantastic imo. Hoping this has a few twists similar to VLR. After all,
they do have a similar premise.

Managed to buy Steins;Gate for the Vita yesterday on Amazon. Got it today and can't wait to play it! The box art looks fantastic imo. Hoping this has a few twists similar to VLR. After all,
they do have a similar premise.
You're in for a treat! Enjoy the ride!

My wife finished the game last night. I got her started on it about a week ago, and it seems like she enjoyed it the whole way through, even the "slow" start. It was a treat to see her react to (true ending spoilers)
the credits fake out.
I love that part, so well done.

That's the true ending done, and with it the platinum. Despite the mind-numbingly tedious first couple of chapters that had me this close to prematurely ending my time with the game, I ended up really enjoying it in the end. I'm a sucker for happy endings so I really wanted the writers to linger on that final scene a little longer and have
Okabe and Kurisu embrace
, but otherwise the payoff to that route was super satisfying.

One question though...

Who sent those two threatening emails with the pictures of the jelly and doll's head? Future Okabe? Can't really make sense of that.

TheChaos0

That's the true ending done, and with it the platinum. Despite the mind-numbingly tedious first couple of chapters that had me this close to prematurely ending my time with the game, I ended up really enjoying it in the end. I'm a sucker for happy endings so I really wanted the writers to linger on that final scene a little longer and have
Okabe and Kurisu embrace
, but otherwise the payoff to that route was super satisfying.

One question though...

Who sent those two threatening emails with the pictures of the jelly and doll's head? Future Okabe? Can't really make sense of that.

I thought, it was someone from SERN, Mr Braun would be my prime suspect. Then again, it didn't make much sense for them to send those emails. They were almost saying, stop before it's too late. Whereas SERN wanted them to complete their time machine. Unless Mr Braun, if it was indeed Mr Braun wanted Okabe to stop,, almost like he was trying to keep Moeka out of it.

Prelude.

PQube pls

6758oqse.jpg

Apenheul

Acquiescence, your posts are what makes me keep playing this game. Your early impressions seem to mirror mine; actually, I'm about 9 hours into the game and I still haven't been able to 'do' anything yet, so far it's been reading dialogue which admittedly is written really well but I'm not sure how much longer I can take it.

On the other hand, time seems to fly when I'm "playing" Stein's;Gate. I usually intend to play 10 minutes before going to sleep and then the savegame tells me it's been 30 minutes or longer..

Acquiescence, your posts are what makes me keep playing this game. Your early impressions seem to mirror mine; actually, I'm about 9 hours into the game and I still haven't been able to 'do' anything yet, so far it's been reading dialogue which admittedly is written really well but I'm not sure how much longer I can take it.

On the other hand, time seems to fly when I'm "playing" Stein's;Gate. I usually intend to play 10 minutes before going to sleep and then the savegame tells me it's been 30 minutes or longer..

Well it's a pure visual novel, so you're never going to be able to 'do' anything beyond reading and making the occasional choice to dictate which direction the story heads in. Your enjoyment of the game will essentially revolve around how invested you are in the narrative. Which chapter are you on? Based on my experience, those first two chapters were almost unforgivably tedious and drawn out, but things started picking up at around chapter 3, and by chapter 5 I found it difficult to put the game down. Even going for all the different endings wasn't the chore I originally thought it would be in the end.

My advice to you would be to stick with it, just like everyone advised me to do when I was in your position. If the game is still doing nothing for you by chapter 5 then drop it.

Does each region have a different set of trophies? I wasn't patient and imported the UK ps3 version. Now I want to get the US version to support it in the US.

jschreier

Just started and am glad to hear that it picks up, because I'm also finding the first chapter tedious and the main character insufferable.

Dunan

YEjgMuy.jpg

Platinum achieved; worldline fixed. (As you can see, I have a divergence meter in my house.)

Wow, I enjoyed this game. Despite living right near Akihabara, somehow I never know what a great game this was until hearing GAF rave about it. Slow to start (and Okarin and Mayuri are insufferable), but when this game gets going (Chapter 5), it gets going.

Beautifully translated, too, and unless I just missed it, none of the credits give a translator's name.

What's the next game to get into from these creators? I can read Japanese, but would prefer to play in English if the translation is as good as this game's was. Robotics;Notes on PS3 can be had for about Y1000 (under $10) at my local used game shop, but I'd prefer the Vita. Is Chaos;Head worth playing? How about those Phenogram and Hiyoku Renri no Darling spinoffs?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Chaos;Head is pretty good but some people have issues with the end, and if you get Robotic;Notes get the Vita version it addresses some issues people had with the original release.

t26

Chaos;Head is pretty good but some people have issues with the end, and if you get Robotic;Notes get the Vita version it addresses some issues people had with the original release.

What exactly was fixed in Robotic;Notes Vita? Wasn't able to find much info

Dunan

Good to know. The Vita versions cost much more (if you think the "Square-Enix tax" is annoying, this series has it on steroids), but if they improve on the originals, I might spring for them. What specifically was wrong with the original?

As I got into S;G, I started collecting all kinds of other material (not hard to find in the used bookstores in Akihabara, the Mecca for this game) and have the Steins;Gate/Chaos;Head full-size art/settings/strategy book. C;H looked like hackneyed high school protagonist stuff, but I was intrigued by how the writers wanted to set it in Shibuya (itself hackneyed, kinda) because for computer geeks and otaku types, Shibuya is "like playing the ultimate away game"; its atmosphere and vibes leave little room for your typical Akihabara denizen.

I wouldn't mind more S;G stories so I'll probably eventually play one of those, but will probably try C;H or R;N next.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Good to know. The Vita versions cost much more (if you think the "Square-Enix tax" is annoying, this series has it on steroids), but if they improve on the originals, I might spring for them. What specifically was wrong with the original?

As I got into S;G, I started collecting all kinds of other material (not hard to find in the used bookstores in Akihabara, the Mecca for this game) and have the Steins;Gate/Chaos;Head full-size art/settings/strategy book. C;H looked like hackneyed high school protagonist stuff, but I was intrigued by how the writers wanted to set it in Shibuya (itself hackneyed, kinda) because for computer geeks and otaku types, Shibuya is "like playing the ultimate away game"; its atmosphere and vibes leave little room for your typical Akihabara denizen.

I wouldn't mind more S;G stories so I'll probably eventually play one of those, but will probably try C;H or R;N next.
Well R;N Elite fixes story construction and had parts rewritten since people found the original version of the story unsatisfying and Elite is much better in that regard.

Also Chaos;Head is mostly getting into the mind of a delusional paranoid otaku who locks themselves away. It pulls off an oppressive atmosphere really well it's not S;G levels of good but I think it's worth checking out and you might catch a few things they referenced in S;G.

Top Bottom