• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Outta Compton Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah i was surprised by the
lack of dre/eazy beef. They'll probably include it in the directors cut (if they do one)

I'll be surprised if there is a big director's cut. Film was already two and a half hours long and they were pretty clean with Dre.

rokkerkory

just saw this on FB and thought it was pretty funny and relevant for a gaming forum

11870831_996863143678648_2063970800057856495_n.jpg

Kreed

There was a report in my local news about them increasing security on specifically this movie.
It's not based on the recent theater shootings I don't think.

This happened at the showing I went to as well (there were police officers at the entrance for the screens showing Straight Outta Compton as well as bag checks). Really disrespectful with the current events going on.

As for the film I enjoyed it, but it definitely felt like Dr. Dre and Ice Cube had the best representations in the film and it felt like Ren and Yella were just "there". Also I wish they could have made the movie feel more like the 80s-90s. Things like hair/clothes/etc... for a lot of the supporting cast/extras gave too much of a present day feel outside of props like phones and TVs.

jmizzal

Yeah i was surprised by the
lack of dre/eazy beef. They'll probably include it in the directors cut (if they do one)

Yup even a scene from the commercial wasnt in it and I heard a few other things were cut due to time, should be a directors cut once on bluray

Are there any documentaries on this story/era? Particularly the Suge Knight shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYXOAgO2U_A

Thats the VH1 documentary on NWA which straight outta Compton seemed like the movie version of that, its very good, also I would love to see a Suge Knight doc too

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yoooo I noticed an uptick in security at my Theatre, but never questioned it. Security at the main door, security at the theatre room entrance, 2 mall security vans driving around... never seen this much security around ever.

Had no clue this was because of this movie. Can't decide to laugh or cry.

Anyways, loved the movie. The audience seemed to really enjoy it as well.

TheOGB

Banned
Saw it earlier today with my sister, it was really damn good. The cast was excellent. Cube Jr., Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell killed it, but I kinda wish there was more for Hodge and Brown to do.
The folks they got for Suge, Snoop, and especially Pac were crazy good matches as well.

The main negative that I can think of was that it felt like it was getting pretty long and rushing to reach a suitable ending in the last half hour. Otherwise it was very well done and had great drama, great humor
I knew immediately what they were setting up when they had those dudes come looking for Felicia lmao
, and great fucking timing. It's nuts how relevant a lot of the first half of the film was, to the point of being unfortunate.

I really enjoyed it, and I'm glad to hear it's a success.

Everything in this movie was deliberate and I loved it. Looking forward to the directors cut complete with Eazy-E and Dre beef.

Who was the other guy with Snoop when he first meets Suge & Dre in the studio?

ezekial45

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYXOAgO2U_A

Thats the VH1 documentary on NWA which straight outta Compton seemed like the movie version of that, its very good, also I would love to see a Suge Knight doc too

This is a great doc. I'm surprised the movie didn't cover much about the music video for SOC. That was a pretty important point in their careers, and it also put them head to head with MTV. Which added to their publicity.

Hopefully Gray's director's cut will be released.

I really wish the movie got more into Suge Knight's strongarming Jerry and Easy to get Dre out of Ruthless/NWA because apparently Suge literally threatened violence and even claimed to be holding Jerry Heller, asking for the contract release as ransom.

And of course some coverage of how he killed Tupac woulda been cool. :p

dyergram

I really wish the movie got more into Suge Knight's strongarming Jerry and Easy to get Dre out of Ruthless/NWA because apparently Suge literally threatened violence and even claimed to be holding Jerry Heller, asking for the contract release as ransom.

And of course some coverage of how he killed Tupac woulda been cool. :p
I'd love a scene where you see him on the phone like;
"We'll be a the road at some point shoot the tupac and try not to hit me in the head"

Sanjuro

I feel like they had a 40% good film, but they wrecked it by trying to shoehorn everything they could think of, compelling not.

Overall not bad though. Guy who played Eric was pretty much the only actor to write home about. Awesome job.

mackaveli

How true is this?

Vanilla Ice explained how Suge knight bullied him, in order to give money to Suge. So he can fund deathrow records.

it was from here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFIcdTnzh44

That's the short version of the story.

watch this for the real story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5b3_aS-Wy8

edit - i've also read that Suge actually dangled Vanilla Ice from the balcony but who knows how true that is, or that Suge pissed on him or some shit like that.

But all must have been forgiven since they've taken pictures together a couple of years back.

Saw the movie last night. Great film. Definitely in my top of 2015. The guy who played Eazy did an amazing job. The whole cast was good tbh. The guy who played
Tupac
looked just like him.

Watched it with the girlfriend this weekend. It was an a amazing film and with Ice Cube and NWA producing some of my favourite albums, it was great to see some context behind the music. I think the actors all did a tremendous job capturing the spirit of their characters. My only complaint would be that Suge Knight's actor was too short. Damn O'shea Jr. had me convinced that he was his father.

Seen the movie last weekend, i thought it was a good movie, i just thought it was too long. Before the movie even started there was a fight... and we were only at the previews at that point. The instigators girl friend ended up macing the theater we were in so we had to switch. i got a free movie pass out of the ordeal so im not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom