• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

I'll probably increase my stake in Amazon this month.

I have an automatic savings plan for this stock, so I have to wait 10 more days.

Is $1,000 price target reasonable?

Panera up on takeover rumors. Man I sold my shares at $237. I feel sick. Lol
Up 14% after JAB Holding announced to take them over today, damn. ^^

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Alright fuck it. sold Google and got on the Amazon wagon. Bought it for 919. Better late than never I guess.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was thinking how Tesla could break through...

Home appliances.

Their powerwall and solar tech's return on investment is in general negatively affected by poor home appliance energy efficiency. If they can get your oven, water heater, and fridge to use 1/10th of the energy they currently use, then suddenly you can be far more energy independent. Sure, potentially instead of buying two powerwalls you'd buy one, but Tesla isn't in a position to try and increase sales by relying on inefficiency, and that's not how Musk rolls. Their goal is for powerwalls to become common. If they can offer people much more energy efficient appliances then I think they would break through because it favors their powerwall/solar sales and you can still beat the competition even if people don't have either of those, they would still potentially buy the appliances.

There comes a point where things become so energy efficient that you can get off the grid outright. So cutting down on energy inefficiency raises the value of solar. Even from an infrastructure point of view this becomes interesting for the state. And Tesla, unlike a lot of home appliance producers, would have an interest in making them as energy efficient as possible, whereas right not the home appliance producers' interest is only marginal and probably often bullshit.

willow ve

I was thinking how Tesla could break through...

Home appliances.

Their powerwall and solar tech's return on investment is in general negatively affected by poor home appliance energy efficiency. If they can get your oven, water heater, and fridge to use 1/10th of the energy they currently use, then suddenly you can be far more energy independent. Sure, potentially instead of buying two powerwalls you'd buy one, but Tesla isn't in a position to try and increase sales by relying on inefficiency, and that's not how Musk rolls. Their goal is for powerwalls to become common. If they can offer people much more energy efficient appliances then I think they would break through because it favors their powerwall/solar sales and you can still beat the competition even if people don't have either of those, they would still potentially buy the appliances.

There comes a point where things become so energy efficient that you can get off the grid outright. So cutting down on energy inefficiency raises the value of solar. Even from an infrastructure point of view this becomes interesting for the state. And Tesla, unlike a lot of home appliance producers, would have an interest in making them as energy efficient as possible, whereas right not the home appliance producers' interest is only marginal and probably often bullshit.

Chasing efficiency on home appliances is not something that Tesla is likely to get into. Outside of heating and cooling the entire home there really isn't much power/money wrapped into modern appliances anyway.

Obviously these numbers vary by location - but the overall reduction percentage should still bear true.

Old fridge (1970's) cost ~$120 year to operate
New fridge cost ~$40 to operate

Old gas furnace (1980's standard) ~78% efficient
New gas furnace ~80% efficient code minimum, but most are installed between 90%-97% depending on initial funding availability

Where you can actually see a true paradigm shift is in the thermal protection of a home. If there's going to be a major breakthrough in the near future it will most likely be in insulation. If you come up with a material that is dirt cheap and offers (wild ass guess here) R10 per inch of thickness or more then you'll see heating and cooling costs plummet for single family homes. But that would involve Tesla tackling an entirely new industry and taking on major companies (which they have done with automobiles, granted, but doesn't seem like something they are likely to do).

Exterior walls are now 2-3x as insulated in most climate zones compared to the 1970s - this could go higher, but with potential considerable cost to the home builder / buyer (code mandates R19, but it's possible to do R25-R31 or more). If the code shifts to R25 or more the cost will come down as "everyone has to do it" = economy of scale.

Roof insulation is 3-5x as much as historic (some code is now R50 for roof insulation). You can get higher than R50 but at considerable cost with ever decreasing returns.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Interesting, and yeah I thought about that but was thinking that home building companies would already put pressure to innovate when it comes to it.

Maybesew

I think Tesla is more of a play on Elon Musk than their actual current or short term future businesses. The market sees the mass amount of wealth that Steve Jobs created, and are willing to bet on the next visionary. The future could be driven by any number of or combination of their businesses, whether its power walls, or cars, or anything else.

Edit: at the end of the day, the companies biggest challenges may just be how to scale. Even if they were selling a car that had the price and features to compete with a mainstream car like a honda accord or toyota camry, they simply couldn't build enough of them right now.

hurzelein

Fuckkk.... Amazon is just going down like a little bitch
Never buy at all time high :)

So I want to put around 4k in Nvidia. 5 year goal is def. above current highs (Deep Learning & AI train), short term probably going lower but don't want to wait a lot longer.
Currently at 96. 95 and 85 $ are major resistances as far as I can tell.

What is the best tactic? Buy 2k now, buy 2k more when it hits 85? I always want to wait till a stock reaches the next lowest resistance, don't buy anything, then it goes up and I'm like "Man couldn't you at least opened a small position?".

Please no "Doesn't matter when it's long-term" answers. I don't want to buy 4k now and then see it going down to 85. On the other hand buying several small positions seems unreasonable. How would a professional trader manage this?

It's not going down to 85.

The last time it dipped, it hit the floor around 90 and then recovered to 108 before another stupid analyst downgraded it.

I have a feeling that 100 will be a support level until the next earnings report, so think 95-105 and wait for May if you really want to buy on a dip. I don't expect Nvidia's next earnings report to disappoint, but the last time they smashed estimates they dropped nearly 30% before recovering 10% of that.

NVDA is a wild ride. You're either on this roller coaster long or you're risking it all on unpredictable movements. I'm no professional trader, I generally always buy and hold long. I've sat around on NVDA since it was $11 a share, so I'm content to let it do whatever on a day-to-day basis. If you're looking to make the short term quick buck, I can't help you there.

Maybesew

Never buy at all time high :)

So I want to put around 4k in Nvidia. 5 year goal is def. above current highs (Deep Learning & AI train), short term probably going lower but don't want to wait a lot longer.
Currently at 96. 95 and 85 $ are major resistances as far as I can tell.

What is the best tactic? Buy 2k now, buy 2k more when it hits 85? I always want to wait till a stock reaches the next lowest resistance, don't buy anything, then it goes up and I'm like "Man couldn't you at least opened a small position?".

Please no "Doesn't matter when it's long-term" answers. I don't want to buy 4k now and then see it going down to 85. On the other hand buying several small positions seems unreasonable. How would a professional trader manage this?

You can sell May 95 puts. Right now they are going for roughly 4.50 which makes your break even point around 90.50

wonder if anyone can help me here.

I was reading a thread about a company recently that does index stocks or ETF'S. that was totted my all the members in the thread as the best company to use to see a return on investment.

Can anyone help me with the name or thread please

willow ve

wonder if anyone can help me here.

I was reading a thread about a company recently that does index stocks or ETF'S. that was totted my all the members in the thread as the best company to use to see a return on investment.

Can anyone help me with the name or thread please

Vanguard?

Almost assuredly Vanguard. Fidelity is also liked, but Vanguard seems to be the biggest and most commonly recommended.

Europe doing well. Financials up. Just sold my insurance stock (NN Group) again. Will be back when it drops to 29 or so.

Also, PPG just increased their bid for Akzo Nobel. New one 96 euro. Current stock is at 82. Interesting to see if this one will be accepted.

Maybesew

Volatility got absolutely crushed today. I put on a few calendar spreads and took off my euro positions for a decent profit.

lots of earnings releases this week, trying to figure out how many to play

Also, PPG just increased their bid for Akzo Nobel. New one 96 euro. Current stock is at 82. Interesting to see if this one will be accepted.

lol i work for this company, judging by the way my plant is run i can't say i'd recommend buying them, granted we are busy AF tho, but production is all union which means guys can call off 2 week days a week knowing the plant will be open sunday which is guaranteed double time for them, they could be making way more money but are basically spending 1.5 extra days of pay per week for the same amount of production, if they ever can ditch the unions they would be rolling in cash

lol i work for this company, judging by the way my plant is run i can't say i'd recommend buying them, granted we are busy AF tho, but production is all union which means guys can call off 2 week days a week knowing the plant will be open sunday which is guaranteed double time for them, they could be making way more money but are basically spending 1.5 extra days of pay per week for the same amount of production, if they ever can ditch the unions they would be rolling in cash
Probably one of the reasons they want to buy them. If they can make changes to things like that, it can be a lot more profitable. But one of the key points will be guaranteeing employment, so... we'll see. I have a tiny stake in Akzo now, get a few hundred euro of the sale goes through.

Kinda regret going 100% cash about 4 months ago. Oh well, I also kinda don't regret it, trying to refinance my house in about 2 months and was not comfortable with the risk.

BeforeU

Kinda regret going 100% cash about 4 months ago. Oh well, I also kinda don't regret it, trying to refinance my house in about 2 months and was not comfortable with the risk.

Yaa it could have gone either ways. No regrets. I also liquidate 60% of my investment.

Probably one of the reasons they want to buy them. If they can make changes to things like that, it can be a lot more profitable. But one of the key points will be guaranteeing employment, so... we'll see. I have a tiny stake in Akzo now, get a few hundred euro of the sale goes through.

naw i meant i work for the other company.

3%ish growth for my folio this month, can't complain about dat

naw i meant i work for the other company.

3%ish growth for my folio this month, can't complain about dat
Strange, over here now PPG is branded as this terrible company that will cut all employees and puts profit above all else, so that is why they would be bad for Akzo. But seems the unions have a lot of power then.

I'm not doing as well. Steel down by 10% hitting me for a bit. And for some strange reason Ahold is still struggling to get back. -2% or so now. Could be worse.

BeforeU

Looking to up my TSLA stake bigly. Should I wait until next week?

I know people have been saying this forever but why do you want to increase your position? Is there even a reason for Tesla to be this high. I just dont get it.

dno_1966

I'm after some newbie advice - In Jan/Feb of this year I thought i'd give the stock market a try and purchased around £9k of shares across 12 stocks, mostly American Tech Companies. Some have done well, one has done really well (Shopify), some have barely moved and a couple have disappointed (nVidia and AMD), overall I’m up 2% which I’m happy with. Currently I’m sitting on them for a couple of weeks while they post their earnings reports and I hopefully get some dividends. But after that I feel that I need to start managing them and I’m looking for how best to go about this, specifically I have a couple of questions: -

1] Should I sell the worst performing stocks and invest that money in the best performing stocks?

2] Should I take the profit in the best performing stocks, because “nobody ever got poor making a profit”?

3] Should I leave them all be as long-term investments?

Any and all advice gratefully appreciated!

Top Bottom