• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Outta Compton Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

aly

So I just came back from the movie and I was impressed. The cast was great and it did'nt feel long at all. It also hit a weird spot with me just knowing these songs, people and hearing about those moments that ended up in the movie. Teared up a little when Eazy-E died even though I knew it was coming.

Well shit. It's kind of crazy how the original hip-hop industry was so "hood" and now after the first generation has learned and grew it has mellowed out significantly.

Man so many people tried to fuck over Cube.

A lot of west coast shit is still heavily gang related. Out of town rappers often pay for protection from blood or crip based security. There's also still some gang shit in NY and Detroit, rap wise. Not just anybody can waltz into Detroit for a show if the proper respect isn't paid, for instance.

jesu

Saw it tonight and thought it was great.
Didn't think it was too long at all, seemed to fly past.
Don't think I've ever heard No Vaseline before, will need to give it a listen again.

4/5 movie. For me, the MVP was O'Shea Jackson Jr. Damn he nailed his father perfectly. Of the main cast, Dre was probably the weakest, followed by stanley tucci, who I find to be a mediocre actor.

He wasn't in it though.

Doc Az

Neo Member
Solid piece of entertainment, and I enjoyed it as that. Had some really strong imagery in it, and the central theme of the police force and their actions towards blacks, with the Rodney King trial giving a pretty strong back drop. Relevant today even more than ever.

I didn't expect it to be brutally honest, what with Dre being a woman beating piece of shit, but like I said, I took with with a grain of salt, and I enjoyed it.

O'Shea Jackson Jr. was perfect as Cube, spitting image of his Dad, it was scary. Amazing actor too.

4/5, easily.

DMczaf

I want a Tupac/Biggie biopic from the same team, just so I can get the scene where Biggie, Puffy and Faith hear Hit Em Up for the first time.

Saw it tonight and thought it was great.
Didn't think it was too long at all, seemed to fly past.
Don't think I've ever heard No Vaseline before, will need to give it a listen again.

He wasn't in it though.

Yeah, my mistake. I meant Paul Giamatti

Felt like this movie could have been so much better. Perhaps if someone else made it without Dre and Cube looking over their shoulder. But that casting was so fucking spot on.

Dabanton

Someone needs to do a Suge Knight biopic just for the fuckery.

Suge is an interesting if very scary character one part charming and funny and on the other part someone who would have no problem hanging you off a high rise hotel balcony for a shake down.

I want a Tupac/Biggie biopic from the same team, just so I can get the scene where Biggie, Puffy and Faith hear Hit Em Up for the first time.

All the awkward states that would have ensued after that opening line....

Edit; stares, damn autocorrect

DMczaf

Someone needs to do a Suge Knight biopic just for the fuckery.

Suge is an interesting if very scary character one part charming and funny and on the other part someone who would have no problem hanging you off a high rise hotel balcony for a shake down.

When that dude parked in Suge's spot, I prayed for him before Suge even got out of his car :(

Toothless

Can I really dislike a movie for solely being inaccurate? Truth be told, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie while watching it as I know absolutely nothing about NWA. Although generic at points, I really got to care for Dre, Ice Cube, and Eazy-E. Acting by the main three and Giamatti was great, and the direction was on point. I especially like what Gray did with the credits, and how the whole film felt an hour shorter than it actually was. My friend informed me on the way back on how horribly inaccurate it is… and I kinda don’t mind? I guess that’s a bad thing, but as a film, I feel like it’s done well enough to enjoy on its own merits.

nib95

Banned
Watched this earlier with my wife, really enjoyed the film. Not sure how historically accurate it was, but it was certainly entertaining and well made.

One question, who owns the rights to The Chronic? In the film it shows Dre giving up the masters and everything else to Suge, but Suge sold off the record label some years back right? Did Dr Dre ever get back the rights to his early music?

MrHoot

Very enjoyable, just saw it.

Although yeah, it's does have some inaccuracies, and plays up the characters of Dre mostly a whooole lot, making him pass for a mostly straight-edge stand-up fellow while in reality he did some nasty shit (Barnes incident, notably). Some stuff also seemed almost parody for the sake of conveniency of the plot.

But overall, still pretty good

Negaduck

Haha call me crazy but I ended up seeing it a third time this weekend. Kept finding people who hadn't seen it yet and wanted someone to go with and I always wanted to see it.

Really enjoyed it every time and it has easily become one of my favorite movies of all time.

I actually didn't know too much about NWA outside of some general things. But after the frist time seeing it I've become an instant fan, I even bought 'Straight outta compton' and have been listening to it over and over (Dopeman might be my favorite song).

I thought Mad Max was my movie of the year but for me Straight out of Compton knocked it out of first place.

I also have so much more respect for Ice Cube, I had no idea how much of the songs he wrote.

stufte

Saw this the other day and really enjoyed it. It also reminded me of what a horribly shitty person Suge Knight is. Fuck that guy.

Watched this earlier with my wife, really enjoyed the film. Not sure how historically accurate it was, but it was certainly entertaining and well made.

One question, who owns the rights to The Chronic? In the film it shows Dre giving up the masters and everything else to Suge, but Suge sold off the record label some years back right? Did Dr Dre ever get back the rights to his early music?

i think that Dre got the digital rights at least

Josephl64

I rather enjoyed the movie. Granted my knowledge on it is a tad minimal outside the events of the first album, but I did like it for what it was. I'm kind of interested in reading more on the topic because of the historical inaccuracies I've heard about so...does anybody know any good books on the subject?

LNBL

Man I knew Dr. Dre was very important to different artists, but I never looked into it. Great history lesson.

BFIB

Saw this over the weekend. Good movie, though I wish they would have covered the reporter incident and Dre's domestic issues done in a way to shed light on the issues. But I understand some liberties had to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom