• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

gamz

What's weird is the parents of kids today were 70's-90's kids themselves so it's odd that they suddenly don't even like their kids leaving the damn house.

I wish my kids would leave the damn house. They would rather play games and hang with me.

Slixshot

Banned
God DAMN! This show was SO good! I literally watched from start to finish last night... ending at 2:30 in the morning for my 5am wakeup... WORTH IT. I need season 2. I'm also wondering if the show is going to based around new stories, similar to True Detective. All new cast and all new story. I think that would be cool.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
What's weird is the parents of kids today were 70's-90's kids themselves so it's odd that they suddenly don't even like their kids leaving the damn house.

I would say that the internet is to blame for kids not playing outside as much. Horrible stories are shoved in our faces 24/7.

danowat

Banned
Man, that incidental synth music........love it.

Anything with Joy Divsion and JaMC is always going to be good in my book.

Plus, the show isn't bad either, they nailed the Amblin-style pretty well, Ryder is pretty good as the manic mother.

I'm only 4 eps in, and I am looking forward to the last 4.

BumRush

Watched the first episode last night and I don't get the hype...

Just kidding, it was fucking fantastic and my wife loved it too. Born in the early 80s, but it doesn't just hit the nostalgia button, it's a good show regardless. Surprisingly great acting, amazing setting and an even better soundtrack. Definitely going to watch the rest.

TasTokyo

Thought the show was amazing. Basically every aspect of it for me hit the mark. The music, performances etc. are all fantastic. I was surprised how beautifully it was shot as well. It is so carefully done and something where no shot ever felt out of place or misused.

I really hope we get a soundtrack release soon.

Also Dustin is easily my favourite.

Only 2 episoes on, and the wife and I really like it. Can't wait to watch more.

Trying not to binge it all at once so we have some nights to look forward on it. :D

LOVE the theme and intro.

BumRush

Only 2 episoes on, and the wife and I really like it. Can't wait to watch more.

Trying not to binge it all at once so we have some nights to look forward on it. :D

LOVE the theme and intro.

Agreed. As painful as. It is, we're going to try to watch no more than one episode a night

hiryu

I have the last episode to watch tonight but man do I really love this show. I am a child of the 80s and I seriously marked out when I saw the Trapper Keepers and clothes.

They really nailed a lot of stuff with this show. I love the DnD references and the kid actors. It's like a mixup of everything I loved as a kid. Stephen King, John Carpenter, Spielberg, the music, Dungeons and Dragons. I mean if I was to make a show something similar would have came out.

I really can't praise it enough. Even the kids are great actors.

Pretty good show I really liked it. I was a little upset because I thought there were 10 episodes but there's only 8. The last 2 were just trailers. Was like noooooooooooooooooo.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think the show should be praised for the casting. Damn near everyone is spot on and all the kid actors are great and those are almost always the weakest parts of even good shows.

gamz

I have the last episode to watch tonight but man do I really love this show. I am a child of the 80s and I seriously marked out when I saw the Trapper Keepers and clothes.

They really nailed a lot of stuff with this show. I love the DnD references and the kid actors. It's like a mixup of everything I loved as a kid. Stephen King, John Carpenter, Spielberg, the music, Dungeons and Dragons. I mean if I was to make a show something similar would have came out.

I really can't praise it enough. Even the kids are great actors.

Loved the Evil Dead poster!

edit: in Jonathan's room.

BumRush

Saw this while browsing Netflix and I have some questions. What type of tone or genre is this? Is this a horror show?

I've only watched the first episode (so I may not be the best judge), but it's no scarier than an episode of X-Files, for example. Spooky / tense, but not "horror".

danowat

Banned
Saw this while browsing Netflix and I have some questions. What type of tone or genre is this? Is this a horror show?

If you've seen The Goonies or ET, you'll know what to expect, maybe chuck a little bit of Cloverfield in the mix too.

I wouldn't say Horror per say, more a sci-fi / fantasy action adventure with a group of kids set in the 80's.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Loved the Evil Dead poster!

edit: in Jonathan's room.
Other posters:
The Thing in Mike's basement
Jaws in Will's room
David Bowie in Jonathan's room
The Invisible Man in
teacher Clarke's living room (obscured, to the right of the TV when he and the woman are watching The Thing)

joelseph

If you've seen The Goonies or ET, you'll know what to expect, maybe chuck a little bit of Cloverfield in the mix too.

I wouldn't say Horror per say, more a sci-fi / fantasy action adventure with a group of kids set in the 80's.

Goonies and ET are more adventure movies. This felt more sci-fi horror to me. If I had to describe it I would say it's Twin Peaks meets Event Horizon.

Aesthet1c

I want to check this out badly, but I'm trying to figure out if I should watch it with my wife or solo. She has a hard time with bad things happening to children in movies, and I know the central plot point is a kid going missing. Seeing this compares to The Goonies, Gremlin's, etc makes me think the tone is light enough that she will be okay with it.

How rough is it GAF?

danowat

Banned
Goonies and ET are more adventure movies. This felt more sci-fi horror to me. If I had to describe it I would say it's Twin Peaks meets Event Horizon.

I disagree, it's pretty much a Goonies remake.

I want to check this out badly, but I'm trying to figure out if I should watch it with my wife or solo. She has a hard time with bad things happening to children in movies, and I know the central plot point is a kid going missing. Seeing this compares to The Goonies, Gremlin's, etc makes me think the tone is light enough that she will be okay with it.

How rough is it GAF?
I'd stay away if that's the case, much of it is implied, but there is at least one part that she won't like........
Although it turns out to be a mannequin

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I'd stay away if that's the case, much of it is implied, but there is at least one part that she won't like........
Although it turns out to be a mannequin

There were a lot of movies like this in the 80's and I'd say its closer to Monster Squad than the Goonies.

chadskin

Two episodes in and ...

1455914625.gif

Can't wait to watch more.

bryanee

I haven't read any ones posts so I don't know the opinions on this show but I just gotta say I said to myself last night I'll watch one episode then go to bed....5 episodes later it was 4am. I love this show.

Alienfan

Enjoying most of the shows aspects, but the love triangle is sooo ughhhh... Hoping the show will subvert my expectations in later episodes, because I can see the cliche direction this is going a mile away.

Man, the music is this show is amazing. Especially the theme tune. I need an album like that.

For me it's basically a little bit of x-files with a little bit of Explorers.

Question: same writers/directors throughout or were the creators only involved with a one episode or so? I don't want to search around in case of spoilers but I don't know these guys and thought they did a great job after one episode.

Linius

Just finished this, fantastic series. Surprise hit for me, hadn't heard a thing about this show up till like a week ago. Netflix is going strong, Bojack already on the horizon.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Fuck, man. I didn't want this to end! Bloody hell, this was such an entertaining show! They really nailed the 80's aesthetic, and those kids! It's like they plucked them out straight from the Goonies or something.

MORE!

dosh

I think the show should be praised for the casting. Damn near everyone is spot on and all the kid actors are great and those are almost always the weakest parts of even good shows.

They absolutely are one of the highlights of the show. Not only do they act really well, but even their reactions and lines of dialogue feel ... well, childlike. Which is surprisingly rare.

I also really hope they're going to release the entire soundtrack, classic rock included. I'm listening to It Follows ost in the meantime, but I need these Stranger Things' themes.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This show was the perfect opportunity to pop the 30 day free Netflix trial, it's awesome as shit, amazing soundtrack too

Patryn

I don't know what Goonies you watched, but while there are hints of Goonies in it, that is far, far from the major influence in my opinion.

It's basically a Stephen King story if it were directed by Steven Spielberg.

T.O.P

Banned
Only watched the first episode but holy damn this is just fantastic so far, amazing sountrack and retro vibes

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't know what Goonies you watched, but while there are hints of Goonies in it, that is far, far from the major influence in my opinion.

Stephen Spielking is my favourite director.

Matty77

I was thinking more Carpenter. Not because of the constant shouts, and I know a lot of the kid stuff evokes Speilberg but the two 80's movies it reminded me of from a technical and style perspective were Carpenters Christine and believe it or not Crinenberg's Dead Zone.

Sulik2

The tone felt very Signs to me mixed with Super Eight. Not super dark, but willing to make you jump and be afraid when needed.

oatmeal

Banned
Show is EXCELLENT

It's Super 8 + X-Files with a splash of Stephen King.

Hopefully they go full anthology. I don't need anymore from this story (even with the dangling threads, they're not important to this story).

This show was originally called "MONTAUK", I wonder if Netflix wanted them to change name to something more generic so they could do anthology styled seasons?

Solo

I'm only 4 episodes deep but man, this thing gets its hooks in you. The child actors are phenomenal, the writing and direction are stellar, it's addictive as fuck and it strikes a letter perfect feel of nostalgia. Where Super 8 tried so hard to be Spielberg with middling results, Stranger Things basically is 70's and 80's Spielberg and does so effortlessly. I'm only half done and I'm already tempted to say it's the best thing Netflix has done thus far.

UrbanRats

I know opinions are different but I'm actually a little annoyed when people just play it for a nostalgia trip. Its not just riding on nostalgia to sell the show otherwise I don't think it would be getting the huge amount of praise that it has so far. Its a period piece that takes place in the 80's and works with both the cinematic stylings of the era as well as the realities of many things from the freedom kids had to the different values and so on. Its nostalgic but that is by no means the only thing going for the show.

Ehm, ok.
I never said nostalgia was the only thing it had going for it, so you're barking at the wrong tree.

I'm saying that side of the product (which is undoubtedly there) doesn't add much for me, so everything else is whatever i get out of it.

Top Bottom