• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member

Sony beats FQ3 estimates; raises FY 2021 outlook​

• Sony (NYSE:SNE): FQ3 GAAP EPS of ¥297.35.
  • Net income ¥371.89B, +62% Y/Y, estimate ¥116.25B.
  • Revenue of ¥2.7T (+9.8% Y/Y) beats by ¥190B.
  • Operating income ¥359.23B, +20% Y/Y, estimate ¥179.92
  • FY 2021 forecast (prior October 2020):
  • Sales of ¥8.8T from ¥8.5T;
  • Operating income of ¥940B from ¥700B;
  • Net income of ¥1,085B from ¥800B;
  • Net cash provided by operating activities: ¥850B from ¥630B.

Last edited:

God Enel

Sony beats FQ3 estimates; raises FY 2021 outlook​

• Sony (NYSE:SNE): FQ3 GAAP EPS of ¥297.35.
  • Net income ¥371.89B, +62% Y/Y, estimate ¥116.25B.
  • Revenue of ¥2.7T (+9.8% Y/Y) beats by ¥190B.
  • Operating income ¥359.23B, +20% Y/Y, estimate ¥179.92
  • FY 2021 forecast (prior October 2020):
  • Sales of ¥8.8T from ¥8.5T;
  • Operating income of ¥940B from ¥700B;
  • Net income of ¥1,085B from ¥800B;
  • Net cash provided by operating activities: ¥850B from ¥630B.
Is that a yes to hold? Bought them back for 60$ and not sure what to do.

ManofOne

Plus Member
PRE-MARKET REPORT 2/3/2021

Uq5YPuB.jpg

G8aZlOE.jpg

BigBooper

Anyone else still browsing the GME WSB stuff? There's a possible avenue for another big short push, but they are so flooded with disinformation and people just going with the flow for it to happen I think. They keep making claims like the volume is too low for the shorts to have cleared and every share transfer that ends in 00 is a ladder attack.

Ah well, onto more stable things.

Anyone else still browsing the GME WSB stuff? There's a possible avenue for another big short push, but they are so flooded with disinformation and people just going with the flow for it to happen I think. They keep making claims like the volume is too low for the shorts to have cleared and every share transfer that ends in 00 is a ladder attack.

It makes for tedious reading to say the least. Hope isn't going to magically make the stock price rocket up. At this point everyone should just eat the L and look to not play the get-rich-quick stuff.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I actually opened a small position today so that means the dip will probably come tomorrow.

I was expecting a sell off after earnings anyway but wanted to get my feet wet and ready to add more then.
Yeah i was hoping for a small dip. Nothing crazy but it seems to be holding steady. Only looking to get makybe 5 shares so in the grand scheme wont make a huge difference.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Up 0.90%. If it holds to end of day, I'm happy t say my portfolio is at the highest ever. Rode through all the covid meltdown bullshit, got a market rebound and clawed my way back with picks which most have done well (some doubled).

My personal portfolio is about +30% vs. right before the covid bomb happened. Unbelievable. Trump was right to hold.

I checked my company Manulife retirement investments and they rocketed to an all time high too. Not sure what even happened. It surely rode the wave down with covid, but by year end it shows a +30% for the year or some crazy number. So it blew past covid. The funds must had been heavy in tech stocks or the fund manager was good and bailed fast when covid was happening and then went hard on the rebound.

Suddenly in Dec 2020, it spiked big.

Last edited:
I was watching Disney+ with my nephew and they got a gold mine for kids.
And if there's one thing I've learned since having kids is that they'll watch the same...shit...over...and over. Every day for their allotted screen time they'll pick the same thing to watch. Go on any Youtube channel that caters to kids and no matter how crappy the production value is you still see tens of millions of views.

Disney+ is going to be a huge winner for Disney and I want in on that action.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And if there's one thing I've learned since having kids is that they'll watch the same...shit...over...and over. Every day for their allotted screen time they'll pick the same thing to watch. Go on any Youtube channel that caters to kids and no matter how crappy the production value is you still see tens of millions of views.

Disney+ is going to be a huge winner for Disney and I want in on that action.

Thats where I am at. Plus is really gonna something for them when they really hit their stride. I know they compnay is so much more than their movies and such but thats really what I am looking at.

Starfield

What do you guys think of Embracer Group?

Koch Media, Deep Silver, Warhorse Studios, 4A Games....all those companies are under the Embracer Group (THQ Nordic) Umbrellla.

Dying Light 2 looks to have development problems but it could become the next big hit of publisher Deep Silver. Kingdome Come Deliverance sold over 3Mil copies and was a hit. Metro Exodus sold more copies thany any Metro game ever, they are working on a successor aswell.

Looks like it may be a good idea to buy some of their stock and wait for the future?

edit: They've also been on a MASSIVE aquisition spray this year
Update: https://venturebeat.com/2021/02/02/...-maker-gearbox-entertainment-for-1-3-billion/

well FUCK.

I just bought some shares but FUCK ME I wanted to buy in a few days ago but I couldn't. Had to buy in today but I guess the stock will increase in value tomorrow again.

I fucking CALLED IT

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/EMBRAC-B.ST/ (+16% gain today)

Maybe the stock market is something for me AFTER ALL

edit2: damn, they are truly on an aquisition roll https://venturebeat.com/2021/02/02/embracer-group-acquires-aspyr-media-for-up-to-450-million/

Last edited:

mango drank

Anybody ever gamble with a leveraged fund / ETF? From what little I've read about them, I get that you're supposed to actively trade to bank price increases and avoid decreases, but from seeing this graph, it sure as hell seems that if you bought SOXL 5 years ago and held until now, you'd be 3,000% up. (Minus the yearly 1% expense ratio)

AJE4mnu.jpg

ManofOne

Plus Member
Anybody ever gamble with a leveraged fund / ETF? From what little I've read about them, I get that you're supposed to actively trade to bank price increases and avoid decreases, but from seeing this graph, it sure as hell seems that if you bought SOXL 5 years ago and held until now, you'd be 3,000% up. (Minus the yearly 1% expense ratio)

AJE4mnu.jpg

Yep there are a few I play around with more so the inverse one's with high volatility. Made a mint in the October sell off. They aren't meant to be held for particularly long and most of the trades are short term or just hedges against an existing position.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Third consecutive day of gains portfolio up nearly 6.0% mid week (excluding options). Had I not sold my hi vol positions I would be up higher.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

AJE4mnu.jpg
Watch out on these. One of my bros has dabbled with funds that move at 2x or 3x the actual daily index move. If you get caught going the wrong way, it can take big rebounds to get the fund back to breakeven.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Portfolio up 1.6%. Lightspeed big gainer again. Crossing fingers their earnings tomorrow will be good. Could be smooth sailing or a crater.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Weed sector on fire today. GW Pharma got bought out, so the rest of the big players up ~10% each too. Aphria at $22 cdn. Last time it was this high was 2017 I think.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
mango drank mango drank

Most of those while interesting are meaningless. You have to look at them as a percentage of the overall market. Also be careful when trying to predict a black swan event. They're impossible to predict.

Go with the usual metrics like see below in October 2019. Yield curve behavior is the most important one as it often shows how markets are prepping for the future.

7PGmSPL.jpg

Also things to add are credit quality (i.e corporate bonds) and etf fund flows . Those two have some serious risk built in to them. ETFs have destroyed price discovery in my opinion.

Last edited:
bought a call that went down about 9 percent, but i have plenty of time on it.

Rest of my stuff is down about 1 percent mostly. MSFT had a good day and so did CRSR.

Got in on Disney today. 4 shares.
Do you think the best is yet to come for Corsair? They keep popping up on my radar but I've heard plenty of bearish talk too.

quickwhips

I'm still holding

I'm going hold gamestop until it kills me. I'm bleeding but I'm not dead.

Top Bottom