• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
DKNG up 40%+ since beginning of November. Whenever a good company sells additional stock, this always happens. It falls due to dilution and then rises after earnings.

Loving my position.
Nice. KNDI at $13 now. Damn. Dumped it at $10.

Other stocks on my radar are Velodyne Lidar and Athira Pharma as longer term hold plays. Velodyne is still losing money and Athira just started.

I have GAN and losing a touch. Had a bad earnings which sunk the stock $2, but it kind of rebounded. Small cap gambling. Only got 300 shares though. Didnt want to commit to a risky play.

Last edited:
So far I've made $5,955.53 in the thinkorswim demo the last 2 months. I just don't have enough cash to start trading live. Trading in the demo is a piece of cake since they give you 200K in fake money to play around with. Below are my current open positions.
QAJzICo.jpg

ManofOne

Plus Member
So far I've made $5,955.53 in the thinkorswim demo the last 2 months. I just don't have enough cash to start trading live. Trading in the demo is a piece of cake since they give you 200K in fake money to play around with. Below are my current open positions.

Good job man. Investing is a slow game (at least for me). My advice, allocate a larger portion of your portfolio to growth and low volatility stocks. And shift it as time goes along based on the weight.

Hope you start trading real soon.

Good job man. Investing is a slow game (at least for me). My advice, allocate a larger portion of your portfolio to growth and low volatility stocks. And shift it as time goes along based on the weight.

Hope you start trading real soon.
Thanks man! That's really good advice! I'm definitely saving up to start soon. Even if can only buy 4 or 5 shares. My cousin has been trading for a while and he's doing pretty good.

ManofOne

Plus Member
The rotation away from tech into value and non tech is insane. The Russell is up 18% in 1 month. If you bought TNA (3x leverage etf), it would be up 60% since beginning of November.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On a roll. Covid meltdown? Long gone. I'm at my 2019 peak (portfolio sagged a bit in Q1 2020 then covid hit).

My portfolio has gone up every day the past 3 weeks except for 3 days. Two of them were breakeven-ish, and one bad day. Even my boring stocks are slowly creeping up.

Bailed on LI and KNDI and missed out on more, but Fisker is up 25% today. My Lightspeed POS is ATH too. LSPD getting hot. Might bail soon. But the temptation of "it's like Shopify" keeps me hanging.

I gambled on Trivago looking for a dumb rebound as this stock barely rebounded. In at $1.82 on Monday.

Took a roll of the dice on Pfizer. Its a dead kind of stock for 20 years. If this vaccine pans out, I'm just looking for a $5 pop. Nothing seems to move stock from about ~$35 so the plus side is it won't bomb to $25 or anything. They can find the cure for cancer and it won't budge. Still took a dip hoping covid vaccine hype works out..

Good thing is the general markets are trending up with a few hot ones like vaccine and EV. But most other sectors are still doing well which is good. Most people's portfolios should be trending up lately unless you got some unlucky eggs in the basket.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lucky day. One of my best days ever in the markets. And off the top of my head the better ones were weird days including a giant covid rebound day in March or April, and one huge day I had one of my stocks get bought out (Aimmune Therapeutics from $15 to $35).

ManofOne

Plus Member
Lucky day. One of my best days ever in the markets. And off the top of my head the better ones were weird days including a giant covid rebound day in March or April, and one huge day I had one of my stocks get bought out (Aimmune Therapeutics from $15 to $35).

Man, that is a weird combo of stocks. How did you screen for those? I avoided therapeutics and biotechs like the plague during COVID.

Went heavy into tech initially and then slowly rotated back into industrials, mid caps, energy etc.

Had my eye on LSPD but I never got in. I was really grateful to get into JKS and OSTK during their runs.

sobaka770

Banned

Question: what resources would you recommend for a beginner investor to learn about how to valuate and pick stocks. You seem to be trading a large variety of stocks, how do you keep up with the news?

ManofOne

Plus Member
Question: what resources would you recommend for a beginner investor to learn about how to valuate and pick stocks. You seem to be trading a large variety of stocks, how do you keep up with the news?

Putting my two cents in

So if you want for every stock you buy, the news is auto depending on your trading platform, however, you can do this. Subscribe to a site like seeking alpha, and whenever you buy a stock on your platform, add it to your portfolio on seeking alpha. You will get auto news updates on your stocks every time related or actual info is released on the stock.

Some other sites (beyond seeking alpha) to check out are

1) Finviz (best pre-market screener)
2) Market Chameleon ( LOVE THIS SITE FOR OPTIONS DATA).
3) Tip Ranks (I use this site to get report on analyst decisions).

In terms of evaluating stocks, the better one is seeking alpha imo.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man, that is a weird combo of stocks. How did you screen for those? I avoided therapeutics and biotechs like the plague during COVID.

Went heavy into tech initially and then slowly rotated back into industrials, mid caps, energy etc.

Had my eye on LSPD but I never got in. I was really grateful to get into JKS and OSTK during their runs.
Sounds absolutely stupid, but some of my best picks were from random Motley Fool stuff. Click on this shit knowing it's mostly trash and people trying to plug their own holdings, but it does give exposure to shit you'd never think of. Then I skim their trending and financials. I don't put too much into it as stocks are like 80% momentum, 20% fundamentals.

I'm kicking myself for not holding, but I got into IIPR at $30 years ago and bailed at $45 when weed stocks were rollercoastering all over the place. Its now at $150. That was during the early weed craze and ONE article I saw plugged it saying it's a good risk as its not a producer. At the time, I bailed at $45 and it paid like a $1 dividend. Now it's $150 and pays $4. My worst 20/20 hindsight kicking myself stock I can remember lately.

Trivago was a Motley Fool Value Pick (recent article), and Aimmune was from a Yahoo article that popped up in Jan saying Nestle bought a slice of the company, so I jumped in later. I didn't make a ton on it as it sunk during Covid, but made money after it got bought out.

The EV stuff is me just finally jumping in after watching them for a year or two. I remember seeing NIO go from $5 to $1.50 and KNDI dropped to around $2.50. Fisker I took the plunge since it's IPO-ish timing, it barely budged and my bro (just by luck) brought it up. So I took a dip.

Historically I've made money in markets going all the way back to the dot com crase in 1999, but I'm no Buffet. I'd say I'm modestly up in 20 years. But lately happy I rebounded hard since covid sunk everyone's portfolios and had to waste a good 6 months just to flatline back to pre-covid levels. What a waste of time. I didn't have tech so my shit had to slowly creep back. But freed up some money in the summer and have done a slew a hit and run gainers. I've never been a trader like this but in this crazy covid/momentum sentiment, it's working.

I've had bad picks. A bunch of -50% losses and around 2005 I lost close to $10,000 on a stock that dropped 90% and then got halted for good. Couldn't even dump it for 10 cents on the dollar. Fuck you Prism Brands Trust Fund. I trusted it was some kind of Taco Bell/KFC Yum Brands steady eddie. What a shitshow.

Unfortunately, I didn't catch the giant tech rebound. But congrats on anyone who got on board.

I'm tempted to get back into Grocery Outlet. It seems to ride a $35 to $45 band. Now at $37. Got in shortly after it IPOed last summer and sold at $44. It's never broke $50. The second it creeps to $45-ish it comes back down to the $30s. Not the kind of stock to day flip, but it's been predictable.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member

I never liked Motley Fools Analysts. A lot of them get it wrong but this is true for most of the industry.

EV is a safe bet regardless if Dems take the house and pass their Green Bill. Demographics already show market base transitions occurring without much legislation. Which is something excellent to see. The market always beats legislators to the punch.

Im looking closely at retail right now. EXPR, JWN, TPR, SIG, DKS, GES, LB. (mostly all I bought 2 months ago, recently sold of EXPR, GES, LB and SIG).

TPR, DKS and JWN were strong buys for me. JWN transition to online is damn near perfect. Glad I got in around 12.8. Bought stock and options both made killing. A lot of upside potential if they continue.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If any of you still think the EV train will continue, get onto EV acquisition companies. They are like holding companies whose purpose lately is to buy up small EV component/battery suppliers and ride the wave.

I rolled the dice on RMG this past week, but there's tons of them. They all some reason zoomed up the past week or two, but if think there's more room to make money on the momentum swing, check them out. Get in and get out. I;ve made great money since Labour Day doing hit and run trading. Something I've never really done, but it's working in this crazy market.

The stock market IMO is 90% momentum/sector of the day and 10% fundamentals. And I thought the dot com era 20 years ago was bad. It's just as bad now.

I'm also scoping out covid freezer companies. However, many of them have gone up already the past 6 months and some of them are huge like Thermo Fisher. I have no interest buying a stock at $450 per share ($600 cdn). There's cheaper ones like Avantor.

Most stocks I buy are under $50. I typically like ones in that $15-30 range as I feel a momentum swing gives these kinds of stock prices more room to run (leverage). Ya, Thermo at $450 can go to $900 which is the same as a $20 stock going to $40, but I feel more comfortable trying to ride a $20 stock for a run. That's just me though.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Im looking closely at retail right now. EXPR, JWN, TPR, SIG, DKS, GES, LB. (mostly all I bought 2 months ago, recently sold of EXPR, GES, LB and SIG).

TPR, DKS and JWN were strong buys for me. JWN transition to online is damn near perfect. Glad I got in around 12.8. Bought stock and options both made killing. A lot of upside potential if they continue.
Sweet trades on retailers. Looks like your Nordstrom pick was basically bottom fished at its low. Nicely done.

I don't think I've ever bought a retailer except The Bay way back and lost 25%. Thought I got in cheap at $13, trended down for years and got bought out for about $10. Waste of time on that one, so scared me off from other retailers.

With the way the net has killed off or permanently gimped retailers, it's hard to tell which will do well or rebound. Best Buy seems like one that has stood up great. I don't follow retailers, so I've never bothered trying to go for rebounds off them.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Huge short on KDNI this morning by Hindingbug research the same ppl who shorted Nikola.

This is why you have to be careful with CHINESE EV.

Here is a small sample.

• We unmasked Kandi’s “unnamed” top customers and found that almost 64% of Kandi’s last twelve months (LTM) sales have been to undisclosed related parties.
  • The company’s largest customer, representing ~55% of last twelve months (LTM) sales, shares a phone number with a Kandi subsidiary, and shared an executive with Kandi.
  • We visited the “customer”. It is based in a tiny building right next to Kandi’s factory with a sign indicating that it’s a Kandi company. The same building housed another entity used by Kandi as part of a separate fake sales scheme to collect illegitimate subsidies from the Chinese government, for which it was fined and sanctioned.
  • Kandi’s second largest customer, representing ~9% of LTM sales, was once wholly owned by the company. Its website still integrates the Kandi logo with the customer name. Export records show that 91% of the U.S. exports by the “customer” went to undisclosed related party entities based out of Kandi’s U.S. headquarters and warehouses.

https://hindenburgresearch.com/kandi/

ManofOne

Plus Member
Sweet trades on retailers. Looks like your Nordstrom pick was basically bottom fished at its low. Nicely done.

I don't think I've ever bought a retailer except The Bay way back and lost 25%. Thought I got in cheap at $13, trended down for years and got bought out for about $10. Waste of time on that one, so scared me off from other retailers.

With the way the net has killed off or permanently gimped retailers, it's hard to tell which will do well or rebound. Best Buy seems like one that has stood up great. I don't follow retailers, so I've never bothered trying to go for rebounds off them.

Yah retail took a hard hit but there are some REALLY good ones with good balance sheets.

sobaka770

Banned
Thanks for all the advice, I subscribed to a few sites, made money on Moderna, now watching Tesla putting out totally unprecedented numbers without any foundation.

Feels like I missed the party though, there were people at work that were investing in Alteryx early on when we started using it and that thing probably quadrupled since then. Oh well, better late when never.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Thanks for all the advice, I subscribed to a few sites, made money on Moderna, now watching Tesla putting out totally unprecedented numbers without any foundation.

Feels like I missed the party though, there were people at work that were investing in Alteryx early on when we started using it and that thing probably quadrupled since then. Oh well, better late when never.

Ya stocks will drop again I think the run last week was pricing in the stimulus package and so far that seems to be it. I expect the S&P 500 to end the year around 3,600 which was the Wall Street consensus.

don’t worry a buying opportunity is around the corner. Watch Georgia very closely.

Trickster

Tesla's just gonna continue going up like a rocket ship until the day it's included into the snp500 huh? Hopefully it doesn't drop to hard after that :p

sobaka770

Banned
Tesla's just gonna continue going up like a rocket ship until the day it's included into the snp500 huh? Hopefully it doesn't drop to hard after that :p

Yep just need to time the sell on this cause I don't want to hold it for 5 years when it starts to justify it's stock price. It has to fall back to something reasonable after the inclusion. But then again, this company valuation is not dependent on fundamentals, people keep shares and their faith partially in Elon and potential.

What's in Georgia apart from the Senate run-offs? As a non-american I maybe miss some stuff ...

ManofOne

Plus Member
Bought more shares of MGM and DKNG

average price of DKNG $38.4 x 15,000 shares
Average price of MGM $11.2 x 50,000 shares.

MGM I valued at $38 and DKNG $73.

Loving how online sports betting is heating up

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Door Dash is supposedly going to open at $190. No way I'm biting on that.

I made the DUMBEST move ever but made $50.

I totally forgot IPOs never trade at the opening bell. They usually trade around 11 pm. So I was double fisting work and checking stocks and bought 100 shares of DOOR at the opening bell for $96.50. Sounds right. The Door Dash IPO is supposed to trade at about $100. Got in.

DOOR is Masonite International Corporation. They make..... doors.

I didnt want to lose money, so I sold it at $97 flat. Turns out with the run up other people made the same mistake because after I sold it for $97 the stock went to $100 and then tumbled back to where it started.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Whats your opinion on newbie online gambling company GAN? I got some at $17. It ran up to $28 after it IPOed, but tumbled back down to this $15-20 mark ever since.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Whats your opinion on newbie online gambling company GAN? I got some at $17. It ran up to $28 after it IPOed, but tumbled back down to this $15-20 mark ever since.

difficult to value new iPos due cashflow issues. I never really check it out but research shows consensus based on Wall Street is around $16 dollars.

huge upside potential but I’m liking strong more established players

ManofOne

Plus Member
Good positions

good positions. Let us know how you continue to do. Start a Robin Hood account and trade with $100 or more if you want.

Door Dash IPO went to 182. Double it’s ipo price. Don’t buy now. Expect a 30% contraction from high.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Bought Nio today at $45 and a few shares of Tesla at $ 630.
Getting toasted atm. Hopefully they regain half the drop by close.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Door Dash is supposedly going to open at $190. No way I'm biting on that.

I made the DUMBEST move ever but made $50.

I totally forgot IPOs never trade at the opening bell. They usually trade around 11 pm. So I was double fisting work and checking stocks and bought 100 shares of DOOR at the opening bell for $96.50. Sounds right. The Door Dash IPO is supposed to trade at about $100. Got in.

DOOR is Masonite International Corporation. They make..... doors.

I didnt want to lose money, so I sold it at $97 flat. Turns out with the run up other people made the same mistake because after I sold it for $97 the stock went to $100 and then tumbled back to where it started.
You didn't miss out on much. Doordash (DASH) is only up 75%. :messenger_hushed:

DarkestHour

Banned

You bought $576,000 of shares of DKNG and $560,000 of MGM? Is this fake trading you're doing or straight up baller?

ManofOne

Plus Member
You didn't miss out on much. Doordash (DASH) is only up 75%. :messenger_hushed:

Yah, that IPO price was just as ridiculous as when BABA was released or Snowflake this year. Doordash looks to be a good buy for me but not at that price. I'll use my money and buy more

MSFT and ETSY.

Posting this for good measure (sold all of my NIO shares). The consensus seems to suggest a buy but I'm always skeptical of Chinese EV.

HQQujXJ.jpg

Last edited:
Good positions

good positions. Let us know how you continue to do. Start a Robin Hood account and trade with $100 or more if you want.

Door Dash IPO went to 182. Double it’s ipo price. Don’t buy now. Expect a 30% contraction from high.
Thanks man I will look into it. My cousin's husband has made over 80K in the stock market since June. But the guy is a business owner and was able to put 250K in ThinkorSwim without breaking a sweat. Below are my current demo positions. All green as grass.

HzpW9eG.jpg

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
ManofOne ManofOne January 9th will be NIO day.
They're going to be hyping their battery service program and unveiling their first sedan (the biggest seller in China) so I expect high 50's leading up to the event.
If it drops much lower you may want to consider buying back in.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Thanks man I will look into it. My cousin's husband has made over 80K in the stock market since June. But the guy is a business owner and was able to put 250K in ThinkorSwim without breaking a sweat. Below are my current demo positions. All green as grass.

Goodjob still, get a hang of it. I’m not a day trader. I hold companies I think will do well. So hopefully you discover your strategy.

Opened at $182 and topped out at $195. Now at $175. It's been surprisingly in a tight band all day.

Hoping it’s not another snowflake

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Opened at $182 and topped out at $195. Now at $175. It's been surprisingly in a tight band all day.
I thought they bumped up it from 95 yesterday and said they were going to sell for 102? Or did it just gap up that much the first minite from everyone over bidding?

Last edited by a moderator:

ManofOne

Plus Member
ManofOne ManofOne January 9th will be NIO day.
They're going to be hyping their battery service program and unveiling their first sedan (the biggest seller in China) so I expect high 50's leading up to the event.
If it drops much lower you may want to consider buying back in.

How easily replicated is BaaS. I got into NIO Bc of it but I heard it’s a low barrier and I got out given the rise in Chinese EV.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought they bumped up it from 95 yesterday and said they were going to sell for 102? Or did it just gap up that much the first minite from everyone over bidding?
Ya. It gapped right to $182. Premarket was crazy. Asks were $130, 140..... then it crept to $190. Opened at $182 according to Yahoo.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Ya. It gapped right to $182. Premarket was crazy. Asks were $130, 140..... then it crept to $190. Opened at $182 according to Yahoo.
I was planning on trying to get a few AirBnB shares tomorrow but at 140 I doubt I'll get any.

sobaka770

Banned

Too rich for my tastes. The whole IPO thing is kinda screwed up in favor of big corporations having access first. I'm kind of looking at Roblox in late December but it might also ride the overvalued IPO wave at this point.

I got a bit of luck by getting out of Moderna and Tesla at peak value it seems. Draft Kings sounds like a solid buy, market crashes today anyway.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Too rich for my tastes. The whole IPO thing is kinda screwed up in favor of big corporations having access first. I'm kind of looking at Roblox in late December but it might also ride the overvalued IPO wave at this point.

I got a bit of luck by getting out of Moderna and Tesla at peak value it seems. Draft Kings sounds like a solid buy, market crashes today anyway.
Yup. And more importantly underwriters. Although I don't know if they have restrictions on when they can dump their shares. Never followed that part of the game.

Markets sinking. I'm surprisingly still up a touch. My RMG is up. Everything else is kind of flat and cancelling each other out.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member

fundementals for the company are improving. I didn’t like the stock dilution but as online betting gets more regulatory approval it’s just gonna keep on growing.
Canada announce a major shift in that

sobaka770

Banned
fundementals for the company are improving. I didn’t like the stock dilution but as online betting gets more regulatory approval it’s just gonna keep on growing.
Canada announce a major shift in that

Sold. Today is blood red, the only bright spot is timely SPAC investment in DMYD. I feel dirty but also kinda happy.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Sold. Today is blood red, the only bright spot is timely SPAC investment in DMYD. I feel dirty but also kinda happy.
Don’t go full in. You can start small and reduce your average price if the stock falls a bit but it’s a 70 dollar stock imo

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Survived a bad day in the markets. Nasdaq dropped a decent amount. My portfolio actually went up a whopping $229.75. Or for Yanks, around $180 US.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Survived a bad day in the markets. Nasdaq dropped a decent amount. My portfolio actually went up a whopping $229.75. Or for Yanks, around $180 US.

My second portfolio LOW VOL portfolio been consistently gaining over the last 3 months...reach a new high after 0.13% gain today. First portfolio took a (0.27%) hit. How are you optimizing your portfolio? Did you reduce BETA?

jQ3tSUt.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My second portfolio LOW VOL portfolio been consistently gaining over the last 3 months...reach a new high after 0.13% gain today. First portfolio took a (0.27%) hit. How are you optimizing your portfolio? Did you reduce BETA?

jQ3tSUt.jpg
I sold a ton of stocks over the past few weeks, but got itchy and dipped back in.

But some I dumped were Lightspeed, Li Auto, Fisker, HPE, Pfizer (should have held), Epizyme, UTZ, Cineplex, Grocery Outlet. I'd say half of these are volatile and half are stable and didn't move a lot.

I also sold Trivago and KNDI, but couldn't resist and got back into both. Also bought volatile RMG.

I still have some boring Canadian stocks, GAN and some US companies which all barely move too. Most of this batch are more dividend players.

I'd say my beta volatility probably shaked out a bit lower (so more stable), where the amount of value in equities dropped a lot as I stockpiled a bunch of cash. Lightspeed and Li were really volatile.

What have you been doing to your portfolio to close out the year?

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I sold a ton of stocks over the past few weeks, but got itchy and dipped back in.

I'd say my beta volatility probably shaked out a bit lower (so more stable), where the amount of value in equities dropped a lot as I stockpiled a bunch of cash.

It hard when the market is breaking new records. Balance things out and try going heavy in a law vol growth stock like MSFT ( basically a long haul stock) and then try the smaller quantities of the high vol.

But I think your strategy is good, cash piling is something Ill prob consider at the end of the year for my second portfolio.

Top Bottom