• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Ooof at GME. Glad I got out when I did.
A buddy of mine bought about the same amount of shares I did for nearly the same cost and he didn’t sell. Instead of a $10k profit he’s now looking at roughly a $1500 loss!

I told him to sell last Thursday when Robinhood stopped letting you buy and he responded with 🚀🌕💎👐🏻

Btw I should note it was his first time buying stock ever. 🙄

A $1500 life lesson is not a bad take away. Some people spend 10s of thousands for liberal arts degrees.

GHG

Gold Member
The press labelling anything that does remotely well as a "reddit" stock is getting a bit ridiculous now.

Of course people are going to talk about shares that are on the up. What did they think people talked about on discussion boards specific to the stock market?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
2 years ago before MW came out I bought at $40 and sold at $55 🙄

Gonna hit $100 tomorrow I think.
Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

GHG

Gold Member
CNBC: “Reddit stock called ATVI up 5% in after hours trading.”

🙄🙄🙄

Neogaf stock Activision Blizzard is up in after hours trading.

Pinterest is also up after hours. If you're hearing about the rise for the first time on Neogaf then it's also a Neogaf stock.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Thank you Jesus on PINS. Call options going guns tomm

Pinterest gains 6.5% after 76% revenue growth, 37% user growth​

• Pinterest (NYSE:pINS) has risen 6.5%postmarket after beating expectations and logging strong user growth in its fourth-quarter earnings.
  • In a quarter still affected by widespread lockdowns, Pinterest grew revenues by 76% to $706M - bringing its full-year revenue growth to 48% ($1.693B).
  • Global monthly active users rose 37% to 459M.
  • “We welcomed over 100M additional monthly active users to Pinterest in 2020, more than any other year in our history, and now we reach more than 450M monthly active users around the world," says CEO Ben Silbermann. “As we look to the future, our focus will continue to be delivering more inspiring and shoppable content and helping advertisers realize the value and positivity of our platform.”
  • And the company swung to a GAAP profit of $207.8M, from a prior-year loss of $35.7M. Net income on a non-GAAP basis jumped to $294.3M from $76.9M.
  • Revenue breakout: United States, $582M (up 67%); International, $123M (up 145%).
  • ARPU breakout: Global ARPU was $1.57, up 29%. In the U.S., it rose 49% to $5.94; internationally, it rose 67% to $0.35.
  • As for guidance, it said it was still navigating pandemic uncertainty but expected Q1 revenues to grow in the low-70% range.

GHG

Gold Member
LOL, some chinese company

1YeTqoX.png

Spotted it when the markets opened this morning, was already up just over 100%. Chinese education company, looks suspect. Rumblings of a pump and dump going on.

Watch it all come crashing down tomorrow. After riding the SAVA rollercoaster for the last 36 hours I don't think I can be bothered to deal with another volatile stock this week. Will study the earnings calls that came out today and put more money into companies that I'm happy to hold for months on end without having to worry too much.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Did you make a profit on SAVA?

Once all was said and done I broke even.

I was 89% up overall at one point but foolishly thought it would keep rising today despite me literally sitting there laughing and saying there was no reason for the stock to be trading over 110.

Sold some when it went down to 80 and the sold the rest a minute before the market closed today because I knew that it would mean I was back where I started and I couldn't bear the thought of sweating on it during after hours.

Looks like it was the correct decision considering its fallen a further 16% since the market closed. I will wait for it to stabilise at around 30-40 again and then reinvest prior to phase 3 later this year.

Could have walked away with a quick 2k based on a gamble if I made the call when the market opened but it is what it is.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Too bad you didn’t think of this 2 weeks ago.

I did but I was busy with work. Plus operationalizing it is hard. You can do an private/public investment game via investopedia but it requires to much personal info and I think people will be uncomfortable with that.

greyshark

I did but I was busy with work. Plus operationalizing it is hard. You can do an private/public investment game via investopedia but it requires to much personal info and I think people will be uncomfortable with that.

Ha no worries. Surprised Yahoo finance didn’t have something.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Snap sinks 6.4% amid strong fourth quarter, but light profitability guidance​

• Snap (NYSE:SNAP) is off 6.4% after hours following fourth-quarter earnings where it topped consensus on financials and users but issued some light guidance on EBITDA for the current quarter.
  • Revenue jumped nearly 63% to $911.3M, and GAAP losses were more than cut in half (income to -$113M from a prior-year -$241M).
  • Daily active users rose 22% to 265M, topping expectations for 258M. The company notes DAUs rose both sequentially and year-over-year in each of North America, Europe, and Rest of World. They also grew on each of the iOS and Android platforms.
  • On average, Snapchatters opened that app 30 times a day in the fourth quarter. On the Discover platform, "over 90% of the U.S. Gen Z population watched Shows and publisher content in Q4 2020." And daily time spent by Snapchatters over 35 rose by more than 35%.
  • Operating cash flow improved by $14M to -$53M for the quarter, and free cash flow improved by $7M to -$69M.
  • For Q1, it sees revenues at $720M-$740M, and EBITDA of -$70M to -$50M (an improvement form a prior-year -$81M). Analysts have expected positive EBITDA for Q1.

ManofOne

Plus Member
On Related News Valuation Guru Aswath Damodaran values GME at $47.00.

This is near my recent valuation of $38.00.

GameStopValuation.jpg

Here is the full video

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
I didn't realize the microprocessor crunch was this bad

Carmakers consider supply chain overhaul to avert more chip crises

Chipmakers, who were already facing increased demand thanks to a lockdown-driven boom in games consoles, laptops and televisions, require a lead-time of several months to increase production. In the past few weeks, carmakers including Volkswagen, General Motors, Nissan and Honda have been forced to idle plants or slow production as parts makers struggled to secure supplies from contractors. Ford estimated it could lose up to a fifth of production in the first quarter, as it was forced to cut production of its best-selling F-150 pick-up truck.

Having double suppliers might not be the right strategy, it might be better to have one good supplier than three not so good ones Volvo chief executive Hakan Samuelsson Subaru also cut its vehicle sales target by 4.7 per cent for the fiscal year ending in March, saying the chip shortage will force it to produce 48,000 fewer vehicles in Japan and the US. More than 670,000 fewer cars will be produced in the first quarter of the year as a result of the shortages, according to research by data provider IHS Markit.

This furthers my buy rating for MU and TSM. MU FCF should smoothen out by the end of the year unless the crunch is too much for them.

ManofOne

Plus Member

GameStop, AMC bounce after Robinhood scraps trading​

Shares in GameStop Corp. and AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. rebounded slightly in premarket trading after Robinhood Markets Inc. removed limits on buying the two stocks, which have been at the center of the battle between Reddit-empowered retail traders and short-sellers.

Robinhood’s move, announced in an update on the trading platform’s support page, comes a day after it increased limits on purchases of the two stocks. GameStop has plunged 84 per cent so far this week while AMC has tumbled 47 per cent as retail traders flocked to other corners of the stock market, such as small drug developers.

Both shares rose in premarket trading on Friday, with GameStop up 14 per cent and AMC up 8.9 per cent at 5:30 a.m. in New York. The stocks skyrocketed in late January as day traders that populate Reddit’s WallStreetBets forum sought to fend off short-sellers.
Robinhood’s temporary restrictions on the Reddit group’s favorite stocks last week triggered an outcry among retail traders who said the brokerage had sided with hedge funds and institutional money. In order to shore up its capital amid the trading frenzy, the trading app operator has had to borrow or raise billions of dollars.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whats everyone use for tax software? Or do you have a guy?
I use a free one called Studio Tax. It looks like shit (like it was made during Windows 3.1) but its free and comes out with a new version every year. Not sure if it's Canada only.

It's a good simple program as it will auto-pull Revenue Canada information submitted by the employer, so all you got to do is do a quick check to see if it matches personal forms and input actual changes like investment gains. Takes me 10 min to do it.

My taxes are very simple. During some years when I'm not selling stocks or properties, I have to do literally nothing except take what is populated and add something like dividend/savings account gains from T5 forms. And I'm done.

There's many free Canadian software, I'm going to assume the US has free ones too to download. If someone has simple submissions, don't pay $20 or $40 for a tax program like Ufile or Turbo Tax.

I don't think many people even know there's free tax programs out there.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Excluding my call options. ..........ETSY and MGM carrying the weight in my portfolio today. My larger positions in MSFT and APPL are going no where today.

Top Bottom