• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Nash announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzaku

"The greatest gift has been to be completely immersed in my passion and striving for something I loved so much -- visualizing a ladder, climbing up to my heroes," Nash wrote. "The obsession became my best friend. I talked to her, cherished her, fought with her and got knocked on my ass by her.

One of the best, went out on his shield doing what he loved.

Suns didn't do him right, man.
nashfall.gif

The 2 players getting off the bench lost them the series.

I haven't watched a NBA game since he went to the Lakers.

neCe8RT.png

Shout out to one of the best point guards ever and a certified hustler. Finessed the hell out of the Buss family.

Keep Getting Them Checks Hall of Famer

Soonri

I remember when Dirk and I were nobodies. He used to say over dinner sometimes, “How are us two stiffs gonna make it in this league?” Somehow we made something of ourselves. After all the wins and all the great times we’ve had around the world together, what really means the most to me are the late nights early in our careers when we’d go back to the Landry Center in Dallas, to play a few more games of HORSE and one-on-one. Dirk and the great city of Dallas got their championship, and I couldn’t be happier for them.

;_;

#squad

PhiLonius

What a player. One of the best to never win it all.

When he went back to Phoenix, those first few years were just some great basketball and that '7 seconds or less' offense was so fun to watch.

Lothar

Banned
This is a sad day. Such a sad way to go out having your last game be in a preseason game. Nash was my favorite sports athlete by far. He deserved a ring. He was screwed out of it many times by bullshit suspensions, horrible refs, players on his team getting injured, and mismanagement of the team.

Nash led Suns was the last time I cared about the NBA. And I cared a lot. I watched every single Suns game. I even uploaded the Suns vs Lakers and Suns vs Clippers playoff series to youtube years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYldTLslGc Game 5 part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Ed5IpSvhE Game 7 part 1

I haven't watched a single NBA game this season. There's no team or players i care about. Feel free to sell me on a team anybody.

trixx

But if he had stayed in Dallas Marc Cuban would have never had the money to sign Erick Dampier?!?
LOL sigh =/.
This. This so much. The man deserved a ring.
and Vince Carter might be next :(, i think he deserves one as well.
In the documentary Nash did with Grantland last year he had dinner with Dirk and asks him if he thinks they would have won one if he had stayed. It's an interesting watch worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VePNq-V_wxk
Thanks, this was a good watch. I also think they could have won at least once together since the trade.

Chichikov

A great player, was ridiculously fun to watch in his prime and a lock for the hall of fame.
Too bad you can't win championships playing pringlesball.

p.s.
While his MVPs weren't bad picks in and by themselves, him winning them back to back put him in a company he doesn't quite belong to.
Not hating, just saying.

Lothar

Banned
A great player, was ridiculously fun to watch in his prime and a lock for the hall of fame.

Guess you weren't watching in 2007 when they lost to the best team because of suspensions. If they had beaten that team, they would have an easy road just like the Spurs did. They lost in 2005 because Joe Johnson got injured and in 2006 because Raja Bell got injured.

p.s.
While his MVPs weren't bad picks in and by themselves, him winning them back to back put him in a company he doesn't quite belong to.

Not to people who understand what the MVP award is. Most valuable, not best player. He certainly deserves to be in a very small group for most valuable players. He did everything on those Suns teams. When he went to the bench, the leads evaporated every time.

Chichikov

Guess you weren't watching in 2007 when they lost to the best team because of suspensions. If they had beaten that team, they would have an easy road just like the Spurs did. They lost in 2005 because Joe Johnson got injured and in 2006 because Raja Bell got injured.
The series was tied 2-2 when they got suspended (for one game if you remember), people act like the Suns were dominating the Spurs and it was this forgone conclusion that they'll win the series. I mean sure, anything could've happened, and they would definitely had a better chance to beat the spurs without those suspensions, but the fact remains that the suns had the most talented team in the NBA for a good stretch in the mid aughts, and they never won a chip because Mike D'Antoni's dogmatic adherence to the SSOL bullshit and his refusal to play defense.
A decent coach would've won with that squad, Popovich would've made them a dynasty.

Not to people who understand what the MVP award is. Most valuable, not best player. He certainly deserves to be in a very small group for most valuable players. He did everything on those Suns teams. When he went to the bench, the leads evaporated every time.
Wilt, Russell, Jabbar, Malone, Bird, Magic, Jordan, Duncan, LeBron and Nash.
Not hating on Nash, I really like the guy, but he's an odd man out in this group.

shira

p.s.
Not hating, just saying.

MVP's are just something sportswriters vote on. And sportswriters are idiots.

Centerpiece of the most entertaining basketball team on this side of the '80s.

The writing was on the wall for years though, he was a shadow of himself even by the time the Lakers signed him.

Chichikov

MVP's are just something sportswriters vote on. And sportswriters are idiots.
That's true.
Though I don't think anyone was terribly robbed in '05 and '06, those were reasonable picks.

Anyway, this is just a weird historical quirk, it is what it is.

Cloudy

Banned
That's true.
Though I don't think anyone was terribly robbed in '05 and '06, those were reasonable picks.

Anyway, this is just a weird historical quirk, it is what it is.

Kobe averaged 35ppg in 06 and carried one of the worst rosters ever to the playoffs. He should have won.

It's easy to forget how good Nash really was. 2-time MVP (which is crazy), just never had the team around him to get a championship. Plus his last few years were horrible... no thanks to Kobe and Company. He might have stayed on a bit longer than he should have... I bet he really wanted a ring before he retired.

The series was tied 2-2 when they got suspended (for one game if you remember), people act like the Suns were dominating the Spurs and it was this forgone conclusion that they'll win the series. I mean sure, anything could've happened, and they would definitely had a better chance to beat the spurs without those suspensions, but the fact remains that the suns had the most talented team in the NBA for a good stretch in the mid aughts, and they never won a chip because Mike D'Antoni's dogmatic adherence to the SSOL bullshit and his refusal to play defense.
A decent coach would've won with that squad, Popovich would've made them a dynasty.

They were a slightly below average defensive team with Nash and Stoudemire playing big minutes. D'Antoni isn't a defensive genius, but the talk about how terrible he is on that end is overdone and is mostly caused by looking at points scored instead of defensive efficiency. And that roster was the perfect fit for a fast paced style. D'Antoni's fixation on a certain style screwed up his future teams, but during his Sun years it helped make for an all-time great offensive team. Winning an NBA championship takes both skill and luck, and the Suns were probably never the best team in the league during their run of great years.

Booshka

I love how both Steve Nash and Kobe basically fucked the Lakers for 2-3 years.

Jim Buss signed those contracts, it's on him for overpaying aging talent, when it was clearly time to rebuild. Steve Nash had an amazing career, and I like him as a person, but he shouldn't have been signed to a major contract with the Lakers this late in his career. He played/rehabbed his contract though, so smart on him, no hate there.

One of the Top 5 PG's All-Time imo. Although Kobe should have had MVP in 2006, even on a junky Lakers team.

Chichikov

Kobe averaged 35ppg in 06 and carried one of the worst rosters ever to the playoffs. He should have won.
Fair point, though as a counterpoint I would like to present to you that I hate the Lakers :p.
They were a slightly below average defensive team with Nash and Stoudemire playing big minutes. D'Antoni isn't a defensive genius, but the talk about how terrible he is on that end is overdone and is mostly caused by looking at points scored instead of defensive efficiency. And that roster was the perfect fit for a fast paced style. D'Antoni's fixation on a certain style screwed up his future teams, but during his Sun years it helped make for an all-time great offensive team. Winning an NBA championship takes both skill and luck, and the Suns were probably never the best team in the league during their run of great years.
There's no reason for Amare to be as bad as a defender as he is, that's on the coaching staff.
And while I generally agree that winning chips take luck, and a lot of times we write narratives after the fact (though that's part of the fun of sports if you ask me), but really, you don't think those Suns teams underachieved?
They never made the finals, only made the conference finals twice and got whooped pretty bad both times.
I don't know, what ifs are always problematic, but those teams had the tools, I honestly think with just slightly more focus on defense and dropping the SSOL bullshit (which would've made them pretty much a modern space and space team) would make Nash is retire with jewelry.

rjinaz

Not much of a basketball fan, but living in Arizona this guy made me excited for the sport. Also met him once, at his home in AZ as a security alarm respondent. Guy tipped me $100. Awesome night.

inm8num2

One of the greats. I haven't followed the NBA for quite a few years but when I was I always enjoyed watching Nash play. My friends and I used to laugh about his long, sweaty hair sticking to his cheeks. :p

Jim Buss signed those contracts, it's on him for overpaying aging talent, when it was clearly time to rebuild. Steve Nash had an amazing career, and I like him as a person, but he shouldn't have been signed to a major contract with the Lakers this late in his career. He played/rehabbed his contract though, so smart on him, no hate there.

One of the Top 5 PG's All-Time imo. Although Kobe should have had MVP in 2006, even on a junky Lakers team.

You can't even put it on Buss or Mitch IMO. You had a chance to sign Nash, who was coming off a really good season, get Dwight and keep Kobe for a 2-3 year run. Nobody expected it to fall apart the way it did. Every GM/owner in the league makes those moves if they have the chance. Kobe's 2nd extension is the regrettable one but that came a year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom