• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Jackpot

Banned
Does anyone have a link to the other OST track the show had. Only used 2 or 3 times, mainly two different chords playing and gives an ambiance of "wonder".

After loving Midnight Special, I should check this out.

Midnight Special and Stranger Things are perfect companions although different in tone. I love both and watched them a week apart which was pretty cool. Now I feel a void that can only be filled by rewatching Super 8 and being disappointed all over again. Maybe I'll stop the movie before the third act this time...

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just finished it! So fucking good!! The best thing Netflix has ever done imo. That finale had me in tears man. What a great fucking show.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just finished it! So fucking good!! The best thing Netflix has ever done imo. That finale had me in tears man. What a great fucking show.

Yeah I'm debating whether I find this to be the finest thing Netflix has produced but I'd probably rank Beasts of No Nation higher but they are very different things.

Shiggy

This one and River, two pretty good Netflix series. Just tell me that this doesn't have a big cliffhanger ending...

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Yeah I'm debating whether I find this to be the finest thing Netflix has produced but I'd probably rank Beasts of No Nation higher but they are very different things.

Yeah I hear ya there, totally different for sure but BONN was incredible and is right up there with the best shit Netflix has done.

This show though, totally exceeded my already high expectations I had for it. shit had me emotional in at least 4 different episodes lol!! I loved the cast/story/setting/music sooooo much. It's gonna be hard to top this.

Bring on season 2!!!

HStallion

Yeah I hear ya there, totally different for sure but BONN was incredible and is right up there with the best shit Netflix has done.

This show though, totally exceeded my already high expectations I had for it. shit had me emotional in at least 4 different episodes lol!! I loved the cast/story/setting/music sooooo much. It's gonna be hard to top this.

Bring on season 2!!!

As far as series goes this might be the best first season I've seen from them and that includes House of Cards, Orange is the new Black and the Marvel shows. Its just an all around solid production.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This TV show has so far beat any expectations I had and continues to beat them. That fucking soundtrack, holy shit. God tier.

Cubas

I just finished the show, and while I liked it a lot, I really hope that all these characters are forgotten in a potential season 2.

This series is a perfect fit for the anthology format.

Midnight Special and Stranger Things are perfect companions although different in tone. I love both and watched them a week apart which was pretty cool. Now I feel a void that can only be filled by rewatching Super 8 and being disappointed all over again. Maybe I'll stop the movie before the third act this time...
noooo not Super 8 so much missed potential.

HStallion

I just finished the show, and while I liked it a lot, I really hope that all these characters are forgotten in a potential season 2.

This series is a perfect fit for the anthology format.

Get ready to be disappointed as that doesn't seem to be what the Show Runners are interested in doing.

There have been many mentions of Amblin/Spielberg, Carpenter, King and even Lovecraft influences and rightfully so... but was anyone else reminded of The X-Files too? You know, a sci-fi/horror TV show with a healthy dosage of humor and government conspiracies...

How so? The only poor visuals were related to the monster itself and I found it mostly fine except for some of the lingering shots.

Yeah.
Didn't want to get spoilery, but that thing just stood out so much to me at times that I shook my head. I feel like the visual and sound design was pretty great otherwise. Certain times it popped up and just winded me how bad it looked.
I guess it's just me. LOVE the show, btw..

Play Oxenfree if you haven't already

mm04

What a great series. Admittedly I'm an 80s kid and my bike was my pride and joy so I could relate. And that is legitimately how it was back then, my parents never knew where the heck I was. My heart hurts for
El and her fate. If she's dead, and I don't think she is, she deserved better. If she's stuck in the upside down, she's all alone.

Play Oxenfree if you haven't already

Just looked it up and it's an adventure game available on PS4? That's something I can never get too much of. I see it has a good Metacritic user score, too. Will definitely check it out at some point, thanks!

edit: Just checked the beginning of the trailer. You know what, "at some point" is about to get sooner.

Gonna order pizza and finish this up tonight. Can't wait. Hopefully the full soundtrack hits at some point, what glorious work that is.

pj

Banned
This show was a lot of fun. I think it came up a bit short of its potential but it gets bonus points for novelty and sincerity.

C4Lukins

After loving Midnight Special, I should check this out.

Stranger Things accomplished what Midnight Special was trying to do.

Midnight Special is sort of a minimalist ode to the 80's. That does not really get the heart of it right. Stranger Things is not only inspired by those 80's films, but accomplishes what was fun about them.

Toa TAK

Banned
Stranger Things accomplished what Midnight Special was trying to do.

Midnight Special is sort of a minimalist ode to the 80's. That does not really get the heart of it right. Stranger Things is not only inspired by those 80's films, but accomplishes what was fun about them.

I didn't think Midnight Special was supposed to be about what made them fun?

Especially with how it dealt with the consequences of those character's actions. Stuff like that wouldn't have happened at, say, E.T. or maybe Close Encounters.

C4Lukins

I didn't think Midnight Special was supposed to be about what made them fun?

Especially with how it dealt with the consequences of those character's actions. Stuff like that wouldn't have happened at, say, E.T. or maybe Close Encounters.

Yeah it is almost a deconstruction of those 80's Sci Fi films. It is almost a look at those 80's films we enjoyed, and maybe at some level taking a bit more realistic approach.

I actually know Jeff Nichols through his wife, not a brag because it has been over a year since we have spoken.

But he is an inspiring dude, and I love his first three films. Midnight Special was just so devoid of emotion that I just did not like it. It was like watching ET or the Goonies, but without the dialogue that creates compelling characters. It felt like a journey of soulless individuals. It was not a very good film IMO, and I wanted to love it.

Toa TAK

Banned
Yeah it is almost a deconstruction of those 80's Sci Fi films. It is almost a look at those 80's films we enjoyed, and maybe at some level taking a bit more realistic approach.

I actually know Jeff Nichols through his wife, not a brag because it has been over a year since we have spoken.

But he is an inspiring dude, and I love his first three films. Midnight Special was just so devoid of emotion that I just did not like it. It was like watching ET or the Goonies, but without the dialogue that creates compelling characters. It felt like a journey of soulless individuals. It was not a very good film IMO, and I wanted to love it.

Well now I'm just jealous. Not envious, jealous.

Though for me, funny enough, it's Shotgun Stories that's the weakest for me, but I don't think anything he's done so far as touched Take Shelter.

C4Lukins

Well now I'm just jealous. Not envious, jealous.

Though for me, funny enough, it's Shotgun Stories that's the weakest for me, but I don't think anything he's done so far as touched Take Shelter.

I would rank them...

1. Mud 9/10
2. Take Shelter 9/10
3. Shotgun Stories 7/10
4. Midnight Special 6/10

Just finished it. Best show I've seen this year. I so want a season 2, but I'd rather it start completely from scratch. Let the series be an anthology of different supernatural stories, I don't want to discover what happens to the characters in the future and I don't want them to tie up lose ends. Let this story end the way it did, please.

WTF? Don't tie up loose ends? Why the heck not? Did you not like these 8 episodes with these characters in that world? No faith in the writers?

I disagree 100%

I want the loose ends tied up. I want more of El and all four boys.

Only eight episodes? I was expecting more.

Anyways, I watched the first 3 just now. I thought about watching the 4th, but I'm tired and figured I'd save it, though I'm itching to find out what'll happen next.

So far, it's pretty damn solid. It also has a really good soundtrack.

glaurung

Binge-watched this last night. Looked great in 4K.

It started out great, but the end bits became a bit predictable and therefore boring.
Joyce and Hopper's long travels in the weird space were way too long.

Still liked it, the smaller bits made it way more enjoyable than the overall mystery. Mad props to the music selection too. Went straight to New Retro after finishing watching.

zoukka

Seeing as Carpenter is a pretty big influence on the shows direction its all pretty fitting. A ton of his movies had moody synth heavy scores in the 80's as well as a lot of other 80's classics like Blade Runner.

But there's no "Carpenter vibes" in the actual show, visuals, characters, directing, it's all quite modern and frankly pretty bland.

Shows live and die with the characters and so far all of them have been pretty uninteresting.

bounchfx

Just finished the fourth ep. It's so damn intriguing and well done. My only real issue so far has been some of the kids reactions to 11s powers. The cheesy shit where something incredible will happen but then a kid acts like that shit was normal or whatever. Besides that it's dope. Fucking can't wait to watch more

+1 for Binge watching all episodes. Ticked all the boxes for me and most of all the pacing was good, which is usually my biggest turn off in shows. Now have 2 shows to look forward to next year.

Lupercal

Banned
What I still don't get is, Jonathan & co hurt the Monster, with a nailbat, fire and a bear trap. But when they agents fired however many rounds at it, it didn't even flinch.

Matty77

Plot convenience
Sure that always factors in, but my personal take was that only the fire actually hurt it and that was at best an inconvenience.

The bullets didn't seem to hurt it but we don't know it's fictional character rules, but it did seem to halt and then advance when the firing was over. As for the bat this is pure speculation and headcanon but I took that scene more along the lines of it being shocked and confused long enough to corral it just based upon not expecting one of the things it had been tearing through that either ran or shot from a distance to actually go toe to toe and physically attack it on its level. I bet if they did not bear trap it in another minute it would have wrecked Steve .

But again that wasn't what the writers wanted.

glaurung

Sure that always factors in, but my personal take was that only the fire actually hurt it and that was at best an inconvenience.

The bullets didn't seem to hurt it but we don't know it's fictional character rules, but it did seem to halt and then advance when the firing was over. As for the bat this is pure speculation and headcanon but I took that scene more along the lines of it being shocked and confused long enough to corral it just based upon not expecting one of the things it had been tearing through that either ran or shot from a distance to actually go toe to toe and physically attack it on its level. I bet if they did not bear trap it in another minute it would have wrecked Steve .

But again that wasn't what the writers wanted.
The only moment when I chuckled was when
Eleven kills nine or more people, Brenner shows up, the monster shows up, two troopers step out of the frame and the monster just mauls Brenner.

HStallion

But there's no "Carpenter vibes" in the actual show, visuals, characters, directing, it's all quite modern and frankly pretty bland.

Shows live and die with the characters and so far all of them have been pretty uninteresting.

You might want to re-watch some John Carpenter movies then because I totally disagree. There are tons of nods to his movies through out and it often felt like if JC directed a Stephen King book.

If you don't find the characters interesting well not sure what to say. It's the best group of kids actors I've seen in a long time.

Fritz

There have been many mentions of Amblin/Spielberg, Carpenter, King and even Lovecraft influences and rightfully so... but was anyone else reminded of The X-Files too? You know, a sci-fi/horror TV show with a healthy dosage of humor and government conspiracies...

I went in pretty blind and actually described it to some friends as an x files episode written by King and directed by Winding Refn

Top Bottom