• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
  • Chips and pot kept things interesting in trading today, but the broader market had an indifferent performance for the third-straight session.
  • The S&P 500 (SP500) +0.2% ended just higher on very late buying, in the middle of today's range. The Nasdaq (COMP) +0.4% was the best performer and the Dow (DJI) close flat.
  • The Russell 2000 (RTY) -0.2% fell again after breaking a solid win streak yesterday.
  • The rally in bonds also took a pause as, with the 10-year Treasury yield rising to 1.16%.
  • Energy (NYSEARCA:XLE) was the weakest of the S&P sectors. Information Technology (NYSEARCA:XLK) was the only S&P sector that really gained any traction.
  • Semiconductor and chip-equipment stocks rallied across the board with President Biden planning an executive order to review supply chains.
  • Marijuana stocks ran the other way after retail investor enthusiasm before the bell whipsawed into sharp selling through the regular session.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
  • Disney (NYSE:DIS): FQ1 Non-GAAP EPS of $0.32 beats by $0.66; GAAP EPS of $0.02 beats by $0.73.
  • Revenue of $16.25B (-22.1% Y/Y) beats by $370M.
  • Disney Plus subscribers were 94.9M vs. 90.7M consensus; ESPN Plus subscribers 12.1M vs. 11.5M consensus.
  • Shares +2.2%.
LOL. Talk about awful analysts calls, or awesome Disney execution and sub plans. How the hell does the earnings report beat expectations by about 70 cents? lol

ManofOne

Plus Member

CloudFlare EPS beats by $0.02, beats on revenue​

• CloudFlare (NYSE:NET): Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of -$0.02 beats by $0.02; GAAP EPS of -$0.11 misses by $0.05.
  • Revenue of $125.9M (+50.0% Y/Y) beats by $7.57M.
  • GAAP gross profit was $96.9M, or 76.9% gross margin, compared to $65.7M, or 78.3%, in the fourth quarter of 2019
  • Shares -2%.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Never underestimate the power of simps. Bumble ended the day up 64%

QWpjO4b.jpg

Honey Bunny

She also warned me to dump GME the day before it crashed. I would have gotten out with some gains. Instead I HELD THE LINE and lost $2-3k (I never tallied up the exact amount I lost, it was chaos).
Let us know next time she has a recommendation!

Up 1.1% today, but after a real downer the day before. BLDP didn't recover much ground from yesterday's dip so I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
So I'm guessing retail investors can't buy shares early?

Yah they can via Dutch auctioning or roadshow.

Or you can buy the funds that bought into them pre IPO.

Space X investments with mutual funds that is going up right now.

Last edited:

GHG

Riding ACIU through to market opening tomorrow.

Cp2qun.gif

There's rumblings about a deal between Amazon and Vital Farms (VITL), hence VITL being up after hours. Could be one to watch tomorrow.

Yah they can via Dutch auctioning or roadshow.

Or you can buy the funds that bought into them pre IPO.

Space X investments with mutual funds that is going up right now.
Dutch auctioning? IS that what's used when securing IPO with large investment through large brokers? I've heard you have to hold on to stocks you get in IPO for months, not to get barred from future offerings, so I imagine they get initial ipo price if you commit large with a big broker.

BTW what's the mutual fund with spaceX

ManofOne

Plus Member
Dutch auctioning? IS that what's used when securing IPO with large investment through large brokers? I've heard you have to hold on to stocks you get in IPO for months, not to get barred from future offerings, so I imagine they get initial ipo price if you commit large with a big broker.

BTW what's the mutual fund with spaceX

FCNTX but crazepharmacist crazepharmacist would know more, i think he currently involved in one.

With larger brokers, they normally do this however, there are brokers that allow pre IPO auctioning. Fidelity is one of these companies but you need a specific amount of assets. I think they raised it to $1,000,000.

There are smaller companies that don't go to the banks, they hold webinars and auction of their shares. A few sites engage in this.

FCNTX but crazepharmacist crazepharmacist would know more, i think he currently involved in one.

With larger brokers, they normally do this however, there are brokers that allow pre IPO auctioning. Fidelity is one of these companies but you need a specific amount of assets. I think they raised it to $1,000,000.

There are smaller companies that don't go to the banks, they hold webinars and auction of their shares. A few sites engage in this.
I have 20 grand in BPTRX. Extremely large holding in TSLA like 40% last I checked. And like a 3% in spacex. It’s been a great performer for me over the last few years but of course I would have done much better if I just invested in TSLA alone.

GreenAlien

I am still up about a grand from the GME madness so i have been more bullish on my "free money" but today was a bit too much. I clearly need more education.
According to the science, more "knowledge" doesn't actually help, except for illegal insider stuff. Blind monkeys are as good as "professionals"..

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Anyone following FREQ? I have a tiny position but I feel like every day it's hitting all time highs. I remember when it was $15.
Small cap biotech stocks scare me but this one is interesting because they have a regenerating hearing loss drug in the pipeline which apparently has shown promising results so far.
Would have a huge TAM if approved.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Anyone following FREQ? I have a tiny position but I feel like every day it's hitting all time highs. I remember when it was $15.
Small cap biotech stocks scare me but this one is interesting because they have a regenerating hearing loss drug in the pipeline which apparently has shown promising results so far.
Would have a huge TAM if approved.

I've heard about it but I am wary of biotechs. More into tech and banking.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Who's ready to make some money today.

Remember clear your options today and revisit your portfolio for the weekend!!

Just a reminder we are in a bubble but the market shows no sign of slowing down, yet

XNMnOVo.jpg

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Also want to share some interesting research with you guys. About how passive index funds are distorting the market.

The author name is Micheal Greene and he wrote this very intelligent article on the aggregate effect of a stock's market capitalization based on the multiplier effect.

What is being proposed here is that for every dollar an active manager puts to work it as a $2.50 effect on the aggregate market capitalization.

However for every dollar a passive fund receives the aggregate effect increases by $17.00.

So passive funds are destroying price discovery, they will continue to buy as long as they receive money, thus their aggregate effect on the market will worsen as the number of passive funds grow.

You're already seeing that effect via ARK funds.

So my advice is don't go all in, keep some white powder in hand. You don't need to make all your returns or become a millionaire b/c the eventual down market will provide a perfect buying opportunity when it comes.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING THE ARTICLE - IT IS VERY INTERESTING.

https://www.logicafunds.com/policy-in-a-world-of-pandemics

Delf

Banned
I'm just watching ATOS and RIGL lose me money...

ZOM and AGTC are carrying me in green, but only recovering about half of what I'm losing.

Gonna Yolo this shit till their in the ground!

Myths

Let’s see how AGTC fared today as I got in yesterday. Couple great tickers I wanna scoop up and hold over the weekend but it’s always risky business.

Delf

Banned
Let’s see how AGTC fared today as I got in yesterday. Couple great tickers I wanna scoop up and hold over the weekend but it’s always risky business.

One of my picks in the green thankfully. Steady at +25% for now.
ATOS is now looking to fall under $3.00 and killing me...so it evens out.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Two of my pharma are randomly up quite a bit mitigating near all the loss i had on em. Hopefully it sticks.

SpartanN92

Banned
Well...All my Disney gains gone in a matter of 30 seconds (and I have yet to figure out why).

I’m taking a two week break. Need to clear my head. I’m normally pretty good at picking small winners and making a $100, $200 etc while losing very little.
I’ve done nothing but break even this month.
I think my objectivity was affected by making so much on GME. I’ll make money in one consistent area, and lose every bit on a WSB chase.
I’ll keep watching but I’m gonna chill for a bit.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Also want to share some interesting research with you guys. About how passive index funds are distorting the market.

The author name is Micheal Greene and he wrote this very intelligent article on the aggregate effect of a stock's market capitalization based on the multiplier effect.

What is being proposed here is that for every dollar an active manager puts to work it as a $2.50 effect on the aggregate market capitalization.

However for every dollar a passive fund receives the aggregate effect increases by $17.00.

So passive funds are destroying price discovery, they will continue to buy as long as they receive money, thus their aggregate effect on the market will worsen as the number of passive funds grow.

You're already seeing that effect via ARK funds.

So my advice is don't go all in, keep some white powder in hand. You don't need to make all your returns or become a millionaire b/c the eventual down market will provide a perfect buying opportunity when it comes.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND READING THE ARTICLE - IT IS VERY INTERESTING.

https://www.logicafunds.com/policy-in-a-world-of-pandemics
Thank you. I will read that today. At a glance, that makes me think a big downturn will possibly be much worse than it would have been a decade ago.

Top Bottom