• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ha probably remember the stupid things they did as kids. No way my kids go near a quarry like I did.

I notice that kids don't mind so much these days. My nephew would never leave his room if he could, playing video games online all day.

As I said its the parents priority and they know their kids best but it does feel weird. I played a lot of videogames and spent many an afternoon and evening by myself or with friends on my Genesis (Yeah I was Sega man!) but we also spent hours, days even just exploring the woods around our town, riding as far as we could on our bikes before we all chickened out and turned around, and just... doing random shit.

uniform

What's weird is the parents of today were 70's-90's kids themselves so it's odd that they suddenly don't even like their kids leaving the damn house.

I remember in 84 we had a case of poison candy that blew up on the local news and paper. Practically everyone I knew from school wasn't allowed to Trick or Treat the following year, instead the shopping mall had tables set up that we could get candy in a safe environment.

As kids, we were not oblivious to the news, so it's possible that instances like the above, abductions, etc etc have some kind of influence on how some raise their kids when they become parents. I can't speak for prior generations, but maybe the media didn't push out the same fear to parents that seemed to ramp up as years went by.

HStallion

I get some Stephen Kings The Mist, movie version, vibes from the Upside Down setting.

ron_bato

I think the last episode was the only time she wasn't crying the whole time.

I thought she was great. She definitely had to show the most range out of all the actors thus far (I'm only 4 episodes in).

Sure, she cried and trembled a bunch, but given the context
(Hearing your child call out to you for help and you not being able to do anything about it must be a horrible feeling)
, and her characterization I didn't think it was beyond the realm of how her character would react.

There were also different scenes which highlighted her range
(her scenes with Lonnie showed how caring a mother she was, and how she was stronger than what the show had depicted her thus far, in addition to her persistence and belief that she wasn't going crazy despite the world telling her she was.)

joesmokey

I thought this was pretty entertaining. It's kind of like a Mad Libs of tropes, but everything meshes really well together. Definitely worth a weekend binge watch.

An-Det

I ended up binge watching the whole season of it today and it was well worth it. Aside from the first trailer I avoided basically everything on it, knowing only the influences (Spielberg, King, 1980's, etc). The visuals, the soundtrack, the set design all completely evokes the time period and the tone of the setting. The story and characters were fucking great, as well, and at 8 episodes it wasn't padded out at all. The blurring of genre's was super well done and the actors really nailed that balance.

Really curious to see where they go for Season 2. I'll absolutely watch it.

j0hnnix

Just finished binge watching this.. Netflix has another winner on their hands. My god did I enjoy every moment of this.

That ending.

giphy.gif

C4Lukins

Yeah, Ryder was my only minor gripe. She was still great, I agree she could have toned it down a bit. Either way, superb acting throughout.

I thought she was great.
She was playing an emotionally abused woman, who we learn was naturally prone to panic attacks and who had blood relatives with a history of mental illness. Meanwhile her son is missing, and even declared dead, while she is experiencing all sorts of unnaturall phenomena including seeing monsters and being contacted by her dead son, and nobody believes her including her other older son. That was a long sentence, but I think her performance was great considering the character she was portraying.

Fritz

Watched the first two episodes. Fucking love it. Hope it does do something with the cliched escapee from a government laboratory.

C4Lukins

I bet the show gets renewed by the end of this week.

I binge watched it over the weekend, and so did my parents, and two of my friends. The positive praise will spread like a plague.

God damn this show is fantastic!!

Me and the wife both love it! They absolutely nailed the setting. As soon as I started watching I got this feeling that I am instantly 14 again and I got an older kid to rent The Thing or some other R rated thriller, and I'm sitting in front of my TV with my buddies.

It's a powerful mix of nostalgia and homage

CREMSteve

Four episodes in, I adore this. It's so damn well made. The music, my god, the music. Don't want it to end! Netflix continues to kill it with their original content.

Gambit

Only seen episode one yet and love it.

For those who have seen it all. Ok to watch with a 15-year-old girl (who has relatively religious parents)?

They are staying with us for two weeks this summer so I am thinking if that could be their evening entertainment.

SwolBro

Banned
it's an ok show. not great, not bad, entertaining enough to finish.

the best part about the whole thing is the opening credits, because besides that the 80s "feel" isn't all there visually for me. sure, they try to make it seem 80s but you can tell it's not. it's missing something, that special something that only the true 80s films had.

it's a nice try though but i doubt i'll continue beyond this season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For those who have seen it all. Ok to watch with a 15-year-old girl (who has relatively religious parents)?

They are staying with us for two weeks this summer so I am thinking if that could be their evening entertainment.

There's nothing in it that would be inappropriate for a 15 year old in terms of sex/violence/swearing, but if her parents are religious then they might have a problem with the paranormal aspects of the show.

C4Lukins

Only seen episode one yet and love it.

It is very PG-13 in general, in conjunction with the films it is inspired by. There are a few gross scenes, mild cussing like shit, and son of a bitch, but yeah unless she is a complete shut in, it never gets super adult. No nudity, lots of violence but very little gore.

I would say if you were comftarable with letting someone watch Gremlins, or Temple of Doom, there is nothing super adult about the show.

I bet the show gets renewed by the end of this week.

I binge watched it over the weekend, and so did my parents, and two of my friends. The positive praise will spread like a plague.

Gosh I hope it does get renewed that fast. I binged it over the weekend too! It's soo good.

Just finished it and loved it, I don't say that often about anything I watch but it pretty much hit all the right notes with me and even though I knew pretty much from the start that [EP 8 spoilers]
El wasn't going to end up sacrificing herself (assuming she isn't actually still out there in another dimension) I was hoping I was wrong. :( It would be interesting if they made a second season/sequel but at the same time I'm fine with leaving it where they did. Only thing is I have a feeling it'd end up following the same path as movie sequels. I was waiting for Steve to bite it but then they turn him away from being the asshole with the girl so they beat that expectation.

How scary is the series? Ok for an 11 yr old? Plan to start it today!
If this was the 80s or 90s I would have said an 8 year old could handle this ;)

Yeah, it wasn't really scary at all it's not really gory or anything... But what do I know? ET gave me nightmares when I was little (granted I was like three at the time I saw it) and point where I couldn't watch it for years and even when I did there was still a part or two I avoided watching until I was like 12. I also saw Child's Play 2 a dozen times when I was around eight so *shrug*.

What's weird is the parents of kids today were 70's-90's kids themselves so it's odd that they suddenly don't even like their kids leaving the damn house.

24/7 news coverage has really done a number on our psyche. Kids went missing and were killed and everything but unless it got really high profile people generally didn't hear much about it unless they intentionally invested themselves. Also our parents were kids of the 40s-60s where there was even less of that sort of coverage.

Can someone explain to me why Netflix shows aren't a full hour? They don't have commercials so...

If they don't need the full hour there's no point in stretching it out.

Qvoth

the best part about the whole thing is the opening credits, because besides that the 80s "feel" isn't all there visually for me. sure, they try to make it seem 80s but you can tell it's not. it's missing something, that special something that only the true 80s films had.

Burn the heretic! :p

Finished the show and I loved it. It was pretty much an 8 hour movie.

The music and some of the cuts/transitions are amazing. They nailed that 80/90s vibe

Stasis

Absolutely loving this. Wanted to straight binge it but I've got two episodes left and I'm too tired. Can't wait to see how it ends tomorrow, and if there's a plan for a sequel. I assume they'd have to do something given all the praise and high ratings it's getting.

Netflix keeps the roll going.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
2 episodes left and I almost don't want to watch because I don't want it to end. I kept thinking fuck, they're giving us so many questions but this far in I realise they have actually answered quite a lot...

Such a ride, amazing acting, camera work, soundtrack, everything.

Absolutely loving this. Wanted to straight binge it but I've got two episodes left and I'm too tired. Can't wait to see how it ends tomorrow, and if there's a plan for a sequel. I assume they'd have to do something given all the praise and high ratings it's getting.

Netflix keeps the roll going.

Speculation after watching the full thing:
It'd be interesting to see if there are other entities (perhaps some intelligent in that shadow world, and if they'll make their way over.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
watched the first episode but wasn't really feeling it. decided to go back and almost finished episode 3. starting to get into it now.

Gambit

There's nothing in it that would be inappropriate for a 15 year old in terms of sex/violence/swearing, but if her parents are religious then they might have a problem with the paranormal aspects of the show.

Thanks. That should be no problem. Nudity is the only thing.

It is very PG-13 in general, in conjunction with the films it is inspired by. There are a few gross scenes, mild cussing like shit, and son of a bitch, but yeah unless she is a complete shut in, it never gets super adult. No nudity, lots of violence but very little gore.

I would say if you were comftarable with letting someone watch Gremlins, or Temple of Doom, there is nothing super adult about the show.

Great. Gremlins would be fine. And Indy too.

Thanks to both of you. Will suggest it

HStallion

I thought aside from a few minor issues they knocked it out of the park in terms of setting it up as a period piece. Even that home made DnD manual the kids used brings back some serious memories of when I used to used to play games like that with friends. There wasn't an internet or computers to print out these things so you cut them out of magazines, used a hole bunch and made a binder.

Top Bottom