• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Ehm, ok.
I never said nostalgia was the only thing it had going for it, so you're barking at the wrong tree.

I'm saying that side of the product (which is undoubtedly there) doesn't add much for me, so everything else is whatever i get out of it.

Sorry might have misread your post as it sounds like we agree.

Khaliss

Banned
In the middle of episode 6 and screw it I'm going all in to finish this NOW.

Agreed, great cast all around, I'm especially fond of Winona Ryder and the sheriff, whose name I don't know but I'be seen him in a ton of stuff :)

And that delicious music.

kris.

Banned
Agreed, great cast all around, I'm especially fond of Winona Ryder and the sheriff, whose name I don't know but I'be seen him in a ton of stuff :)

every time i see this guy in something, i think he's Andy Buckley from The Office. they look remarkably similar

Andy Buckley

andy-buckley-profile.jpg

David Harbour

220px-David_Harbour_(17015322391).jpg

HStallion

Does anyone know where I could buy the
stranger-things.jpg
? That would make a fantastic gift for a friend of mine.

You know, that sums up things pretty nicely.

I'd like it without the "All Episodes, July 15th" blurb in the bottom corner.

HStallion

I'd love it without "Netflix" and perhaps have the title at the top/bottom, out of the way.

It's fantastic art.

I don't mind the Netflix Logo as it is their show. The blurb at the bottom though is useless now that the series is out and just takes up space.

I don't mind the Netflix Logo as it is their show. The blurb at the bottom though is useless now that the series is out and just takes up space.
Oh for sure, that's fair, but it's twice in there ("A Netflix Original Series" and the Netflix logo). I figured they could keep just one/make it smaller so it's a better poster, is all. Then again, I'm really not the type of guy to hang posters. I usually buy them as gifts for friends.

ohNOitsRO

Decided to start this last night at 11 with the girlfriend...

Went to sleep at 7 after having binged it all xD

Amazing show.

I've been looking forward to this a while and when I randomly saw it was out while browsing Netflix, I put it on without even letting my GF know what it was. It was somewhere around 10:30 and 11pm Saturday night and we ended up binge watching the entire thing through sun up lol (I was ready to call it a night about half way through but she was like "Let's do this!"). Loved it. The way the story was unfolding, I really assumed this would be a single season mini series but now I'm really intrigued to see what they plan to do with a second.

HStallion

So looks like there is already talk of Netflix renewing for a second season.

Edit: Checking across the internet even the "bad" reviews still seem to love it and even random comments on sights are all mostly positive if not out right gushing

the best part about the whole thing is the opening credits, because besides that the 80s "feel" isn't all there visually for me. sure, they try to make it seem 80s but you can tell it's not. it's missing something, that special something that only the true 80s films had.

Film (instead of digital) and practical effects is what's missing.

But that probably would not have been feasible with the budget they had.

HStallion

Film (instead of digital) and practical effects is what's missing.

But that probably would not have been feasible with the budget they had.

I know some don't care for the monster CGI but I actually didn't mind it and CGI, even good stuff, can really stick out to me. Probably helps a lot of shots involving it are pretty hectic and fast and its often in the dark or just out of sight.

zoukka

After two episodes the best thing about this has been the intro animations and the synth-waves...

Neither of suit the style and feel of the series :/

Khaliss

Banned
David Harbour

220px-David_Harbour_(17015322391).jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thank you kris! David Harbour, my man.

Just finished the series, never felt so attached to a group of kids since "Stand by me".

HStallion

After two episodes the best thing about this has been the intro animations and the synth-waves...

Neither of suit the style and feel of the series :/

Seeing as Carpenter is a pretty big influence on the shows direction its all pretty fitting. A ton of his movies had moody synth heavy scores in the 80's as well as a lot of other 80's classics like Blade Runner.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's really awesome to see the huge amounts of positive responses on here considering how light the previous thread(s) on this were. Glad this show kicks so much ass.

I know some don't care for the monster CGI but I actually didn't mind it and CGI, even good stuff, can really stick out to me. Probably helps a lot of shots involving it are pretty hectic and fast and its often in the dark or just out of sight.

I thought it was fine but I just don't seem to get scared by CGI creatures the way I do with practical.

Not that I am a purist. In fact I feel the ideal approach would probably be practical enhanced with CGI. I believe that's what they are doing for Alien: Covenant.

The show was fantastic. The 80s vibe was on point. The kids did a great job
minus the more talkative bully
. Loved it. One thing..anyone else think the budget seemed goodbad? Like, some of the visuals looked great..then, in the same episode, take a dip? Pulled me out of it a couple of times, but nothing that would ruin the show for me. Definitely in for another season.

HStallion

The show was fantastic. The 80s vibe was on point. The kids did a great job
minus the more talkative bully
. Loved it. One thing..anyone else think the budget seemed goodbad? Like, some of the visuals looked great..then, in the same episode, take a dip? Pulled me out of it a couple of times, but nothing that would ruin the show for me. Definitely in for another season.

How so? The only poor visuals were related to the monster itself and I found it mostly fine except for some of the lingering shots.

bryanee

Just finished the final three episodes. My god this was fantastic, maybe my favourite show of the last couple of years. There wasn't an episode I didn't enjoy. They nailed the music, the look, the tone, the atmosphere and the characters. I'll buy this on bluray if it comes out.

Season 2 please.

Balphon

I watched the first episode of this last night and it was pretty great; looking forward to the rest.

The music in particular is excellent and reinforces the generally unsettling tone of the show really well.

Boem

It was a fun show, but I'm not quite as in love with it as most of the internet seems to be. It had a great atmosphere, the music was great (especially the intro, although I do agree with the poster above that it doesn't really fit the tone of the show itself), and some great actors. Especially impressed with the kid actors, which is always hard to get right, but they nailed it here.

But what held it back for me was the plot. I know it was heavily inspired by those scifi/light horror movies of the 80s, but there wasn't a single plot development me and my girlfriend couldn't see coming way in advance. Anything related to either the character development or the plot itself was way too predictable and therefore just a bit too boring for us. It was incredibly easy to see how the entire season would play out way before the halfway point. All the other ingredients where there for us - we loved the characters, the setting, the vibe - we just didn't really care at all about what was happening.

Still, I guess that's just a matter of this show not being made for our specific tastes, which is fine. It's definitely a well-made show, just not for us.

T.O.P

Banned
It's 11pm and i got to ep7

To finish it off tonight or not...god I haven't marathoned a show like this since when I was catching up with Breaking Bad

Astonishingly great show. Loved everything about it. I hope season 2 follows along shortly. The show definitely failed to wrap up some loose ends in a good way, leaving me wanting for me.

HStallion

It was a fun show, but I'm not quite as in love with it as most of the internet seems to be. It had a great atmosphere, the music was great (especially the intro, although I do agree with the poster above that it doesn't really fit the tone of the show itself), and some great actors. Especially impressed with the kid actors, which is always hard to get right, but they nailed it here.

But what held it back for me was the plot. I know it was heavily inspired by those scifi/light horror movies of the 80s, but there wasn't a single plot development me and my girlfriend couldn't see coming way in advance. Anything related to either the character development or the plot itself was way too predictable and therefore just a bit too boring for us. It was incredibly easy to see how the entire season would play out way before the halfway point. All the other ingredients where there for us - we loved the characters, the setting, the vibe - we just didn't really care at all about what was happening.

Still, I guess that's just a matter of this show not being made for our specific tastes, which is fine. It's definitely a well-made show, just not for us.

Opinions and all but this something I actually liked as most shows try to be convoluted and obtuse as fuck and make you watch every scene like you're going to miss some tiny but vital detail in the background or something someone said passing. Most shows attempt to go that route which Breaking Bad aced and come nowhere close. I much prefer a simple story that is very well told than trying to do something far more "unique" but fail at getting the basics right which a lot of shows fall victim to.

Jackpot

Banned
Thank God it's only 8 episodes. Can you imagine if it'd been the full 24? Whole subplots would have dragged on and been resolved with zero impact on the ending. In a series like Heroes the Loser Ex-Husband moving back in would have lasted 5-8 episodes.

Wish they'd gone bigger in the finale, but looking at the poor CGI helicopters and demigorgon it's look like they didn't have much budget left.

DeviantBoi

So looks like there is already talk of Netflix renewing for a second season.

Edit: Checking across the internet even the "bad" reviews still seem to love it and even random comments on sights are all mostly positive if not out right gushing
Stephen fucking King praised it.

Can't get any more legit than him.

Bring on season two!

Matty77

I am betting the average viewer only takes 2 sittings to finish this.
My brother watches one thing a night, either a movie or an hour long show, never binges anything and he did it one sitting, said he couldn't stop and he's pissed at me for telling him cause he wants more.

Top Bottom