• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock Market in Asia in free fall, multiple gaming companies affected

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There's constantly been talks about a recession, so why now? I swear every fucking thing has been blamed for this except aliens right now.

It's insane how this talk about the "recession" has been going for 2 years. Yet in America it hadn't happened. We got our soft landing. Now it's up to the FED to follow through on their part and now slowly lower interest rates.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
We are NOT going into a recession. The FED will lower interest rates twice this year and things will be set straight. There's an easy fix to this in America.
I'd rather we go in a recession honestly. Then companies can cut prices if they want more consumer spending. Interest rates aren't really the problem. Corporations are still price gouging everything, and now they want more free money. Some of these bubbles correcting finally is good.

Last edited:
It's insane how this talk about the "recession" has been going for 2 years. Yet in America it hadn't happened. We got our soft landing. Now it's up to the FED to follow through on their part and now slowly lower interest rates.
Edit: I didn't want to be rude so i deleted the original coment.
I understand the need to adjust interest rates. I just don't see 5% as being high by any stretch.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

If they start lowering rates now you'll get your recession alright, and then some.

Last edited:

Unknown?

It’s going to go lower I would say, but you never know.

BoJ f-d up by raising I think and Fed f-d up by not cutting in July.
Fed f-d up by keeping the interest low for so long. Now we have a market addicted to easy currency/inflation.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Gaming industry feels really fucking broken right now. I feel like something really bad is potentially on the horizon.
It really does. So many gigantic expensive games that have been in development for like 6+ years and need to sell many millions to break even. COVID caused a temporary spike in the gaming market and at the same time delayed a bunch of game development. Now there’s like a whole wave of “modern audiences” flops incoming.

It’s not sustainable and I think the bloodbath is just getting started.

feynoob

Banned
The economy is much different now compared to before. With technology, you can mitigate some risks. General population and global trade also minimizes the risk.

However, if companies like Apple and MS gets affected, then kiss good bye to the financial stuff. Whatever comes after that would be shit storm.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Settle down Alanah.
I am so old I dont even know what this is supposed to mean

Sorry Watch Out GIF by Laff

I am so old I dont even know what this is supposed to mean

Sorry Watch Out GIF by Laff
I think he is referring to Alanah Pearce, who made a statement/video (not sure which, I do not follow her) titled It's going to get worse about the video game industry layoff stuff earlier in the year. A thread was made about it on GAF and as all threads on Ms Pearce go, her pics were posted with wanton abandon and nobody gave a shit about the topic on hand.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
It's a Monday, stocks are always down on a Monday. They'll go back up tomorrow or day after. Also Goldman-Sachs released a statement saying the odds of a US recession is now 25% up from 15% because of the weak jobs report. That made the Japanese uneasy. Nikkei also had a huge surge recently and it can't climb everyday, people are going to sell, and why not sell at an all time high. Also in Japan they hiked up interest rates right before the massive sell off. It's a good day to buy the dip.

Unknown?

Lowering interest rates just kicks the can down the road. Look at how bad things were in 2019 with 0% and thankfully they had a pandemic as an excuse to flood the market with trillions of new dollars which stopped the crash but lit up inflation.

Eventually you get to 0% and nothing that got you to needing 0% was fixed so you have to go negative which makes things even worse.

StereoVsn

Lowering interest rates just kicks the can down the road. Look at how bad things were in 2019 with 0% and thankfully they had a pandemic as an excuse to flood the market with trillions of new dollars which stopped the crash but lit up inflation.

Eventually you get to 0% and nothing that got you to needing 0% was fixed so you have to go negative which makes things even worse.
Rates were at 1.5 to 1.75 because .75 got cut in 2019 due to tariff spat with China.

The reason they went to 0 is obvious.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i love how all these tech companies laid off thousands of workers despite posting billions in profits to appease shareholders and keep their inflated share prices inflated. But then this happens and their shares have tanked anyway.

well done you dumb cunts. now you are short employees and your products will suffer.

Soft landing, hard landing, whatever this ends up being - it's been in the works for a long time. Japan carry trade has been on the horizon for a while with market makers preparing last year for this inevitability. Any of the big companies that haven't over-leveraged themselves will be fine in the long run. We are about to find out what happens to all of these impossible business models. You've seen the huge effects higher interest rates have had on the industry, now watch what happens when demand dries up.

If this does turn out to be the beginning of another recession, there is no easy way out. Dropping rates too low or increasing the money supply means the return of inflation.

GHG

Gold Member
Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Edit: I didn't want to be rude so i deleted the original coment.
I understand the need to adjust interest rates. I just don't see 5% as being high by any stretch.

It's not "HIGH", but it's higher than it needs to be. 3.5% to 4.5% makes much more sense.

No need to go to 0%. Just 4% would be good enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom