• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Delf

Banned
Anyone have any plays in the pennystock front for Monday?
I'm condensing my over stretched investments and narrowing down on a few first thing. I spread myself way to thin.

I keep hearing buzz on ZOM ($1.70) and thought about tossing $100 into it 🤷🏻‍♂️

My buddy us grinding my gears with this damn Dogecoin.
I shit you not he came into work today with a Dogecoin shirt on.. Hes up to a 42 grand profit at this point 😑 Hes got 92...90, fucking 2, thousand dollars in his RH account now.
Fucker just tosses 40 or 50k at it and watches it go up 4 or 5 cents. Pulls out. Makes a couple grand, over, and over, and over, again..

I really want to crush him in some wins lol

Last edited:

HoodWinked

What do you think will crash first the stock market or crypto.

If the stock market crashes I can see it dragging crypto with it if both trended down initially. But if crypto trends up initially it might give people a signal to flood into it out of fear and could rocket up in value.

ManofOne

Plus Member

If the stock market crashes I can see it dragging crypto with it if both trended down initially. But if crypto trends up initially it might give people a signal to flood into it out of fear and could rocket up in value.

Difficult question to answer. I would say market first. Since crypto and the market share a short term positive, slightly high correlation.

Right now we have a very interesting situation in the market called negative convexity. Where both bond yields and duration rise in tandem but the duration risk here is for equities mostly. Rising yields reset cash-flow valuations, so that rising 10 year risk free rate increases the cost of capital for firms.

You're seeing a collapse in the S&P dividend yield and that should worry some portfolio managers. So at some point within the year (which I hope won't happen) all this will begin come crashing down. I expect the 10 year to finish higher than 2.0% at the end of the year.

This will reset a lot of valuations and more so companies with significantly high P/E (above the median), this tends to be tech companies, so we could see another correction or a deep bear market along the way. More so in the tech market.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
jh7twc1oe1g61.png

SpartanN92

Banned
Biotechs ain't my thing sorry. You need any info on them?
If you’ve got any wisdom to share I’d always appreciate it, but really my only interest in 23&Me is from my personal experience with their kit. It was a very neat product and I bet they have a good future ahead of them.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
If you’ve got any wisdom to share I’d always appreciate it, but really my only interest in 23&Me is from my personal experience with their kit. It was a very neat product and I bet they have a good future ahead of them.
I’ll check on the financials and see if there is anything worth sharing. Bio techs not my forte so it will be interesting to see

mango drank

I'm hoping this silicon shortage situation doesn't get bad. It's affecting car production on the one hand, but also partly responsible for the recent console and GPU shortages? Might even affect Apple going forward.

And I saw a recent interview with Cathie Wood where she was laughing nervously and saying people should keep a lot of cash on hand this year, and that her funds would maybe return 20% this year, after skyrocketing in 2020.

Trying to stay optimistic, but the hits keep on coming.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'm hoping this silicon shortage situation doesn't get bad. It's affecting car production on the one hand, but also partly responsible for the recent console and GPU shortages? Might even affect Apple going forward.

And I saw a recent interview with Cathie Wood where she was laughing nervously and saying people should keep a lot of cash on hand this year, and that her funds would maybe return 20% this year, after skyrocketing in 2020.

Trying to stay optimistic, but the hits keep on coming.

I already liquidated some of my portfolio after checking the data.

I’m shifting more into inflation protection and reduced downside risk.

I think whatever asset class you put your money to work in is highly susceptible to downside risk this year. However it’s more so depending on the historical volatility of the asset.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
So big crash coming soon?

The financial manager survey says no or atleast not yet. But the situation in the bond market with rising yields alongside rising inflation has me concerned.

It may not be a black swan event as it could be predicted but the response may trigger a black Swan event.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
For bank stocks here is what you look for initially in the financials

You're looking for a ROA (Return on Assets) around 2.0%. Anything above 2.0% is excellent. You're also looking for a ROE (Return on Equity) above the industry median.

Higher ROE, the better. ROE and capital adequacy are inversely related. So you want a bank that as a above 8.0% mandated capital adequacy ratio but still slightly below the industry median.

If capital adequacy is too high it hurts ROE in the long run.

1) Net Interest Margin - You're looking for something slightly above the industry median.
2) Efficiency Ratio - you're looking for something around 50.0% or lower.
3) Non Performing Assets - you're looking for something below 4.0%. If this figure is high it drags down net profitability b/c of higher provision costs and write off for bad debts.
4) Non Performing Loans to Total Loans - looking for something below 2.0%
5) Look at Tier 1 to Risk Weighted Assets should be lower than industry median. For decent returns.
6) Loan to deposit ratio and liquid asset to deposit ratio should be higher than industry median however also look at the diversification of the loan portfolio to check for concentration risks.
7) Return on Investments - should be higher or around industry median.

Valuation - Price to Book is a good measurement of value however DCF if they pay consistent dividends, use the Gordan Dividend Growth Model.
Dividend yield should be also be above or near industry median.

These are some metrics when starting to analyze banks. An intermediate to amateur level you can use the CAMELS frame work. If you want something more advance frame work analysis down 2 orth down 2 orth lemme know.

down 2 orth

No but I have analyzed banks at work. What you looking to know specifically?

Well I'm thinking of gradually investing ten to twenty thousand dollars in the next couple years in KB Financial Group, Shinhan, and Woori, on the expectation that North Korea will start opening up in the next five to fifteen years.

I must point out that I have zero investment experience. Any advice would be appreciated. Also curious about the difference between investing in these banks on the NYSE and the Korea Exchange.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Well I'm thinking of gradually investing ten to twenty thousand dollars in the next couple years in KB Financial Group, Shinhan, and Woori, on the expectation that North Korea will start opening up in the next five to fifteen years.

I must point out that I have zero investment experience. Any advice would be appreciated. Also curious about the difference between investing in these banks on the NYSE and the Korea Exchange.

* Not Investment Advice

Just from a quick glance KB seems to be the more consistent one however some of its metrics on growth are concerning. There is value though but whether it can tap into that, I think there are better companies.

YouIaCh.jpg

down 2 orth

* Not Investment Advice

Just from a quick glance KB seems to be the more consistent one however some of its metrics on growth are concerning. There is value though but whether it can tap into that, I think there are better companies.

YouIaCh.jpg

ManofOne, you truly are the man. I don't know what any of this means, but I'm going to take some time to figure it all out.

Tesseract

Banned

Richard Craib: WallStreetBets, Numerai, and the Future of Stock Trading | Lex Fridman Podcast #159​

2:28 - WallStreetBets and GameStop saga
16:41 - Evil shorting and chill shorting
18:47 - Hedge funds
24:20 - Vlad
31:16 - Numerai
58:32 - Futre of AI in stock trading
1:04:11 - Numerai data
1:07:53 - Is stock trading gambling or investing?
1:11:48 - What is money?
1:15:05 - Cryptocurrency
1:18:22 - Dogecoin
1:22:52 - Advice for startups
1:38:43 - Book recommendations
1:40:45 - Advice for young people
1:44:46 - Meaning of life

ManofOne

Plus Member
Pre Market Report 2/08/2021. Meme stocks and usual pre market flyers making there rounds.

mOqPSiS.jpg

Last edited:

Amory

Is there any way for the SEC to regulate Elon Musk's power to manipulate markets? His Twitter army has made him a real life King Midas. All he has to do is tweet a single word or change a profile picture and it sends prices hundreds of percents higher. GameStop, Doge, Bitcoin, CD Projekt Red, even some random microcap stocks that people bought by mistake

How can this be legal? Even if he personally doesn't own what he's tweeting about, we'll never know if he told someone else to buy it.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Is there any way for the SEC to regulate Elon Musk's power to manipulate markets? His Twitter army has made him a real life King Midas. All he has to do is tweet a single word or change a profile picture and it sends prices hundreds of percents higher. GameStop, Doge, Bitcoin, CD Projekt Red, even some random microcap stocks that people bought by mistake

How can this be legal? Even if he personally doesn't own what he's tweeting about, we'll never know if he told someone else to buy it.

Unless he has investments in it and/or actively promoting the stock. Its fine.

Last edited:
Palantir just keeps dropping positive PRs. Now they’re teaming up with IBM to integrate each other’s products. Palantir gains access to IBMs sales force.

I'm still not seeing the appeal of PLTR, I need to go deeper into the analysis I guess.

Palantir specializes in data-gathering and analysis, most of which it does for government agencies.

That alone makes their solution somewhat sticky, but now they’re reaching out to public companies. They can take large sets of unstructured data and make sense of it for their clients.

I think Big Data will really come into its own in the coming years, especially where we have a multitude of disjointed systems. I really think Palantir can take the legwork out of a lot of that.

All I know is they keep announcing new contracts with governments and large corporations. Obviously they’re very speculative given their current valuation. I think earnings are reported on the 16th of this month which will give more insight.

Here’s a video of their Demo Day, where they showcase their tech. The really flashy stuff is at 42 minute mark for their Gotham software:

edit: forgot to mention their software allows companies to run complex data simulations, sort of a “what if” tool for execs to help them with their decision making.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Palantir specializes in data-gathering and analysis, most of which it does for government agencies.

That alone makes their solution somewhat sticky, but now they’re reaching out to public companies. They can take large sets of unstructured data and make sense of it for their clients.

I think Big Data will really come into its own in the coming years, especially where we have a multitude of disjointed systems. I really think Palantir can take the legwork out of a lot of that.

All I know is they keep announcing new contracts with governments and large corporations. Obviously they’re very speculative given their current valuation. I think earnings are reported on the 16th of this month which will give more insight.

I understand what PLTR does but their business isn't particularly unique and I sense other companies are doing. Take FB for example. They have a unit dedicated to that and seemingly want to branch off into it.

Last edited:
I understand what PLTR does but their business isn't particularly unique and I sense other companies are doing. Take FB for example. They have a unit dedicated to that and seemingly want to branch off into it.
Not sure it necessarily needs to be unique as long as they do it better than the next guy. A FB can spend all the money they want to develop their own solution, or seemingly spend less and just hire out to a company like Palantir.

FBs business model is monetizing its own data, Palantirs business model is just helping a company like FB do that more efficiently.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Not sure it necessarily needs to be unique as long as they do it better than the next guy. A FB can spend all the money they want to develop their own solution, or seemingly spend less and just hire out to a company like Palantir.

FBs business model is monetizing its own data, Palantirs business model is just helping a company like FB do that more efficiently.

FB to me seemingly wants to cut out that contractual component which goes in line with FB acquisition model. Rather than pay someone to do it for them, either build your own or acquire it.

So while I think PLTR stock will rise, they will hit a wall at some point when larger players enter the game.

Last edited:
FB to me seemingly wants to cut out that contractual component which goes in line with FB acquisition model. Rather than pay someone to do it for them, either build your own or acquire it.

So while I think PLTR stock will rise, they will hit a wall at some point when larger players enter the game.
Possibly. Palantir has been at this for 15-20 years. I think they have quite headstart at this point.

BigBooper

Definitely. It seems like almost everybody talking about it is clueless as to whether they are doing it better than the next guy.

Definitely. It seems like almost everybody talking about it is clueless as to whether they are doing it better than the next guy.

Time will tell, as long as they keep rolling out new contract announcements, especially to commercial enterprises I'll remain interested.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Looking at some value stocks this morning based of my screener CEO, DHT, HOLI, INT, KGC

Edit - gonna put $20,000 in each. Waiting for a buy point thou

Last edited:

Aren't there rumors they're considering creating a 3000$ per child annual tax credit which will be sent to families divided monthly even if they don't owe that much in taxes. If that gets into motion, I think it will be difficult for there to be any long lasting crash, as that is essentially UBI for children to the entire US, and will also lead to a baby boom.

Anyone have any plays in the pennystock front for Monday?
I'm condensing my over stretched investments and narrowing down on a few first thing. I spread myself way to thin.

I keep hearing buzz on ZOM ($1.70) and thought about tossing $100 into it 🤷🏻‍♂️

My buddy us grinding my gears with this damn Dogecoin.
I shit you not he came into work today with a Dogecoin shirt on.. Hes up to a 42 grand profit at this point 😑 Hes got 92...90, fucking 2, thousand dollars in his RH account now.
Fucker just tosses 40 or 50k at it and watches it go up 4 or 5 cents. Pulls out. Makes a couple grand, over, and over, and over, again..

I really want to crush him in some wins lol
Mcash youtuber has had a few good pennystock recommendations. He claims to have very high success rate in recommendations, though I've not verified that personally.

Dynasty8

So I'm still new to stocks...question regarding "Pre-Market".

Yesterday (Sunday) I bought some shares for a company when the market was obviously closed. I set a Buy Limit Order for 500 shares at the price of $2.35 (the closing price was $2.34). But this morning during pre-market, the sale didn't go through and now the price is currently at $2.85. My question is...is there any way for me to secure the current price of a stock when the market is closed?

Thanks, still learning.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So I'm still new to stocks...question regarding "Pre-Market".

Yesterday (Sunday) I bought some shares for a company when the market was obviously closed. I set a Buy Limit Order for 500 shares at the price of $2.35 (the closing price was $2.34). But this morning during pre-market, the sale didn't go through and now the price is currently at $2.85. My question is...is there any way for me to secure the current price of a stock when the market is closed?

Thanks, still learning.

What platform?

Top Bottom