• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Outta Compton Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
icecube-atfirstiwaslike.jpg

Is that B-Real in the back there?

ezekial45

Banned
A question;
is there a cameo from Ice Cube or Dr.Dre?

No, but
you do see footage of them during the end credits showing their successes later in life. Which is mostly just stock footage from movies, TV interviews and promotional appearances.

No, but
you do see footage of them during the end credits showing their successes later in life. Which is mostly just stock footage from movies, TV interviews and promotional appearances.

"Ice Cube then went on to be the token "bumbling angry black guy" in movies aimed to entertain white suburbanites."

15-21-jump-street-quotes.gif

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Seen the movie last weekend, i thought it was a good movie, i just thought it was too long. Before the movie even started there was a fight... and we were only at the previews at that point. The instigators girl friend ended up macing the theater we were in so we had to switch. i got a free movie pass out of the ordeal so im not complaining.

Man, I'm reading stories like this all over. Where the fuck are people watching these movies that random fights just start breaking out?

burgervan

Watched this last night and thought it was pretty poor. If I wasn't already a fan of the music, I would've liked it even less. It fell into the biopic trap of being a bullet-pointed list of events rather than telling a concise story about characters.

And everything was handled so bluntly it felt like a cartoon verson of the NWA story. I knew I was in trouble when, in the first scene, someone says, "Damn Eazy, why you gotta be so ruthless?"

I was just waiting for a scene where someone offers Dre some nuts.

The whole thing was too reverential. They just wave off a lot of the darkness, hypocrisy and misogyny in favor of myth-making and lionizing. I don't mind some of that, but a better balance would've been nice. Why no Dee Barnes?!

j-wood

Watched this last night and thought it was pretty poor. If I wasn't already a fan of the music, I would've liked it even less. It fell into the biopic trap of being a bullet-pointed list of events rather than telling a concise story about characters.

And everything was handled so bluntly it felt like a cartoon verson of the NWA story. I knew I was in trouble when, in the first scene, someone says, "Damn Eazy, why you gotta be so ruthless?"

The whole thing was too reverential. They just wave off a lot of the darkness, hypocrisy and misogyny in favor of myth-making and lionizing. I don't mind some of that, but a better balance would've been nice. Why no Dee Barnes?!

Cause Dre is still alive, an Apple board member, and for the most part, the mainstream public doesn't know/talk about that.

Bringing it up would ruin his career in the current social environment.

Gotta remember Dre and Cube were super involved with this. They wanted to tell it how they wanted it told. Of course they gonna play themselves up.

Oddduck

It should be mentioned that Ice Cube is the one who originally pushed for this movie to be made -- not Dr. Dre. So it makes sense that the film focuses more on how Ice Cube remembered NWA's story more than anyone else.

Cause Dre is still alive, an Apple board member, and for the most part, the mainstream public doesn't know/talk about that.

I don't think Dr. Dre has ever tried to hide this stuff from the mainstream public.

There was even an Eminem song called Guilty Conscience -- which received a music video -- where Eminem says "You gonna take advice from somebody who slapped Dee Barnes?"

And then there was this Rolling Stone interview recently.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/dr-dres-ex-michelle-speaks-being-quiet-girlfriend-173158361.html

Dr. Dre confronted abuse allegations during the Straight Outta Compton press tour, telling Rolling Stone, "I made some fucking horrible mistakes in my life.

"I was young, fucking stupid," he continued. "I would say all the allegations aren't true -- some of them are. Those are some of the things that I would like to take back. It was really fucked up. But I paid for those mistakes, and there's no way in hell that I will ever make another mistake like that again."

It's not exactly some secret. It is known. He's addressed it. The reason it hasn't and won't ruin his career is because it was over 20 years ago and he's had zero transgressions since then. This isn't some serial issue like Floyd Mayweather. What exactly do you want him to do?

j-wood

It's not exactly some secret. It is known. He's addressed it. The reason it hasn't and won't ruin his career is because it was over 20 years ago and he's had zero transgressions since then. This isn't some serial issue like Floyd Mayweather. What exactly do you want him to do?

Nothing, I'm not attacking him. I'm just saying, you really don't think if the movie depicted that attack our current media wouldn't jump all over it?

burgervan

Gotta remember Dre and Cube were super involved with this. They wanted to tell it how they wanted it told. Of course they gonna play themselves up.

I'm aware of their involvement and why they would chose to not address it in the movie, but it definitely makes the movie weaker. They could have shown more of the group's darker moments and also shown some of their (presumed)regrets about said moments.

UFO

Banned
I'm aware of their involvement and why they would chose to not address it in the movie, but it definitely makes the movie weaker. They could have shown more of the group's darker moments and also shown some of their (presumed)regrets about said moments.

It's not an apologist movie.

If they had did what you wanted, the movie would have been a lot longer. Cube spoke about this in a interview, they didn't want a long dragged out drama film.

VARIA

I thought it was great. Didn't even feel like 2h30m. And I didn't feel there was any slow down in the second half, if anything it got more interesting and intense seeing Suge rise into power.

mreddie

Good film, I'm really shocked Priority didn't fire Cube after smashing up the office and even more shocked how they were buddies so quickly, I know it's condensed. But it's even more shocking seeing Cube in a trailer for Ride Along 2.

The moment Suge and Heller came on screen, you knew "Oh shit...".

They did skip a lot of details but as people said, the majority of the tale was already, I'm sure no one would have cared about how Suge and Dre hung Vanilla Ice off a hotel balcony or Ren having a music label. Speaking of which, poor Yella and Ren, both were afterthoughts even though they did get their own scenes, I was also not shocked they didn't touch on Arabian Prince or the Dre/Eazy beef but again, 2 hours/30 minutes.

Also, must be the third movie I saw where the opening scene pretty much hooked you in.

How accurate are some of the more extreme events of the movie? Specifically Ice
trashing his agents office witg a bat
and Suge Knight treating his company like a gang haven.

Yoooo I noticed an uptick in security at my Theatre, but never questioned it. Security at the main door, security at the theatre room entrance, 2 mall security vans driving around... never seen this much security around ever.

Had no clue this was because of this movie. Can't decide to laugh or cry.
I noticed that too. I was at Gurnee Mills abd there were three cop vans parked up front.

I noticed that too. I was at Gurnee Mills abd there were three cop vans parked up front.

The ice cube incident is accurate.

Cube's was accurate. As was Suge's. At first DR was professional then after Suge realized it was a juggernaut, he did whatever he wanted.

Death Row was laundering money for Piru and blood gangs. They were heavily involved in gang shit, and it's one of the reasons Tupac got killed.

TBH I'm shocked Suge is still alive.

jmood88

Death Row was laundering money for Piru and blood gangs. They were heavily involved in gang shit, and it's one of the reasons Tupac got killed.

He's gonna live till he's 100. He has some kind of magic that has kept him alive for so long.

Quick

Banned
Got to see it earlier. It was pretty good. The two-and-a-half hours flew by pretty fast.

I had this stupid grin on my face anytime they were in the studio. Especially seeing Tupac and Snoop Dogg.

One of the best parts was Pac doing work in the studio and Dre walking in with a disc, and it was the sample for California Love.

RP912

Banned
Finally seen the movie and holy crap it was a good flick. Whoever played Eazy needs more work pronto. Unfortunately, the other half of the movie killed my vibe when
2pac showed up
. I had to get over what really went down and treated it as a movie. Overall, amazing flick.

The ice cube incident is accurate.

Cube's was accurate. As was Suge's. At first DR was professional then after Suge realized it was a juggernaut, he did whatever he wanted.

Well shit. It's kind of crazy how the original hip-hop industry was so "hood" and now after the first generation has learned and grew it has mellowed out significantly.

Man so many people tried to fuck over Cube.

Well shit. It's kind of crazy how the original hip-hop industry was so "hood" and now after the first generation has learned and grew it has mellowed out significantly.

Honestly after Pac and Biggie died everyone pretty much chilled the fuck out. You had your growing pains but you can see how the rap industry has tried to "clean" its image and true beefs rarely happen.

DMczaf

My favorite outcome of this movie is having a new generation of Eazy-E fans

That actor killed it, especially the ending. Dude had me like ;_;

That wasn't the first generation of hip hop nor the second. its so odd reading you guys talking about this movie since i lived through that period at about the age a lot of you are at now and the movie in fact was very watered down and tame but there is no way to translate the whole of the climate both musically and culturally to todays audience.

If the 80's wasn't gen 1, then what is gen 1?

Gen 1 is late 70's party and battle records, sugar hill, funky four, crash crew that sort of rap. second gen is early 80's eric b and rakim and run-dmc. its one of the reasons KRS-ONE says in early songs that they are new-school but one day will be the old-school in like 20 years.

DMczaf

The opening scene with E made me think, have there been any movies about the War on Drugs in the 80s recently?

I want more of that.

CMYOwAaU8AEfEYr.png:large

Imagine going back 20 years when to a post-NWA Cube was at the height of his involvement with the Nation of Islam, and telling him that he will one day be hailed as an inspirational icon to an audience full of 40-something white housewives who wild out over the crazy brother named Ice Cube from the stupid dope gang with an attitude.

Ice Cube wasn't really about that life, friend. I believe you were baited.

AcridMeat

Banned
Overall I really enjoyed it. I watched a short documentary somewhere on the group earlier this year and got way deep into the history of that period and the music surrounding it so I knew the general story behind it. There were points where it felt a little rushed to get to bigger moments and I wanted to see some more depth but it was definitely worth seeing. I didn't know much about Deathrow and Suge so that was crazy to see.

Loved the
Felicia scene & No Vaseline
The opening scene with E made me think, have there been any movies about the War on Drugs in the 80s recently?

I want more of that.
Absolutely want to see more of this, especially after seeing the interview with the ex-Baltimore cop. The problem is it's still the same shit today so it probably has no chance of getting made.
DOUBLE TOASTED review
Benedict Cumberblack
This was enjoyable. Funny guys.
I was surprised this video wasn't mentioned at all.

Although after seeing the movie I finally know who the white guy is lol. I always thought he was just supposed to be a random record exec.
I would have liked to see their beef in there as well, so we could hear Real Muthafuckin G's.

Saw it last night. I no fan of hip hop and rap, but always respected nwa for their protest music and was familiar with their story.

4/5 movie. For me, the MVP was O'Shea Jackson Jr. Damn he nailed his father perfectly. Of the main cast, Dre was probably the weakest, followed by stanley tucci, who I find to be a mediocre actor.

The movie does kind of lose its focus a bit in the back half, and also I found the last scene a bit weak. But it was a well directed movie.

DMczaf

Saw it last night. I no fan of hip hop and rap, but always respected nwa for their protest music and was familiar with their story.

4/5 movie. For me, the MVP was O'Shea Jackson Jr. Damn he nailed his father perfectly. Of the main cast, Dre was probably the weakest, followed by stanley tucci, who I find to be a mediocre actor.

The movie does kind of lose its focus a bit in the back half, and also I found the last scene a bit weak. But it was a well directed movie.

The dudes playing Eazy E and Ice Cube were the stand out actors for me. The scene where Ice Cube got fucked over AGAIN and came back with a baseball bat and Lench Mob...I felt that shit.

I definitely agree to that. If this movie doesn't at least give one of those two an Oscar nod, its a bit messed up.

Question. The first scene with Dre, what was he listening to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom