• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Ydelnae

Just finished it. Best show I've seen this year. I so want a season 2, but I'd rather it start completely from scratch. Let the series be an anthology of different supernatural stories, I don't want to discover what happens to the characters in the future and I don't want them to tie up lose ends. Let this story end the way it did, please.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I completely forgot about this. :O It's too late to start a weekend binge now, but this coming weekend I will. So far, it sounds exactly like what the trailer showed. Can't wait.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just finished it. Best show I've seen this year. I so want a season 2, but I'd rather it start completely from scratch. Let the series be an anthology of different supernatural stories, I don't want to discover what happens to the characters in the future and I don't want them to tie up lose ends. Let this story end the way it did, please.

I'm sort of hoping its like this too. You eventually run into the Stargate (show) issue where all the mystery is cleared and the story becomes overly convoluted to keep adding intrigue.

Nameless

This show nails the 80s setting, down to the Tupperware. Such an incredible sense of place. And fantastic music throughout.

spock

Man really loved this show. Wish my kids were old enough to watch it, lol (7 and 8). Its a trip how many easter eggs, past movie references, etc. you can find. The last episode was dropping a ton of "goonies" references.

I really hope they do a second season, yet I do get how going the anthology route might work well. I really want the El plot to resolve happily. Had a lot of feels for that character...

I'm sure it's been pointed out before, but damn does Jonathan look like a young Stephen King.

Gotta imagine that was intentional

I haven't seen anyone mention that El
is basically put into the sensory deprivation tank to basically start doing remote viewing or even a form of astral projection. Most likely in reference to the government's experiments to see if you could kill someone from afar with your mind. Notice how the first person she see's is a man speaking Russian. Cold War and all it was actually a pretty cool moment.

It's literally represented as such? They show the picture of the Russian man to El

aparisi2274

Steve redeemed himself in my eyes
by going back to the house and helping them fight the monster with his sweet ass bat skills.

I thought that that scene was one of the best in the finale.

I wish I had a bunch of people to watch this with in person. Most of my friends aren't in to this type of stuff. Like I would legit binge this at a movie theater. I love hearing/seeing others reactions and impressions.

I think what he is trying to say is that its an alternative dimension with minor differences. In that sense.. the original upside down was just like our world. with its own will and friends. until the creature came into theirs to feed and slowly everything was taken over by this weed (like how it slowly was taking over the lab)

and now El managed to open a portal from the other dimension that is now covered in this stuff with this faceless creature in it and brought it into ours
Yep, this is what I was trying to say.

by going back to the house and helping them fight the monster with his sweet ass bat skills.

Yeah, that scene was one of my favorites.
Steve was a beast with that bat. And I'm glad he wasn't one dimensional. I really didn't expect to like him, but he ended up being a good dude.

Elitist1945

Until Dawn spoilers:
Steve totally pulled a Mike and 180'd

Holy shit I watched the first four episodes just now and I absolutely loved every second. The atmosphere... the look... the sound... Netflix is building a strong name for its tv shows.

Can't wait to see more tomorrow.

Oh, I also love how Netflix just releases the whole thing at once and not one episode a week. This way it makes things much easier for people who have a fucked up free time availability like me.

Vic_Viper

Finished the show last night and omg that ending was awesome. The only thing that posed me off was Mike's sister
getting back together with Steve! WTF! Hoping they are just doing that so they an get together in season 2.

So glad they are already getting ready for season 2. Hope they can continue to deliver quality as good as the first season. Absolute loved it!

XOMTOR

Yup, I was expecting them to
kill him off so that Nancy could end up with Jonathan.
So pleased they took the non-cliche route. Characters were just really well written and acted in this series.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just watched the first two eps, so I'm gonna stay away from this thread until I finish this, but I really like the kids, totally reminds me of myself and my friends at that age. Really good so far.

Just watched the first two eps, so I'm gonna stay away from this thread until I finish this, but I really like the kids, totally reminds me of myself and my friends at that age. Really good so far.

It made me think of Super 8... but this is way better haha :D

Sounds like what John Carpenter wanted for the Halloween series before Hollywood ruined it with endless Michael Myers sequels.

Really enjoyed watching this over the last day or so, and totally fell in love with the music scored by Austin-based S U R V I V E. Did some digging and found a photo piece on their recording spaces from last April (link), instantly spotted a frame on a monitor of the chief and his officers (and a rather glaring PROPERTY OF NETFLIX watermark!)

4p4a2706axjz0.jpg

4p4a2708k4k8l.jpg

I sure hope we see a release of the original score in some form or another.

My thoughts for Season 2 - do an American Horror Story. Same actors, same vibe, but entirely new story and premise. Season 1 was awesome but we don't need to revisit this story, it tied things up so nicely but still left ambiguity

Panda Rin

Show just blew me away. Wow...you really get everything with it, dark, foreboding atmosphere and story, humor, supernatural shit, campy fun....favorite show this year. Doubt anything can overtop it for me for quite some time.

v1lla21

Just finished episode 5. This show is amazing. Anyone else get a close Encounters of the third kind vibe when Joyce was going crazy with the Christmas lights? It reminded me a lot of the dad from the movie.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just finished episode 5. This show is amazing. Anyone else get a close Encounters of the third kind vibe when Joyce was going crazy with the Christmas lights? It reminded me a lot of the dad from the movie.

Yeah it definitely came to mind. Lots of little subtle things like that which are probably intentionally channeling or referencing all sorts of 80s films, Spielberg in particular.

It was her own little mashed potato mountain!

Oh, and then there is that scene at the end of Episode 8 where
she made mashed potatoes and they were too runny, that probably wasn't an accident either

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I was cracking up every time I realized he looked like John Ralphio.

THANK YOU.
The whole time I was like "who does this guy remind me of, who does this guy remind me of"
I was going crazy that I couldn't figure out.

Calcium

Banned
Just finished. HOLY SHIT! What a great show. I am absolutely blown away by how much I enjoyed this. Everything about the show was just fantastic. It's truly amazing that every child actor in this show was phenomenal. I can't wait for a second season. I'm sure it'll be a completely different story with a different cast, but if they can bring the same level of quality I'm in.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just finished. HOLY SHIT! What a great show. I am absolutely blown away by how much I enjoyed this. Everything about the show was just fantastic. It's truly amazing that every child actor in this show was phenomenal. I can't wait for a second season. I'm sure it'll be a completely different story with a different cast, but if they can bring the same level of quality I'm in.

They said it's a sequel season not an anthology, so I feel that implies lots of returning characters! Which is a good thing with this cast.

Calcium

Banned
They said it's a sequel season not an anthology, so I feel that implies lots of returning characters! Which is a good thing with this cast.

Very good thing. If they plan on using the same cast I hope Netflix greenlights the second season ASAP so they can get to filming before the kids grow up.

Oh. My. God. One of my all time fave comics. After seeing what Netflix can do with Stranger Things, I would love for them to pick this up. I was content with just the stellar audio book but I'm so happy to hear that Joe Hill is still pursuing this. This sort of thing is more viable than ever with the renewed interest in comic/horror properties on cable TV.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm already doing a rewatch till the SFV Evo finals and I'm picking up a lot of little things though what I notice is this is not a show that is stuffed to the gils with hard to miss plot points that are just laying around in sight. I actually enjoy that despite loving it in shows like Breaking Bad though of course the second season could dismiss this claim if they start making light of random objects and events and such having far more importance. However as it stands I love how "simple" it is, its not trying to confuse you or throw you through a loop with convoluted plot twists or "surprises".

Not only that but once again I love love love how they straddled the line so well between being true to the 80's style cinema they're emulating but also making everything with the characters, dialogue and interactions so damn natural an authentic. Just the kids playing DnD and their reactions to losing the dice on a hugely important roll and then the mom interrupting everything for Dinner is like something out my childhood. Not just for nostalgia stake but as an actual good piece of fiction and entertainment these things are important and often skimmed over in a lot of other shows.

I said it before but I love how just about every character, even a lot of random side ones play a role in helping advance things along or save the day from the Science Teacher to the random bullies, even if they didn't mean to. Very little at all felt forced or contrived to keep the plot rolling, it all felt natural and earned.
Even Steve Harrington freaking out one moment then realizing if he really wants to do good and win back Nance, and just be a decent human being, he's gotta suck it up and come in guns, or nail bats a blazing. Love him whooping monster ass in that scene.

I don't think I'm exaggerating by saying this may be one of the finest pieces of genre TV and period pieces I've seen in a long damn time and doubly so for Netflix. This makes some of their other huge properties, aka the Marvel stuff, look like amateur hour in a lot of ways. It also helps this was a solid 8 episodes and not stretched out to 10 to 13 like other shows seem to be.

Master Z

Love this show! It seems to be the ultimate homage to 80's cinema and love letter to 80's kids. Influences/nods that I've noticed.

Poltergeist:
The whole "Upside Down" parallel dimension, Will communicating through the lights, the strange organics of the gate, Mike's baby sister looking exactly like the little girl from Poltergeist, the scene where she goes to Will's room and sees the monster about to stretch through the wall.

E.T.
El being hunted by government agencies, being hidden in Mike's basement riding as a passenger on Mike's bike, likes to eat sweets, making Mike fly, the chase scene on the bikes in the last episode.

Aliens:
The Giger-esque monster design, the predatory nature of the creature, how it stores humans for food as well as seemingly impregnates them in the stomach through the mouth

The Goonies:
A group of misfit type kids with an affinity for fantasy and adventure, coming up with clever plans and ideas using their toys and gadgets. Mike reminds me of Mikey, Dustin a combination of Chunk and Mouth, Lucas a combination of Mouth and Data.

Those are the major ones of the top of my head and the more I think about it this show is sprinkled with all types of nods to 80's cinema. The cinematography in the quarantine lab gave me heavy "The Thing" vibes. And that soundtrack man, that heavy synth reminded me of how such that style of music adds to the foreboding and creepy themes. Also the set design and fashion was so spot on. I recognized the damn Tupperware and that brass lamp (in the chief's trailer I think?) we had that exact same lamp!

Also, is it just me or does it feel like the chief was inspired by 80's Harrison Ford? (Rick Deckard, Han Solo, Indiana Jones) The stoic badass with a troubled past and a slight reluctance to show his heart of gold. It was nice that this show also features the best group of kid actors since The Wire, man what a fantastic surprise this show was for me. I really hope this gets renewed and the Duffer Brothers are able to deliver again.

UrbanRats

Watched ep 1.
Was pretty good.
The best part were the production values.

Unfortunately, all the nostalgia stuff, really falls on deaf ears for me (despite being in the right age range, more or less) because i don't care much about that whole Goonies/80s stuff.

Wynona Rider's side of the plot is the most interesting so far, as i'm not finding the kids all that compelling (though it's nice that they gave them quirks) especially the sister plot line.
Seems like things may turn around in the next episode, though.

As far as new series go, The Night Of had a much more engrossing first episode for what are my tastes.

SeanC

Such a great watch. It shows that you can really repackage and take things from other sources and redo them as long as you're honest and true to them and not trying to pass it off as this amazing original thing. It's as much a loveletter if anything. Being derivative isn't a fault if you can still make people invested at each turn and simply fall in love with the storytelling and characters, which this show does spectacularly.

Santiako

Just finished, that was unbelievably good. I'm really looking forward to see more of these kid actors, El is just amazing, even with using so little words.

Top Bottom